Possible portal targets | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Possible portal targets

Reaction Score
Portal Commits to UConn...
QB - Brendon Lewis Colorado 3 star
CB - Zakhari Spears Washington 3 star
WR - Nick Marder Cincinnati 3 star
LB - Kolbe Cage Arizona 3 star
Lewis, Marder, and Cage haven't announced on social media. Are they private commits?

Reaction Score
* Mardner *

Reaction Score
* Mardner *
If these end up being the names that would be quite a haul. I know Spears is official now and I don't know much about Cage but Mardner could definitely be a good complimentary receiver with what we have already (he had almost 1000 yards one year at Hawaii) and Lewis was one of the top commits Colorado has gotten in the previous years and has a super accurate arm. I think offense is adding for depth and defense is rebuilding a bit with some of the kids graduating (plus we don't know who will leave or has already said they are leaving in private after the bowl game). Would love a starting-caliber OLine to replace Guidone (if healthy, there's going to be some depth there this year otherwise) and some linebacker depth. I think there's going to be some kids who we didn't hear a lot from this year who are already on the roster who are going to step up (especially on the lines and secondary). Transfers are nice but we are building this program around Turner, Rosa, Mitchell, Joly and the kids who held over from pre-Mora. The transfers are depth and 1-2 year starters.

Reaction Score
Always good to bring in big boys, but remember we brought in a lot of OL portals last year, most of whom never played.

Reaction Score
Always good to bring in big boys, but remember we brought in a lot of OL portals last year, most of whom never played.
Also didn't see or hear much from the big-name university WR transfers out of BC and Texas. I like these transfers, but I'll also be happy if the players we have, who were loyal and have shown they can produce (Ross, Marion, etc) can stay healthy

Reaction Score
If we learned anything this year, it's that getting someone from the portal from a P-5 school, if he wasn't playing a material amount there, doesn't tell you he'll be a big help here. Of course, the staff taking him tells you that they think he'll help at some time.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
40% of the Oline (2/5) were transfers. Yes, several others were brought in but the line was definitely fortified and solidified by transfers.
This is the most overlooked yet most important portal business we did last year. Our defense could have played their hearts out but without our stout OL, fortified by those two transfers, our offense would be going nowhere.

The splashy position players get us excited, but getting the big hogs on the OL is where this team was successful and allowed our RBs, even 4th string Rosa, have lots of success. I believe Senn was one of the two and still has eligibility while Giudone will be a massive loss. I love the rumored adds but I wanna see established OL transfers and I trust Mora and Co. also know that our success lies with how our O-Line protects and opens holes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is the most overlooked yet most important portal business we did last year. Our defense could have played their hearts out but without our stout OL, fortified by those two transfers, our offense would be going nowhere.

The splashy position players get us excited, but getting the big hogs on the OL is where this team was successful and allowed our RBs, even 4th string Rosa, have lots of success. I believe Senn was one of the two and still has eligibility while Giudone will be a massive loss. I love the rumored adds but I wanna see established OL transfers and I trust Mora and Co. also know that our success lies with how our O-Line protects and opens holes.

I wouldn't protest if someone said replacing Guidone is highest priority out of all players who used up eligibility or transferred.

Reaction Score
Senn transferred under former regime. I hope the P5 guys we brought in last year push for PT in 23.
True. The kid from Alabama and the New Canaan kid from Michigan both were brought in with multiple years of eligibility. They were both pretty highly recruited coming out of HS. Hopefully they had a year to develop in our system and will make an impact next year.

Reaction Score
Senn transferred under former regime. I hope the P5 guys we brought in last year push for PT in 23.
PT will come hard to come by, Senn and Nyadu were the only guys last year that played all snaps with Haynes playing less than 8 snaps. Basically O-line is one of the positions that you will rarely see guys get PT if starters are solidified.

Reaction Score
PT will come hard to come by, Senn and Nyadu were the only guys last year that played all snaps with Haynes playing less than 8 snaps. Basically O-line is one of the positions that you will rarely see guys get PT if starters are solidified.

While teams don't normally do a lot of rotating on the OL, part of our lack thereof this year was a lack of depth on the OL. It's not clear to me that we had more than 6 OL that the staff was comfortable with.

Reaction Score
While teams don't normally do a lot of rotating on the OL, part of our lack thereof this year was a lack of depth on the OL. It's not clear to me that we had more than 6 OL that the staff was comfortable with.
Part of the scenario was that a few underclassmen OL's were out with injury so hopefully they begin to add depth at the least and make an actual game day impact next season to a small to moderate degree.

Reaction Score
I think what was very unusual this year was how durable the line was this season as the top 4 barely missed a snap. BL is correct that about 6 players saw significant playing time, but 12 OL (13 if you include Brown who played TE as he recovered) did see playing time this year. And, UConn had a really good line this year. If you look at PFF ratings for run blocking and pass blocking (which does include more than linemen) UConn ranked 27th for run blocking and 16th for pass blocking out of 131 schools. Also, here are the position ranks (min 50% of team snaps played) of the 5 starting OL:

Haynes: #3 G
Ofori-Nyadu: #8 G
Senn: #37 T
Guidone: #23 C
Lundt: #132 T

In other words, the OL played so well both individually and collectively why would you substitute in players that are not as good?

Here are the snap counts:

Senn: 742
Ofori-Nyadu: 742
Haynes: 736
Guidone: 717
Lundt: 605
Fortin: 268
Walker: 35
Stewart: 15
Pohahau: 15
Antolovich: 15
Barboza: 9
Shor: 6

Brown: 76

Reaction Score
Overall, O-Line is a position that I am not worried about at all at the moment, this past year we had 5 starters who I was satisfied with and several talented backups. I believe that is we bring in 1/2 transfers for dept and for training camp battles we should be very set there (provided we dont lose many guys via transfer). I also feel pretty good about skill positions, and even QB we should be at a minimum as good next year as we were this year. It is all about the defense in the portal IMO. Need to replenish as we are going to lose a ton of production

Reaction Score
Overall, O-Line is a position that I am not worried about at all at the moment, this past year we had 5 starters who I was satisfied with and several talented backups. I believe that is we bring in 1/2 transfers for dept and for training camp battles we should be very set there (provided we dont lose many guys via transfer). I also feel pretty good about skill positions, and even QB we should be at a minimum as good next year as we were this year. It is all about the defense in the portal IMO. Need to replenish as we are going to lose a ton of production

We return 8 defensive starters (barring transfers); all four on the DL, Jackson Mitchell, both safeties and Bell. We also return Shearin, who might be considered a starter depending on whether we played more snaps in a 4-2-5 or a 4-3-4 (with Bouyer-Randle instead of Shearin). Yes, we lose people — you always do — but we have a really strong base returning, all of whom should continue improving, that should make us better so long as some folks who come in at LB are competent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom