Post Game Thread (merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Post Game Thread (merged)

Reaction Score
Every loss is a bad loss to the boneyard. I’ve heard WV stinks…they’re 8-1. They don’t stink. We were down 2 of our top 3 best players. And had it not been for an uncharacteristic shooting night(yes uncharacteristic for this squad, despite the we can’t shoot a lick narrative) we win. Tough loss. Move on.

So do we have a pass for any loss in the next 4 weeks because Sanogo and Martin out?

Reaction Score
Absolutely we should’ve closed it out. The matured talent disparity was not that far apart. Most of our “elite” talent is young and untested in my opinion. I don’t share the sentiment that this is a “terrible” WV team. I don’t know where that even came from. No one around the country favored us on tonight’s game. That’s a boneyard created narrative that they aren’t a pretty decent team

my god, it was practically a toss up. WVU was favored by 2 points. I cant believe watching that game you were fine with that loss and thought that this UConn team isnt capable of beating a WVU who frankly hasnt beaten anyone noteworthy outside of us. They beat 7 patsies and us.

Reaction Score
Anyone ok with a loss last night, no matter where it was played and who was out, is out if their minds. It’s an awful loss and showed some horrible weaknesses. I mean WVU may be a little better than last night but they tried to hand us the game with dreadful FT shooting. Our shooting was a nightmare, we allowed them to force our guys to play outta control and our ballhandling minus RJ is a complete mess. There’s better teams, much better on the horizon and so many things need to improve on both ends and it’s not all coming just with Sanogo and Martin returning.

I mean the Bonnie game is huge people need to step up and play basketball on both ends, protect the basketball a lot more.

Real disappointing 53 point effort no one minus RJ and Whaley were any good.

Reaction Score
He’s not he’s missing open shots.
Its like he feels he is only a 3 point shooter. He'll catch the ball behind the arc and immediately look to shoot. Perhaps a head fake first or a side dribble and immediately hoist a shot, whether his feet are really set.

Some coaches would say to him its okay to move a little closer to the basket when the long ball is not working. Drive and get fouled or more importantly take the easier 2 point shot. With his height he should be killing opponents at mid-range and at the rim.

I'm not confident labeling him a 3 point marksmen was a good thing, its seems to be stuck in his head.

Reaction Score
my god, it was practically a toss up. WVU was favored by 2 points. I cant believe watching that game you were fine with that loss and thought that this UConn team isnt capable of beating a WVU who frankly hasnt beaten anyone noteworthy outside of us. They beat 7 patsies and us.
No one is “fine” with any loss. But the overreacting here is embarrassing

Reaction Score
No one is “fine” with any loss. But the overreacting here is embarrassing

The overreaction is partially due to the cupcake schedule we had in the beginning that made this team look way better than they probably actually are, myself included. I was very high on them when everything seemed to be going right, I should have tempered some of that expectation down. We played a hell of a game against Auburn and won, but the last handful of games, we've struggled more than I thought we would, even with Sanogo and Martin playing. I dont think we are a bad team by any means, I just thought we were a lot further along than we actually are.

Reaction Score
He quietly had 10 rebounds which was significantly more than anyone else. Don't remember him turning it over. Altered shots by keeping guys from driving to the hole. Take a look at the box score on ESPN. I think he's coming along fine with the minutes he's played. That place was a real pit. They were so loud (and the PA system) I could hardly here the announcers. I think Akok at least didn't seem rattled like a lot of our players. He did miss a bunny at the end of the game. But that was the only thing I saw that was poor.
Akok was invisible on offense. Failed to box out on a free throw which was a crucial play. I was amazed at the 10 rebounds, wonder how many came off missed free throws?

Reaction Score
The overreaction is partially due to the cupcake schedule we had in the beginning that made this team look way better than they probably actually are, myself included. I was very high on them when everything seemed to be going right, I should have tempered some of that expectation down. We played a hell of a game against Auburn and won, but the last handful of games, we've struggled more than I thought we would, even with Sanogo and Martin playing. I dont think we are a bad team by any means, I just thought we were a lot further along than we actually are.

But think about this, every game has had such sloppiness at the end of games including Auburn, that you have to be concerned about their ability and the coaches ability, to close games with a W. It’s a pattern didn’t just start ‘21-22 by the way.

Need better ballhandlers, passers and shooters. Can some of the players step up and be the answers? Hope so but for now the same ol.

Reaction Score
He had some good plays and some truly mind-boggling ones. Any time he tries to drive the ball, I feel 100% confident he’s going to cough it up.
I want to like AJ, I really do. And I do, most of the time. But his handle is like the one on an old axe that was left outside for 30 years.

Reaction Score
But think about this, every game has had such sloppiness at the end of games including Auburn, that you have to be concerned about their ability and the coaches ability, to close games with a W. It’s a pattern didn’t just start ‘21-22 by the way.

Need better ballhandlers, passers and shooters. Can some of the players step up and be the answers? Hope so but for now the same ol.

I do think that the coaches have started to recognize this and adjust. We needed to recruit more skilled, heady players and have. Karaban and Castle are both high IQ guys. Diggins is too but just isn't ready yet. We're heavily recruiting Griffiths who fits the same bill. Hawkins is sort of in the middle... great shooter normally, but isn't going to help you out vs pressure. Those guys are going to take a while to adjust to the college game... but as upperclassmen they'll be great in these situations.

Reaction Score
The way to beat UConn at the end of close games is to blitz Cole and get him trapped in a double team or make him have to pass the ball. The fact that RJ was on the bench for 4 minutes just helped WVU. Then they sprung the 1-3-1 and Hurley was surprised. We do not have enough players that can create their own shot. And when no one can hit open 3's it is a big problem. A second guard that can take the heat off Cole, drive the ball to the basket, hopefully draw some fouls and dish to our bigs is needed. Gaffney has to get better and be on the floor. He missed his free throw last night after a good drive. Right now we do not get enough points out of Jackson and Hawkins and Akok. The hot/cold of Tyler Polley's game is an issue. Whaley is doing what he is supposed to do. And Hurley has to get Diggins some minutes (2-3) in each half as it is a long season and he could be needed.

Reaction Score
I think last night's game is a pretty good summary of where this team is at this year. With the seniors and super seniors we have this year, the floor is really high for this team. We should be in every single game this year because of them, with the exception of Cole they're all really solid role players who you know what you're going to get every night.

But this team's ceiling is all about the freshman/sophomores. Sanogo really belongs in the top group but even he has areas to improve. If it gets to February and Sanogo is still posting up 12 feet away from the basket instead of 6, or isn't looking to pass out of the post; or Hawkins hasn't emerged as the legitimate #3 scoring option; or Jackson is still playing 100 MPH every time down the court then we're in for a lot of close, frustrating games. But I'm optimistic those changes happen and it'll be a really fun spring

Reaction Score
I want to like AJ, I really do. And I do, most of the time. But his handle is like the one on an old axe that was left outside for 30 years.
And his handle is way better than Hawkins.

Reaction Score
T
Misleading stat today, as he lost the ball a few times only to be recovered by his teammates. Also whiffed on the alley-oop pass. Has the most TO on the team
Totally misleading. Watching Dre trying to dribble through traffic is like watching a car wreck about to happen. Shaky handle and nervous as hell. He had a big momentum impact with turnovers and not willing to shoot the ball. That 24-second violation was mostly on him.

Last edited:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think last night's game is a pretty good summary of where this team is at this year. With the seniors and super seniors we have this year, the floor is really high for this team. We should be in every single game this year because of them, with the exception of Cole they're all really solid role players who you know what you're going to get every night.

But this team's ceiling is all about the freshman/sophomores. Sanogo really belongs in the top group but even he has areas to improve. If it gets to February and Sanogo is still posting up 12 feet away from the basket instead of 6, or isn't looking to pass out of the post; or Hawkins hasn't emerged as the legitimate #3 scoring option; or Jackson is still playing 100 MPH every time down the court then we're in for a lot of close, frustrating games. But I'm optimistic those changes happen and it'll be a really fun spring
One additional positive on this is that Hurley, like JC's teams tend to improve as it gets closer to March. The injuries to Tyrese and Sanogo forced us to push the tempo and this experience will pay off down the road. That WV home court is a madhouse. As a fan you have to appreciate the racket and pressure they bring. I am hoping we eventually become like that more and more. I think it intimidated a few of the players and they almost won despite the loss of our strongmen (Martin and Sanogo). Just frustrating because we could have won. We have "good nights" and "learning nights." We're growing.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Akok was invisible on offense. Failed to box out on a free throw which was a crucial play. I was amazed at the 10 rebounds, wonder how many came off missed free throws?
Not so sure that's his fault or the point guard's. Did they call any plays for him? All I saw were threes being hoisted or Cole and Gaff driving into the lane for free throws mostly.

Reaction Score
AJ's inability to stop penetration is very frustrating. He is supposed to be a defensive stopper, but he had multiple one-on-one defensive situations where he allowed penetration and a relatively easy bucket. This has been apparent is other games also. He is a 1/2 step slow in moving his body and the ball handler gets by him. I though Hawkins upped his defensive game considerably against WVU. The shot blockers did not do their normal job in the game, but that may have been related to the quick whistles in several shot block scenarios.

Reaction Score
Hopefully that was a wake up call for the team and some on the board.

I think some of the initial shooting problems involved the sight lines on an away court - have trouble believing everyone was airballing everything because of nerves. No excuse for not adjusting.

I thought Whaley played well, though I wish he'd actually take a few more threes (in the flow of the game though please, not in transition). Cole is Cole, he's a grown man. I know this board loves to hate on him, but Gaffney had a pretty strong game and, if this team could hit anything at all from downtown, would have had 4-5 more assists.

With that said, a lot of negatives. I love Akok and his rebounding can be excellent sometimes, but the dude needs to show more on offense. Andre is a mess right now because he can't figure out what he is on offense and so he's effectively a nothing. He needs to shoot once in awhile away from the hoop and then cut off ball. He can't create for himself.

Hawkins showed he's still a freshman tonight. He can't get to the rim at will against college defenders and when his three point shot is off he's clueless offensively. Polley is what he is at this point. Johnson is lost, as you'd expect a freshman to be. Diggins no minutes again means he's almost definitely not ready for that type of environment, and having watched the other freshmen I don't really play Hurley for that.

Long story short, this team without Adama and Martin have a good but not great defense and a thoroughly average offense. We're not beating anyone who's as good or better than us with them out, so let's pray for speedy recoveries.

Reaction Score
Hopefully that was a wake up call for the team and some on the board.

I think some of the initial shooting problems involved the sight lines on an away court - have trouble believing everyone was airballing everything because of nerves. No excuse for not adjusting.

I thought Whaley played well, though I wish he'd actually take a few more threes (in the flow of the game though please, not in transition). Cole is Cole, he's a grown man. I know this board loves to hate on him, but Gaffney had a pretty strong game and, if this team could hit anything at all from downtown, would have had 4-5 more assists.

With that said, a lot of negatives. I love Akok and his rebounding can be excellent sometimes, but the dude needs to show more on offense. Andre is a mess right now because he can't figure out what he is on offense and so he's effectively a nothing. He needs to shoot once in awhile away from the hoop and then cut off ball. He can't create for himself.

Hawkins showed he's still a freshman tonight. He can't get to the rim at will against college defenders and when his three point shot is off he's clueless offensively. Polley is what he is at this point. Johnson is lost, as you'd expect a freshman to be. Diggins no minutes again means he's almost definitely not ready for that type of environment, and having watched the other freshmen I don't really play Hurley for that.

Long story short, this team without Adama and Martin have a good but not great defense and a thoroughly average offense. We're not beating anyone who's as good or better than us with them out, so let's pray for speedy recoveries.
I thought Bob Huggins was player of the game. He played the refs like a violin.

Reaction Score
Did Johnson at one point in the game think he was Donyell Marshall from 3? Does he have a green light out there? Coach may want to have a word.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom