Please don't blame the refs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Please don't blame the refs

Reaction Score
Hell, the refs set the tone in the first two possessions, both foul calls on UConn for virtually nothing. That flagrant 1 nonsense on Yakwe was laughably stupid. I mean, honestly, you think Dan Hurley gets thrown out for the fun of it ?
The flagrant 1 on Yakwe was like the only call they got right. It's a point of emphasis this year and I've already seen it called several times this season.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
We came out totally sluggish, with low energy. Let's see how we do with our first adversity under Hurley. But don't blame the refs.....we're down by 16 to an inferior athletic team. They are playing a smarter, more disciplined game. Let's see how we react. It is NOT the refs fault we are getting bitch-slapped so far. It is our fault.

I'm not sure if there are unforced errors (turn overs), but most seemed to be a result of sloppy hands. I'd hope these types of errors are the easiest to fix.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if there are unforced errors (turn overs), but most seemed to be a result of sloppy hands. I'd hope these types of errors are the easiest to fix.

Maybe if the team had a few Big Red cheers they would have been more inspired...

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
We came out totally sluggish, with low energy. Let's see how we do with our first adversity under Hurley. But don't blame the refs.....we're down by 16 to an inferior athletic team. They are playing a smarter, more disciplined game. Let's see how we react. It is NOT the refs fault we are getting bitch-slapped so far. It is our fault.
Do you recall the Yakwe flagrant foul call?
Have you ever seen that called before?

Reaction Score
There is a decent chance Iowa won't even make the tournament. Oregon and UConn made them look way better than they are. They strike me as the type of team that is just more prepared than others to start the season.
Good Lord, I must have been watching the Braille version of last nights game.

Reaction Score
It was a foul, but from what I saw he turned and raised his left arm and it got caught under the other players arm. Not sure how it was flagrant.
Point of emphasis this year, if he had managed to pull the guy down harder would have been flagrant 2.

Reaction Score
There is a decent chance Iowa won't even make the tournament. Oregon and UConn made them look way better than they are. They strike me as the type of team that is just more prepared than others to start the season.

Ridiculous take. That is a very good team and certainly a tournament team. They play hard and smart and Cook is a stud. They average about 85 points per game without really looking to run.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I see some of us aren’t watching the same game

I think we were all watching the same game, as every post was correct. Iowa played better, we turned the ball over too much (with some assistance), our bigs were ineffective, we shot poorly, experience teams will hurt us (at least early on) AND THE REFS $UCKED

:)

Reaction Score
Not my point at all. Of course the refs can be criticized. But whining that they affected the outcome of this game is just ridiculous. We got rolled. Deal w it and accept it. Don't look for a scapegoat.
What's worse? Whining about the refs or whining about people whining about the refs. You are so sensitized, you started a post about the refs before anyone complained about them.

I don't know exactly what point margin they caused us but it wasn't zero. The refs were awful. To argue otherwise is just foolish. Maybe we still lose with better refs but at least it would have been a close and competitive game. And the optics aren't good either being that they were Big Ten refs. The organizers should have mixed and matched refs from the SEC, Big 12 and Big East.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Blame it on the turnovers.

Many of which were caused by Iowa being given free rein to poke at the hands and arms of our guys on the interior without being called. Would have been OK had we been afforded the same luxury.

Reaction Score
Do you recall the Yakwe flagrant foul call?
Have you ever seen that called before?

I saw it in the Purdue game this week, but when it was called it was absolutely no question a hook and hold. Much different than this one.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The flagrant 1 on Yakwe was like the only call they got right. It's a point of emphasis this year and I've already seen it called several times this season.

This reminds me of when Dejuan Blair almost tore off Thabeets arm in a 08-09 matchup.

Reaction Score
Exactly!

As I said Carey did it plenty on Thursday too but who's to complain when we win. Yet he did it numerous times only to get away with it numerous times. To be honest refs blow for the most part anyway no feel for the game I'm afraid.

Reaction Score
I missed the game while driving up to Vermont for the weekend. Sounds like it's a good thing I missed it; my blood was boiling during the Syracuse game and this sounds like it was even worse.

Reaction Score
It was a foul, but from what I saw he turned and raised his left arm and it got caught under the other players arm. Not sure how it was flagrant.
They cannot leave this rule the way it is, and that Yakwe play is the reason why. 2 guys are jockeying for space to get a rebound, Yakwe's hand is facing upward as he uses the elbow to try to keep his man to the side. To me, having played basketball under the hoop for years, this is a completely normal way to have your arm. Once the defender drops his arm over your elbow, suddenly there's a problem. I agree that this is a dangerous situation, for reasons like Dejuan Blair flipping Thabeet over his head, but can't they wait to call a flagrant when someone actually does something dangerous?

Yakwe had his hand facing upward, the other guy put his arm down over it, and boom flagrant foul 2 shots and the ball? Why teach your kids how to play basketball, just teach them to recognize when a post player has his hand facing upward and draw the flagrants!!!! FUN!!

Reaction Score
Sorry, but posts blaming the refs, right or wrong, make this site look like a bunch of whinny little bitches.
No one is blaming the refs for anything but sucking. Are you saying that you think they were good or even ok?

The only whining I see is from people complaining about the people who are being critical of the refs. The refs were awful and deserve to be criticized. The criticisms have been well presented. It isn't like anyone is acting like a former coach of ours.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I missed the game while driving up to Vermont for the weekend. Sounds like it's a good thing I missed it; my blood was boiling during the Syracuse game and this sounds like it was even worse.
Casual fan. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom