Postgame: Too much[merged thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Postgame: Too much[merged thread]

Reaction Score
1546609770702.png

Reaction Score
I’d say it wasn’t so much the defense as it was the rebounding. A lot of missed ended up in the hands of Baylor on both ends of the floor and Baylor had a good amount of second chance points.
46-43 edge. Looking at the stats before posting might be a good idea. Rebounding did not win the game.

Reaction Score
Coombs has been a better on ball defender than Williams and Williams has been inconsistent with scoring. Walker is good for a few points and rebounds, but ONO or Irwin could probably match the rebounding, but don’t get enough opportunities to take their shots so I get why they (and the bench as a whole) can’t score. Nobody wants to take a shot from the bench. Point is if these are REALLY the best 5 UConn has, UConn will go another year without a championship.
Does the refs really allow players to shoot from the bench?? Like CW and Walker (both Frosh in terms of actual Div game experience) they have learned that you feed Phee, KLS and Danger --but are allowed to take the open shots. When the going gets tough the underclassmen typically look in the eyes of the Seniors--if they are confused or frightened that filters down. Phee, while not frightened, was a bit confused because she had never been blocked so often or easily before.

Reaction Score
you guys do realize they played 2 games in a course of about a month right? Not making any excuses but there's bound to be rust that way. Baylor won, it's not the end of the world. We're a spoiled bunch and ready to feed our players to the wolves whenever these loses occur.

We place way too high of an expectations on the team, not realizing who we got coming in and who we lost...especially height wise. It's January....give it time. There's still alot of games to be played.

Everyone have a HEALTHY New Year and just enjoy the ride!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
you guys do realize they played 2 games in a course of about a month right? Not making any excuses but there's bound to be rust that way. Baylor won, it's not the end of the world. We're a spoiled bunch and ready to feed our players to the wolves whenever these loses occur.

We place way too high of an expectations on the team, not realizing who we got coming in and who we lost...especially height wise. It's January....give it time. There's still alot of games to be played.

Everyone have a HEALTHY New Year and just enjoy the ride!!!
Welcome back! I haven't seen you for a while.

Reaction Score
Hmmm

“One of the first things that we said when we got to the locker room, and when Coach came in, was that we really need to take this loss and we can’t just let it go," Collier said. "We really have to see what our individual weaknesses are, and if you need to get in the gym you need to do that. If you need to learn the plays, you need to do that. You really need to look at yourself and see what your weakness was this game and try to build on that otherwise this loss was for nothing.”

Unfortunately, no amount of effort or focus, can fix issues with height and athleticism.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season, all but the most optimistic BY’er felt that 3 tough road tests vs ND, Baylor & Louisville would result in 1 or more losses. UConn had a great win in South Bend, but last night had a tough loss against a very good Baylor team. Let’s see how the Huskies do in Louisville before we write this team’s epitaph.

After the game last night, Geno said what many of us were thinking. This team has very little margin for error. There are a number of teams capable of winning a national championship this season. Make no mistake. UConn is one of those teams.

Notre Dame didn't have Cox or Brown. Old Optimist Dude. Phee could not get her normal inside shot off, they were blocked. Then her mid range shot didn't fall--trying too hard. She did take the ball away from Brown on a rebound. If Phee had her usual game that's a win. Geno didn't have to say the obvious: Many here on the BY have been lamenting the team does not go beyond 5, 6 in a pinch (I think Touly did well). The margin gets to be much much less again SIZE in numbers along with talent.
Oldude don't lose that Optimism!!!

Reaction Score
Baylor snapped UConn's 126 regular season wins but apparently they were not enough. Is there such thing as a "sure thing" in life?

How many times has it been said UConn seems to bring out the best in opponents? Baylor (OU and Cal) did just that last night. If Kim can bottle this game going forward, will be interesting to see how they fair the rest of season. I'll just say the target on the back of the jersey's just got too heavy for this game.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Napheesa vs Baylor.jpg

In the loss to Baylor last night, UConn missed 48 of their 68 shots. The three best players, (KLS, Pheesa and Crystal) went 4-16, 6-18 and 4-18 respectively. That totals 38 of the 48 misses. Game over, turn out the lights.

If the 48 misses don't explain the loss. How about points in the paint? Baylor = 52, UConn = 10. Or maybe Fast Break points? UConn = 0. Or Katie Lou and Crystal missing 15 threes and making only 5. Or bench points...? UConn = 0.

Ok, I guess there are many numbers that explain the loss to Baylor. Best to put this game film away and never watch it. Next up is Houston on Sunday.

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
Does the refs really allow players to shoot from the bench?? Like CW and Walker (both Frosh in terms of actual Div game experience) they have learned that you feed Phee, KLS and Danger --but are allowed to take the open shots. When the going gets tough the underclassmen typically look in the eyes of the Seniors--if they are confused or frightened that filters down. Phee, while not frightened, was a bit confused because she had never been blocked so often or easily before.
And wouldn’t it be nice to have a team like UConn did last year where there was no deferring? It was anyone can score at anytime from just about any place so long as it was a good shot. Now it’s Lou and Pheesa with a bit of CD mixed in and then occasionally Meg and CW get a bucket. If there are not 5 players on the court that have the confidence and ability to score or at least make plays on either end of the court then what happened last night will happen again.

Reaction Score
Welcome back! I haven't seen you for a while.

Thank you, Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

Yeah, i most lurk nowadays. This board the past couple of years has changed and I don't think it's for the better. I see a bunch of new names that likes to call themselves fans but cut down on the team so much. So with the old adage, "if you can't say anything nice....don't say anything at all" has become my mantra when it comes to posting.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
On defense Brown guarded Walker and pretty much never left the paint. Baylor dared Walker to make shots. She made 3. The entire UConn team shot poorly but not making Baylor pay for parking Brown in the lane all night sure hurt. Brown was never forced to move and guard anyone on defense. She clogged up the lane and UConn was left shooting jump shots.

Out of all the assessments of our offensive problems last night, this one is the most accurate and cogent. If we have the ball, unguarded, 12-15 feet from the hoop and cannot produce points, our offense will wither. Gabby had that happen to her during her first years, but fixed it by learning to hit those open shots and drawing out defenders from the low blocks, opening up that area for teammates or blowing by for layups. Walker can learn the same thing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Baylor snapped UConn's 126 regular season wins but apparently they were not enough. Is there such thing as a "sure thing" in life?

How many times has it been said UConn seems to bring out the best in opponents? Baylor (OU and Cal) did just that last night. If Kim can bottle this game going forward, will be interesting to see how they fair the rest of season. I'll just say the target on the back of the jersey's just got too heavy for this game.
1546611799974.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thank you, Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

Yeah, i most lurk nowadays. This board the past couple of years has changed and I don't think it's for the better. I see a bunch of new names that likes to call themselves fans but cut down on the team so much. So with the old adage, "if you can't say anything nice....don't say anything at all" has become my mantra when it comes to posting.
Happy New Year!

Stick around - post more often. If we can get more people like you posting, we can change the tenor of the board.

Reaction Score
Since they came back for Oklahoma they have been out of sorts... Shooting has been poor overall and they seem lethargic. There's a lot of time between now and March but there's a lot of work to be done that winning has caused many to overlook. And somebody ask Crystal to stop shooting these hail mary 3s she's grown accustom to taking. Lol. Win or lose... Go Huskies!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You and me both. I thought I just had a cold, now I'm afraid it's strep...

I was hoping a win would lift me up. You had the same thought I suspect. Woe is us. I just shed the worst cold in a decade and I have another!!! Was a bad omen for the Huskies. Still love em though. Hey Geno, size matters!

Reaction Score
Shuffled around? WHAT?! Who exactly could get shuffled?
Exactly! It only gets worse in the coming years. It's going to be like when Taurasi finally graduated. UConn remained relevant, but didn't win any championships for a few years.

Reaction Score
Exactly! It only gets worse in the coming years. It's going to be like when Taurasi finally graduated. UConn remained relevant, but didn't win any championships for a few years.

Is UConn the only team that should win the NC? Isn't this good for basketball?

Reaction Score
I normally hate the "what if?" games :rolleyes:... but just for fun, What if... KLS, Pheesa, CD hit 25% of their missed shots (admittedly that brings their shooting percentage for the game to close to 50% but they are all very capable of that) ::) ....and assume these additional mades were only 2 pointers, it comes out to 19 or so points and UCONN wins by 8 :cool::... and if only 2 of them made 25% of their misses it's still 12 or so points and UCONN wins by 1 :cool:.. Just a "what if"... NO INTENT to get into a debate. Just pointing it out because I don't think these 3 will miss this many shots in the same game again :confused:. UCONN lost...YEP...that's the truth (no "fake news"...as much as we might wish it to be so). There is a lot of season to go, a lot of games to be played, time to continue to develop the team into a championship squad. GO HUSKIES!!!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
This was my first time really seeing Kelani Brown against elite competition and it seems that when she puts her mind to it, she's un-guardable. That's a legit WNBA center on the floor when at the peak of her capabilities--a tough match up for any team.

Reaction Score
Too much size. Too much Cox (the difference maker imho.) Too much everything.
(And the size problem only gets worse next year.)

We were manhandled for much of the game but got some gritty play to stay in it.

Baylor is a bad matchup for this team. Hope to not have to face them again.

First non-OT loss since? 2013?

Somebody should have sweet-talked Z into another year; we shoulda continued to the hoop for pullups instead of running those non-productive, offensive sets. I know that's what Tennessee does, but last night, it could have been an option for us. Twenty-twenty hindsight begets clinical regrets. Kudos to Baylor's swarming defense. Better now (if it had to be in my lifetime) than in a final four game.

Reaction Score
This was my first time really seeing Kelani Brown against elite competition and it seems that when she puts her mind to it, she's un-guardable. That's a legit WNBA center on the floor when at the peak of her capabilities--a tough match up for any team.
Yeah she looked like a monster out there, and I especially liked the way they used her and Smith - that was unstoppable last night - while I feel like the team did a good job on Cox. Coach Mulkey has a great team, and they too have a few more months to get even better for the tourney.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom