Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I just think you're being way too premature with this after two exhibition games.

Fair enough. Final thoughts are D Bev had really good leadership skills, but lacked guard play. He wants to be a coach and i'm sure he will be very successful. Good luck to him. We don't know if Allen will be a good all around player. His dribbling and athleticism are good and that is a positive sign for the team going forward.

Reaction Score
I already want to start Daniels and bring Roscoe off the bench at the 4 to spell Oriakhi with Giffey backing up Daniels.

After 2 games the way I'd setup a rotation

Napier (32 minutes) --> Boatright (8 minutes)
Lamb (32 minutes)--> Boatright (4 minutes), Giffey (4 minutes)
Daniels (25 minutes) --> Giffey (10 minutes), Roscoe (5 minutes)
Oriakhi (15 minutes) --> Roscoe (10 minutes), Olander (15 minutes)
Drummond (20 minutes) --> Oriakhi at C (10 minutes), Wolf (10 minutes)

Sounds pretty good. I don't think wolf will get minutes in meaningful games. I believe that Bradley should take another red shirt year. Drummond's minutes should increase from 20 to 25-30 as the season goes on assuming improvement. I believe boatright's minutes will vary the most from game to game. If the opposing team has big guards and bazz is playing well, boatright will barely see the floor. VS smaller lineups he may get 20+ minutes with Lamb playing some 3. Just guesses.

Reaction Score
Bradley can't take another red shirt year unless he's injured beyond a point of returning. From what I understand, his injury is not serious enough for a medical red shirt.

Reaction Score
Can Bradley even take one and why do you think he should even take one? He's projected back by December before the BE season even begins, I'm not sure what his role will be on this squad with AD, AO, an improved TO, and RS @ the 4, but he's not sitting out two years.

Reaction Score
Sounds pretty good. I don't think wolf will get minutes in meaningful games. I believe that Bradley should take another red shirt year. Drummond's minutes should increase from 20 to 25-30 as the season goes on assuming improvement. I believe boatright's minutes will vary the most from game to game. If the opposing team has big guards and bazz is playing well, boatright will barely see the floor. VS smaller lineups he may get 20+ minutes with Lamb playing some 3. Just guesses.

And barring foul trouble, Oriakhi will play 30+ minutes somewhere. Could be 35 - especially if he can be more consistent with finishing on offense once the BE season starts.

Reaction Score
there are plenty of guards with tight handles and good quickness that don't seem like they are going to turn it over. If you want me to name multiple players from every team that fit this description to prove my point I can, but I don't see how this is debatable. D Bev was not very quick and didn't have a tight handle. That is why he got almost no playing time during his career. He was a good outside shooter and played good defense. If he could dribble well he would have got more playing time. Dribbling was his weakness. A pretty big weakness for a guard to have. Allen has displayed a tight handle. If he can prove to be an effective shooter and continue to display his athleticism on defense than he will be better than D Bev.

That's what I'm saying though...it's tough to get a read on how a guy handles defensive pressure in these type of games. Division one is a different animal, and we haven't yet seen Allen against that type of competition, nevermind Big East competition. I've liked what I've seen so far, but Beverly was an important piece of our team last year, so Allen will have to prove he can fill his shoes.

Reaction Score
Bradley can't take another red shirt year unless he's injured beyond a point of returning. From what I understand, his injury is not serious enough for a medical red shirt.

If he's not on scholarship, than he doesn't need to take an official red shirt. Remember, he's a walk-on player. If he doesn't play, than he will not lose a year of eligibility.

To aceboon, I think he should take one because he will get almost no playing time. If AO gets 25, Drummond 25, olander 15, wolf 5, and smith 10 than that leaves no minutes. Who is going to lose minutes to Bradley? Unless Bradley comes in and plays really well he will be lucky to get 5 meaningful minutes per game. If AD and possibly AO go to the NBA after this year, there will be more opportunities for playing time next year.

Reaction Score
To aceboon, I think he should take one because he will get almost no playing time. If AO gets 25, Drummond 25, olander 15, wolf 5, and smith 10 than that leaves no minutes. Who is going to lose minutes to Bradley? Unless Bradley comes in and plays really well he will be lucky to get 5 meaningful minutes per game. If AD and possibly AO go to the NBA after this year, there will be more opportunities for playing time next year.

Well he'll be here next year regardless. I'm not sure exactly on the restrictions of a player who is redshirting vs. not walking on. I'm not sure a player who is a walk-on and not playing can work out or do a lot of things with the team. It would depend on the level of development he can make on his own plus extra year vs. amount he can make with the team this year and little playing time.

Reaction Score
If he's not on scholarship, than he doesn't need to take an official red shirt. Remember, he's a walk-on player. If he doesn't play, than he will not lose a year of eligibility.

I'm not going to assume Wolf gets minutes before Bradley does, If Bradley was healthy I think he would be getting time right now. How much, who knows, but I think he would've saw the time that Wolf got today.

Reaction Score
D bev almost turned the ball over every time he touched it. I wasn't claiming allen is going to be great. I was more responding to the people hoping he can be a D Bev type player. My thoughts are that based on his ball handling ability and defensive ability (my opinion is taking into account comments by coaches about him from practice) his potential for contribution will be better than D Bev.

D Bev did it against Texas and Indiana and in Big East wars. No disrespect to this kid, but he's played against two glorified high school teams. C'mon. I could have gotten to the cup against AIC.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to assume Wolf gets minutes before Bradley does, If Bradley was healthy I think he would be getting time right now. How much, who knows, but I think he would've saw the time that Wolf got today.

In my scenario all of the minutes for bigs were taken. So the 5 mins bradley will hypothetically get will be wolfs. And yes, if bradley was healthy of course I think he could contribute. I've watched him practice before and am very impressed. Coming back from an injury and jumping right into action is not easy. Anyone who's had a serious injury and came back to athletics can tell you that it takes time. For some weeks, for others months.

Reaction Score
D Bev did it against Texas and Indiana and in Big East wars. No disrespect to this kid, but he's played against two glorified high school teams. C'mon. I could have gotten to the cup against AIC.

Even though I already gave my final thoughts in a previous post..... I guess I have to give them again. Everyone is quick to defend D Bev. Here's the deal. He got basically no playing time his first two years because he was playing behind superior players. Then he had hip troubles when the openings for playing time came. I'm not saying Bev isn't a good person and or that he did nothing to contribute at any point. However, he lost his hip fluidity and quickness due to injury and was therefore a liability as a ball handler. Allen appears to have a better handle and be quicker than beverly. Whether that is genetics or the fact that he hasn't had hip surgery I don't know.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Why are you even arguing any of this? Bev was what he was. Some really good moments, some not so much, but he provided leadership and minutes and has a ring instead of leaving for a place where he might get more minutes but never have a chance at a banner. Love Bev.

Brendan is a freshman walkon who has played in two exhibition games. Hopefully he's good enough to contribute some minutes in an area we are a little short in. But just like the Roscoe v DD thread, it's ridiculous to trash one kid over the other. They are both UConn kids and you hope the best for them and appreciate what they give/gave.

Reaction Score
3pt shooting was great, AD dunk from 8 ft out was disgusting, Lamb was hot shooting, TO looked good again, and Wolf played some decent mins. but man the 2nd half was horribad, outscored 40-37, really bad fastbreak passes, AD had 5 to's himself, and Lamb looked a step slow imo. hopefully its just kinks that will be worked out sooner rather than later

Reaction Score
You said, "D Bev almost turned the ball over every time he touched it". That doesn't mean anything. There really isn't anything that supports that claim. This is D1 basketball, everybody has a defender hanging on them.

Beverly had a lot of turnovers, too many for a ball handler.I don't think that anyone can make an arguement to the contrary. He had major surgery that seemed to take a step away from him and as a result he also got beat reularly on defense.There were times when he entered the game and calmed things down and he contributed to our championship run. Uconn got a decent basketball player and a great kid.

Reaction Score
Why are you even arguing any of this? Bev was what he was. Some really good moments, some not so much, but he provided leadership and minutes and has a ring instead of leaving for a place where he might get more minutes but never have a chance at a banner. Love Bev.

Brendan is a freshman walkon who has played in two exhibition games. Hopefully he's good enough to contribute some minutes in an area we are a little short in. But just like the Roscoe v DD thread, it's ridiculous to trash one kid over the other. They are both UConn kids and you hope the best for them and appreciate what they give/gave.

We are arguing it because people are attacking my comment that Allen is a better dribbler and more athletic than D Bev with a surgically repaired hip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom