Post game thread (merged thread) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Post game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I've seen a number of comments on this thread about "glum looks" on the UConn bench, and a lack of enthusiasm compared to other games.

I think there is a simple explanation for a lot of that -- a number of the players had come out of the game knowing that they had screwed up on defense, and they knew what that meant for upcoming practices.

During my working career, I can vividly remember a few occasions (fortunately only a few) when I said something in a meeting with my boss and the senior VP present, and then realized that I had said exactly the wrong thing. My expression at that conference table probably looked glum also, as I was contemplating what they would say to me after the meeting.

Specifically, I saw Dorka / Caroline / AE / Azzi sitting on the bench after coming out of the game, probably feeling as if they had been exposed on defense, and not looking forward to the consequences.

Reaction Score
To be completely honest, I think Geno could get better results with a carrot rather than the near constant stick. These are women. Appreciation goes a long way. Arizona's coach gets a lot out of her players with less.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I never heard Geno state he’d like to reduce Paige’s minutes. After the Arkansas game, in his postgame presser, I did hear him suggest that maybe he would play Paige 40 minutes every game.

Geno has the luxury of a deep roster this season, but he’s won championships playing basically 6 players. What he also said the day before the Arkansas game is that it takes time to develop continuity and consistency when you play a lot of players.

Yesterday was just the first step this season. Geno played 9 players against a good team. At times they looked fabulous. Other times they didn’t. I know it’s hard for UConn fans to be patient, but championships are never won based on the results of a single game.
RIght after he said that maybe he would play Paige for 40 minutes, he immediately said that was not what he wanted, and he did it only out of necessity. He still hoped and expected that there is enough talent on the team that it won't be necessary for Paige to play that much.

I agree with the main point you are making, but the bolded statement above is incorrect -- he said yesterday that he would LIKE to reduce Paige's minutes as soon as it becomes feasible.

Reaction Score
To be completely honest, I think Geno could get better results with a carrot rather than the near constant stick. These are women. Appreciation goes a long way. Arizona's coach gets a lot out of her players with less.
How many championships do you have?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would like to address some of the comments about "hand wringing" and "all the negativity".

My post was the very first one and was fairly critical of the team in certain aspects. It was also glowing when discussing Paige, Evina, and to a lesser extent Christyn (sans her FT's).

Geno after the game said "we did more good things than bad, but the bad things were REALLY REALLY bad". That's pretty much a direct quote. So the folks on here who are pointing out the "bad" stuff are just seeing what we all saw, including Geno and the coaches.

I think part of the frustration is that this is NOT a new team. The starting 5 is the same 5 who started the last game at the end of last season. So aside from getting back into UCONN game shape, etc, I expected the starters to look more like they did at the end of last season. They did for about 5 minutes. That was all. Hence my criticism of them as a whole, but really mostly Liv and Aaliyah.

Of the super subs, Dorka had numerous mental lapses, Azzi looked lost on both ends of the court, and Caroline put up a bagel in the stats lines except for 1 TO and 1 foul. Nika, who looked tremendous last season when she got acclimated and was healthy, had a steal and what not shortly after entering the game, then was unnoticeable the rest of the minutes she played.

So was it a win? Yeah. Was Paige phenomenal? Hell yeah. were Evina and Christyn both really solid? Very much so.
So as a group, I'd give those guards an A-. But the rest of the team? Maybe a C-.

I don't really think people are losing their minds, just that when you lose no starters from the previous season, I think it's fair to expect more than what we saw, especially from Liv and Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
Just rewatched and for most of the game Arkansas center positioned away from the basket which opened up that area for their penetration.

Reaction Score
There isn't one solution for the entire team because every player responds differently to different stimuli. One player may well respond better to a carrot, but another might not respect you unless you use a 'stick'. I'll trust Geno to know who responds to what, and how to get the best out of them because he has spent time one-on-one with them, sees them every day, knows their personalities, and is a coach who seems to have had phenomenal success developing young women into some of the most professional and skilled players and people to come out of the college sports system. Also, I have no doubt that Geno appreciates each and every player on his team. If he sometimes screams at them courtside during a game, so be it. If they can't handle it, they are in the wrong place. If the players can't handle Geno's way of doing things, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have committed to UConn to begin with. It's no secret how he coaches. There are no participation trophies handed out in April and I'm pretty sure no player on any of Geno's teams has ever in their lifetime had one of those on their mantle.

Just so we can appreciate how another coach handles it and gets a lot out their players with less, please provide us with some actual examples of how Arizona's coach does this. Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
So when the Huskies were up 17-2 at the start of the game, or when the started the second half on a 10-2 run, you don’t think defense had anything to do with it?
Right on. It's like they didn't have the maturity to maintain their defense after AR called a time out to stop the bleeding.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Right on. It's like they didn't have the maturity to maintain their defense after AR called a time out to stop the bleeding.
I would respectfully suggest that UConn’s lineup changes, particularly with several Bigs in foul trouble had something to do with some of the defensive lapses by the Huskies. I would also say that AR is a team that scores a lot of points. For instance, last season they put up 96 against MD, but still lost by 15.

Reaction Score
You are right that one great player surrounded by the right players can make a dominant team. However, eventually they face a team that simply has too much talent and the great player just is not enough! This is what happened with Bird in the National Championship game. Magic cancelled Bird out and the rest of the team simply could not match up.

I have no doubt that if you took Bird and inserted him onto Michigan State and put Magic on Indiana State, Michigan State would still have won. The supporting cast for Magic was better than that for Bird.

Manning was your other example and he was able to actually win the big game. Danny and the Miracles! What a performance! However, imo, he had better talent around him than Bird had and he was not facing another transcendent talent. It was still a legendary performance though.

The material point is that while the one dominant player team can occasionally win the big one, in the long run the percentages will out and 1great/4 mediocres will not win over 1great/4goods. As Damon Runyon said, “the race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that’s the way to bet”.

Last years NC game was yet another example. McDonald basically took her team on her shoulders and willed them into the final. However, in the end Stanford prevailed (barely) because they just had more talented players across the board. Imo Arizona played to the very top of their talent level while Stanford did not. That is why they were very fortunate to win a game that, on paper, they should have dominated.

It's true that one player teams usually get beat in the end when their star has a mediocre game but it's also true that they can beat some really good teams when they have a great game. Both Dungee and McDonald had great games. I'm sure if we read the Little Rock and Tucson papers there would be no mention of poor defense while praise for a great guard performance would dominate the articles.
I myself am critical of a lot of what I saw Sunday. but it's THE FIRST GAME. I expected to see more energy. I'm very confident that UConn's defense will be up near or at the top by February or sooner.

Reaction Score
It's true that one player teams usually get beat in the end when their star has a mediocre game but it's also true that they can beat some really good teams when they have a great game. Both Dungee and McDonald had great games. I'm sure if we read the Little Rock and Tucson papers there would be no mention of poor defense while praise for a great guard performance would dominate the articles.
I myself am critical of a lot of what I saw Sunday. but it's THE FIRST GAME. I expected to see more energy. I'm very confident that UConn's defense will be up near or at the top by February or sooner.
I agree with you here.

One thing I've noticed in my time here is that it can be the last game played, the first game played, the first scrimmage, or even the first practice, but there is never a time when the calls for season ending doom are not being posted. Which is fine, because there really is never a time when any shortcoming should not be addressed and fixed/dealt with. Isn't that the whole point of sports?

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Its amazing the conclusions so many can put forth from one game-- a first game, and a game against a very good team. Remember this team had only one exhibition game prior to its opening. And I hardly think any of the current top teams would have written AK as a sure win on their opening day. I'm going to put myself in that unsavory bin labeled-- Chasing Perfection. Rather than the temping one-- Perfection Achieved.
First, my memories about the Stewart's era failed to show a team that blasted out of the gate with championship written all over the place. Jefferson had issues and Stewart was rightfully benched. In the end, the 5 dominated the minutes and learned to play together as a whole unit. And so that story continued until there were no other places to conquer. Any idea that this current team should steam-rolled AK doesn't make sense for me. Well, it's a wishful desire one may have, but one that will surely end in disappointment.

One un-ease that I have difficulties shaking regarding this current team is the lack of a killer instinct. PB is the only one who is willing and fearless. (CW has some of it and Edwards can, if her hands are not tied) EW has decided (it seems to me) to play a too controlled style, as if she is still suffering from her Tenn years when they dubbed her as a selfish player. She can put points on the board and a lot more would help.
The big danger I hope the team can avoid is that PB (w/ the media) casts such a big shadow that the players-- including the very able ones, settle for the crumbs instead of doing their own baking. Fudd of course could break-out and bring the other freshmen with her to balance PB.

For me, the game went as I might have expected-- jitters from the seniors who are now counting downward; nervousness from the beginners; players rotations and roles/expectations.
Remember. This team won over SC-- a tall and good rebounding team; matched a high scoring Iowa team, even though we were not supposed to be a scoring team; and, it took down Baylor-- a tall, physical and athletic team with seniors headed to the WNBA. And we have more and capable bodies this year. ;)
I agree in general. I also feel that to alleviate some of the log jam and it not so much the Paige show to have a A and B squad that way everyone stays limber and game ready, may even help keep the injury bug at bay. They need the minutes to acclimate to game time situations. When you looked at that bench they all looked like their dogged died no animation. They all looked tense even Paige who's usually animated was subdued- looked like the weight of the world was on her shoulders. Need that vibe back.

Reaction Score
I agree in general. I also feel that to alleviate some of the log jam and it not so much the Paige show to have a A and B squad that way everyone stays limber and game ready, may even help keep the injury bug at bay. They need the minutes to acclimate to game time situations. When you looked at that bench they all looked like their dogged died no animation. They all looked tense even Paige who's usually animated was subdued- looked like the weight of the world was on her shoulders. Need that vibe back.

I thought that the looks on their faces were what the losers usually look like and the reason was that they knew their defensive effort was "less than optimal". I thought one of the reasons was that the refs were whistle happy and took the flow out of the game.

I watched the Stanford collapse yesterday and they have much bigger problems than UConn. Brink and Belibi were a combined 3-5 against Texas and they have no point guard. Maybe UConn will trade one of them for, say, Betts? :rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Many posters have been talking about the energy or the lack there of. Maybe the reason for that lack was announced today with the news of Saylor entering the Transfer Portal. I wonder how many of the players knew this was going to happen and it may have played a part in the team seeming to be down a bit.

Reaction Score
How many championships do you have?
He's not a God. When Arizona hit him with a great game plan he couldn't respond. I see the same approach every game. He's got a great thing going but not all of it is coaching genius. He has had a lot of talent also. Williams is a great example. Does he appreciate what he has there? Is he managing Ododa that well? Every kid is different. I watched the Stanford game yesterday and they couldn't hit a 3 if their life depended on it. And their coach was ripping a new hole in them. It only made it worse. Haley Jones looked like she was in cardiac arrest by the end of that game. There is a time for pressure and a time for encouragement. Any coach knows that. I'm sure Geno knows that better than almost anyone but as he ages he appears to be forgetting that some. Look at all the teams that have tightened up in the world series and lost when they were better on paper. Being loose and having fun often works. Playing unconsciously often helps those 3 balls splash. In the Arizona game last year their coach was nothing but encouragement and her players ran through walls for her.

Reaction Score
First, it was exciting to start the season on time and with fans. What a joy to see (even if on tv).

As a UConn faculty member, it’s been fascinating and frustrating to observe Covid19 effects on young people. As a group, the kids are not alright. They are doing their best and muscling through as best they can, but they are not alright. They have lost so much from a foundational time period of their lives. The effects are surprising and unpredictable. Their performance is variable.

Quite frankly, with the pressure the wbb team has, it’s impressive that they are out there giving it their all. They know what they want, and they are passionate, but there’s been a lot going on in the world in their short lives.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Many posters have been talking about the energy or the lack there of. Maybe the reason for that lack was announced today with the news of Saylor entering the Transfer Portal. I wonder how many of the players knew this was going to happen and it may have played a part in the team seeming to be down a bit.
That's a reasonable assumption there. The bench thing is creating havoc-things like that mess with team dynamics. CW has been carrying that down in the mouth vibe too with her ups and downs. She's trying to put a positive spin but...I recall in her interviews she would say things like I am under the radar now. I was a number one recruit too but it's okay. I would wonder why she keeps bringing that up and she's played...but let's hope the ship gets righted and the focus returns where it belongs. Geno please yell less encourage more. Boost their morale a little..even soldiers need a morale booster once in awhile. Sheesh

Last edited:
Reaction Score
but I would assume that you would agree that at some point the coaches should be held accountable, also. . . . To me that is definitely a coaching thing.
I agree with you. At UCONN there definitely is a "coaching thing." That "coaching thing" is the most consecutive final fours and most championships in the history of the sport. I do hold that HOF coach "accountable" for these things and being the greatest coach WCBB has ever seen.

Not to mention continually recruits phenomenally (probably much to do with style of play and ofc all the winning) considering location, campus, and conference vs some other programs. All of the rest of wcbb needs to be held “accountable” why they have been on the short end of the “Lil ol’ UCONN stick.

Reaction Score
He's not a God. When Arizona hit him with a great game plan he couldn't respond. I see the same approach every game. He's got a great thing going but not all of it is coaching genius. He has had a lot of talent also. Williams is a great example. Does he appreciate what he has there? Is he managing Ododa that well? Every kid is different. I watched the Stanford game yesterday and they couldn't hit a 3 if their life depended on it. And their coach was ripping a new hole in them. It only made it worse. Haley Jones looked like she was in cardiac arrest by the end of that game. There is a time for pressure and a time for encouragement. Any coach knows that. I'm sure Geno knows that better than almost anyone but as he ages he appears to be forgetting that some. Look at all the teams that have tightened up in the world series and lost when they were better on paper. Being loose and having fun often works. Playing unconsciously often helps those 3 balls splash. In the Arizona game last year their coach was nothing but encouragement and her players ran through walls for her.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but coaching is a results based business. Everyone has their own style and approach, with none of them being foolproof, but in a sports contest they never ask you how, just how many. GA is most often compared to John Wooden because of national championships, and if you can find two personalities and coaching styles more polar opposite, good luck. No matter their style or personality my guess is they shared one common trait, and that would be “firm but fair”. They may have expressed it in different manners, but without both of those neither would have achieved the results that speak for themselves.
GA is not running a popularity contest, and just guessing here, he will continue to coach in the same style that has been successful beyond even his expectations. There is no guaranteed plan for success in coaching, but there is a sure fire path for failure: try to please everyone.
JMO

Reaction Score
I watched some games from the Maya Moore era a few weeks ago and, when I watched yesterday's game I was reminded of Geno's talk with the players in the first half of the UCONN- North Carolina game on January 19, 2009. He was rather disgusted with his teams' play, except for Renee Montgomery. He called time out and looked at as his players and then spoke only to Renee and said, "Well, I guess you will have to win this one all by yourself."

Reaction Score
Seems like there is an Arizona Wildcat cub trying to sneak into the Huskies dog pound in this thread. Read the comment details and pay attention folks. Once you realize who they are, all you should hear is "meow, meow, coach, meow".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom