Play-In Games Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Play-In Games Thread

Reaction Score
TCU is a tough draw for the devils. But they are a jekyll and hyde team.

Reaction Score
I know he is coaches brother and all that and I respect their relationship. Fine. But to people of a certain age he is still Bobby Hurley , a little rat faced heel playing for a little rat faced coach. He was not a likeable player at all, and that’s not because he was really, really great ( and he was all that) , but yeah , yuck. Out of respect for our coach I won’t say “ good”. That’s it.

If you lived through the laettner Hurley era you’d understand
The first in a loooong line of short, annoying, arrogant, overrated, white guards at Dook

Reaction Score
Laetner was always the villain on that team. I remember when he stepped on Timberlake. Hurley wasn't on that villain level.
I agree. I hate Duke but I can take Grant Hill and to a lesser extent Bobby Hurley. Laetner will always be hated by me. I still remember him stepping on Rod Sellers and of course his shot in 1990. My dislike of Bobby Hurley has all but disappeared.

Reaction Score
So brother coaches are gonna be in the same bracket. When’s the last time that happened?

Reaction Score
Only 11 pts combined from Lucas and Blackshear. Buzzkill for Nevada. They needed 35 min.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I know he is coaches brother and all that and I respect their relationship. Fine. But to people of a certain age he is still Bobby Hurley , a little rat faced heel playing for a little rat faced coach. He was not a likeable player at all, and that’s not because he was really, really great ( and he was all that) , but yeah , yuck. Out of respect for our coach I won’t say “ good”. That’s it.

I can't help thinking that seems needlessly harsh, and yet it's very much how I felt.

I'm not interested in learning that he's a great guy now if that were the case, though I'm going to guess that the article doesn't say that. I don't even want to read the article. One could say that he represents a memory with a long tail.

Reaction Score

Love it AW and agree wholeheartedly.

And by the way, he's not a great coach either he's had some spectacular talent with very little to show for it in his career at ASU.

Reaction Score
No, they don't.

Yes, FDU is very well coached and can be dangerous at times - but the reality is they will be lucky if they beat the spread (+22.5) against Purdue. They just beat #8 team in the SWAC, let's not buy into the hype from TV announcers during for the First Four.

This is a team that finished #2 in the lowest rated conference (NEC) and didn't even win the conference tourney. FDU has losses this year to Hartford, Sacred Heart, and CCSU.

Interesting. Excellent analysis - borderline prophetic …..

Reaction Score
Interesting. Excellent analysis - borderline prophetic …..

Correct. I thought a FDU win was impossible; in reality it was only inconceivable.

FDU lost 6 of its last 11 NEC games in the regular season. Central scored 77 points in our road win over the Knights; and scored 80 points in our loss in New Britain. Purdue scored 58 points last night; and I don't think those guards would have made the All-NEC team this year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Correct. I thought a FDU win was impossible; in reality it was only inconceivable.

FDU lost 6 of its last 11 NEC games in the regular season. Central scored 77 points in our road win over the Knights; and scored 80 points in our loss in New Britain. Purdue scored 58 points last night; and I don't think those guards would have made the All-NEC team this year.
I don't know much about FDU, but I've watched a few Purdue games and my takeaway is that Edey plays far too soft for a player with his obvious size advantage. Edey was a non-factor in the final 12 minutes of the FDU game, and didn't take shots that Sanogo certainly would have and Clingan likely would have. Edey also turned the ball over with some dumb fundamental mistakes. I don't know how Purdue didn't lose more games. UConn would have destroyed them.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about FDU, but I've watched a few Purdue games and my takeaway is that Edey plays far too soft for a player with his obvious size advantage. Edey was a non-factor in the final 12 minutes of the FDU game, and didn't take shots that Sanogo certainly would have and Clingan likely would have. Edey also turned the ball over with some dumb fundamental mistakes. I don't know how Purdue didn't lose more games. UConn would have destroyed them.

Agree, but I think FDU did a good job on Edey and he still played had a decent game. The fact is FDU doubled him front and back and left Purdue to take wide open 3s. - which they couldn't hit. He's definitely not a big like a Sanogo or Cligan, but he was harassed nonstop by 2 players at almost all times. He got zero help from his teammates. Even if someone did that to a UConn big, they could pass it out for easy buckets.

FDU won/Purdue lost because Painter made no adjustments whatsoever and the FDU guards were actually better than Purdue's guards. If Purdue had any outside, backcourt scoring threat this would have been a different game.

Reaction Score
Agree, but I think FDU did a good job on Edey and he still played had a decent game. The fact is FDU doubled him front and back and left Purdue to take wide open 3s. - which they couldn't hit. He's definitely not a big like a Sanogo or Cligan, but he was harassed nonstop by 2 players at almost all times. He got zero help from his teammates. Even if someone did that to a UConn big, they could pass it out for easy buckets.

FDU won/Purdue lost because Painter made no adjustments whatsoever and the FDU guards were actually better than Purdue's guards. If Purdue had any outside, backcourt scoring threat this would have been a different game.
Edey papered over a lot of this team's flaws, particularly the backcourt.

They still win this game 9 out of 10 times. But that's the joy of the tournament.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I get your point, but I'll add that I think an Edey with Sanogo's aggressiveness (or let's say Elton Brand or DuJuan Blair or certainly Laettner) should be capable of Chamberlain-level numbers. Also, in the games I've watched, Loyer's actually been pretty good. Without Loyer in final 10 minutes of last night, FDU might've won by 10 or more. Edey can put up big numbers and still be too passive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom