Possible portal targets | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Possible portal targets

Reaction Score
Won't be enough chairs when the music stops for all the kids who want to end up in Colorado.

Reaction Score
I'm sure a few posters will get their panties up in a wad over this, but Tyler P isn't taking another meaningful snap at QB for UConn again.
Just making the point of why he did not even look at UConn last year and why he would not come if his brother is on the roster

Reaction Score
If they go 8-4 next year and Prime gets coach of the year, I quit
They have 6 top 25 teams on the schedule, no fcs teams and only one non power 5 on the schedule. If Colorado goes 8-4 that's a definite coach of the year. Going 6 and 6 with wins against an fcs team and mostly g5 average teams comes no where close to that.

Reaction Score
I have no reason to think we will get serious looks from any one of the group of QBs mentioned, but I will say this: for those of you who thought Zion Turner is a locked in starter going forward, you may want to reevaluate your opinions. He may still start, and improve, and lead us to more and more wins -- that would be fine with me -- but I think it's clear that Mora intends to take this program a long way very quickly and would add anyone through the portal who he thinks will help him do that. At any position. And there is certainly room for us to be improved at QB.
QB and more skilled receivers are the most obvious holes we have. Maybe ZT improves but we need a whole lot better next year if we want to continue progressing.

Reaction Score
If 3 transfer out, 3 come in one way or another. That's not the smart argument you think it is...
What I'm saying is that ZT did a good job and he will get better. Last year, everyone thought Tyler Phommachanh was going to be our star QB (and he was good as a frosh), so I think those two (and TR and CM and the new kid from Mass) will help the offense next year. I believe Charlton didn't want to overwhelm ZT this year with plays. I think spring you'll see what our QBs will do.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
QB and more skilled receivers are the most obvious holes we have. Maybe ZT improves but we need a whole lot better next year if we want to continue progressing.
What I'm saying is that ZT did a good job and he will get better. Last year, everyone thought Tyler Phommachanh was going to be our star QB (and he was good as a frosh), so I think those two (and TR and CM and the new kid from Mass) will help the offense next year. I believe Charlton didn't want to overwhelm ZT this year with plays. I think spring you'll see what our QBs will do.

Even coming off his ACL injury many posters had the attitude that if Tyler Phommachanh was the starter after Mora brought in Roberson, Millen and Turner it was an indication of a QB who won a battle against legitimate D1 QB's.

Same can be said for next year. If ZT beats out the returning QB's, plus a possible transfer QB and another frosh QB, it means ZT is better at doing things the staff wants than the others.

Bottom line, increase the total talent level of the position and see who wins it.

Do I wish we saw more from ZT last year? No doubt. It's obvious there are some passes he struggles with and he was slow to recognize some schemes. But, I have no qualms if he lines up under center for QB next year because I know he beat out others rather than starting by default.

Reaction Score
Updated Transfer Portal (only) Offers

2023 UConn Offer/Commit List (click on commit's name link for Highlights)
  1. Shane Cokes (DL) - Dayton Ohio>Dartmouth College (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  2. Da’Quan Felton (WR) - Portsmouth Virginia> Norfolk State University (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  3. Lavoris Fleming (OL) - Milwaukee Wisconsin>Virginia University-Lynchburg (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  4. Anthony Queeley (WR) - Orlando Florida> Syracuse University (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  5. Ahmad McCullough (LB) - Baltimore Maryland> University of Maryland (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  6. Rivaldo Fairweather (TE) - Lauderhill Florida>FIU (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  7. Rocko Griffin (RB) - Rincon Georgia>Vanderbilt University (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  8. Tanner Arkin (TE) - Fort Collins Colorado>Colorado State University (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  9. Weston Wolff (TE) - Venice Florida>!University of Maryland (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  10. Tyrese Chambers (WR) - Baltimore Maryland>Florida International University (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  11. Marshawn Kneeland (DL) - Grand Rapid Michigan>WMU (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  12. Jalen Mitchell (RB) - Rockledge Florida>Louisville (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  13. Caleb Banks (DL) - Southfield Michigan>Louisville (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  14. Tyler Grubbs (LB) - New Orleans LA>Louisiana Tech (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  15. Tyneil Hopper (TE) - Roswell Georgia>Boise State University (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  16. Khari Johnson (DB) - Boston MA>Suffield Academy>Arkansas (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  17. Dontae Fleming (WR) - Laplace Louisiana> Louisiana-Lafayette (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  18. Dre Butler (DL) - Covington Georgia >Independence CC>Auburn>Liberty (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  19. Jaylon Braden (WR) - Lizella Georgia>University of Pittsburg (Transfer Portal) (Mora)
  20. Gage King (Long Snapper) - El Dorado Hills, California>Arizona State University (Transfer Portal) (Mora)

Reaction Score
Don’t forget the kid from AZ too.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Even coming off his ACL injury many posters had the attitude that if Tyler Phommachanh was the starter after Mora brought in Roberson, Millen and Turner it was an indication of a QB who won a battle against legitimate D1 QB's.

Same can be said for next year. If ZT beats out the returning QB's, plus a possible transfer QB and another frosh QB, it means ZT is better at doing things the staff wants than the others.

Bottom line, increase the total talent level of the position and see who wins it.

Do I wish we saw more from ZT last year? No doubt. It's obvious there are some passes he struggles with and he was slow to recognize some schemes. But, I have no qualms if he lines up under center for QB next year because I know he beat out others rather than starting by default.
No way we keep all those QBs on this roster come the Spring. Looking forward to see who Mora brings in across the board.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No way we keep all those QBs on this roster come the Spring. Looking forward to see who Mora brings in across the board.

Well, I suspect two of the QB's on the current roster will be elsewhere next season. New reality of football is if you are not on the two deep and you don't see a path towards playing time, you transfer to a new school. UConn's QB talent level is so bad they could only transfer to FCS or D2/3.

Reaction Score
Well, I suspect two of the QB's on the current roster will be elsewhere next season. New reality of football is if you are not on the two deep and you don't see a path towards playing time, you transfer to a new school. UConn's QB talent level is so bad they could only transfer to FCS or D2/3.
We could also see a guy like Millen switch to WR. He showed elite speed on the QB keep TD against FIU.

Reaction Score
Mora is following U of AZ WR Anthony Simpson (from Bloomfield) on Twitter. Don't see anything about him being in the Portal though.
He also liked a tweet about how Edsall undervalued the kid and that Mora should bring him home.

Attachments

• 17D59D4A-AC00-447E-96D9-8B8C6EF0AA9D.png
    17D59D4A-AC00-447E-96D9-8B8C6EF0AA9D.png
    412.2 KB · Views: 240
  • C1B681D0-D734-4FD0-93FF-D33FD95D50B6.png
    C1B681D0-D734-4FD0-93FF-D33FD95D50B6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 257

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics