Poll: Part of the Game or Cheap Shot - Louisville vs BYU | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Poll: Part of the Game or Cheap Shot - Louisville vs BYU

Part of the Game or Cheap Shot

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
That is why their "greatest upset victory" (against Baylor in the tourney) was tainted and bull ! L'ville was allowed to get away with it two years ago against Baylor so why shouldn't they continue to do it. If no further sanctions are imposed on them, then any future "agressive play" exhibited by L'ville is on the NCAA. Part of their MO.
I'm not saying that game wasn't physical.... BUT, when you adopt a flopping mentality like Baylor has.... you put yourself at risk. Refs don't know what to do when bruisers play floppers.

Reaction Score
I think the BYU kid Eaton did, in fact, retaliate when she threw that elbow (which should have been a flagrant 1) but only after Louisville's Mariya Moore's absolutely vicious shoulder shiver, which should have been whistled as a flagrant 2 and ejection. I blame crappy, incompetent officials for letting that stuff get to that point. The same guy Joe Cunningham who "reffed" the UL-BYU melee did a game of ours in the Gulf Coast tourney (I think vs. GB) and he was downright clueless and unprofessional. Bad refs ruin games and can get kids hurt.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That wasn't a pick. She was guarding the player at the time. Just wasn't letting her cut across the lane. (and sending a message)
I know it wasn't a pick but a teammate should be giving a heads up whether a pick or not. These type of crossings happen all the time in the game. The play was illegal and it was called as it should have been. But that does solve the problem of players needing to be aware to protect themselves.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
The three refs involved are: Brenda Pantoja, Brian Garland, Joe Cunningham.
Pantoja is a west coast ref that does a pretty good job. She also does, or did, some NBA games over the past 6 years. I dont know of Brian Garland, who mainly does games in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana. Joe Cunningham works games from Virginia, to Georgia through Mississippi.

Cheap shot IMO. Any chance Walz showed the Cardinals the movie "Slapshot" the night before?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I know it wasn't a pick but a teammate should be giving a heads up whether a pick or not.
What? That makes no sense. At least to this situation????

The girl who was guarding her? The girl who was right in front of her? The girl who she was trying to get around? Her teammates should have warned her about THIS girl? How pray tell where they supposed to read her mind????

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think the BYU kid Eaton did, in fact, retaliate when she threw that elbow (which should have been a flagrant 1) but only after Louisville's Mariya Moore's absolutely vicious shoulder shiver, which should have been whistled as a flagrant 2 and ejection. I blame crappy, incompetent officials for letting that stuff get to that point. The same guy Joe Cunningham who "reffed" the UL-BYU melee did a game of ours in the Gulf Coast tourney (I think vs. GB) and he was downright clueless and unprofessional. Bad refs ruin games and can get kids hurt.
Why would Eaton's (if that's the girl, I don't remember the name), elbow be a Flagrant 1 and Moore's shoulder be a Flagrant 2?

Reaction Score
Why would Eaton's (if that's the girl, I don't remember the name), elbow be a Flagrant 1 and Moore's shoulder be a Flagrant 2?

What Moore did was tantamount to a battery- in terms of the manifest intent of the act and the harm done to Morrison (reported concussion). While Lexi Eaton's response to that prior bad behavior was assaultive and deplorable, it was a glancing blow and far less loathsome and damaging.

*The USA Today video of the "devastating cheap shot" is awful. Interesting to read Mariya Moore's published apology.
*I don't advocate litigating violent incidents between young athletes on the playing field, but prosecuting this act would be a slam dunk.

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I've seen some dirty play over the years from Syracuse and from Georgetown in some seasons. But that Louisville team with A younger Slaughter about 3-4 years ago was really dirty when they played us anyway. They also had a 5th yr senior who was really bad occasionally. There was one away game in Louisville we ended up winning by 9/10/11 points. It was an absolute war. Looked more like a rugby match.
The refs can keep any game close depending on how they feel like calling a given game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What Moore did was tantamount to a battery- in terms of the manifest intent of the act and the harm done to Morrison (reported concussion). While Lexi Eaton's response to that prior bad behavior was assaultive and deplorable, it was a glancing blow and far less loathsome and damaging.

*The USA Today video of the "devastating cheap shot" is awful. Interesting to read Mariya Moore's published apology.
*I don't advocate litigating violent incidents between young athletes on the playing field, but prosecuting this act would be a slam dunk.
The kid's a freshman in her first tounament and she did something stupid. Let's not get crazy. And she did apologize publicly - http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...kenzi-morrison-ncaa-tournament-game/25183113/

Brittany Griner lost her mind as a freshman and sucker punched another player. We now know her as a decent human being who let herself get out of contol for a moment and made a really bad decision. I think the parallel is there.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I'm willing to give Mariya the benefit of the doubt that she didn't target the jaw, and that's where I draw a distinction between a punch and even a well-placed forearm, that invariably target something.
Perhaps you can, but from what I have seen on multiple occasions ( it wasn't just an exclusive use of shoulders or forearms either ) there is no doubt left in my mind about intent.

Reaction Score
Perhaps you can, but from what I have seen on multiple occasions ( it wasn't just an exclusive use of shoulders or forearms either ) there is no doubt left in my mind about intent.
Since I haven't seen her play much, I'll defer to you...

Reaction Score
I'm stunned even one person thought her actions "were part of the game." Not to mention there seems quite a few more.

I'm further stunned that there are some that are unsure she meant to pop the other player in the head. .

I guess years ago Kermit Washington was just sending a message to Rudy Tomjanovich and the league not to mess with him - it's fine sending messages like Kermit did. Actually it was Rudy's fault because he should have known "the big right was coming." After all he has to expect that sort of thing. Further we don't know really that Kermit meant to hit Rudy. Rudy's head just got in the way of Kermit's fist.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="hoophuskee, post: 1271638, member: 3535]I guess years ago Kermit Washington was just sending a message to Rudy Tomjanovich and the league not to mess with him - it's fine sending messages like Kermit did. Actually it was Rudy's fault because he should have known "the big right was coming." After all he has to expect that sort of thing. Further we don't know really that Kermit meant to hit Rudy. Rudy's head just got in the way of Kermit's fist.[/QUOTE]

It was really Rudy' teammates' fault for not giving him a heads-up - what were they thinking???

Seriously, this was not a Kermit Washington haymaker. It was egregious, intentional and uncalled for, but not "deadly", and not a "punch." IMO it was penalized appropriately, and everyone is moving on appropriately.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
much as we blame her, it still returns to Walz. He is quoted in the article as saying they've "dealt with it." REALLY? Did they take her to dinner to celebrate? Say, "Mariya, you're getting bad press so why don't you apologize" as opposed to benching the kid for a game, or AT LEAST, a half?

Reaction Score
much as we blame her, it still returns to Walz. He is quoted in the article as saying they've "dealt with it." REALLY? Did they take her to dinner to celebrate? Say, "Mariya, you're getting bad press so why don't you apologize" as opposed to benching the kid for a game, or AT LEAST, a half?
You are correct! Every player should be held accountable for their actions, however we also need to remember that high school and college players are still young and formative. This is where the accountability of the coach's and those around them kicks in. Some players are naturally aggressive but that does not have to be a bad thing. Actually in athletics that is usually a real positive. The responsibility of coaches around them is to define acceptable boundaries that fall within the rules. I believe in this respect she has been let down by the people with that responsibility in her life. There was little accountability, in that respect. Rather they encouraged pushing the limit to what ever you can get away which seemed to have been the order of the day. This might also include those fans, officials and press in NorCal who closed their eyes to obvious red flags and instead reinforced negative behavior. Of course the term "Sport" which use to be synonymous with fair play, seems to have lost it's meaning and has instead been replaced with a win at any cost attitude via bending the rules till they break in order to gain every possible advantage

I suspect the problem Walz had with this incident was not with what she did, but only that it was too obvious which resulted in her getting caught. I am sure more time will be spent in honing that skill.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I halfway expect to hear a chorus of boos rain down from the stands when Ms Moore comes out during the pre-game introductions this coming Saturday in Albany.

@meyers7

Reaction Score
If she had run into a pick it'd be one thing, but that wasn't the situation. A teammate would have about as much chance of warning her about that shoulder as she would warning her of a grand piano falling from the ceiling -- no chance at all. It was a dirty play and a cheap shot and the player probably should have been ejected.

Reaction Score
I didn't watch the whole game I need to get it back on my dvr and watch the whole thing.

Reaction Score
Idunno...

can you spell

F-L-O-P?
I downloaded the video from YouTube and played it one frame at a time. It shows the Cards player putting a shoulder to the head. It was a knockdown, not a flop.

Reaction Score
Idunno...

can you spell

F-L-O-P?
If you think that was a flop you are pretty clueless! Louisville has a history of such action and some glaring examples in recent years involiving Baylor and Uconn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom