• Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
MSG has a capacity. It was already full for BET when UConn rejoined.
Are you sure about that?

I remember (prior to the C-7 walking away and then buying back the name) BET tickets being near impossible to get a hold of. Every tournament under the new configuration prior to our return had seats available through the box office days before the tournament began. We rejoined and once again it was through the schools or scalpers.

Reaction Score
Are you sure about that?

I remember (prior to the C-7 walking away and then buying back the name) BET tickets being near impossible to get a hold of. Every tournament under the new configuration prior to our return had seats available through the box office days before the tournament began. We rejoined and once again it was through the schools or scalpers.
Pre-Covid, pre-UConn rejoining:

NEW YORK – March 16, 2019 – For the 37th consecutive season, the BIG EAST Conference and Madison Square Garden proved to be a marquee pairing.

The 2019 BIG EAST Men’s Basketball Tournament concluded on Saturday night with a 74-72 Villanova victory over Seton Hall, in front of a record sellout crowd of 19,812 – making it the fourth session of the week to post a full sellout.

The four sellouts in five sessions during the championship week are a first for the BIG EAST Conference.

The 2019 BIG EAST Conference Men’s Basketball Tournament – presented by Jeep – brought in nearly 100,000 fans over the tournament’s four-day run in New York City, with a total of 98,782. The tournament averaged 19,756 per session over the course of the week, and filled Madison Square Garden to 99.7 percent capacity. For the first time since 2013, the tournament’s opening session was sold out.

Last year, the BIG EAST Tournament sold out three of the five sessions during the week, and averaged 18,790 fans per session. That number was the highest among all collegiate conferences.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm happy to be back in the Big East. But nobody can make any argument that the NBE is more popular than the OBE. Not remotely close

Strips for the O-BET used to run 4 figures. The best seats for the QF, SF and Finals ran significantly more than they do today.

This year I bought courtside seats for the semis, something like $ 400 per. Those seats used to be triple the price over a decade ago.

Cuse, Louisville, Pitt fans packed the building. WVU & BC fans not the same, but still more than Butler & Depaul. Creighton & Marquette are decent draws

The NBE has been hurt by the demise of St John's and Georgetown

Reaction Score
Are you sure about that?

Oh boy. This is false

I followed 2014-2019 Big East Tournament and initially the conference struggled to sell out the sessions. But by 2019 the conference was solidly selling out really well. I think the 2016 and 2018 Villanova championships fully semented the Big East as elite. The BET became a hot ticket again before UConn rejoined.

2019 was a full sell-out and 2020 was also going to be a full blown sellout.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm happy to be back in the Big East. But nobody can make any argument that the NBE is more popular than the OBE. Not remotely close

Strips for the O-BET used to run 4 figures. The best seats for the QF, SF and Finals ran significantly more than they do today.

This year I bought courtside seats for the semis, something like $ 400 per. Those seats used to be triple the price over a decade ago.

Cuse, Louisville, Pitt fans packed the building. WVU & BC fans not the same, but still more than Butler & Depaul. Creighton & Marquette are decent draws

The NBE has been hurt by the demise of St John's and Georgetown

Different times, different memberships, different context.

The current iteration of the Big East is just fine and doesn't need to be "more popular" than its previous iterations to be successful and produce national champions.

I really don't understand why the UConn fan base here has to be such s regarding the B.E all the time.

The league is what it is. Its was a great product prior to UConn's return, its a great product now while UConn is a member, and it will continue to be a great product if/when UConn leaves.

I would hate for UConn to leave. It wouldn't feel the same as a fan to follow UConn in the Big-12... or Big 10...

From a fan standpoint I would probably prefer the current ACC members.

But ideally I just want UConn to stay in place in our home, the Big East.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
^^^^^

Whoa, I'm not complaining or comparing the two

I'm the guy who has said B10 or bust. I'm a hoops guy, and I love the Big East. I don't believe our hoops will be hurt if we don't move.

I was responding to the Nova guy above me that seemed to be saying BET attendance is better now than it was. That just can't be true

Reaction Score
???

The B12 signed a new deal without Texas and Oklahoma. The schools are making more money WITHOUT Texas and Oklahoma.

They would have made even more had Texas and Oklahoma stayed.

This is my entire point: the ACC will be worth MORE than it is now, even if 3 or 4 of Virginia, UNC, Clemson or FSU leave.
The Big 12 is an entirely different conference with UT and OU. Comparing conference contracts of a different vintage is silly.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is an entirely different conference with UT and OU. Comparing conference contracts of a different vintage is silly.
I'm not sure why this is so difficult.

the B12 has already signed a new TV contract that DOES NOT include Texas and Oklahoma. We're comparing the NEW B12 contract (which doesn't include them) to the ACCs contract.

Reaction Score
Disney has financial problems, but ESPN is an ATM that dominates its space and is making smart decisions about increasing its digital properties in lieu of cord cutting. ESPN will be just fine.
This is different than what Bob Iger said on the earnings call but I am confident that you probably know more than him.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
It does. That's a major reason why when UConn plays there the prices go through the roof, whereas when other big east teams play there they're pretty reasonable.
Don't use facts when making a reasonable comment with any Big East member who can only see what they want too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why this is so difficult.

the B12 has already signed a new TV contract that DOES NOT include Texas and Oklahoma. We're comparing the NEW B12 contract (which doesn't include them) to the ACCs contract.
They are substantially similar. Big 12 is 31.7M each school. ACC is $30m. My understanding is the ACC deal escalates the payment every year.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
They are substantially similar. Big 12 is 31.7M each school. ACC is $30m. My understanding is the ACC deal escalates the payment every year.
Now take out UNC, Clemson, FSU, Virginia, etc. and replace them with ??? and what's the new deal worth?

Reaction Score
Question:

Why is UConn worth a gazillion dollars in the Big 12, but not worth anything in the Big East? That is the argument here, right?
Because the NBE is a modest regional basketball conference. Basketball doesn’t generate the $ that football does. You want to say that is wrong? Fine but the people who pay the bills disagree and disagree strongly! UConn in the Big East gets $5.6 million roughly. ND reportedly makes around $11 million from the ACC. But it’s Notre Dame. Most reports I’ve read say basketball is worth 20% of league’s media deal. Which sort of lines up with the NBE’a $5.6 ish deal and power leagues getting deals in the $30 millions. The Zags deal with the B12 is something on those lines. Maybe a bit more.

Bottom line is UConn basketball, great as it may be, is worth what the market says it is worth. And the NBE as a basketball only entity, is only going to generate 6-8 million/team. We’re there such a thing as an Independent in basketball, UConn might be worth more than it is in the NBE.

Reaction Score
Because the NBE is a modest regional basketball conference. Basketball doesn’t generate the $ that football does. You want to say that is wrong? Fine but the people who pay the bills disagree and disagree strongly! UConn in the Big East gets $5.6 million roughly. ND reportedly makes around $11 million from the ACC. But it’s Notre Dame. Most reports I’ve read say basketball is worth 20% of league’s media deal. Which sort of lines up with the NBE’a $5.6 ish deal and power leagues getting deals in the $30 millions. The Zags deal with the B12 is something on those lines. Maybe a bit more.

Bottom line is UConn basketball, great as it may be, is worth what the market says it is worth. And the NBE as a basketball only entity, is only going to generate 6-8 million/team. We’re there such a thing as an Independent in basketball, UConn might be worth more than it is in the NBE.
And don't forget another reason why UConn Football would be valuable to the Big 12 and any other conference which includes football

"In the 2023 class, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Penn State, Notre Dame and Michigan each signed at least one player from New England, and a fair amount of talent is coming from out of the region to attend high-level academic boarding schools, and in the process raising the football profile of many of them."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Now take out UNC, Clemson, FSU, Virginia, etc. and replace them with ??? and what's the new deal worth?
Isn’t going to happen.

Reaction Score
Didn't they also speak to Gonzaga ? It'll be a home run if they added Uconn , Gonzaga, St. John's , Villanova, Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Creighton. Don't think Uconn is a NY team, it's not. You fill up MSG a couple times a year , other than that Uconn gets no press coverage in NY at all. It's the same with Syracuse.They add St. John's, the other Big East City markets and then you have a lot more News Coverage. St. John's fans would watch Uconn football on TV. Uconn will end up like Syracuse,Pitt, Boston College, Rutgers if they go away by themselves.
Fairfield County is generally considered part of the New York metropolitan area. SNY covers women’s basketball and is successful with it. We’ve had articles in the Post and Times and have discussed on NY sports talk radio. We do move the needle in NYC. Pitt and BC are not NYC teams. We can add viewers in the NYC market.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Who do I feel that some are portraying UConn (and fans) as standing around like a beggar on the street waiting for some kind soul to drop an offer into our outstretched cap. UConn, excellent in the classroom and athletic fields, is a treasure that will elevate any school she chooses as an associate and deserves to be treated as such.

Reaction Score
This is different than what Bob Iger said on the earnings call but I am confident that you probably know more than him.
I read the transcript and it certainly didn't seem like Iger's hair is on fire regarding ESPN. Certainly, any media company takes a hit advertising-wise during a slow down/mini-recession but they know how to navigate those sorts of waters.

How did you interpret it?

Reaction Score
Who do I feel that some are portraying UConn (and fans) as standing around like a beggar on the street waiting for some kind soul to drop an offer into our outstretched cap. UConn, excellent in the classroom and athletic fields, is a treasure that will elevate any school she chooses as an associate and deserves to be treated as such.
We are ….. UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
We have no choice but to accept a Big 12 invite if they want us.

You can’t turn down that kind of money even though sentimentally we like the Big East conference.
I’m in only if 2-3 more eastern teams the likes of Syracuse, Pittsburgh, BC, Louisville & other ACC teams from a dismantled ACC for an eastern contingent to go along with UWV ‘ Cincy.

Reaction Score
Because the NBE is a modest regional basketball conference. Basketball doesn’t generate the $ that football does. You want to say that is wrong? Fine but the people who pay the bills disagree and disagree strongly!
Funny enough, basketball actually generates more money than football. The CFP and bowls generates $670M, while March Madness is over $1B. However, 100% of the CFP revenue goes to the conferences, while ONLY 15% of the NCAAT revenue gets distributed back to conferences. The other 85% is used to subsidize non-revenue D1, D2, and D3 sports.

If the distribution onus was flipped to football, the old Big East would still be alive. Each tournament credit would be worth $10M-12M instead of the $2M it’s worth right now, meaning that our tournament run this year would have generated $60M-72M in credits rather than $12M.

How long will it be until the power conferences make their own basketball tournament? 15% of $1B is only $150M. Could a P5-only tournament generate more than $150M in TV revenue each year? Because that’s all it will take for those greedy SOB’s to start a movement to split.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom