Postgame: Too much[merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Postgame: Too much[merged thread]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, all but the most optimistic BY’er felt that 3 tough road tests vs ND, Baylor & Louisville would result in 1 or more losses. UConn had a great win in South Bend, but last night had a tough loss against a very good Baylor team. Let’s see how the Huskies do in Louisville before we write this team’s epitaph.

After the game last night, Geno said what many of us were thinking. This team has very little margin for error. There are a number of teams capable of winning a national championship this season. Make no mistake. UConn is one of those teams.

Reaction Score
Tonite was a learning experience. Tonite our team was taught a good lesson and I bet everything Geno and his coaches have been screaming about came to light tonite. Now the players know what they have to do if they want to get better. Baylor played great and was clicking on all cylinders. UConn wasnt. Im not gonna write about everything that went wrong because everybody else in other threads has. All we can say is we played poorly and we have alot to work on. Tonite we found out where are weaknesses are. Tonite they were exposed. We have a great team with alot of fire power. Tonite we didnt. Give credit to Baylor they played and executed great. As poorly as we looked tonite we are not that bad. Some of our fans are picking at everything that went wrong. When you play poorly everything seems to go wrong and nothing seems to go right. When you play poorly sometimes your attitude spirals down. That happen to a few players tonite. Our poise was off. Our instincts were off. At time we looked scared, hesitant and lost. Thats what happens when you play poorly. We need everybody else to step up not named KLS or NC . We have the talent and the players. Next stop is Houston. So lets forget this game and stop dissecting it. The game is over. We lost. We learned. The only word we have to remember is NEXT and thats Houston .

What went wrong? SIZE. That's all. Phee couldn't get any shots inside against 6 5, 6 7---it is the Griner story with added 3 point fire power.
Uconn PLAYED GREAT. Twice they were down by 10 --twice they came back.
The one element some of us have been screaming about and Uconn didn't get (you can't always get the Xmas presents you want) is SIZE, Tall, Wide.

What went right? Walker and CW drilled big 3's when needed. Touly was very effective on defense against Brown, I would have kept her in. Katie Lou and Danger nearly killed themselves trying to win---I call that a plus.
Get real Uconn fans--Uconn played great for the most part were done in by SIZE---

Reaction Score
Shuffled around? WHAT?! Who exactly could get shuffled?
Coombs has been a better on ball defender than Williams and Williams has been inconsistent with scoring. Walker is good for a few points and rebounds, but ONO or Irwin could probably match the rebounding, but don’t get enough opportunities to take their shots so I get why they (and the bench as a whole) can’t score. Nobody wants to take a shot from the bench. Point is if these are REALLY the best 5 UConn has, UConn will go another year without a championship.

Reaction Score
Too much size. Too much Cox (the difference maker imho.) Too much everything.
(And the size problem only gets worse next year.)

We were manhandled for much of the game but got some gritty play to stay in it.

Baylor is a bad matchup for this team. Hope to not have to face them again.

First non-OT loss since? 2013?
SIZE and very good 3 ball shooting--bad combo for Uconn. But give Uconn it's due HEART and determination kept this from being a slaughter. Lots of positives that this team brought to bear: Touly managed Brown. Coombs played and didn't hurt. CW-Walker hit big 3's when needed. Katie lou, bless her heart--tried desperately.
It is a repeat of the Griner era with steroids and more bigs and fire power---No shame in losing when you are out Sized but not out HEARTED. Kudo''s to the whole UConn team Geno on down.

Reaction Score
Shuffled around? WHAT?! Who exactly could get shuffled?
My deck can't be shuffled. You can only shuffle when you have a lot of big cards to play. Geno/Uconn has 5 sometimes 6 cards to play-- If big kids don't want Uconn -they won't come. If anyone has an idea how to fix that, that could work, I'd like to read that comment.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This Uconn team is not a very good passing team.
Stats show otherwise.

1546607128618.png

Reaction Score
For those who think Geno has been too rough on Walker, well, tonight was the game -- Baylor put it in her hands and she didn't excel. She wasnt terrible -- I was pleased with some of the things she did -- but she wasnt clutch either.
Whoe--Cowboy! Whom of the 3 (other than Danger and KLS) were Ms Clutch in this game? Walker hit 2 big threes, defended a player 6 inches taller. CW, I love this kid, faded for the most part as did the UConn team against SIZE and good defense.
I'll never be convinced the humiliation of sitting on the bench for long stretches did Walker one bit of good Weight and Strength she entered this year with was done by her and her alone. To her personal determination, she fought through the public humiliation and worked on her strength where another player of her caliber may have transferred.
She is certainly due huge credit for that and that alone.

Reaction Score
The ways I thought we would lose did not happen but we still got our butts whipped

1) Never had any foul trouble
2) Shot well from 3pt

Never thought we would be so intimidated in the interior that we could not get our share of easy baskets. :confused:

Uconn lost the game, true. No one beat their butts. How does 6 1, 6 2 go against 6 7, 6 5, 6 4 ---on the interior and not get rejected.
The real wonder is: Why didn't Baylor win by 50? DETERMINATION and HEART, that' why.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UCOnn looked like a team that couldn't focus, couldn't run its offense and couldn't make shots., Collier and Samuelson started the game off the way they have recently, missing everything. Have you noticed that, by the way? That in the first quarter, neither seems capable of hitting anything. They usually come around but in this game,. against those bigs, they were not going to get back in the game by driving to the basket and getting points that way.

And I say this as an admirer of Collier: Have you noticed how it seems like she's missing more than usual? It would be interesting to work up some stats, which I don't have the time or patience to do, but it seems that way to me. She seems to be missing a lot of the first of two free throws, too.
Have you noticed that with Gabby and Azure gone, Napheesa is now the focus of opponents' low post defense?

It appears that this is one of those teams that does or cannot respond when Geno tells them to do something. It also did not appear that he or the team had any kind of answer for the very large pl;ayers they confronted last night. This is not a game where subbing more would have helped. UConn's bench players are on the bench for a reason.
Actually, it looks like a team with young/inexperienced players that lost its composure when its two best scorers were well-defended.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Came down with something before the game and just recorded it. Terrible game in a bad match up. Not looking forward to watching it. Go find another talented Big Geno & Co.!

Reaction Score
Kind of like the Mississippi State game where UConn’s offense was just totally out of sync, much in part to the other team’s defense.
Uconn's offense is: Rebound , make the outlet pass, fast break. Inside give the ball to Phee, shoot from the outside.
With Uconn outsized at every position, Uconn only got a rare miss or stray rebound. No fast break. Out rebounded on both boards by SIZE and lots of it, no put backs and Phee was blocked more in this game than in her total career. SIZE.
Uconn kids have more talent and determination and energy than Baylor---Uconn didn't give this game to Baylor, at least twice from 10 points down, Uconn came back against better than good defense and SIZE. Give these Dogs their due, I'm so proud of them--they didn't throw in the towel, they didn't look lost or we are losing-- Mulkey was sure he would lose this game up to the 2 minutes left in that game --that's how much she respects and fears Uconn.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
If you were in chat last night you would have seen this team skewered, killed, lashed, bashed, vilified and killed by the chatters. Sad.

UCONN had a long layoff and this game was erroneously scheduled. Should have had a game just before this one.

Reaction Score
Uconn lost the game, true. No one beat their butts. How does 6 1, 6 2 go against 6 7, 6 5, 6 4 ---on the interior and not get rejected.
The real wonder is: Why didn't Baylor win by 50? DETERMINATION and HEART, that' why.
UConn has three of the nation's four #1 high school recruits in its starting lineup (as pointed out in last night's broadcast, Baylor has the other one). That probably helps!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Came down with something before the game and just recorded it. Terrible game in a bad match up. Not looking forward to watching it. Go find another talented Big Geno & Co.!
You and me both. I thought I just had a cold, now I'm afraid it's strep...

Reaction Score
Defense wasn't terrible. when you shoot 29% from the floor you won't beat hardly anyone.
Strange as it sounds, I am less afraid of Baylor in the playoffs after last night. I just don't see UConn playing this poorly again, particularly in missing/making open shots. Geno will have them running Baylor bigs INTO picks, not running around them as KLS and others did last night. As most AAU coaches know to do when playing a much bigger team, he will have team set double screens and set them closer to the basket. Last night our picks were pushed out so far the resulting shots were Typically VERY long 3's. So many tactics Geno can do. Baylor played great but even with a repeat performance at that level, UConn will not ever shoot 29% again.

Reaction Score
Have you noticed that, with Gabby and Azure gone, Napheesa is now the focus of opponents' low post defense?

Actually, it looks like a team with young/inexperienced players that lost its composure when its two best scorers were well-defended.

I agree with most I take exception to the words "lost their composure" .Even Coombs when thrust in to sub for CW played with composure. CW, a Frosh, who never saw this much size, talent and tough defense, didn't have the experience to know how to make through to score. Walker nearly the same. What you haven't seen before you need practice and experience to know how to handle it. How could Geno replicate that size in practice??
I give Walker an A, CW B, Coombs a B plus, Phee an A minus (only because she missed shots she usually made) , KLS A plus, Danger A plus, Touly a B plus or A minus.
I'm so proud of how WELL they all played against very good defense and size at every position. There is no shame when you gave it your all and that was over come by SIZE.

Reaction Score
Observations:

1. Just one game. UCONN can adjust. UCONN coaches also have to evaluate themselves
2. In this game, UCONN only had 3 of 5 players "ready" to score: Pheesa, KLS, CD. Contrast that to other seasons when UCONN always had 5 players on the court "ready" to score
3. Last night, UCONN needed a point guard who could penetrate, create, and score if needed. Wasn't' there last night.
4. When you play a physical team, you gotta have some bench. UCONN players looked gassed in 2nd half
5. Great defense usually wins close games
6. I look back on all that ND suffered through last year, and, came out the other end with the National Championship. Was impressive, and UCONN coaches need to figure out how they can come out of this game stronger

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Tough game last night. Lost on the offensive end. Defense wasn't bad. But UCONN couldn't hit their shots. They had some open looks. Didn't expect an undefeated season. Geno played 8 players. That's a positive.

Time to move on to Houston.

Reaction Score
The problem is, there's no one pushing Megan Walker for a starting spot, she's there by default. If we had any other options at the wing, former #1 recruit would be sitting.
Would have liked to have been able to sub her out during her shooting draught, but may be a bit quick to pull plug on Walker based on one game. If we only used this game, we might bench LKS and Williams as well. Walker has been solid all year. She was one of the only UConn players to get open shots but missed. Some nights this happens.

Reaction Score
UConn has three of the nation's four #1 high school recruits in its starting lineup (as pointed out in last night's broadcast, Baylor has the other one). That probably helps!
I hope you notice that having number one players doesn't always mean an NC or that you can win against a talented team with size at every position and on the bench.
Add to that the rust of Xmas vacation, travel, and a VERY hostile arena.

Reaction Score
I think it really came down to the following:

Collier was going to have a hard time with Baylor's interior size.
They made a concerted effort to shut down Katie Lou (switching on screens)
They challenged Meghan, CW or CD to beat them

Also, maybe 0 fast break points and no penetration (draw the bigs) and dish by CW

Reaction Score
That is one heck of an outlier then. Every other team in contention for a #1 seed with the exception of Louisville has already lost a game. This may be a simplified way of looking at it but could any other team go in to Waco and make out better than UCONN did tonight? Could any other team go into ND and do what UCONN did earlier in the season. This loss stung and exposed a weakness (size to adequately defend the post) UCONN has been masking for 3 years now. Congrats to Baylor but let's not over react: There aren't 4 better teams in WCBB that UCONN even if they were to lose to Louisville.
UConn shoots 29%, still keeps the game close and you are throwing in towel for season? Geno made few adjustments last night other than a few extra minutes of substitutions so would expect things to be different in future. Few of us expected UConn to go undefeated so suggest not letting the post game hang over take you to extremes. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom