• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The recency bias of ThE BiG12 iS tHe BeSt BaSkEtBalL cOnFeReNcE going on ITT is really something
Is it really recency bias though? They've been the #1 conference on KenPom 8 of the last 10 years. They were #2 the 2 years they weren't at the top, which was the cancelled NCAA tournament year when they had 2 of the top 3 teams, and the year Baylor steamrolled Gonzaga and won a national championship

Reaction Score
Prevents divisions? Half the countries conferences are divided into divisions.
Conferences are starting to realize divisions have negative consequences within the CFP system.

Reaction Score
The BIG 10 does.
With the 2014 conference expansion, the divisions were realigned and renamed East and West. The East features Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, and Rutgers, while the West comprises Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, and Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
They ACC remnants would try to build a better football league because the one you are proposing would not be good enough for an auto-bid and would be relegated to G-5 status.

They would either try to steal WVU, Cincy and UCF from the B12 and add UCONN or they would join the B12.

If WVU, Cincy, and UCF were willing to move I could see them then trying to go hybrid to shore up basketball by inviting Nova, StJohns, Gtown but I don't think they would want to swallow the entire Big East.
I don’t think WV, Cincy, or UCF would prefer to change, and I don’t think the B12 would want all of these ACC leftovers

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Why can’t UConn go to the ACC?

Well, it appears they're moving into survival mode themselves

Only two conferences stand as the king of the hill, SEC & B10. Everyone else is in the state of fluctuation. Except for maybe the Big East

Reaction Score
I don’t think WV, Cincy, or UCF would prefer to change, and I don’t think the B12 would want all of these ACC leftovers

Bottom line is if the ACC dissolved all of those schools are going to try to maintain their "Power" status by being in an auto-bid league so your football league proposal will be a non-starter. A majority of those schools will certainly be enticing for the B12, which really highlights why UCONN cannot reject a B12 offer, it may be our last chance to ever secure a seat at the big money football table.

Reaction Score
Is it really recency bias though? They've been the #1 conference on KenPom 8 of the last 10 years. They were #2 the 2 years they weren't at the top, which was the cancelled NCAA tournament year when they had 2 of the top 3 teams, and the year Baylor steamrolled Gonzaga and won a national championship
Appreciate the KenPom, I wasn’t aware and appreciate that. Maybe I was off on that. It’s just felt like the ACC and SEC at least have been better overall, with different conferences taking turns being the best, but maybe not.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
That’s wild and I really appreciate the graphics.

Wow on Cincinnati research and KU being as bad a school overall that it is.
Kansas isn’t that surprising when you think about the fact that it is the state university of…Kansas.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, it appears they're moving into survival mode themselves

Only two conferences stand as the king of the hill, SEC & B10. Everyone else is in the state of fluctuation. Except for maybe the Big East

There is a meaningful probability that football eventually breaks off and has its entire own set of rules and conferences.

Yet most of this board is proposing that UConn move ALL sports to a flyover league that is about to lose its two highest profile programs because that league happens to have a big contract, for now. What happens if football breaks off and sets up its own conferences and eligibility rules? UConn is in a league with Iowa State and Texas Tech for women's basketball and field hockey, etc.

There will never be a P2 for basketball, especially if one of those two is the SEC. It will simply never happen. So everyone using that as a bogeyman to justify joining the Big 12 is either disingenuous or stupid, or both.

I would be fine with joining the ACC and Big 10 for all sports, but the Big 12 seems crazy. Just wait a few years. The conference landscape is going to change, and I think the chances of football breaking off is much higher than the Big 12 surviving as part of a "P3" with the Big 10 and SEC. Yet most of this board would bet UConn's entire athletic future on being in a league with Iowa State and Texas Tech. These are the same "football drives the bus" people that thought being in a league with Tulane and Tulsa was the way to go.

Whoever said that the Big East will NEVER let us back if we leave was 100% right. If we are going to leave, it better be for a higher potential option than the mud hut that the Big 12 Commissioner is putting together. That is going to fail, and when it does, it will be the end of UConn athletics if UConn has joined it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Honestly, if the ACC was smart, they would just vote to let all their football programs leave and reform a new conference. This would get them out of the ESPN clusterfudge and still maintain their conference for all other sports.

Reaction Score
If the ACC 7 split, pick up the remnants and add Temple.

4 hoops pods, play within pod twice and other pods once for a 18 game conference schedule.

• UConn, Providence, Boston College, Seton Hall, Temple
  • Villanova, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Syracuse, St. John's
  • DePaul, Marquette, Butler, Creighton, Xavier
  • Duke, Georgia Tech, Wake, Louisville, Pitt

Football:
  • Boston College, Duke, Georgia Tech, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, Wake, UConn, Villanova, Temple
You lost me at BCU. If we are talking about the Big East inviting remnants, BCU will rot in the NE-10 before I vote to let them in.

Reaction Score
Kansas isn’t that surprising when you think about the fact that it is the state university of…Kansas.
But they’re AAU and do have a lengthy history, so I guess that leads to giving the benefit of a doubt. I never thought they were some public Ivy but not in the 100s

Reaction Score
There is a meaningful probability that football eventually breaks off and has its entire own set of rules and conferences.

Yet most of this board is proposing that UConn move ALL sports to a flyover league that is about to lose its two highest profile programs because that league happens to have a big contract, for now.

but why not cash $30 million checks every year until then?

Being in the big12 will also give UConn a better chance of being included in the conference that gets cobbled together among the schools from the big12 and acc that don’t get invited to the breakaway football division, which will be most of them.

Reaction Score
every major conference wants the nyc market

1684615895835.gif

Attachments

• 1684615790037.jpeg
    1684615790037.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 58
Reaction Score
But they’re AAU and do have a lengthy history, so I guess that leads to giving the benefit of a doubt. I never thought they were some public Ivy but not in the 100s
Though Kansas was a founding member of the AAU, its current status is a bit tenuous. A lot of non-AAU schools have far better metrics. Does the AAU make an allowance for Kansas for old time's sake, or does Kansas quietly go the way of Syracuse and Nebraska? UAB, NC State, Cincy, VT, and several others are knocking on the door.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom