Post Mortem Army | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Post Mortem Army

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Very true…the college game is all about speed but good angles on D can help alleviate the speed.

Right. But the way to learn that is game film against opponents.

I remember reading a quote, maybe attributable to Kobe, about practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you practice against a deficient opponent you don't get better.

Reaction Score
If "ifs" were spliffs, we'd all get high. That said, today looks a little different if a healthy Ross is on the field. We still lose, but it would have been a better game.

Reaction Score
Army is a good team. Not top 25 but a team that can play with almost anyone.
They could be a top 25 team their defense was ranked high last year and returned almost everyone. Tyler Phommachanh did pretty good job there
will be a big improvement after they get him to look at film this week. Hard to understand how secondary is so bad. I though when Perkins was brought in we would have had improvement but we seemed to regres.

Reaction Score
Today was a revelation.

After only practicing against each other, real game tape is starting to show some stuff.

Tyler Phommachanh is the QB going forward.
Mensah is limited going forward. Carter and Newton need touches going forward. Receivers who are dropping passes need to sit. There needs to be repercussions for dropped balls.

On D, loved Evans' explosion off the ball and gap penetration. He is a perfect complement to Jones' pure power.

Everything else sucked.

2wins??

2 wins? In football? UMass is clearly better and Yale looked better than Holy Cross.

Reaction Score
My thoughts: saw improvement on offense with Tyler P. During the game & seeing the drops by wrs, lamented that our starters are out with injuries for the year. There were sovme VERY cTchable balls.
Defense needs work
Game was closer than the final scorrexwith 2 TDS called back.
LOL but we covered for first time in a long time. Kickoff return for TD first since the Fiesta Bowl. Most of the playmakers today were freshman! If recruiting class can be kept in check or improved and supplemented with some portal players, the right new HC could get us bowling next year. A glimmer of hope.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What you forget from this play is his scramble to avoid the sack. Yes he missed the throw. But Jack Zergiotis and Steven Krajewski don’t even create the opportunity to make that throw
I guess we forgot how agile Steven Krajewski looked against Purdue. I do think he makes that throw, the kid was wide open, he just didn't have the arm to get it far enough

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It wasn't arm strength, it was a bad throw. Huge difference between those two. He showed he can put touch and air on a ball going 45-50 yards. That is plenty average enough.

Did he do that every play? No. But he has the arm strength to do it.
After many bad throws that land short, it's hard not to blame arm strength. And even if his arm is stronger than I believe, that just means he's wildly inaccurate. At least he didn't turn it over like Jack Zergiotis.

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game. It was my first West Point experience and my first UConn football game in quite some time. Definitely a cool experience to see UConn play at a "bucket list" location!

Being there live, I was most impressed with Phommachanh's moxie. Crazy that he started in just his fourth collegiate game and despite that, he was poised, comfortable and confident.

No reason not to continue with him, especially entering our easiest stretch of our schedule coming up. If we can get two wins in the next five, that'll be huge for helping this team build momentum for next year.

Reaction Score
UMass looks very, very winnable...

UMass...0-51 vs Pitt, 28-45 vs BC...and behind Eastern Michigan 7-21 in early 3rd qtr

Reaction Score
i have never seen defenses this bad. It’s actually a wonder of college football. Army could have scored 100 today……..ARMY!

Hopefully the next coach's charisma can fix it.

Reaction Score
I am gonna be honest here, the QB looked like a dangerous and explosive player. That is much better than how Zergiotis and Krajewski looked. Tyler P Needs to work on his throwing of the ball out of the pocket and they need to learn about what arm strength he has and hasn’t.

But Do read option and RPOs all day and move the pocket. That’s what they need to do.

zergiotis has a terrific arm, and that’s something that coaches love because they can diagram plays all day and it stretches the defense. But, UConn can’t block on the o line and doing things like quick throws, RPOs and read-option stuff helps stop the defense from pinning their ears back and attacking the QB.

mid UConn had elite offensive line talent and good WRs, I would go with a guy with arm talent. But if you can’t block or catch, give me a running QB.

Reaction Score
What is everyone’s thoughts on coaches NOW need to relook at the guys on scout team and who have been buried by Edsall? Freshman guys seem to be better than the chance they are getting.

Edsall had Tyler Phommachanh on scout.

Reaction Score
I guess we forgot how agile Steven Krajewski looked against Purdue. I do think he makes that throw, the kid was wide open, he just didn't have the arm to get it far enough
I don’t think Tyler Phommachanh would have done better against Purdue but think his mobility opens things up a little.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
It seemed to me watching it live that Tyler Phommachanh put some loft on the ball and "soft tossed" it to avoid overthrowing him like Jack Zergiotis had done several times in the first few games and he underestimated the recovery speed of the Army DB.

I wasn't able to see the Purdue game (a bit of a blessing) so haven't seen how well / not well Steven Krajewski played. Consensus here after the game was that he had earned another start? Do we know if he was injured today or not? Very confusing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am gonna be honest here, the QB looked like a dangerous and explosive player. That is much better than how Zergiotis and Krajewski looked. Tyler P Needs to work on his throwing of the ball out of the pocket and they need to learn about what arm strength he has and hasn’t.

But Do read option and RPOs all day and move the pocket. That’s what they need to do.

zergiotis has a terrific arm, and that’s something that coaches love because they can diagram plays all day and it stretches the defense. But, UConn can’t block on the o line and doing things like quick throws, RPOs and read-option stuff helps stop the defense from pinning their ears back and attacking the QB.

mid UConn had elite offensive line talent and good WRs, I would go with a guy with arm talent. But if you can’t block or catch, give me a running QB.

While not great against Army's 1's, today was the OLine's best game as a unit. Fortin at C is such a huge upgrade. Lundt needs help at RT but that is manageable by a competent offensive staff.

Reaction Score
What you forget from this play is his scramble to avoid the sack. Yes he missed the throw. But Jack Zergiotis and Steven Krajewski don’t even create the opportunity to make that throw
Did you watch the Purdue game? Steven Krajewski avoided many sacks and scrambled for big gains or made the pass. Unfortunately, #5 was in his face all day. Is Tyler Phommachanh faster, absolutely but you need both an arm and legs. Steven Krajewski fits that bill better than anyone. He is the real deal

Reaction Score
Not true.

Tyler Phommachanh was much better than Steven Krajewski and I have long advocated Steven Krajewski over Jack Zergiotis.

On the short throw to the receiver down the left side Tyler Phommachanh was rolling left and throwing across his body. Had the receiver come back to the ball 3-5 yards, the WR makes the catch and it's a first down. Instead WR half asses the come back and allows DB to make the break up.

When TO has his feet underneath him he is very good. Rolling left he underthrows a ton. He's physically small and a true frosh. He can't consistently throw against his body. When. He rolls right, he flatter on his throws but gets plenty of zip.

No. To my eyes Steven Krajewski was much more poised in the pocket. Hit receivers (also had a TD dropped) and ran effectively. And he did it against a much better defense.

I would love it if Tyler Phommachanh was great. But he wasn't. And he not any better that Steven Krajewski, to my eyes he wasn't as good.

Reaction Score
I thought Tyler Phommachanh looked awesome considering the circumstances. I don’t know what more you can expect from a true freshman with a limited supporting cast. There’s no doubt there’s something there.

With that being said… I hope he’s not our starter for the rest of the season. There’s no reason to play him in the last 3 games. The extra year we can potentially get out of him isn’t worth 3 pummelings.

On defense, we sucked. But Quay Evans and Hunter Webb deserve more meaningful time. They look like they want to hit people. Let them.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
2 wins? In football? UMass is clearly better and Yale looked better than Holy Cross.
But they lost didn’t they? By the time we play Yale, I don’t think we will resemble the team that lost to HC. Because….no Randy.

Reaction Score
I think it's great that the Service Academies can put together such tough teams.
I think we all forget the sacrifices that these cadets make to our country and their education. No way could most D1 student- athletes play at such a high level while taking such a rigorous course load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom