Please don't blame the refs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Please don't blame the refs

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I didn’t even finish watching, did Hurley get tossed?

Reaction Score
Bad calls matter when there are so many of them. Pretending otherwise is just stupid. That said we didn't react well to the early bad breaks, our shooting was poor and Iowa was very good. But even in the late stages the refs snuffed out any momentum we had. Vital had an elbow thrown to his chest and got called for #5. Cobb's block was clean and he got called. Polley got snuffed and no call.

A good team took advantage but I liked our fight. It's early and people expect miracles in mid November. Lol

Reaction Score
They set the tone for the first 10 minutes...sometimes that is all that is needed. No reason why Uconn should lose, especially this badly to such a painfully average team such as Iowa. They are absolutely nothing special, Uconn just responded terribly to the tone the refs set..

Iowa is totally the team that slugs their way, and does just enough to nab a 5, maybe 6 seed and goes down to an under rated 11 or 12 seed. If Iowa ends up in the 5/12 or 6/11 I am calling it right away for the 11 or 12.
Painfully average?? They beat #13 Oregon last night and crushed us tonight. An average team in Division I would be ranked 120-200 out of 350 teams - I peg Iowa right now as Top 50, even 40. They are solid.

Reaction Score
No one is arguing for the point you are arguing against.

But the purpose of these kinds of topics is usually to declare that the refs can't be criticized, so that's what the discussion is about now.
Not my point at all. Of course the refs can be criticized. But whining that they affected the outcome of this game is just ridiculous. We got rolled. Deal w it and accept it. Don't look for a scapegoat.

Reaction Score
They set the tone for the first 10 minutes...sometimes that is all that is needed. No reason why Uconn should lose, especially this badly to such a painfully average team such as Iowa. They are absolutely nothing special, Uconn just responded terribly to the tone the refs set..

Iowa is totally the team that slugs their way, and does just enough to nab a 5, maybe 6 seed and goes down to an under rated 11 or 12 seed. If Iowa ends up in the 5/12 or 6/11 I am calling it right away for the 11 or 12.
Ridiculous take. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Neato for you. Since we're currently NOT playing, does the same "losers lament" still apply ? I'm about 100% sure the actual PLAYERS are not blaming the refs - although the coach seems to think there's something to that line of thinking, apparently.

I mean, really - do you really have to post in the middle of the game, "don't blame the refs" ? Doesn't that kinda indicate just how bad the refs really were ?
I posted that because so many were blaming the refs. That is so ridiculous. We got outplayed from the jump for the entire game. Just deal with it. It happens. No reason to look for excuses. We got outplayed. Period. I'm no more happy about it than anyone else. But to suggest the refs impacted a game we lost by 20 is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
If the refs didn't suck why did ESPN with the Connecticut tax give aways not show more replays? The Iowa foul against Yakwe that was called a technical against UCONN was prime example of why this crew should not get paid for tonight's game.
LOL. So now it's ESPN's fault and there is a conspiracy??? Guys, we lost a game. No big deal. I'm sure we will learn from it and get better. I promise you, the refs, the Big 10 and ESPN were not in cahoots against UConn in this game. Let's be real.

Reaction Score
Holy . Literally nobody is saying this. I'd say "straw man" but I'm sure you wouldn't understand what that meant . ..
I guess you can't read. Because literally one person talked about the Big 10 and the refs having an unusually close relationship, and another referenced ESPN and the tax breaks the state of CT provides to them. But you are on a roll, don't worry about reading any responses. Just focus on shooting the messenger.

Reaction Score
We got outplayed and I don't think we deserved to win, but I think I saw that Iowa shot 22 more free throws than us and I think made 19 more? That's pathetic. We lost by 19. take half those free throws away and say they make 9 of 11 and it's a single digit game if you don't count that goofy a** dunk at the end. And imagine we got a few of the calls we should have. That OB ball off the ref was beyond infuriating and the kickball out of bounds off Iowa that went their way too. This game should have been closer and could have been a great game down the stretch, but the refs wouldn't allow it.

Reaction Score
Holy . Literally nobody is saying this. I'd say "straw man" but I'm sure you wouldn't understand what that meant . ..
Are you in politics?? If not, you might want to consider it. You have quite a knack for being oblivious while pushing your own agenda.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Couldn’t disagree more with thinking Iowa is inferior or not as talented. They are built for the Big 10 physical play and shot lights out in the 1st half like what UConn did to Cuse the previous night. If UConn could have played like they did the final 5 minutes from the start and hit some outside shots it may have been different. Onward A learning moment for Hurley and the team but theses idiots who masquerade as refs will learn nothing

Reaction Score
I guess you can't read. Because literally one person talked about the Big 10 and the refs having an unusually close relationship, and another referenced ESPN and the tax breaks the state of CT provides to them. But you are on a roll, don't worry about reading any responses. Just focus on shooting the messenger.

So why no replays messenger? Even Fraschilla who did not know how to pronounce Vitals name correctly said that the first 3 traveling calls against us were BS. Vitals 5th fouls was/should have been against Iowa.

Reaction Score
What drove me crazy was every time up the court that Bohanon kid would use his off arm to create separation. When is that not an offensive foul?

Reaction Score
For starters , Iowa is a good team. I actually think the opposite of an earlier poster. They ll get in as a five seed and maybe knock off a 1 seed in the 16 and make a run. In addition, no one here on the boneyard is saying we are making the refs our scapegoat. We still wudda lost by double digits , however , all u “don’t blame the refs” guys have to admit u haven’t seen so many bad blatant calls go against conn in recent memory. Like I said, we still played poorly and wudda lost by 10 or more but just admit the calls against Uconn were the worst you ve seen in a while.

Reaction Score
Wasn't this guy a ref tonight?
Screenshot_20181116-235536.png

Reaction Score
Iowa is very sound in all aspects. Good team
Yes they are, I wish we had a freshman 6'11" guy who can dominate the boards, finish, out hustle for loose balls, and be automatic from behind the arc.

Reaction Score
We came out totally sluggish, with low energy. Let's see how we do with our first adversity under Hurley. But don't blame the refs.....we're down by 16 to an inferior athletic team. They are playing a smarter, more disciplined game. Let's see how we react. It is NOT the refs fault we are getting bitch-slapped so far. It is our fault.

I love posters like you who think criticizing a ref is like committing a cardinal sin. God forbid you ever question what you are seeing before your own eyes.

I think the refs sucked tonight and dicked us around for a good majority of the game. They are not the reason we lost but spare me this over protection of refs, selection committees, etc. As if everything with the NCAA is pure as gold.

A simple google search of the ref that gave Hurley his 2nd technical shows he has a slew of message board posts and twitter accounts dedicated to his ineptitude.

Also considering we have precious opportunities now for big non conference games why was it a Big 10 crew officiating this game? Can I expect a Pac 12 crew for the Arizona game?

Reaction Score

There is a decent chance Iowa won't even make the tournament. Oregon and UConn made them look way better than they are. They strike me as the type of team that is just more prepared than others to start the season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom