Post Game Thread (merged) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Post Game Thread (merged)

Reaction Score
WVU is not a good team. We should have beat them by 10+ points with the amount of open looks they gave us all night long. Another shattering loss because we cannot close out games. The ball needs to be in COLE'S HANDS ONLY under 4 minutes. Everyone else panics and does the most dumbazz crap with it
He almost had to try to lose that one when it looked like UConn took control of that game. He takes out our best player and hottest hand, giving up the lead and momentum and let's Jackson do any sort of ridiculous out of control things he wants in a tight possession game. They pulled the same thing against Auburn in what should've been a comfortable win and it took a minor miracle for them to get it to OT and they had to win it 3 or 4 times. Had total control against MSU and then the wheels inexplicably came off again.

Reaction Score
So is Auburn. The context is being without 2 of your 3 best players. Lmaoo. You’re creeping up very high on my block-o-meter
Again- against an awful WVU offense. It’s really not that tough to comprehend.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
How many of those 3s were absolutely wide open? Many of them. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect them to hit at least 40% of those wide open ones. This is high D1 college basketball.
And many of those were big time bricks. Embarrassing.

Reaction Score
So is Auburn. The context is being without 2 of your 3 best players. Lmaoo. You’re creeping up very high on my block-o-meter
He's not a UConn basketball fan, don't even bother

Reaction Score
Every loss is a bad loss to the boneyard. I’ve heard WV stinks…they’re 8-1. They don’t stink. We were down 2 of our top 3 best players. And had it not been for an uncharacteristic shooting night(yes uncharacteristic for this squad, despite the we can’t shoot a lick narrative) we win. Tough loss. Move on.
They haven't played anyone. Do you think they had more talent than UConn even without Sanogo and Martin? Do you think we should've closed it out when we had all the momentum?

Reaction Score
Ya who knows. They didn’t play and they lost.
Obviously. But choosing to ignore that important context is the only way you can walk away from this game outraged or discouraged. You have to view things in context. Had they been without 2 of their 3 best players out board would be lamenting how unimpressive of a win it was. Context is everything

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Not as scary as Hawkins! I can't believe how poor his handle is for a kid who does a lot very well. Get that kid in the gym and make him do ball handling drills 30 minutes every day.
Agreed. He did have one good game I think. Knocked down 15 if I remember correctly. However, I cannot believe I am saying this, but he is showing that he is a liability. You can't cheer when he sinks a three, then let it go when he over dribbles, bad passes.

Reaction Score
Every loss is a bad loss to the boneyard. I’ve heard WV stinks…they’re 8-1. They don’t stink. We were down 2 of our top 3 best players. And had it not been for an uncharacteristic shooting night(yes uncharacteristic for this squad, despite the we can’t shoot a lick narrative) we win. Tough loss. Move on.
Don’t look at their schedule!

Reaction Score
Too bad, a missed opportunity. Many of the same bugaboos cost us again:
  • Jackson with too many out of control plays leading to turnovers. I wouldn't mind Hurley trying some Calhoun quick hooks every time he does it to send a message. Hurley has verbalized the problem so maybe a different approach is in order.
  • Streaky/bad outside shooting. Even a below average performance of 6-21 from 3 wins this game comfortably. Hard to win going 3-21 and plenty of those looks were good ones.
  • Missed layups. Ugh. I have no explanation how we've missed so many bunnies over the last 3-4 years. Its incredible. Why can't a guy that is 6'8" and up just dunk the ball when standing right next to the basket?
  • Horrid half-court offense in general but especially against ball pressure defense. Can't we just steal some stuff other people run? I missed most of the first half but we had 5 shot-clock violations in the second half alone and several other instances where we're left to throw up a prayer at the end.

I have little doubt we win with our two missing starters but this was still there for the taking.

Reaction Score
If we're going to ever truly be "back" we're going to need a 26-4 type regular season sometime, which is going to require winning 70% of this type of game. It feels like the last few years we're about 30% in these games.

Reaction Score
UConns inability to close these games is concerning. They’ll have to figure out a way to get some bigger leads late into the game, tough to have confidence they can pull out tied games late after what we’ve seen.
In fairness they did close out the Auburn and VCU games that were in the balance down the stretch. So they have done it before.

Reaction Score
Our coach tightens up in close games, it's a recurring theme. They were on a run and rolling and then he takes Cole out. Timeout under 8 minutes up 4 and he leaves Cole on the bench. WVU ties it up in an instant. RJ comes back in and is ice cold. I love Hurley as our program builder, I really dislike him in close games. We couldn't hit anything but we also don't run anything. That's a bad loss.
I find this to be undeniable.

But do any of our boneyard analytics people have stats on this. How have we done under Hurley in games we are tied or up a few points in the final 4 minutes? It seems like we collapse and lose most of them

Reaction Score
I swear half this board is watching a different team. I feel like people are disappointed because this team isn't 95-96 huskies reincarnated

Reaction Score
We really miss Martin's toughness, leadership, and rebounding. With just him we win that game comfortably.
We also miss competent refs. The goaltending call at the end of the first half, a foul called when the UConn defender clearly had all ball, hand checking with two hands, the team that’s by far the more aggressive defensively is in the bonus faster than a bullet train. Also thought several calls that went against Hawkins were unfair.

Reaction Score
Went live with Russ Steinberg to share some thoughts post-game...

Reaction Score
They haven't played anyone. Do you think they had more talent than UConn even without Sanogo and Martin? Do you think we should've closed it out when we had all the momentum?
Absolutely we should’ve closed it out. The matured talent disparity was not that far apart. Most of our “elite” talent is young and untested in my opinion. I don’t share the sentiment that this is a “terrible” WV team. I don’t know where that even came from. No one around the country favored us on tonight’s game. That’s a boneyard created narrative that they aren’t a pretty decent team

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom