Post Mortem Army | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post Mortem Army

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Im gonna be honest, Steven Krajewski showed a lot more against a much better defense imo. I'm not blown away by TD runs against Army's backups.

He short armed many, many throws. Including a wide open TD the receiver had to come back for. I'm hoping we can build am offense around him that limits throws to the boundaries, and emphasizes his legs. But from what it seemed like today, he wants to play like Russell Wilson, not a traditional college scrambler. Yes I know it's one game.

But hopefully more first team reps fix some accuracy issues.

The best ability is availability. Steven Krajewski is hurt. We have an offensive line that makes life difficult if not impossible for a pocket passer.

Reaction Score
Glad to see Spanos seeing what many of us just saw. Tyler P gave us a flow on offense we have not seen in a long time. Our OL has been bad, and Tyler avoided multiple sacks just due to his athleticism. His throws weren't bad, and he clearly can make long throws. Is he a pure pocket QB with a huge arm? No, but his quickness alone should make this offense better going forward.
I have to give Spanos some credit here. I think he has a good head on his shoulders and realizes aspirations going forward are limited. But he's just taking the job for what it is and trying to build a foundation for the future. Tyler Phommachanh has to be considered the number one QB moving forward.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Im gonna be honest, Steven Krajewski showed a lot more against a much better defense imo. I'm not blown away by TD runs against Army's backups.

He short armed many, many throws. Including a wide open TD the receiver had to come back for. I'm hoping we can build am offense around him that limits throws to the boundaries, and emphasizes his legs. But from what it seemed like today, he wants to play like Russell Wilson, not a traditional college scrambler. Yes I know it's one game.

But hopefully more first team reps fix some accuracy issues.

Not true.

Tyler Phommachanh was much better than Steven Krajewski and I have long advocated Steven Krajewski over Jack Zergiotis.

On the short throw to the receiver down the left side Tyler Phommachanh was rolling left and throwing across his body. Had the receiver come back to the ball 3-5 yards, the WR makes the catch and it's a first down. Instead WR half asses the come back and allows DB to make the break up.

When TO has his feet underneath him he is very good. Rolling left he underthrows a ton. He's physically small and a true frosh. He can't consistently throw against his body. When. He rolls right, he flatter on his throws but gets plenty of zip.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV

what else can we do? I watched every second of the game and I saw some improvement as the game went on.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Not true.

Tyler Phommachanh was much better than Steven Krajewski and I have long advocated Steven Krajewski over Jack Zergiotis.

On the short throw to the receiver down the left side Tyler Phommachanh was rolling left and throwing across his body. Had the receiver come back to the ball 3-5 yards, the WR makes the catch and it's a first down. Instead WR half asses the come back and allows DB to make the break up.

When TO has his feet underneath him he is very good. Rolling left he underthrows a ton. He's physically small and a true frosh. He can't consistently throw against his body. When. He rolls right, he flatter on his throws but gets plenty of zip.
He made a few nice plays, we know the Wrs didn't help, he still missed plenty of open throws and gave up a td because of his arm strength.

For him to be successful he's gonna have to embrace his running ability. He's not Pindell.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh was 11-26 passing. And that was with a full half against back ups. No one has "earned" the starting job if Spanos is honest with himself.

No one has "earned" the running back position either. No back has shown any wiggle, strength or explosiveness.

Brewton has earned the right to return kicks and punts (if there ever any punts).
Palatine: “bring in the backup” always

also palatine: “look at the backup suck. “. Somehow forgetting about his first statement.

that was EASILY our best qb performance this year. Take one of the drops away, much less more, and the numbers become undeniable.

Reaction Score
I thought he was limited but decent. And the kid who dropped the pass early who could have made it 14-7…he should walk back to Storrs. But at this level you really need to throw for more than 100 yards.

On defense, I assume they didn’t bother watching game film. I get Army scoring on a pass. But the first score not a soul around.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Tyler Phommachanh was 11-26 passing. And that was with a full half against back ups. No one has "earned" the starting job if Spanos is honest with himself.

No one has "earned" the running back position either. No back has shown any wiggle, strength or explosiveness.

Brewton has earned the right to return kicks and punts (if there ever any punts).
You gonna include drops in the passing stats? Yeah, he threw a couple worm burners and underthrew a few, but a few key drops as well. The kid is at the very least, interesting, and at best, exciting. I'll take either one at this point.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He made a few nice plays, we know the Wrs didn't help, he still missed plenty of open throws and gave up a td because of his arm strength.

For him to be successful he's gonna have to embrace his running ability. He's not Pindell.

It wasn't arm strength, it was a bad throw. Huge difference between those two. He showed he can put touch and air on a ball going 45-50 yards. That is plenty average enough.

Did he do that every play? No. But he has the arm strength to do it.

Reaction Score
TDS in a game against an FBS opponent. Take that as a positive. Scored late in the game on 4 th down. Kids playing until the end of the game. Positives. Negatives, still the same so ignore them for now. Based on this, maybe 2 wins are out there this year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought Tyler Phommachanh, Q Evans, Brewton and at times M Dixon showed something today. The net results really weren’t there, but it was something to build on.

Needless to say we have miles to go- many many miles.

inflection point? Too early to say given it was Army- need more… need another game

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's against Army's second team but it's pretty clear Tyler P can do a lot more things than the other 2 qb's. Who cares that he's a freshman, Edsall was a special kind of stubborn and stupid.

This.

What we currently know is that we have at least two guys that are better than the guy that Edsall picked to be our QB. Not one...TWO!

The fact that Edsall bungled the QB situation to the degree he did is a testament to how much every other area of this football team needs to be revamped...

Reaction Score
i have never seen defenses this bad. It’s actually a wonder of college football. Army could have scored 100 today……..ARMY!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This.

What we currently know is that we have at least two guys that are better than the guy that Edsall picked to be our QB. Not one...TWO!

The fact that Edsall bungled the QB situation to the degree he did is a testament to how much every other area of this football team needs to be revamped...
I think this one of the reasons there was a coaching coup. Everyone in the building knew he wasn’t making the right calls on the QB position. Edsall was forced out; when the kids and coaches pushed AD David Benedict that Monday.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
This.

Edsall exposed…not that we already didn’t know this.

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

Reaction Score
I thought Tyler Phommachanh, Q Evans, Brewton and at times M Dixon showed something today. The net results really weren’t there, but it was something to build on.

Needless to say we have miles to go- many many miles.

inflection point? Too early to say given it was Army- need more… need another game
Army is a good team. Not top 25 but a team that can play with almost anyone.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This.

Funny thing is RE kept using the nebulous term of "moxie" and "command". TO showed more of both than Jack Zergiotis ever did.

Maybe Edsall identified the correct criterion for QB but he screwed the pooch executing it.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
I also felt the the D didn’t realize how fast Army’s O really was. Playing against the scout team vs the real thing means taking better angles…we didn’t and that’s on the coaches.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I also felt the the D didn’t realize how fast Army’s O really was. Playing against the scout team vs the real thing means taking better angles…we didn’t and that’s on the coaches.

Again, the downside of only scrimmaging for 18 months.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Funny thing is RE kept using the nebulous term of "moxie" and "command". TO showed more of both than Jack Zergiotis ever did.

Maybe Edsall identified the correct criterion for QB but he screwed the pooch executing it.
Tyler Phommachanh?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Again, the downside of only scrimmaging for 18 months.
Very true…the college game is all about speed but good angles on D can help alleviate the speed.

Reaction Score
My thoughts: saw improvement on offense with Tyler P. During the game & seeing the drops by wrs, lamented that our starters are out with injuries for the year. There were sovme VERY cTchable balls.
Defense needs work
Game was closer than the final scorrexwith 2 TDS called back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom