Post practice quotes - 6/5/2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post practice quotes - 6/5/2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"I tried to be a vocal leader (Monday), grabbing the freshmen on the side, talking to Sam, Donovan, Hass," said Karaban, a redshirt sophomore. "We lost one of the best leaders ever in Andre (Jackson Jr.). Me and Donovan have to step up being better leaders, using our voice more, as well as Tristen and Hassan, to make up for the leadership we lost."

Alternate access:

Why UConn men's basketball team's returning core will be key to NCAA title defense: 'Big Jump Group'

Reaction Score
“Today is the end of last year. Today starts a new season, today starts a new year and now we’re trying to achieve the same goal with a whole new, different team. It’s going to be difficult, last year wasn’t easy, but we’re all willing to put the work in,” Donovan Clingan said, sweat dripping down his face.

Alternate access:
Defending champ UConn starts fresh in summer workouts; Clingan ready to let 3s fly

Reaction Score
“Today is the end of last year. Today starts a new season, today starts a new year and now we’re trying to achieve the same goal with a whole new, different team. It’s going to be difficult, last year wasn’t easy, but we’re all willing to put the work in,” Donovan Clingan said, sweat dripping down his face.

Alternate access:
Defending champ UConn starts fresh in summer workouts; Clingan ready to let 3s fly
Let's get the FF % over 50% before we start seeing 3's.

Reaction Score

This kinda mimicks the sentiment that was leaking out before the season that dauster made that the staff was worried about not Newton being the guy they thought they were getting, and being worried about the position. Glad to see he’s using that this offseason

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This kinda mimicks the sentiment that was leaking out before the season that dauster made that the staff was worried about not Newton being the guy they thought they were getting, and being worried about the position. Glad to see he’s using that this offseason

Dauster has a good relationship with Hurley. Some of the stuff he says in his podcast, you can tell it's not speculation. I would wager his comments on Newton and his leadership is one of those things that came from Dan, not because Hurley doesn't think he can be a leader, but to light a fire under him. Looks like it's working.

Reaction Score
Over/under on DC with more made 3's next season than Sanogo had this season??
I'd like to a least see his first before making predictions. I know there are reports of him hitting threes in practice, but over the years I have also heard many reports of poor free throw shooters who can't miss in practice. Either way I guess it's not a bad strategy to put the threat of the three pointer in other teams head.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Alternate access:

Head coach Dan Hurley’s voice was groggy, tired after its first day back. “My coaching voice. it’s been nothing but compliments and easy conversations and today was the first time in a while I got a chance to get after some people and correct some things and coach. It’s so much fun to coach,” Hurley said.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Over/under on DC with more made 3's next season than Sanogo had this season??
I'll settle for DC going two for two on three point attempts in the first few minutes of the national semifinals.

If he matches AS on that I'll view it as more than enough. He doesn't need to surpass him.

Reaction Score
Clingan feels he’s a knockdown shooter and if so who is going to block him? We’ve all seen the video of him making 3 after 3 in practice and he has a perfect release (wish AJAX had it).
Making them in games is simply a function of confidence and having the mindset of Hawk who was never going to stop shooting them no matter what. Shooter have streaks good, bad, hot cold but we have to give DC rope here and make him shoot them because it will be needed in March.
‘I would also like him to take the foul line and inside the 3 shot even though he’s most dangerous close in. And if he gets doubled we have other guys who will benefit as long as he can give it up, which it seems he;s actually better at than Sanogo.

Reaction Score
I expect huge things for Tristen this season. The best thing for him and us was that disciplinary bump midseason. After that, he bought in and reaped the benefits. Saw he and believed firsthand what he can accomplish when he listens to Hurley. I honestly believe he can be first team big east

Reaction Score
I expect DC to be spending a lot of time next year shooting FTs after tough fouls.. Would be great to see him groove his stroke into a more predictable and efficient style.. Adama's progress over his three years at the FT line and his FT%s was impressive.. Good example for DC to aspire to.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Top 5 pick next year.
Going to be cool and interesting seeing 5 capable shooters on offense. Should be a lot of room to attack the paint for guys like Castle, Newton, and Ball.
I love DC but to be a top 5 he will have to get a little quicker, his speed up and down the court is + right now, I am speaking about his lateral movement when on defense and his first step when he needs drive to the basket when he is being guarded closely inside 17ft. If he takes more than 80 threes and shoots above 36% then maybe he makes your prediction come true.

Reaction Score
Well, there's definitely something wrong with the way the NBA plays, but maybe that's my 80s and 90s NBA bias showing. Give me defensive battles in the 85 to 100 point range any day. These 130 to 140 games make me vomit.

Any time someone says "the NBA doesn't play defense," I am 100% sure they actually either don't watch the NBA, or have 0 idea how the game of basketball works.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
DC should be concentrating on a midrange game as AS should have done last off season. A 7'2" with a pull up jump 10-15' from rim would be a nasty weapon and something he would need in the NBA.
Shooting 3s are fine but he should be refining his foot speed and defending without fouling.
I see a huge year for DC in 2023-2024 - this team will need it.

Reaction Score
DC should be concentrating on a midrange game as AS should have done last off season. A 7'2" with a pull up jump 10-15' from rim would be a nasty weapon and something he would need in the NBA.
Shooting 3s are fine but he should be refining his foot speed and defending without fouling.
I see a huge year for DC in 2023-2024 - this team will need it.
He actually needs to learn how to operate in the post, which I think will happen. He just needs to slow down a little bit and develop one go-to move. He is going to be dominant in many games just from catching and finishing and putbacks. I would actually rather him take 3s sometimes and do the majority of his work down low than work on his midrange game. Adama had a little bit of a pump fake and dribble drive game that I don't think Clingan can develop for this season. But Clingan will show his passing skills this season which is really exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom