Players that got away | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Players that got away

Reaction Score
Agree with everything. But you had a problem with @August_West hypothesizing that the team chemistry could have been broken. We’re all hypothetically discussing situations. Your hypothetical isn’t a fact just bc he was great at UMass... that’s HIS POINT. So I’m not sure why that’s confusing.

Like I said, I’d overall agree that Camby makes that team insane (and probably vacated and who knows the future after that stain) but a hypothetical can have multiple outcomes.
It's just a weird way to look at it, with that outlook we didn't really miss out on anyone if we're going to say team chemistry might have been ruined if we add national college players of the year to teams.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's a hypothetical, that's the entire point of the thread. Drummond being ranked #1 or #2 coming out of high school isn't relevant, this isn't a thread about high school rankings. He is a state player who didn't get away, Camby is a state player who did get away and was the college player of the year and led UMass to the final 4. It's a fun thread to think what could've happened had we not missed out on certain players.

Back then the best college players stayed a few years. If Camby was UConn's starting center instead of Travis Knight, I think UConn has an extra national title or 2 and could've possibly had one of the best college bball teams ever with Ray and Camby as juniors together. Ray and Camby as freshmen alongside Donyell as a junior would've also been silly.
Lol you say “ this isn’t a hypothetical “ and then make it a hypothetical.

Never change stupendousjuanita

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's just a weird way to look at it, with that outlook we didn't really miss out on anyone if we're going to say team chemistry might have been ruined if we add national college players of the year to teams.

Dude, come on. It was a pretty nuanced point in a hypothetical that you’re pretending is impossible.

Those teams were excellent teams. That is when it could actually affect things. Adding a big name, high level recruit to an already great team.

Doesn’t mean he’s 100% right but you’re acting like adding a talented player is 100% linear and always will work in a vacuum.

Plus, he was crooked and would have ruined our reputation and maybe our future on the recruiting trail, WHO KNOWS!

You don’t need to agree, you clearly don’t... but why are you acting like his hypothetical is preposterous but yours (winning 2 titles and being one of the greatest teams EVER) is how it would definitely be?

Reaction Score
Dude, come on. It was a pretty nuanced point in a hypothetical that you’re pretending is impossible.

Those teams were excellent teams. That is when it could actually affect things. Adding a big name, high level recruit to an already great team.

Doesn’t mean he’s 100% right but you’re acting like adding a talented player is 100% linear and always will work in a vacuum.

Plus, he was crooked and would have ruined our reputation and maybe our future on the recruiting trail, WHO KNOWS!

You don’t need to agree, you clearly don’t... but why are you acting like his hypothetical is preposterous but yours (winning 2 titles and being one of the greatest teams EVER) is how it would definitely be?
You don't have a thread or anything to talk about if you say the best players in the country in an era where they stuck around a few years would've ruined team chemistry. Camby might have hated Ray and never averaged a point, Tim Duncan might have hated Calhoun and never started. Odds are the best players in the country are going to make you a lot better.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
You don't have a thread or anything to talk about if you say the best players in the country in an era where they stuck around a few years would've ruined team chemistry. Camby might have hated Ray and never averaged a point, Tim Duncan might have hated Calhoun and never started. Odds are the best players in the country are going to make you a lot better.

No ... you don’t have a thread about hypotheticals if you completely discount hypothetical outcomes. If we KNEW the answer, then yes, Camby is probably the answer. No more talking, no more discussion!

I don’t care either way, I said up front that I’d take the best recruit every day, all day. But Drummond not making us better is a valid point, and you discounting each valid point discussed, on a thread about hypotheticals with no right answer, is what bothered me.

Reaction Score
No ... you don’t have a thread about hypotheticals if you completely discount hypothetical outcomes. If we KNEW the answer, then yes, Camby is probably the answer. No more talking, no more discussion!

I don’t care either way, I said up front that I’d take the best recruit every day, all day. But Drummond not making us better is a valid point, and you discounting each valid point discussed, on a thread about hypotheticals with no right answer, is what bothered me.
In a thread about the players who got away I'll always take the kid who grew up 30 minutes away from Storrs and became the best player in the country.

You can argue with yourself about it, I'm out.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
In a thread about the players who got away I'll always take the kid who grew up 30 minutes away from Storrs and became the best player in the country.

You can argue with yourself about it, I'm out.

Congrats, you agreed with me for the 50th time while still somehow arguing.

Reaction Score
I’m talking recruiting rankings.
Felipe Lopez was the "best player in the country" too, was worshipped like LaBron coming out of high school, but where does he figure in the history of St John's. My point is recruiting rankings don't mean anything in this argument. To compare Marcus Camby with Andre Drummond and how each would have helped UConn win extra national titles based on recruiting rankings is silly. Was Pearl Washington the best player in the country coming out of high school? Was he better than Iverson as his career unfolded? Did Syracuse or St John's win extra national titles when they had these guys?

Reaction Score
I’m too young, did we actually have a chance with KD?

Yes.
His final two were UConn and Texas. The rumor was he told Tom Moore that he would be choosing UConn. Phil Chardis of the JI even had an article saying sources told him he was committing to UConn. Shortly thereafter he committed to Texas. A week later Andrew Bynum decided to stay in the NBA draft. A bad month for the Huskies.

Last edited:

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Kasongo.

Wait, nevermind.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Rod Foster from St, Thomas Aquinas in New Britain would have been a tremendous get for us ,
True, but I don't think the idea of attending UConn ever crossed his mind. He made the right choice. During their big title run, I remember a seeing a photo of Rod in SI that took up a page and a half. That was never happening to a UConn player back then.

Reaction Score
Was UConn in the question for Pinone? I know him personally but his recruitment would be before I was born.
Yes. I remember reading an article on John where it said he “got a lot of lovely letters” from Connecticut fans back in 1979. It was a tough decision as he got a lot of pressure to stay in state. Back in the day I had the pleasure of watching him several times when he played for South Catholic.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Always thought the the Moe Harkless decommit was always painful cuz he was such an underrated stud find
Did not know we had a Harkless commitment. Always thought he was a player who understood and knew how to play the game.

Reaction Score
Did not know we had a Harkless commitment. Always thought he was a player who understood and knew how to play the game.

And then decommitted 6 months later.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Yes. I remember reading an article on John where it said he “got a lot of lovely letters” from Connecticut fans back in 1979. It was a tough decision as he got a lot of pressure to stay in state. Back in the day I had the pleasure of watching him several times when he played for South Catholic.
Can't say he made the wrong choice in Villanova. He had a heck of a career there. Bleacher Report or ESPN did an all-time starting five for all big east teams a few years back and he made the Villanova team. I believe he played a few games for the Atlanta Hawks as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can't say he made the wrong choice in Villanova. He had a heck of a career there. Bleacher Report or ESPN did an all-time starting five for all big east teams a few years back and he made the Villanova team. I believe he played a few games for the Atlanta Hawks as well.
At the time, none of these guys showed the remotest interest in coming to UConn. Not Pinone, Foster, Charles Smith... Corny was the anomaly.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom