• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Close. What I actually said that was that the influx of huge amounts of broadcast rate and college football playoff money to the football schools will inevitably inflate coaching salaries in facility races in pretty much every sport.

But not today, right?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would say if football coaches were capable of exercising some level of responsibility, there'd be a lot less problems with CTE in football.

Instead, we have stuff like this:

Yikes. I remember being a little on the smaller side when I started to play. The first time in the game I got rocked and knocked on my butt on my very first play. Coach immediately pulled me out, less for concern over my well-being than as a consequence of getting knocked on my butt. Second half I "asked" him to put me back in, which he did, and I drilled the kid who knocked me down. The difference was I remembered to stay low the second time around.

That sad those two kids had no business matching up against each other. Coaches are to find ways for their players to succeed rather than setting them up for failure.

Reaction Score
I would say if football coaches were capable of exercising some level of responsibility, there'd be a lot less problems with CTE in football.

Instead, we have stuff like this:

This is exhibit A for the argument against tackle football for kids.

There’s no reason to risk long term brain damage.

CL82

Reaction Score
But not today, right?
I actually think it is already happening. The Cooley Georgetown PC debacle already had a ridiculous over pricing for Ed Cooley. Yes, none of those schools are P5 but that just reinforces the point that you don't have to be in the P5 to be subject to the effects of more money in the college athletic pool.

August_West

Reaction Score
I actually think it is already happening. The Cooley Georgetown PC debacle already had a ridiculous over pricing for Ed Cooley. Yes, none of those schools are P5 but that just reinforces the point that you don't have to be in the P5 to be subject to the effects of more money in the college athletic pool.
Or conversely, maybe the BigEast is a great basketball league with some of the best coaches in the country and the schools focus on basketball and somehow find a way, no?

CL82

Reaction Score
Or conversely, maybe the BigEast is a great basketball league with some of the best coaches in the country and the schools focus on basketball and somehow find a way, no?
I guess, of course that's the same school of thought that leads people into maxing out their credit cards in the hope that they will "somehow find a way" to pay it off in the future.

August_West

Reaction Score
I guess, of course that's the same school of thought that leads people into maxing out their credit cards in the hope that they will "somehow find a way" to pay it off in the future.

What the hell are you talking about? You're really flailing now.

Arm Flailing GIF

CL82

Reaction Score
What the hell are you talking about?
"Somehow find a way" isn't a plan. It is wishful thinking. Saying the big east schools will "somehow find a way" to compete with schools making as much is 20 times as the big East schools do is a nice sentiment, I guess, but it isn't based in reality.

Was that helpful?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I mean they did, no? Cooley was offered double of Hurleys salary to stay, now he is making double of Hurleys salary at Georgetown, somehow those two teams dont play football and are not entertaining B12 offers but can pay a coach that in BigEast?
They are both private universities so that could have something to do with how much they can pay, even with a smaller enrollment. But I really don’t have an opinion on this topic. It is like arguing with your wife, no matter which path you choose you are going to be wrong. I will say I am seeing yarders that are usually on the same page getting into some pretty spirited debates. No doubt there is a lot of emotion. I was still in high school and not even 18 when I borrowed my Dad’s car and went to first BE tournament at the Providence Civic Center…thinking UConn had finally made the big time. So I get the emotions and loyalty to the BE.

CL82

Reaction Score
Lol, did this make sense in your head?

Man you're in a pissy mood today. First year getting into a name-calling argument with the mods on the Seton Hall board and now you're trying to victory lap PC basketball ticket sale revenue? You do realize that every school has ticket sales right? The schools that are getting $30M, $50M or $70 million for broadcast rights in addition to that ticket revenue would seem to have a fairly significant advantage, no ?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is exhibit A for the argument against tackle football for kids.

There’s no reason to risk long term brain damage.
Kids need their parents to protect them. I had a guy at work bragging about the way his kid levelled the other players. Kid was 11.

Reaction Score
PSU shouldn't even count in this discussion since it has an incredibly bad cultural problem.

5% of the student body is black up from 3%. The avg. for all Pennsylvania universities is 11% just under the state population.

Another eye popping statistic: 60% of the student body at PSU is female.

It's tough to recruit to a place that is 3 1/2 hours from the nearest big city, and the student body doesn't look anything like where a majority of the players come from.

This goes for the football team as well which is more white than most.

August_West

Reaction Score
Lol, did this make sense in your head?

Man you're in a pissy mood today. First year getting into a name-calling argument with the mods on the Seton Hall board and now you're trying to victory lap PC basketball ticket sale revenue? You do realize that every school has ticket sales right? The schools that are getting $30M, $50M or $70 million for broadcast rights in addition to that ticket revenue would seem to have a fairly significant advantage, no ?
Whelp the answer of the last 10 years of national champions would say it probably does not. 3 BE one AAC, but the big10 raking in dollars, haven’t won in 23 years.

CL82

Reaction Score
Whelp the answer of the last 10 years of national champions would say it probably does not. 3 BE one AAC, but the big10 raking in dollars, haven’t won in 23 years.
(Lol oops you answered my post to FriarJ post using your August account. It must be tough to keep them straight. ;))

Fair point, but keep in mind the delta between the haves and the have nots were less during those championships. To pay for ours we are running about a $38 million deficit annually. As the difference between the haves and the have nots increase, eventually it won't be sustainable.

Reaction Score
Certainly then, but Brey had a .633 winning percentage over 23 years. Two elite 8s in the last 8 years. It's not Duke or Kentucky, but it's not Penn State either. Penn State hasn't had a coach with a better than .600 winning percentage since Elmer Gross from 1949-54.
I think they were in the post season more than us since Brey started there. Not the success obviously but no drag on a conference either.

Reaction Score
PSU shouldn't even count in this discussion since it has an incredibly bad cultural problem.

5% of the student body is black up from 3%. The avg. for all Pennsylvania universities is 11% just under the state population.

It's tough to recruit to a place that is 3 1/2 hours from the nearest big city, and the student body doesn't look anything like where a majority of the players come from.

I don't know UConn's #s, but I know they make it seem more diverse by including the bramch campuses so they look better.

Reaction Score

Penn State football went 11-2 last year. Their only losses were @ #5 Michigan and to #2 Ohio State at home. They won the Rose Bowl beating #8 Utah.

And this is your example of a school that has trouble recruiting?

Reaction Score

60% female must be a complete deal breaker to the men's teams recruits.

Reaction Score
Please shut this down, Can we get one put up as we get new info and rumors ?

Not being a pest but when I come home from work I'd prefer to read info and rumors and not opinions or conversation

I know this will upset those with opinions but I'm sure many others feel the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom