• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Consider, if UConn was able to do what it did in that first decade a whole decade prior to 2004, it would've been UConn and not BC that joined the ACC. Why did BC get in over UConn?
At that point, UConn did not want to leave. We were the flagship school in the Big East; we thought we could hold the conference together.

It was only later--when it was clear most of our conference mates were traitorous scum, and the Big East would not survive--that we started looking to the ACC. But too late.

Reaction Score
The the PAC 12 reaches an agreement to stay together and essentially spurns the Big 12’ advancements, doesn’t that signal the weakness of the Big 12 compared to the other P5s? Why would we want to jump to what could then be argued the weakest P5 conference and getting locked into that instead of retaining flexibility to see how things develop? If the PAC 12 GOR news is correct, that tells us what other schools think of this new Big 12.
Because while we wait to see "how things develop" we starve financially, lose fb recruiting battles, and eventually fall behind after our current coaches retire or are hired away. On top of that the BE makes it that much more expensive to leave. Time is not on our side.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I want to thank the Boneyard posters for convincing me that football CTE is a myth.

Reaction Score
How did we go from Big 12 to concussions? These threads never cease to amaze me.
Silliness. In 50 years the nation's #1 popular sport may (or may not!!) still be at #1, so let's stay in the regional league that spans time zones with a bunch of small private religious schools.

Reaction Score
Is this for basketball? I’d rather see basketball stay in a consistently competitive basketball league that is no way a midmajor, and play good teams and have a chance at winning national titles (like we did this past year).

For all other sports, they can stay in a borderline mid major and win or play good schools and lose, or play good schools and win. I don’t care either way.

If the argument is we need to join the Big 12 to protect our basketball program from future consolidation in case P5 teams break off and make their own version of March Madness, then fine, I’m open to that argument.

If your argument starts with “we should join the big 12 because it helps football/baseball/soccer/track” , I’m out.
I think this kind of myopia is shared by a number of UConn fans. Basketball and nothing else matters. I also get the Big East nostalgia. Moving back was the right move. Basketball has thrived. Football Independence gave us options. But nostalgia is just that. I've been a fan since before my time on campus in the early 80's. Those battles were epic. But times have changed. The landscape has changed. Economic and competitive realities make this unsustainable in the long run, and dropping however many other sports you don't care about won't change that. And the old glory days burned into my memory of the Big East aren't coming back. We need to move forward.

Reaction Score
Silliness. In 50 years the nation's #1 popular sport may (or may not!!) still be at #1, so let's stay in the regional league that spans time zones with a bunch of small private religious schools.
The one that won three of the last seven basketball national championships?

Theres something to be said for knowing your strengths and weaknesses, and playing to your strengths.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
You’re right you are very smart and I have no clue. You want to go to the big 12 that’s fine and maybe the right move, but the need for some to disrespect the big east on the way out doesn’t say smart it screams classless.
Yeah I get that.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
I want to thank the Boneyard posters for convincing me that football CTE is a myth.
And for like the 8th time I’ll have to put you on ignore. No middle ground, just your opinion is correct and when argued, you just go over the top outlandish nonsense. When the SEC is playing flag football in 4 years I’ll be the first to tell you that you were correct. Go Big East! Go Independent Football!! Can’t wait to see the Apple Cash come pouring in.

Reaction Score
The one that won three of the last seven basketball national championships?

Theres something to be said for knowing your strengths and weaknesses, and playing to your strengths.
Basketball is one small part of an athletic department, it's not the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Should schedule a few marquis fb games at Patriot Place
speaking of patriot place, they should at least consider turning The Rent area into something more than an empty stadium 350 days a year and cabella's. An on campus stadium becomes the campus crown jewel. A stadium at Rentschler Field is an isolated empty concrete structure getting minimum maintenance because no one sees it all year long except for half a dozen fall weekends.

foxboro.jpg

Reaction Score
Basketball is one small part of an athletic department, it's not the athletic department.
Basketball is hardly a small part of the athletic department. To most of the country, UConn Basketball defines UConn athletics. It puts us on the map.

But to your larger point, I just don’t see how all the extra travel with a move to the big 12, is anything but detrimental to women’s field hockey, track and field, swimming, and all the other “non professional“ sports that account for the bulk of UConn NCAA athletes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The "football drives the bus" people ignore that once doctors can diagnose CTE in living people, the number of kids playing football is probably going to drop dramatically, even in the south, and football players and programs may become uninsurable. Or the sport is going to have to change so much that it will be barely be comparable to what we watch today.
The question is moot. Reason being football doesn't require the skill of other sports. Name another sport where you go from playing pick-up basketball in college to the pros. Players don't need high school football for colleges to present an acceptable product. They can get coached up when they get there. As long as there is money to be made playing football, people will play football.

Reaction Score
Basketball is hardly a small part of the athletic department. To most of the country, UConn Basketball defines UConn athletics. It puts us on the map.

But to your larger point, I just don’t see how all the extra travel with a move to the big 12, is anything but detrimental to women’s field hockey, track and field, swimming, and all the other “non professional“ sports that account for the bulk of UConn NCAA athletes.
I see where you're going but in UConn's case, one should argue the exact opposite. Field Hockey would probably stay in the Big East. Baseball would benefit hugely by playing the southern boys regularly. Hockey is in Hockey East. Soccer would find a different home.

UConn is extremely successful across the board: Field Hockey, Soccer, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey. So yes, Basketball is the biggest game but UConn's AD really is much more than just basketball. In the grand scheme of things, the Big East just isn't big enough. And UConn Football needs a home.

Reaction Score
Football vs soccer numbers are similar for youth athletes. Many more football players in high school (teams are bigger).

Good effort!
It's pretty close though. 970k football players, 850k soccer players.

Reaction Score
At that point, UConn did not want to leave. We were the flagship school in the Big East; we thought we could hold the conference together.

It was only later--when it was clear most of our conference mates were traitorous scum, and the Big East would not survive--that we started looking to the ACC. But too late.
???

UConn definitely wanted an ACC slot at that time.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Fair enough, but having a college football stadium 25 miles off-campus gives him a talking point that he would not otherwise have.
Blame the politicians for the off-campus stadium.

Reaction Score
It's pretty close though. 970k football players, 850k soccer players.
More and more high schools are dropping football or merging teams with other schools due to declining youth football participation due to concerns over CTE, gets getting lazy and preferring playing Madden on PS5 to real football.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
For all the pearl clutching about the need to be in the “P5”, the same writers (and posters for that matter) have been saying that the P5 would dominate basketball for the last 10 years, and exactly 1 P5 team played in the Final Four in April.

Reaction Score
For all the pearl clutching about the need to be in the “P5”, the same writers (and posters for that matter) have been saying that the P5 would dominate basketball for the last 10 years, and exactly 1 P5 team played in the Final Four in April.

28 of the 36 auto bids went to P5 conference teams and 5 others went to the Big East which most people consider a basketball power conference. That is domination. Do you think FAU 's coach will stay there much longer? I doubt it, and San Diego St will likely be in a power conference by mid July at the latest. How come nobody in their fanbase is questioning whether or not they should change conferences?

at the end of the day we either strive to join a P5 conference or drop football. This is really a referendum on football. Personally I'm glad the majority wants to join a P5 conference which will bring 30K + back to Rent and revitalize the football team back to where it was in 2010 and hopefully exceed that with a great coach like Mora, and yes we would have more money for Hurley and his terrific coaching staff and be able to shrink the mammoth AD deficit.

Remember the stated goal of the B12 is to "double down" on being the best basketball conference in the country. That seems like a conference we should want to join. This year there were 54 former B12 players in the NBA and 24 from the Big East.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom