Players that got away | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Players that got away

Reaction Score
Yea that one hurts, having one of the best basketball players of all time as an alumni would be great to have

look at him now - Emerson College HC in Boston:
in 2011, he became an assistant at Emerson College in Boston under his Boston College coach Jim O'Brien. Upon O'Brien's retirement in 2014, Curley was named interim head coach of the Lions. In 2019, he led Emerson to its first NEWMAC championship and its first NCAA tournament appearance

Reaction Score
My favorite near miss that worked out for the good guys was Kelvin Torbert. If Calhoun had landed him, Gordon would have gone elsewhere. The one that stung in retrospect was Ike Diogu. I feel like if he'd gone to UConn, Gordon, Emeka and co. would have won two 'ships.
We would not have gotten Emeka if we had Diogu

Reaction Score
Why? I've seen that on here a few times. Emeka was in the 2001 class. Diogu was in the 2002 class. So unless Emeka could foretell the future I don't know why Diogu would have dissuaded Emeka from committing to UConn. :)
Oops, I was thinking Jamaal Sampson who I believe went to Arizona. Why didn't we get Diogu? I believe we were the favorites.

Reaction Score
Few guys that I recall seeing on campus while I was a student

Greg Monroe
Tobias Harris
Durand Scott

Reaction Score
Phil Dixon via Canada ended up at Utah after being thrown out of Storrs while taking summer classes or working out with team prior to his freshman year. Maybe woman issues, hand crushed glass .

Reaction Score
You're thinking of Isaiah Fox.
UConn lost out on Fox (Arizona) and Sampson to Cal. I think Sampson was actually JC's first choice. I could be wrong, but I remember being very disappointed when Sampson chose Cal and I don't remember much about losing out on Fox.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It took Wayne Simone 18 months to sell Tim Welsh on him. Geezus f*^^ing christ...
I used to play AAU hoops in CT. I tried out for a Wayne Simone team once. He was very off-putting. I never followed up with his program.

Reaction Score
Kevin Durant. Texas is crooked. ;-)

Billy Curley. JC said this was his biggest loss in recruiting. He really wanted Curley. Even the other BE coaches involved thought he was UConn bound.
If I’m not mistaken KD was part of a class that may have included Wayne Ellington and the Lawson ad well.

Reaction Score
Curley was a big miss three ways.
He lost every game he played against UConn.
We missed out on a player that may have helped us win a NC or two.
Curley missed out on playing and developing under Calhoun.
Anthony Harris??
Diamond
Brandon Jennings even though we got kemba
Josh selby
Cory Joseph we got Bazz
Brandon knight We got bazz
Diarra
Camby( imagine him with Marshall And ray)
Rodney purvis the first time

C

Chief00

It’s part of recruiting, you just keep moving forward into your next plan. The population pool isn’t fixed as some assume, it keeps changing with guys reclassifying, changing their minds and transferring in the portal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom