Post Game Thread: Thoughts on Cincy v. UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Post Game Thread: Thoughts on Cincy v. UConn

Reaction Score
For our second team I would quote Montreal Canadians great Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion when asked if he had any advise for younger players. He said in his marvelous French Canadian accent, " Yes three things. Shoot the puck. Shoot the puck. Shoot the puck.":D:D
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Haven't heard that name in decades.
My boyhood hero
Thanks for the the memory

Reaction Score
Once again, UConn was outscored in the fourth quarter. Reno's remarked on that before as an indication that his bench is not producing. Once again, only one player managed to score off the bench: Walker. Even with all the minutes being given out, the bench can't produce, even against a mediocre AAC team.

And that is very troubling.
Did you see the game? Two points:
1. Geno was doing everything possible not to run up score against one of his former players and coaches. Walked ball up floor, did not press, etc.
2. Who cares? Huskies up by 50. Not meaningful minutes.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"By one point. And UConn was up 66-11 so who cares?"

Misses the point entirely. It has absolutely nothing to do with score and everything to do with how they play the game. A falloff between the starters and the finishers is to be expected, but the quality of the basketball played by UConn in the 4th quarters is awful. It's the same old pass, pass, pass, cough it up performance. Difficult to watch.

Incidentally, people in the stands all around us were yelling for Bent to shoot whenever she got open - she didn't. Prior to tonight she had not scored in the previous 5 games, taking only one shot!

As for the game, Stevens owned it on a night when outside shooting was cold.
I thought that Walker's play tonight was very encouraging. It would be nice to see her "get it" just in time for the tournament.
Actually, no, it didn’t miss the point. In the post-season the point is to win, period. The time for finessing the fine points is over; it’s just time to win.

Reaction Score
It's still a mystery to me that people expect MB to ever get meaningful playing time , or score points. She is already lost in the numbers game . There are too many skilled guards, with more coming. Personally , If I had a question to ask Geno , it would be " what did they see in her " during recruitment ?
So I lean towards your thinking except I do see positive qualities and abilities in her, thus reasons why he recruited her without knowing who he could successfully recruit afterwards. I think it is really in her head. I do not trust her fully with the ball is my greatest concern, even more disconcerting since she is a guard.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In actuality for the Big Dance after the first two games, we will probably not see anyone on the court other than the top 7 players. So we should only worry about how Z (absolutely no worries) and Megan (still iffy but probably not a liability) are performing off the bench. In a rare case, we may see Kyla come in at the end of a quarter if someone is near foul trouble. That's if she isn't committing TOs or fouls herself.

Reaction Score
I think everyone is missing the most impressive and rare statistic of the night - Azura Stevens scored 21 points. Cincinnati scored 21 points. Has that ever happened before, one player scoring as many points as an opposing team?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It's still a mystery to me that people expect MB to ever get meaningful playing time , or score points. She is already lost in the numbers game . There are too many skilled guards, with more coming. Personally , If I had a question to ask Geno , it would be " what did they see in her " during recruitment ?
Geno has said that Molly Bent works very hard in practice, has a very high IQ , is quite fast , and has a good attitude. So I guess that is what he saw. He also said she sometimes overthinks in game situations. While she will most likely not make NPOY, she must bring value to her team. I hope she continues to score, which will make her continue to shoot when needed. She is a UConn Husky , so I wish her well.

Reaction Score
In actuality for the Big Dance after the first two games, we will probably not see anyone on the court other than the top 7 players. So we should only worry about how Z (absolutely no worries) and Megan (still iffy but probably not a liability) are performing off the bench. In a rare case, we may see Kyla come in at the end of a quarter if someone is near foul trouble. That's if she isn't committing TOs or fouls herself.
Very true. As you said (barring a big lead or foul trouble), only 6 or 7 players will receive playing time in those games.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

You may be correct, but isn't just a little harsh to write some one off like that? And do you expect every recruit to be the next Maya? Whether it's a matter of talent or personality some team members won't ever make the starting line up, but you can't always predict who will and who won't. And a lot who don't ever make that staring line, including our beloved walk ons and MB contribute to the team in ways we don't see in the game.
JMHO.

Reaction Score
Geno has said that Molly Bent works very hard in practice, has a very high IQ , is quite fast , and has a good attitude. So I guess that is what he saw. He also said she sometimes overthinks in game situations. While she will most likely not make NPOY, she must bring value to her team. I hope she continues to score, which will make her continue to shoot when needed. She is a UConn Husky , so I wish her well.
I wish her well to. I just think talent wise that she is in a situation where she's in over her head.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
You are exactly correct. When they play Jamelle's team , Geno is going to do what is needed to keep the scoring down.
If the fourth quarter were (say) 16-5 UCONN, we would be as guilty as Baylor or Maryland, two teams we criticize for running up the score late in a one-sided game.

Reaction Score
You may be correct, but isn't just a little harsh to write some one off like that? And do you expect every recruit to be the next Maya? Whether it's a matter of talent or personality some team members won't ever make the starting line up, but you can't always predict who will and who won't. And a lot who don't ever make that staring line, including our beloved walk ons and MB contribute to the team in ways we don't see in the game.
JMHO.
I'm sure she is an everyday contributor to the team. And no , there is only one Maya. I am not saying she shouldn't be on the team . However, we should be realistic with her playing abilities and the fact that MW, MC and and AG are all more talented. Next season Williams will be here.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I'm sure she is an everyday contributor to the team. And no , there is only one Maya. I am not saying she shouldn't be on the team . However, we should be realistic with her playing abilities and the fact that MW, MC and and AG are all more talented. Next season Williams will be here.

Can't disagree with anything you've written without losing the argument. And have to admit that to date MB has shown little during game time that would convince anyone that significant playing time is in her future. But we don't get to see what she does in practice. And maybe, just maybe it's a confidence problem holding her back.

Setting aside any assessment of MB for the moment, my perspective on critiquing players publicly differs from yours. When you have a player who is giving all they have got, and you know that hey have maxed out their talent, then the time for criticism is over. There is nothing more to be gained for the player or the team. At that point all you do is praise them for the work they have done and the respect they have earned. Players who haven't reached their potential are fair game and subject to criticism as a coaching technique and as fan comment.

Again, I respect your point of view, and will admit to being too sensitive on this subject.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Personally, I would rather see Batouly off the bench vs. Kyla, she's more fluid, stronger and has played against elite competition and at least BC's fouls are logical.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I wish her well to. I just think talent wise that she is in a situation where she's in over her head.
I get that . Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Can't disagree with anything you've written without losing the argument. And have to admit that to date MB has shown little during game time that would convince anyone that significant playing time is in her future. But we don't get to see what she does in practice. And maybe, just maybe it's a confidence problem holding her back.

Setting aside any assessment of MB for the moment, my perspective on critiquing players publicly differs from yours. When you have a player who is giving all they have got, and you know that hey have maxed out their talent, then the time for criticism is over. There is nothing more to be gained for the player or the team. At that point all you do is praise them for the work they have done and the respect they have earned. Players who haven't reached their potential are fair game and subject to criticism as a coaching technique and as fan comment.

Again, I respect your point of view, and will admit to being too sensitive on this subject.
Not at all. We are just big Husky fans discussing our team. :)

Reaction Score
"By one point. And UConn was up 66-11 so who cares?"

Misses the point entirely. It has absolutely nothing to do with score and everything to do with how they play the game. A falloff between the starters and the finishers is to be expected, but the quality of the basketball played by UConn in the 4th quarters is awful. It's the same old pass, pass, pass, cough it up performance. Difficult to watch.

Incidentally, people in the stands all around us were yelling for Bent to shoot whenever she got open - she didn't. Prior to tonight she had not scored in the previous 5 games, taking only one shot!

As for the game, Stevens owned it on a night when outside shooting was cold.
I thought that Walker's play tonight was very encouraging. It would be nice to see her "get it" just in time for the tournament.

When the subs can't play close to quality basketball it's embarrassing to Geno and makes the game a lot less enjoyable. He wants to deliver a good product for all the fans.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Personally, I would rather see Batouly off the bench vs. Kyla, she's more fluid, stronger and has played against elite competition and at least BC's fouls are logical.
I only mentioned Kyla because she has been coming off the bench before BatCam, even during this tournament.

I do have a problem with your term "elite competition". She came from the SEC. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think everyone is missing the most impressive and rare statistic of the night - Azura Stevens scored 21 points. Cincinnati scored 21 points. Has that ever happened before, one player scoring as many points as an opposing team?
It was common in the first 5 minutes of games for Maya Moore, especially in her senior reason. For a full game, it's very rare.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I only mentioned Kyla because she has been coming off the bench before BatCam, even during this tournament.

I do have a problem with your term "elite competition". She came from the SEC. :D
Remember I said she played against, not with...:D

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sometimes I think it is impossible for this fan base to be happy.... ;)

Not true! We get the months long giddies over potential recruits and ecstatic over recruits and we are happy for 10 minutes after a championship win. Otherwise you are spot on; kill the wink!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom