Post Mortem Army | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Post Mortem Army

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tyler is definitely our QB going forward. With him on the field our offense can put points on the board even with a weak offensive line. A little history on his family as the UConn bio is a little misleading. His father Sam Phommachanh was a stand out QB at Harding High School in Bridgeport in the late 80’s and early 90’s. His brother Taisun also played his freshman and sophomore years at Harding before going to Avon Academy his last two years in HS. Taisun was an instant sensation at Harding his freshman year and was recruited by all the major colleges. After that the family moved to Stratford, and not too long after lost their new home in a tragic fire. Tyler’s mom is Haitian, and his father Sam and extended family (grandmother Kane) are Laotian. Tyler was also recruited by Rutgers, BC, Coastal Carolina, among others. Tyler played his high school ball at Bunnell HS in Stratford his first two years and transferred to Avon Academy after that. Steven Krajewski will be his backup, and a dam good one. In some games depending on the defense UConn sees, I can see Steven Krajewski getting significant playing time. Against a defense that has a strong pass rush though, Tyler has to get the call. View attachment 69825 View attachment 69826

Avon Old Farms you mean right? Looks like a great family. Nice to see a UConn kid that really wants to play football.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Spanos seems like a great guy and I hope he can squeeze some respectability from these players. That being said, he cannot be considered for the HC position next year. Even if we win 3 games this year, we need a fresh start. Hiring Spanos will show that we have given up....
I'll put two exceptions on that, though.

I'll say I agree with this with the exceptions of 1) if he turns this around somehow and 2) if we can't identify the right coach. And I would need both "ifs" to happen, not just one of them.

In other words, I could see a scenario where we extend him a year. I know that sounds very "Warde Manuel-Kevin Ollie contract" like, but this scenario is much different...

Reaction Score
Spanos will not be the HC after this season. This thing needs to get fixed and fixed fast.

He’s probably a great guy and knows some football, but, honestly, between him and Crocker I have never seen a level of defensive incompetence that comes close to what we have witnessed the last few years.

Army could have easily put 80 to 100 on the board yesterday if their coach had been so inclined.

Reaction Score
I think it's funny to think there is any portion of this schedule that we can consider to be the "easiest". This team couldn't beat Southington High School. There's no easy part of our schedule. Losing to Yale will be embarrassing, so if we win one game, that's gotta be it. Not sure I see how we even come close to winning any other game. Would love to be proven wrong, but four games worth of evidence is showing me that I'm probably not....
Thank you for your expert analysis! There are signs of improvement however and there was a lot more energy
on the sideline yesterday! There was no quit! So let’s give these kids a break and stop tearing them down on here.Time to focus
on positives!

Reaction Score
Sadly, if we get two wins this board will be desperate for Spanos to be the coach.

The bar is so low, we have the teams our fans deserve.
Settle down! Nobody said that after yesterday all problems are gone and that we’ll win out. Best I’ve seen is we now may have shot at Yale and Umass. Why is it that some people, regardless of the outcome will have only critical views and act as if they are in the running for next coach because they know everything?

Sure, the game was never in doubt. But it looked different this time.
The offense absent its better talent at critical positions showed something. And they had a 50 yd pass negated for a stupid penalty that didn’t impact play.

sure, Army pulled its starters. But UConn didn’t quit. The team still played tough.

There is clearly some value to this season and getting experience is key. People saw some things to get excited about. I don’t recall that after Purdue. This team today may have beaten HC.

I don’t think Spanos is a bad guy. Quite the opposite. I’m rooting for him to have success. He proved today he would change things up, brought in some help on offense, and the players like him. That alone was something we haven’t seen in 7-8 years.

stop crapping on people simply because they found something to root for or get excited about. Be thankful people have an interest, even if they don’t agree with your assessment.

Reaction Score
Sure, the game was never in doubt. But it looked different this time.

sure, Army pulled its starters. But UConn didn’t quit. The team still played tough.
Get excited all you want, that's fine. But be realistic: but this looks exactly the same as it has, until they took out their starters. Let's stop with the low standards.

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 11.08.24 AM.png

Reaction Score
I didn’t watch the 2nd half, but for the people saying the offense “did nothing” against the Army 1st team, how are you counting the perfect deep ball down the middle of the field on the 1st or 2nd possession that hit Turner directly on the hands in stride that would have been a 70 yard TD? QB should get credit for that.

Reaction Score
Avon Old Farms you mean right? Looks like a great family. Nice to see a UConn kid that really wants to play football.
Actually you kind of hit the nail on the head for me. He is the fist QB we’ve had that looks like he really wants to be out there - he goes for it! He doesn’t give up on plays and is trying to something great. He doesn’t look scared out there - but hungry. And he’s a threat to run at any time - we need a QB Like this with the OL we have.

Steven Krajewski may prove to be the better QB eventually but with the danger of repeating myself, Tyler Phommachanh - well it is his job to lose at this point.

Reaction Score
Actually you kind of hit the nail on the head for me. He is the fist QB we’ve had that looks like he really wants to be out there - he goes for it! He doesn’t give up on plays and is trying to something great. He doesn’t look scared out there - but hungry. And he’s a threat to run at any time - we need a QB Like this with the OL we have.

Steven Krajewski may prove to be the better QB eventually but with the danger of repeating myself, Tyler Phommachanh - well it is his job to lose at this point.

I want football players.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Tyler is definitely our QB going forward. With him on the field our offense can put points on the board even with a weak offensive line. A little history on his family as the UConn bio is a little misleading. His father Sam Phommachanh was a stand out QB at Harding High School in Bridgeport in the late 80’s and early 90’s. His brother Taisun also played his freshman and sophomore years at Harding before going to Avon Academy his last two years in HS. Taisun was an instant sensation at Harding his freshman year and was recruited by all the major colleges. After that the family moved to Stratford, and not too long after lost their new home in a tragic fire. Tyler’s mom is Haitian, and his father Sam and extended family (grandmother Kane) are Laotian. Tyler was also recruited by Rutgers, BC, Coastal Carolina, among others. Tyler played his high school ball at Bunnell HS in Stratford his first two years and transferred to Avon Academy after that. Steven Krajewski will be his backup, and a dam good one. In some games depending on the defense UConn sees, I can see Steven Krajewski getting significant playing time. Against a defense that has a strong pass rush though, Tyler has to get the call. View attachment 69825 View attachment 69826
always seems like a Bridgeport kid has to go up to Storrs to get things moving in the right direction, but youse knew that (mikey, smitty,), amiright?

Reaction Score
Its becoming increasingly apparent that the bulk of the talent on this roster comes from Edsall's last two recruiting classes. Without getting into the quarterback debate yet, Tyler Phommachanh is the most athletic qb on our roster by far. As injuries pile up and some of our older players lose playing time we are going to get very young as the season goes on. I think we will see some gradual improvement in this team during the rest of this season although I am not confident that it will necessarily translate into any wins this year. I am still somewhat optimistic that we can get this program turnaround to be at least a average BSC football program with better coaching and good recruiting class coming year next year ( I hope we can keep the entire class). In the meantime, I will try to enjoy watching more of Tyler Phommachanh, Brian Brewton, Nathan Carter, Keelan Marion, Durante Jones, Aaron Turner, Jackson Mitchell ( leading FBS tackler) and few others who are starting to get some playing time. BTW, it was nice to see Hunter Webb have a nice game.

Reaction Score
Army's Junior 6' 7" linebacker who I think the announcers said led the nation in sacks is certainly an NFL prospect, so there you go
NFL prospect and a projected top 5-15 pick is a BIG difference lol.
He’s so good you don’t even know his name. So, there you go.
I didn’t watch the 2nd half, but for the people saying the offense “did nothing” against the Army 1st team, how are you counting the perfect deep ball down the middle of the field on the 1st or 2nd possession that hit Turner directly on the hands in stride that would have been a 70 yard TD? QB should get credit for that.
absolutely a nice throw and most definitely should’ve been caught. Give credit where credit’s due.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
No. They're getting exemptions to postpone their service time. Still has nothing to do with Purdue's having a top 15 pick against an Army D with potentially 1 nfl prospect.
Not everyone gets an exemption. The Red Sox drafted Noah Song as a high draft pick, a pitcher from Navy who couldn't get the waiver. He is in his 3rd year of service I think.

Reaction Score
Yes it was a loss. And yes we were scored on at will by Army's precise and powerful triple option offense--but we were finally able to score. Sure, it was against their 2nd team but that never mattered with Fresno or Purdue. In his first start, Tyler Phommachanh was confident and cool--despite the dropped passes and questionable calls that negated what could have been an even better outcome for him and the team. Heretofore unsung players like Brewton, Evans, Webb and most importantly Tyler Phommachanh were revelations yesterday, not as much for what they accomplished against the Black Knights, but for their promise. Bottom line, despite the inevitable numbing final result we all saw coming, somehow, as the game progressed, anyone who didn't see glimmers of a new beginning, either wasn't paying close enough attention--or has a death wish for the program.

Reaction Score
Yes it was a loss. And yes we were scored on at will by Army's precise and powerful triple option offense--but we were finally able to score. Sure, it was against their 2nd team but that never mattered with Fresno or Purdue. In his first start, Tyler Phommachanh was confident and cool--despite the dropped passes and questionable calls that negated what could have been an even better outcome for him and the team. Heretofore unsung players like Brewton, Evans, Webb and most importantly Tyler Phommachanh were revelations yesterday, not as much for what they accomplished against the Black Knights, but for their promise. Bottom line, despite the inevitable numbing final result we all saw coming, somehow, as the game progressed, anyone who didn't see glimmers of a new beginning, either wasn't paying close enough attention--or has a death wish for the program.

I’ll give you this one. I was enjoying the second half. We have some talent and even the defense seemed to continue to play hard and fight. Yesterday felt like a small turning point.

Reaction Score
Not the right board for this post. Try the Leach Field…

Reaction Score
One questionable no call, was the hit on Tyler well after he threw the ball.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
After reading the thread I believe that some want UConn to lose the rest of the games this season.

I want to see UConn win games if for no one but the players. The one's who continue to bring up Edsall and need to hush. He isn't coaching and yes the players are his recruits, but they are UConn players representing UConn not Randy Edsall.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
Today was a revelation.

After only practicing against each other, real game tape is starting to show some stuff.

Tyler Phommachanh is the QB going forward.
Mensah is limited going forward. Carter and Newton need touches going forward. Receivers who are dropping passes need to sit. There needs to be repercussions for dropped balls.

On D, loved Evans' explosion off the ball and gap penetration. He is a perfect complement to Jones' pure power.

Everything else sucked.

2wins??

I totally agree with everything you point out. Also, the announcer alluded to 43's awful angles and after paying closer attention to him as a result of those comments I witnessed it over and over again myself.. Nobody is expecting him to be Micah Parsons out there but, since we don't, we have to play smarter than we are. I'm sure there is tape so i can only hope we are learning.

Reaction Score

I have to disagree with you on this one. How can you say that Steven Krajewski didn’t want to be out there? He looked confident and poised and commanded the huddle. Karlaftis, and the rest of the D line, were in his face and every time Steven Krajewski got knocked down he got right back up. He never gave up the whole game and tried his best to move the chains. Even in the fourth quarter he showed just as much heart and enthusiasm that he did at the start of the game. And as far as “going for it,” how many times did you see Steven Krajewski slide during the game. He ran hard and never quit. Whether it was running to the sidelines to get the first down or off tackle and through people to pick up some extra yardage. Maybe they didn’t put up any points against Perdue but it wasn’t for lack of enthusiasm and not going fort it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom