Phil nolan commits | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Phil nolan commits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Boy can JC recruit under the worst of circumstances. The guy can sell yellow snowcones to Eskimos.

Having a lot of PT available I believe sold him. On the news it reported he stated as much. Basically no competition for playing time or starting if he wants it.

At UConn right now 'Big is In', and we got one.

Reaction Score
Cliffy loves smoking weed, hence the name uncle spliffy. I was watching the TNT postgame the other night and Barkely commented on how fast Caron changed into his suit after suffering his broken hand, he said "Iwonder if he showered, he must of taken a Cliff Robinson shower." They all started laughing and said they love Uncle Cliffy. I thought it was funny but I had no idea what the hell Barkley was talking about. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I'm assuming but I think it means spray some cologne on to cover up the weed smell.

Reaction Score
on a side note, it seems that uconns best recruiting pitch of late seems to be their ability to have a kid commit without ever actually stepping foot on campus. first deandre, now nolan. can someone explain to me how that works???

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Okay I held off on posting this but did anyone else think about how raw he looks against HS kids in comparison to how Drummond looked? I'm glad to have him but it would be wise to have huge expectations for him.

Reaction Score
on a side note, it seems that uconns best recruiting pitch of late seems to be their ability to have a kid commit without ever actually stepping foot on campus. first deandre, now nolan. can someone explain to me how that works???

Daniels committed based on the wave of momentum that the National Championship brought. Nolan, I guess, just really bought into the pitch of almost guaranteed playing time from day one.

It just goes to show that academics, location, campus life, etc. are not the reasons why basketball players commit to schools. It's about playing time, the coaching staff, and the program's reputation more than anything else. It's a basketball decision. And when players decide to transfer, it's also almost always a basketball decision. And yet, these transfers are what make people think that certain schools have a problem with "academics."

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
not sure if you saw the minute and a half wolf played vs marquette. after that, i think its pretty easy to get excited about anyone 6' 10 who is not named wolf.

Remember everyone freaking out about Blaney playing TO And Wolf at the same time when our guys were in foul trouble in the first half of that game?

That was a realistic common lineup for next year until Phil Nolan's commit... WELCOME PHIL!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I checked out some of his twit pics, this is the college recruitment mail he was getting back in december. DAMN haha. So pumped we finally got a big man!

Lol at tennessee's mail still having Bruce Pearl on it

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I hear he got a B+ in Social Studies, a B- in Creative Writing, a C+ in Trigonometery.......

What are we, his guidance counsilor?

A B- in Creative Writing? That's it? Come on, that class is easy.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Remember everyone freaking out about Blaney playing TO And Wolf at the same time when our guys were in foul trouble in the first half of that game?

That was a realistic common lineup for next year until Phil Nolan's commit... WELCOME PHIL!

Let's wait and see. Wolf could give us good minutes, we haven't seen enough to know. If he can play more of a Voskuhl-type game, he could contribute. He should not try to be the next UConn shot-blocker to avoid foul trouble. I hope that he is getting stronger so he can get some rebounds, set good screens, and make good interior passes. He might have difficulty getting down the floor to defend, have to see.

However, putting a 200 pound 6'10" bean pole in the starting lineup before he sets foot on campus is very premature. He will probably get knocked out of bounds by guards boxing him out in the Big East. Maybe he will have some toughness and tenacity that will make-up for his lack of weight. He does seem to run well...that's about all I took from the videos (I'm much more skeptical about those edited videos after they made Andre and Deandre look all-world).

So, in conclusion, let's give Wolf a chance and welcome Phil Nolan to the family.

Reaction Score
I'll cross my fingers about Wolf, but after seeing him play, having another big guy to push him for time is HUGE.

H

huskymagic

Let's wait and see. Wolf could give us good minutes, we haven't seen enough to know. If he can play more of a Voskuhl-type game, he could contribute. He should not try to be the next UConn shot-blocker to avoid foul trouble. I hope that he is getting stronger so he can get some rebounds, set good screens, and make good interior passes. He might have difficulty getting down the floor to defend, have to see.

However, putting a 200 pound 6'10" bean pole in the starting lineup before he sets foot on campus is very premature. He will probably get knocked out of bounds by guards boxing him out in the Big East. Maybe he will have some toughness and tenacity that will make-up for his lack of weight. He does seem to run well...that's about all I took from the videos (I'm much more skeptical about those edited videos after they made Andre and Deandre look all-world).

So, in conclusion, let's give Wolf a chance and welcome Phil Nolan to the family.

I agree Dogbreath i think Wolf will be better than people here think. He has good basketball skills he justs needs to get in better shape and hopefully he has or is working hard at it.

P.S. Phil Nolan is already an upgrade to Wolf and Olander put together so this was a very good signing. He's 6'10 who can shoot and has great athleticism, and he has the confidence that he believes he's a great player and has been undervalued. I like it. However, he's a little slow in making his moves in the post, needs to work on that. He also has a good body that is capable of putting on muscle weight. Good signing for Calhoun now lets get another surprise with Devonta Pollard or Norvel Pelle signing. I want Calhoun to sign all the lefties lol.

Reaction Score
You haven't yet seen this kid play but you already have him in the starting lineup?

48 hours ago had you even heard of Nolan?

I do think he'll start, and it has less to do with me knowing his game and more to do with the fact that we have only three scholarship bigs on the roster. Also, Calhoun usually likes to start two big men. I haven't seen Nolan play but I'd be willing to bet he's just as good as Tyler Olander was his freshman year and he started some games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Let's wait and see. Wolf could give us good minutes, we haven't seen enough to know. If he can play more of a Voskuhl-type game, he could contribute.

... So, in conclusion, let's give Wolf a chance and welcome Phil Nolan to the family.

Could not agree more. Ever since Emeka we've pushed our big men to be the next Emeka..with mixed results. Give me a guy who boxes out, gets rebounds and starts the break with a decent pass and we'll do some damage next year.

(By the way, if that means that we'll actually play perimeter D instead of trying funnel guys to the next great shot blocker, so much the better.)

Reaction Score
I agree Dogbreath i think Wolf will be better than people here think. He has good basketball skills he justs needs to get in better shape and hopefully he has or is working hard at it.

P.S. Phil Nolan is already an upgrade to Wolf and Olander put together so this was a very good signing. He's 6'10 who can shoot and has great athleticism, and he has the confidence that he believes he's a great player and has been undervalued. I like it. However, he's a little slow in making his moves in the post, needs to work on that. He also has a good body that is capable of putting on muscle weight. Good signing for Calhoun now lets get another surprise with Devonta Pollard or Norvel Pelle signing. I want Calhoun to sign all the lefties lol.

You've been spending too much time with uncle cliffy if you think there is any chance we get pollard. Would you really want Pelle, a kid who couldnt qualify at SJU bc of academics?

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Spending time with Uncle Cliffy, what a great euphemism.

Reaction Score
not sure if you saw the minute and a half wolf played vs marquette. after that, i think its pretty easy to get excited about anyone 6' 10 who is not named wolf.
+

Not sure what you saw in those minutes but his offense looked better than 2 of the guys who left as he actually made a move and could shoot it.......so he's slow-footed on defense, so was the guy leaving for Mizzou!!!! He can get 5 rebounds by mistake in 25 minutes too.....Wolfs an improvement if he comes in shape!!

Reaction Score
+

Not sure what you saw in those minutes but his offense looked better than 2 of the guys who left as he actually made a move and could shoot it.......so he's slow-footed on defense, so was the guy leaving for Mizzou!!!! He can get 5 rebounds by mistake in 25 minutes too.....Wolfs an improvement if he comes in shape!!

hmmmm, it actually didnt. he missed a point blank layup and threw up a fadeaway airball from the baseline. i actually remember asking what the hell he was doing. it was that bad.

what next? should blaney be considered the next coach in waiting when calhoun retires?

Reaction Score
hmmmm, it actually didnt. he missed a point blank layup and threw up a fadeaway airball from the baseline. i actually remember asking what the hell he was doing. it was that bad.

what next? should blaney be considered the next coach in waiting when calhoun retires?

Actually not point blank but a nice reverse layup he still should have made but who can imagine any of our bigs missing layups besides Wolf?? Can you say Alex?? He also made 2 FT jumpers last year in his time early on and proved he can shoot it if your memory serves you correctly...............to hammer on a guy who played so little is ridiculous.....I will not annoint him heir to the center throne but give him a chance please............while everyone loves what Andre could have been and what Alex was a few games, I'm guessing having a 7 footer in there on occasion won't hurt and I doubt he'll get his shot blocked from 12 feet like others...........you seeing bad is just what it is.....I saw a guy who at least wasn't afraid to come in and make plays........

Reaction Score
I wonder if they are just going to go with a small lineup to start. Start C-TO, PF-DD, SF-NG, PG-SN and SG-RB. Nolan first big off the bench and Calhoun and EVANs off the bench to replace one of the 3 wing players. We will get killed on the boards but that is a pretty quick lineup with the right combination.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I wonder if they are just going to go with a small lineup to start. Start C-TO, PF-DD, SF-NG, PG-SN and SG-RB. Nolan first big off the bench and Calhoun and EVANs off the bench to replace one of the 3 wing players. We will get killed on the boards but that is a pretty quick lineup with the right combination.

It will be interesting to see who starts at the start of the year, especially whether JC gives Wolf a chance to play and show what he can do. If he doesn't get time early, then he's not going to get much of a chance later. If Nolan starts or is the first big off the bench, then again there will be get the message that Wolf is not going to be a factor.

As an aside, those who compare Nolan to Hilton seem to be forgetting that Hilton did very little his first 2 years, a little his 3rd year, and had a big jump his last year. If Hilton played a lot of minutes as a freshman, he would not have been a big contributor.

Reaction Score
+

Comeon man...I know you don't like AO's game but to suggest Wolf is an upgrade over Oriakhi is ridiculous. Do you think there might be a reason Wolf didn't play at all last season? If he was a capable big man he obviously would have played. Oriakhi didn't have a great year, but you have to realize he was the third best player on a national champion and an enforcer in the paint. Let's just not compare the two, please.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
At least Wolf played aggressively and attempted to score in the brief period he may have missed three shots but they all rolled off the rim and if he had scored you would be looking at that a lot different. This year, he will put those in and be a contributor.

Also, Hilton actually started several games as a frosh

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
At least Wolf played aggressively and attempted to score in the brief period he may have missed three shots but they all rolled off the rim and if he had scored you would be looking at that a lot different. This year, he will put those in and be a contributor.

Also, Hilton actually started several games as a frosh

Yes, Hilton did start some games as a freshman, but if I recall correctly, he didn't play many minutes and was not very effective. I certainly hope Nolan can contribute as a freshman, just not expecting miracles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom