• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
You mean thank the politicians. The choice was The Rent or nothing.

We already had a on campus stadium, right? The issue was seating size. Amazingly the number of driving lanes into a major land grant campus with 18K plus students was the issue. There should be 4 Lanes imo, but at least go to three and reverse lane 3 for in/out traffic. As I think about this, there was concern of traffic for crowds of 40K or more 6 times a year. Is this correct?

Reaction Score
Here's a quick rhetorical question, if you can dropped football today with the athletic department turn a profit? The answer is no. Given that, it's tough to see how anyone can seriously suggest that dropping football will somehow magically make Connecticut athletics profitable.
Not that I’m advocating for it because I became a UConn fan through football, BUT if u dropped Fb you could also drop the corresponding 85 women’s sports scholarships…wouldn’t make it profitable but would cut losses substantially.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Amazingly the number of driving lanes into a major land grant campus with 18K plus students was the issue. There should be 4 Lanes imo, but at least go to three and reverse lane 3 for in/out traffic. As I think about this, there was concern of traffic for crowds of 40K or more 6 times a year. Is this correct?
I don't believe so. Building a new stadium on campus was such a non-starter that I don't believe they even got to worring about the traffic. Most here seem to forget that UConn missed the original deadline for joining Big East football because they could not get the stadium off the ground. UConn D-1 FB was dead until the Pats deal came around.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That mirrors my recollection. However, the road to Storrs does need improvement. UConn needs to take everyone on the board of any kind of planning or zoning commission in Mansfield and lock them in a dungeon until campus is as intended. Other than that the State should buy more of the land around the university and make it its own town.
I believe that development on the Athletic Campus is not subject to any zoning or planning review in Mansfield. If, on the other hand, we were to put the stadium on Discovery Drive for example, it would be.

The road into Storrs may need improvement, but it doesn't need improvement to merely to accommodate football fans on six days a year. Tailgating to feather the entrance and exit times along with smart traffic management policies could handle stadium fans as well for us as they do for the vast majority of colleges and universities across the nation.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
It's okay to have an unexpressed thought every now and then.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
LOL. I appreciate your effort to help me. But I was just making the point that saying you can’t leave your fate in someone else’s hands isn’t a real argument. We all do that in hundreds of ways every day. You have to actually evaluate how likely it is that such a strategy will harm instead of benefit you.
I did that fifty years ago and am still debating that about my wife. Of course if she reads this the debate will end quickly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm sure they would match Notre Dame. But Penn State has never been good in basketball. It has a 100 year history of failure. Why would he stay? Have you seen anybody lure Izzo away from Michigan State? Kansas poached Self from Illinois. Good P5 jobs > bad P5 jobs. I haven't seen small revenue schools poaching coaches from P5 schools, have you?

I'm confident that the UConn job will remain a very desirable job, might become even more desirable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Oh goodie, now we're going for Muntz level overstatements as if they make points.

No, we can't compete with football programs without football money. But if we drop football, to date, there is no indication that schools are willing to pay football money to benefit basketball. If basketball onlies were totally outgunned by football powers, the Big East and its teams would not be having the success they are.

Might this change in the future? Yes, it might, and I have been very clear that I believe that one day the power brands will try to dominate basketball revenues the way they dominate football revenues. That is why I would take a Big XII offer in the unlikely event it comes. But do I think it's irrational for others to conclude that the more football money Alabama and Arkansas generate, the more they will pour that back into football and that they don't care enough about hoops to break anything but football from the NCAA -- no, I don't think it is. When predicting the future reasonable people will come to differing conclusions.

You can keep going if you want. You have a free field because I've made my point to those who care what it is.

You think we should stay in the AAC. I heard you the first time.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm sure they would match Notre Dame. But Penn State has never been good in basketball. It has a 100 year history of failure. Why would he stay? Have you seen anybody lure Izzo away from Michigan State? Kansas poached Self from Illinois. Good P5 jobs > bad P5 jobs. I haven't seen small revenue schools poaching coaches from P5 schools, have you?

I'm confident that the UConn job will remain a very desirable job, might become even more desirable.
And we’ve never been good at football. Thanks for correlation.

You guys make our points without even knowing it. Penn St gets beaucoup bucks in Big10.(59 million) Notre Dame is a bottom dwelling ACC team making a little more than 1/2 the money in conference payout ( 10 mi hoops plus 22 mil football ind) . Why should we care about conference money?

Reaction Score
More and more high schools are dropping football or merging teams with other schools due to declining youth football participation due to concerns over CTE, gets getting lazy and preferring playing Madden on PS5 to real football.
I would say if football coaches were capable of exercising some level of responsibility, there'd be a lot less problems with CTE in football.

Instead, we have stuff like this:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I'm saying that they didn't because he would have gone anyway if they matched it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And we’ve never been good at football. Thanks for correlation.

You guys make our points without even knowing it. Penn St gets beaucoup bucks in Big10.(59 million) Notre Dame is a bottom dwelling ACC team making a little more than 1/2 the money in conference payout ( 10 mi hoops plus 22 mil football ind) . Why should we care about conference money?
Notre Dame gets 2x what we get just for Olympic sports. They have a history of success in hoops that Penn State doesn't.

We don't have much history at all in football honestly. But aside from the last 10 years, it's mostly decent. Yes, we would struggle to keep football coaches even with P5 money. Kansas just overpaid Leipold for the same reason. But we'd struggle even more in the Big East.

August_West

Reaction Score
Notre Dame gets 2x what we get just for Olympic sports. They have a history of success in hoops that Penn State doesn't.
When from digger Phelps?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hawk,

Don't waste your time. They know the reality, they just don't want to hear it so when a stray, unique situation arises (such as PSU and that with Happy Valley's location they really can only expect student attendance for weekday home games, which is half the schedule) they'll jump on it and claim it's the norm.

I've noticed that nobody has ever brought up the recent success Auburn, Alabama (despite the murders) and Miami (all football schools that in the not too distant past either cared very little for basketball or didn't even have a program) are enjoying these days in men's basketball.

The fact is they will slowly, steadily price out those who do not have the resources.

August_West

Reaction Score
Why did PC pay to keep theirs?
I mean they did, no? Cooley was offered double of Hurleys salary to stay, now he is making double of Hurleys salary at Georgetown, somehow those two teams dont play football and are not entertaining B12 offers but can pay a coach that in BigEast?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
When from digger Phelps?
Certainly then, but Brey had a .633 winning percentage over 23 years. Two elite 8s in the last 8 years. It's not Duke or Kentucky, but it's not Penn State either. Penn State hasn't had a coach with a better than .600 winning percentage since Elmer Gross from 1949-54.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Close. What I actually said that was that the influx of huge amounts of broadcast rate and college football playoff money to the football schools will inevitably inflate coaching salaries in facility races in pretty much every sport.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom