Players You Were Wrong About | The Boneyard

Players You Were Wrong About

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For the NBA fans, who's better in the league than you expected when they were in school?

Two obvious ones for me: Kevin Love and Steph Curry. I didn't expect all that much from either one. I was sort of wrong.

Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
For the NBA fans, who's better in the league than you expected when they were in school?

Two obvious ones for me: Kevin Love and Steph Curry. I didn't expect all that much from either one. I was sort of wrong.

I nailed Curry. Thought he had tremendous point guard skills at Davidson but lacked guys to pass to. Thought he'd be a stud in the NBA.

I've tended to underrate tremendous athletes at point guard who were suspect shooters - Westbrook and Rondo first and foremost. MCW looks like another one.

For non guards, I never thought in a million years we'd be talking about Hibbert as an All-Star.

Reaction Score
Michael Carter-Williams is the first guy that comes to mind for me. I thought he'd be spending most of this season in the D-League. I also remember thinking the Cavs should take Derrick Williams ahead of Kyrie Irving with the #1 pick a couple years ago...I was way off on that one.

Reaction Score
Wrong on Anthony Davis, who looks to like he'll be an all nbaer for the next decade (although the drummond argument is still there, based on potential). was big on MCW from the jump, only solidified my opinion when phil jackson co-signed him in the tourney during his live tweets. Big athletic passing guards are a commodity.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I thought Hasheem might have averaged a career double-double. Dead wrong.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I hate to say, but I was far from certain that Kemba would turn out to be the producer he has become. Very happy I was wrong.

I think a lot of us were wrong on JL.

Reaction Score
One obvious one, Rajon Rondo for homer reasons and Russell Westbrook. He was good, 3rd team PAC-10 as a soph but never saw him like this.

This……….Thought the Cs should have taken Marcus Williams and Ainge was a dope!! Hmmmmmm……...

Reaction Score
Kevin Love and MCW immediately jump out. After the Final Four game against Memphis I thought Love would have major issues against NBA length and athleticism(Westbrook was the only UCLA player who seemed like he belonged on the floor with the Memphis players), he's obviously deaded that argument. I've already conceded on MCW, it seems like he can get double digit assists every time he steps on the floor.

Reaction Score
Kevin Love has completely changed from his UCLA days. I remember him being kinda chubby and goofy and me thinking "what is the fuss with this kid?"

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Love's reputation going back to high school was rebounding and outlet passing.

He learned early to perfect a craft that is sorely lacking and do it better than anyone. Then he learned to shoot the 3. He's basically turned in to Bill Laimbeer 2.0.

I'll go with Hibbert, Aldridge and Al Horford. Never thought any of those would see playing time in the NBA.

Outside of the NBA, I remember watching Jerry Rice fumble away a sure-fire TD against the Giants in a playoff game. I said that he'd be a nice receiver racking up good numbers but wouldn't ever amount to anything in the clutch and wouldn't ever be a winner. A bit off on that one.

Reaction Score
One obvious one, Rajon Rondo for homer reasons and Russell Westbrook. He was good, 3rd team PAC-10 as a soph but never saw him like this.
I was wrong about Rondo as well. I thought the C's were crazy to take Rondo. Boy was I wrong. I was right about the fact he couldn't shoot the J, but he makes up for that with a whole slew of other skills.

On the flip side, I thought Marcus Williams would be a solid PG. I wasn't necessarily thinking he'd be a starter, but didn't expect him to struggle to get minutes and stick for a while. I knew he was not very athletic (plays below the rim) but thought his ability to run a team and create shots for himself would make up for that. Apparently that wasn't the case. I'm assuming his inability to guard anyone could not be overcome.

I thought Hash would develop into at least a defensive force at the 5. I knew he left too early as far a development perspective (not saying he should have waited or not, there were teams what were willing to draft him and pay him a boat load of money), but he simply was not ready to go up against men. I don't know how he's doing this year. The book on him has not been completely written, so he still might turn into a solid bench player or better, but considering where he go drafted, I along with the team that picked him expected more.

I'm sure if I put more thought into this, looked at some yearly draft lists, a bunch of names would pop on either side of the needle, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Reaction Score
Like a few others here, I was totally wrong about Kevin Love. I can't remember being that wrong about an NBA player ever. In college I thought he was all hype. He is the best PF in basketball and I am an idiot.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Most of the Dukies. Never thought Reddick would almost a star (figured he'd peter out like Morrison). Plumlees are another one. Mason is averaging over 6 ppg and miles over 9 ppg. thought they were over rated. Hansbrough is another one. maybe it was my dislike for them that colored my opinion of whether or not they'd make good pros...

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Most of the Dukies. Never thought Reddick would almost a star (figured he'd peter out like Morrison). Plumlees are another one. Mason is averaging over 6 ppg and miles over 9 ppg. thought they were over rated. Hansbrough is another one. maybe it was my dislike for them that colored my opinion of whether or not they'd make good pros...
Maybe you're just racist...

Reaction Score
Guys who were better than I expected them to be: MCW, Rondo, Westbrook, Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, James Harden, Ty Lawson, Roy Hibbert, Lamarcus Aldridge,
Guys who weren't as good as I thought they would be: Beasley, Donyell Marshall, Derrick Williams, Terrence Williams, Adam Morrison (didn't think he would be a star, but thought he would at least be a serviceable bench player who'd make it through his rookie contract...)

I get a lot wrong...

Reaction Score
Longtime lurker here enjoying this thread. I a m curious how you would evaluate ok afore and Gordon's career so far! Merry Christmas!

Reaction Score
UConn: Hasheem, Sticks, Boone, Marcus Williams, Burrell I expected all of them to be NBA phenoms, didn't happen :(

Others: Adam Morrison, JR Bremer, Andre Barrett,

Big surprise: Rondo, James Harden, Vin Baker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member