Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If all the favorites lose this weekend:

1) Arizona
2) Kan St
3-4) Wisconsin, GaTech, Mizzou, or Alabama

Reaction Score
He played 10 minutes in a win over a terrible michigan team. Big woo.

You want the 4 best teams in the playoff. There are now BIG concerns about how good ohio st will be going forward.

So if Winston went down with an injury, you would keep an undefeated team out of the playoff also?

Reaction Score
So if Winston went down with an injury, you would keep an undefeated team out of the playoff also?

Perhaps.
Like I said, there are questions about Ohio St now. They get to answer them on Saturday.

Injury evaluation/impact has long been used for the basketball tournament.

Reaction Score
Perhaps.
Like I said, there are questions about Ohio St now. They get to answer them on Saturday.

Injury evaluation/impact has long been used for the basketball tournament.

Agreed, but that's usually seeding, not inclusion. If this were an 8/16 team deal, I'd feel good about seeding changes based on this. OTOH, if you liked OSU to be in, hard to leave them out if they beat Wisconsin IMO.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If Ohio State wins, they have the best resume. That's what counts. Number of quality wins. No bs about style points, close or quality losses. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. If you need to go deeper than that to break a tie, then fine but if one team beats 3-4 ranked opponents with only one loss, that counts for more than anything else.

If the QB was injured on the first play of the semi final, they would still play it out.

I want as little projection from the committee as possible, think the opposite of the ESPN talking heads.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11964184/big-12-present-tcu-baylor-co-champions

This may be the first real sign that the B12 is starting to realize they need a championship game.

If I'm Baylor I would be furious with this. Baylor beat TCU but the committee has TCU ranked ahead of Baylor. Because the conference desperately wants to have a representative in the playoff they decide that they will be co-champs instead of rewarding the team that won the game. I have never heard of a league where 2 teams finished with the same record but one team beat the other & they call them co-champs. The B12 has spent the whole season hyping their "One True Champion" motto but I guess now they will have Two True Champions

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You still have the fundamental philosophical question to answer: Is the committee chartered to select the four teams that they think are the best, or the four that have done the most to earn their way in? Should be the latter IMO.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11964184/big-12-present-tcu-baylor-co-champions

This may be the first real sign that the B12 is starting to realize they need a championship game.

If I'm Baylor I would be furious with this. Baylor beat TCU but the committee has TCU ranked ahead of Baylor. Because the conference desperately wants to have a representative in the playoff they decide that they will be co-champs instead of rewarding the team that won the game. I have never heard of a league where 2 teams finished with the same record but one team beat the other & they call them co-champs. The B12 has spent the whole season hyping their "One True Champion" motto but I guess now they will have Two True Champions
and it's an example of voting for a subjective best rather than the team that earned it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Ummmmm The Big East did that for years. UConn in 2007 was a co-champion with WVU...

Reaction Score
If Ohio State wins, they have the best resume. That's what counts. Number of quality wins. No bs about style points, close or quality losses. A win is a win and a loss is a loss. If you need to go deeper than that to break a tie, then fine but if one team beats 3-4 ranked opponents with only one loss, that counts for more than anything else.

What exactly gives Ohio State the best resume? If tOSU, TCU and Baylor all win Saturday all thre would only have 2 wins against teams in this week's AP poll:

tOSU: Michigan State(7), Wisconsin (11)
TCU: KSU (9), Oklahoma (18)
Baylor, KSU and Oklahoma

Obviously tOSU and TCU both beat Minnesota currently 27 in the AP. Plus tOSU lost at home to a 6-6 Va Tech team. Don't see how this gives them a better resume.

Reaction Score
I am personally rooting for chaos this weekend (don't think it will happen, but can hope for it anyways)... GT over FSU, Mizzou over Bama, Zona over Oregon, and Wisci over OSU with Baylor and TCU both winning and locking themselves in the final 4. It then opens the doors for Arizona (who will have beaten Oregon 2X's), Mich St (whose 2 losses are to Oregon and tOSU), Wisci, GT, and Miss St all to be included in the argument with Bama, FSU, Oregon, and OSU for the last 2 spots. Bedlam!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
the p5 is playing musical chairs for four spots; someone's getting left out. should drive a push for 8 teams which might create a marginally wider opportunity for a g5 team to get in (not that they'd have one this year though). SAMCRO's scenario would have a lot of people whining about the b12 not having to survive a championship game.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
King Strawman.

In fairness, this is supposed to be the upgrade of the committee over the mindless AP/USA polls and the BCS computers (which unfairly give teams credit solely for which conference they played). If it is a competition, then the results absolutely should matter. You can dissect which win is better or which loss is worse, but I hate the idea that opinions on who would beat who or who would perform better in the playoff enters into the equation at all.

TCU and Baylor deserve consideration and if both win out, I take Baylor's head to head over TCU's win against Minny, a third/fourth place team in the B1G.
I have a bigger problem picking Zona over any one loss champion. Yes, they would have beaten Oregon twice, but that just means they are better than Oregon, a now second place P12 team.

You could convince me to take them over a 2 loss, Bama as they wouldn't be a conference champ and I'm looking for the best team at the end and to me a non-conf champ has proven to not be the best team over 13 games. A very strong case.

These are the questions I want the committee answering, not saying this conference is better so... or this team looks better to the eye so...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
the p5 is playing musical chairs for four spots; someone's getting left out. should drive a push for 8 teams which might create a marginally wider opportunity for a g5 team to get in (not that they'd have one this year though). SAMCRO's scenario would have a lot of people whining about the b12 not having to survive a championship game.

If they go to 8 teams, I bet the G5 autobid is dumped in favor of top three ranked non P5-champs.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If they go to 8 teams, I bet the G5 autobid is dumped in favor of top three ranked non P5-champs.
Tough to argue against, esp. based on this year. Rather than autobid I'd like to see g5 eligible for the committee to place. It would be good to have some shot at winning in the sport you are playing.

Reaction Score
I think the winner of Oregon/Arizona is going to the playoff. The Pac 12 is too good this year to lock out a 2 loss Arizona team.

Not sure what happens if Missouri wins, but I am confident the officials will take care of that game if Alabama stumbles.

Mississippi State is out of the picture.

Florida State has locked up a bid in my opinion.

TCU will beat out Baylor by a hair.

My 4 are Oregon, Alabama, tOSU, and FSU. If FSU loses then one of the Big 12.

Reaction Score
If Baylor and TCU both end up with one loss, Baylor will get the spot. They beat TCU. If there was ever a no brainer it's that. If the committee overlooks the head to head result it will crush the credibility of the committee.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Baylor and TCU both end up with one loss, Baylor will get the spot. They beat TCU. If there was ever a no brainer it's that. If the committee overlooks the head to head result it will crush the credibility of the committee.

If the committee only looks at the head to head result when it was a narrow win by the home team, it will crush the credibility of the committee. The committee was pretty clear that non-conference schedule matters. Baylor basically didn't play one.

Reaction Score
While we're debating subjective things like who has the better loss and SOS these two teams met on the field and one team finished the game with more points. You want to call it a close flukey win then fine take FSU out of the too 4.

Honestly this is crazy. Why play the games if the head to head results don't matter?

How is that subjective? Losing @ Baylor is better than losing @ West Virginia. That's not arguable. Playing Minnesota OOC is better than playing Buffalo.

The head to head results matter to the extent that it is one game of twelve we have to look at. But Baylor/TCU shouldn't assume a larger significance just because it's head-to-head, particularly when the game was played on Baylor's home field. The team with the better resume should get in. If Baylor beats Kansas State next weekend, that might be them. But as of now I have no problem with TCU being higher.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Ummmmm The Big East did that for years. UConn in 2007 was a co-champion with WVU...

Yes, but they also had a published tie-breaker for the BCS bid. The B12 has been harping on "one true champion" but now won't crown one, because it's not in it's best interest. Baylor has a legit case.

This playoff nonsense is forcing a move to 8 - no doubt about it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, but they also had a published tie-breaker for the BCS bid. The B12 has been harping on "one true champion" but now won't crown one, because it's not in it's best interest. Baylor has a legit case.

This playoff nonsense is forcing a move to 8 - no doubt about it.

Since being a conf champion isn't a requirement it's a bit of a dumb semantic decision that the Big 12 is making.

Baylor has a legit case but this doesn't seem to hurt them - what is killing them is FCS/SMU/Buffalo.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Regarding head to head, Dan Wolken said something on twitter along the lines of "why can't people understand head to head is not going to be as much of a factor to the committee"? Well, it probably has something to do with Bowlsby brandishing the BXII's credentials as being the only league with round robin play where a champion is determined in part through... head to head matchups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom