Post Game Thread: Thoughts on Cincy v. UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Post Game Thread: Thoughts on Cincy v. UConn

Reaction Score
I defended the bench players for their play in last night's game. But 4th Qtr tonight I think they were about 4 for 15. If our starters can blow away Cincy's starters, I would think our bench should be able to beat the Cincy bench!
Agree. They don't look for their shot. Every player at any level has a "go-to" shot. Except UConn's last 5 players.
Here's the problem: they don't play together in practice. (my guess) Remember the 1st team plays against men. I played D3 college basketball- you better believe our last 5 (scout squad) could score! Only problem I had was when we had to act like a team that slowed it down. Coach would throw me off the court when I would still fire from everywhere, when we were supposed to be working the clock.
SHOOT THE BALL!!!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Once again, UConn was outscored in the fourth quarter.
By one point. And UConn was up 66-11 so who cares?

Once again, only one player managed to score off the bench: Walker.
Megan, Molly, and Lexi all scored.

Even with all the minutes being given out, the bench can't produce, even against a mediocre AAC team.
Cincy finished the season 19-11, 10-6 in the AAC good enough to finish fourth in the league, and are most likely headed to the WNIT. They aren’t a horrible team although UConn made them play horribly tonight. They do that to teams, just ask South Carolina.

And that is very troubling.
Not even slightly.

Other than the above, I agree with your post. :rolleyes:

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I liked that the bench players focused on taking the ball to the hoop. You saw it from Bent and Lexi who rarely have done that all season. I think Bent needs to shoot more or practice her shot if that's what it takes to gain confidence. Several times she was open and instead looked to pass it.

I'm not sure we were watching the same game. Except for a few times Walker drove to the hoop - sometimes successfully - it was the same old story of perimeter passing, letting the clock run down or silly turnovers. I would like to see the stats from the 4th quarter but we just got home and it will have to wait until the am.

Reaction Score
I liked that the bench players focused on taking the ball to the hoop. You saw it from Bent and Lexi who rarely have done that all season. I think Bent needs to shoot more or practice her shot if that's what it takes to gain confidence. Several times she was open and instead looked to pass it.
For 2 years every time she gets the ball I cringe and then I yell Shoot! Shoot the darn ball. She is such a nice person and plays her heart out but has no self-confidence. Every time she gets the ball she desperately look to pass the ball and only shoot as a last resort. Remind me of Ekmark. By the way I am happy to say that she has been very successful since she transferred to AZ close to home.

Reaction Score
The score is a disgrace. Humiliating for Cincinnati. Eleven points after 3 quarters. What a shame for AAC. This conference is hitting a new low which is not an easy feat.
I will be very interested now to check how Cinn does in WNIT. Riveting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By one point. And UConn was up 66-11 so who cares?

Megan, Molly, and Alexis all scored.

Cincy finished the season 19-11, 10-6 in the AAC good enough to finish fourth in the league, and are most likely headed to the WNIT. They aren’t a horrible team although UConn made them play horribly tonight. They do that to teams, just ask South Carolina.

Not even slightly.

Other than the above, I agree with your post. :rolleyes:

Ah, must be tournament time, Nan is getting feisty! Love it.

Reaction Score
For Trivial Pursuit buffs:

UConn: The five first-half points tied for the fewest the Huskies have ever given up in one half. Fairleigh Dickinson scored five against UConn in November, 2011. ... UConn has won its last 157 games against unranked opponents and has 332 wins in its last 333 games against those outside the Top 25.

UConn shuts out Cincinnati in second quarter, reaches AAC title game
Thanks for posting Uconn WBB Trivial Pursuit data. Keep it coming, I for one enjoy it.

Reaction Score
I say if Gabby can go, give her like 8 early minutes to break a sweat and get a chance to play in her last conference championship game. She's a senior and should get to experience it all. Now if she was a junior, totally different story. I am sure they'll make the right decision.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
The thing I liked most about MW tonight is that when the starters where out she seemed to take control of the defense. She was pointing out switches and pickups. I think that indicates an improved confidence level. Very happy.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
For our second team I would quote Montreal Canadians great Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion when asked if he had any advise for younger players. He said in his marvelous French Canadian accent, " Yes three things. Shoot the puck. Shoot the puck. Shoot the puck.":D:D

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
On some of those possessions if Molly had shot the ball it would have been blocked. Some times she looked like she was open but was not. I said on some of them. Also, I wonder why some people post inaccurate data after just watching a game. The only bench player who scored was Walker?

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Baylor beat Texas to win the Big 12 championship with a freshman guard (Alex Morris) coming off the bench for the injured Kristy Wallace.

Reaction Score
Two tired teams. Flat feet and no snap to UConn's offense but talent and size snuffed UC out early.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Once again I felt fortunate to have Bob and Debbie synced up nicely with the TV video. A pleasure to watch the game and listen to their commentary. :)

WTIC?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Two tired teams. Flat feet and no snap to UConn's offense but talent and size snuffed UC out early.
Kinda agree with you, the 1st quarter seemed that way for UConn but I thought that they picked it up in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Reaction Score
There is no reason to play Gabby until NCAA Tourney. Z is becoming a force. I thought Meghan played well last night. 19 solid minutes. Very involved on the defensive end, took shots when open, and moved more within the half court offense. No other team has a equal or more talented 7 player rotation. By the way, Phees is really turning things up a few notches.

Reaction Score
My main problem w/the bench players last night was too much passing. They do not look to score and seem afraid to shoot the ball. CB was nicely aggressive, but her shot selection is still iffy. They'll get there. Although I was hoarse from yelling "Shoot the damn ball!"

Reaction Score
My main problem w/the bench players last night was too much passing. They do not look to score and seem afraid to shoot the ball. CB was nicely aggressive, but her shot selection is still iffy. They'll get there. Although I was hoarse from yelling "Shoot the damn ball!"
Who is CB ?

Reaction Score
Oops I meant BC - Batouley Camara
No problem :) I think BC is just being rewarded for working hard coming back from injury. I think she will be more of a rebounder anyway. Actually bench players took shots , that just didn't fall. I do think she will be a very nice player next year.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"By one point. And UConn was up 66-11 so who cares?"

Misses the point entirely. It has absolutely nothing to do with score and everything to do with how they play the game. A falloff between the starters and the finishers is to be expected, but the quality of the basketball played by UConn in the 4th quarters is awful. It's the same old pass, pass, pass, cough it up performance. Difficult to watch.

Incidentally, people in the stands all around us were yelling for Bent to shoot whenever she got open - she didn't. Prior to tonight she had not scored in the previous 5 games, taking only one shot!

As for the game, Stevens owned it on a night when outside shooting was cold.
I thought that Walker's play tonight was very encouraging. It would be nice to see her "get it" just in time for the tournament.

Reaction Score
"By one point. And UConn was up 66-11 so who cares?"

Misses the point entirely. It has absolutely nothing to do with score and everything to do with how they play the game. A falloff between the starters and the finishers is to be expected, but the quality of the basketball played by UConn in the 4th quarters is awful. It's the same old pass, pass, pass, cough it up performance. Difficult to watch.

Incidentally, people in the stands all around us were yelling for Bent to shoot whenever she got open - she didn't. Prior to tonight she had not scored in the previous 5 games, taking only one shot!

As for the game, Stevens owned it on a night when outside shooting was cold.
I thought that Walker's play tonight was very encouraging. It would be nice to see her "get it" just in time for the tournament.
It's still a mystery to me that people expect MB to ever get meaningful playing time , or score points. She is already lost in the numbers game . There are too many skilled guards, with more coming. Personally , If I had a question to ask Geno , it would be " what did they see in her " during recruitment ?

Reaction Score
I was encouraged in that in the second "shut out" quarter, Z and Meghan were on the floor a lot. Previously, they had both had issues on the defense. No looking lost this time!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Advanced stats. Stevens a +50. They seem to dominate when she's on the floor. At least against the really inferior teams.

Databall

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom