Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
was that dunk real life? I'm not sure if there's another person in the world who can do that

Reaction Score
D bev almost turned the ball over every time he touched it. I wasn't claiming allen is going to be great. I was more responding to the people hoping he can be a D Bev type player. My thoughts are that based on his ball handling ability and defensive ability (my opinion is taking into account comments by coaches about him from practice) his potential for contribution will be better than D Bev.

Yep, it's not like he had the third best A/TO ratio on the team last year or anything.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
A bit OT, but this game against CW Post brings back memories of a game I attended in the early 60's when I was at Adelphi. Adelphi v. CW Post. CWP's star was a kid named Frankie Townsend - a 5' 6" PG who could handle, shoot, and DUNK! When dunking was unthinkable for anyone under 6' 4" or so.

Full house showed up to see him, Adelphi played box and one and won a close game. Very exciting, electric game.

Alas, a few years later Townsend was dead. Some kind of drug thing - too long ago to remember whether it was an OD, drug deal gone bad, or what. I remember thinking what a waste of great talent.

Just one of the reasons I experience great joy whenever one of JC's boys makes good. And great sorrow when one of them screws up. Fortunately we've had a lot more of the the former than the latter.

Sorry to interrupt the game, but some memories just spilled over.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Can someone give me a score update and a rundown of who's been scoring? Thanks very much!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Did Joe D go after Wayne Norman for correcting him?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
72-37 with 12:00 to go

ctchamps

Reaction Score
DD is showing good playmaking skills.

Reaction Score
I know he was a high-profile recruit, but I have been SUPER impressed by Deandre Daniels so far. Great skills and great basketball IQ.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
AO is struggling on the offensive end.

Reaction Score
Yep, it's not like he had the third best A/TO ratio on the team last year or anything.

He had 1.2 assists to .7 turnovers in 8 minutes. that is not statistically relevant. D Bev couldn't beat anyone off the dribble. Therefore, always had a defender hanging on him. Combine that with the fact that he had a high dribble made it seem like he was always about to turn it over. He didn't have many turnovers because he passed the ball quickly once he got it in his hands. Allen has a very tight dribble. I don't need to see him play any big east games to see that he has a tight dribble.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
But DD is doing great on the offensive end.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
79 - 47 7:47 to go. Uconn a little have more turnovers this game and the defense isn't as sharp.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
DD continues to impress. He's been everywhere, good defense, good motor/hussle, good finishing, feathery touch shooting, good passer and a few blocks. DD is under-the-radar no more, if it was possible to be under the radar as a top10 recruit

Reaction Score
He had 1.2 assists to .7 turnovers in 8 minutes. that is not statistically relevant. D Bev couldn't beat anyone off the dribble. Therefore, always had a defender hanging on him. Combine that with the fact that he had a high dribble made it seem like he was always about to turn it over. He didn't have many turnovers because he passed the ball quickly once he got it in his hands. Allen has a very tight dribble. I don't need to see him play any big east games to see that he has a tight dribble.

You said, "D Bev almost turned the ball over every time he touched it". That doesn't mean anything. There really isn't anything that supports that claim. This is D1 basketball, everybody has a defender hanging on them.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
21 turnovers

ctchamps

Reaction Score
91 -61 final

Reaction Score
there are plenty of guards with tight handles and good quickness that don't seem like they are going to turn it over. If you want me to name multiple players from every team that fit this description to prove my point I can, but I don't see how this is debatable. D Bev was not very quick and didn't have a tight handle. That is why he got almost no playing time during his career. He was a good outside shooter and played good defense. If he could dribble well he would have got more playing time. Dribbling was his weakness. A pretty big weakness for a guard to have. Allen has displayed a tight handle. If he can prove to be an effective shooter and continue to display his athleticism on defense than he will be better than D Bev.

Reaction Score
I already want to start Daniels and bring Roscoe off the bench at the 4 to spell Oriakhi with Giffey backing up Daniels.

After 2 games the way I'd setup a rotation

Napier (32 minutes) --> Boatright (8 minutes)
Lamb (32 minutes)--> Boatright (4 minutes), Giffey (4 minutes)
Daniels (25 minutes) --> Giffey (10 minutes), Roscoe (5 minutes)
Oriakhi (15 minutes) --> Roscoe (10 minutes), Olander (15 minutes)
Drummond (20 minutes) --> Oriakhi at C (10 minutes), Wolf (10 minutes)

Reaction Score
It seems like DD has a very polished offensive game. I actually like the idea of him coming of the bench to provide some scoring when Lamb eventually gets a breather.

Reaction Score
there are plenty of guards with tight handles and good quickness that don't seem like they are going to turn it over. If you want me to name multiple players from every team that fit this description to prove my point I can, but I don't see how this is debatable. D Bev was not very quick and didn't have a tight handle. That is why he got almost no playing time during his career. He was a good outside shooter and played good defense. If he could dribble well he would have got more playing time. Dribbling was his weakness. A pretty big weakness for a guard to have. Allen has displayed a tight handle. If he can prove to be an effective shooter and continue to display his athleticism on defense than he will be better than D Bev.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I just think you're being way too premature with this after two exhibition games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom