PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer) | Page 34 | The Boneyard

PG Tremont Waters (UConn Offer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You talk like someone with no familiarity with the modern university environment.

The reality is that many minorities who fail to graduate, or take many years to graduate, from elite institutions would graduate just fine in four years from a less competitive institution. They are accepted with more lenient admission standards but then they take the same classes with the same grading standards as other students. Or, they self-segregate into majors with minimal academic standards, like African-American Studies, when they would have been better off majoring in engineering or some such useful major, which they might well have done if they had been accepted into a better fit.

There's no reason to think that people of color would have fewer opportunities to earn college degrees if admissions were designed to ensure that they were competitive in the classroom. Just as likely it would be the reverse - more would obtain degrees.
wow. just wow. I'm at the football game. And this post is worse than what I'm watching. Ps. I'm a year removed from college and currently in grad school.

Reaction Score
Separate point from what Wing explained.
We can accept minorities at a level where they can succeed without deciding minorities would be better off at "less competitive institutions". Whenever I have heard that it always surprises me that people would even say that out loud.

I am much more concerned that 50 percent of UConn's admissions now go to out of staters than by our achieving a minority enrollment that better reflects our population. I just visited U of MD and they have 25 percent out of state students
. This. Posts like pj's are the reason I tell people the north is just as racist as the south. It's just presented in a different manner. Instead of using the n word, they just say you're stupid, go to community college.

Reaction Score
You are way too impressed with yourself.
I said nothing about myself in that post. So what you're saying is you can't refute my argument and would rather talk about me? Cool story bro. G. F. Y.

Reaction Score
I said nothing about myself in that post. So what you're saying is you can't refute my argument and would rather talk about me? Cool story bro. G. F. Y.
You continue to dazzle.

pj

Reaction Score
. This. Posts like pj's are the reason I tell people the north is just as racist as the south. It's just presented in a different manner. Instead of using the n word, they just say you're stupid, go to community college.

Who said anything like that? No one. The question is how to bring the best opportunities to people. You're the only one engaging in insults.

Reaction Score
Can we try and steer this thread back to that guy whose name is in the title? That or maybe start a separate OT or cesspool thread to argue over who's the least racist?

Waters will visit KU, gtown, and Indiana this month. Seems like we can say next on him, especially if we get the good news were all hoping for this weekend.

He reminds me of nadir tharpe, being anice undersized guard from new England that ended up at KU. Granted waters is a much better shooter, and will hopefully have more success at the college level

Reaction Score
Can we try and steer this thread back to that guy whose name is in the title? That or maybe start a separate OT or cesspool thread to argue over who's the least racist?

Waters will visit KU, gtown, and Indiana this month. Seems like we can say next on him, especially if we get the good news were all hoping for this weekend.

He reminds me of nadir tharpe, being anice undersized guard from new England that ended up at KU. Granted waters is a much better shooter, and will hopefully have more success at the college level

thank you for getting this thread back on topic.

Reaction Score
Who said anything like that? No one. The question is how to bring the best opportunities to people. You're the only one engaging in insults.
As multiple posters have mentioned, you did.

And you posted about what majors people of color should or shouldn't select, there's a discussion to be had there, but it has nothing to do with opportunity

BECAUSE YOU CAN'T PICK A MAJOR UNTIL YOU GET INTO COLLEGE

Reaction Score
Also, according to Zags, the other schools still on his list are UCONN, duke, UK, and Yale. I'd be worried if he ends up at duke or UK he'll get recruited over and not last 4 years in either place...

would be really cool to see him end up at Yale and shutup all the people blabbering on in this thread about how concerned he really is with education

Reaction Score
I apologize, honestly. But sometimes posts hit home and you have to speak up. Doesn't make me less responsible for the derailment.

No apology necessary. Its an extremely sensitive subject and one that merits thoughtful debate. I found your points to be well thought out and I agree with much of what you said. I actually might have opposed your point of view until the last few years when I started mentoring kids in NYC. Some of these kids lack a very basic support system. My mom helped me fill out my college apps, first kid I worked with had a mother who was a lush and couldn't care less about his future. He had no idea how to approach the college application process, which as you know, is daunting for someone to take on by him/herself.

He's at Fordham now and actually scored in about the 70th percentile on the SAT. I don't know what the new test is like since they added the writing section, but he did pretty well and he fit in the average for Fordham students.

Very happy for him.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Reducing the weight given to the SAT is not giving people of color preference, it's giving them a more level playing field.

If you can't figure out that reducing an unfair advantage is entirely different from creating a disadvantage then I think this conversation is above your level. The only way your argument makes sense is if you believe the scales aren't already tipped in favor of whites. If you believe that, you aren't being intellectually honest.

I'll make it simple. If you play a football game with 12 players against a team with 10 players you have an unfair advantage. Removing the 2 players from one team, so that both teams have 10 players isn't creating a disadvantage for the team that had 12. It's leveling the competitive field of play.

Giving more weight to a GPA because the SAT has proven to be 1) less reliable and 2) culturally biased, doesn't mean whites are somehow disadvantaged. It means the advantage they previously enjoyed will be reduced. This is about equal opportunity. If the SAT hadn't already been shown to be less important than the GPA, and culturally biased in favor of whites, then I wouldn't be arguing against it's importance. But it's seriously flawed, and results in whites being given an advantage.

Increasing state enrollment will prevent whites from being disadvantaged? Why, is that because there are no black people in Connecticut? Unless you increase state enrollment for whites only, your proposal won't do anything to keep whites from being oppressed.

the football analogy has me scratching my head and cultural bias is used way too much as an excuse/alibi - there's many with an Indian (as in country not native American) heritage who have far less culture exposure who seem to have some great success in taking the exam
lets make separate tests for white Americans, European Americans, Asian Americans, Africans, Russians, African Americans and Hispanics- would that even everything up? I don't see it
I also don't see using GPA as a greater barometer being more equitable because we all know grades can be subject to teacher bias/whim and outside pressures
Stating that a conversation is above someone's head is treading on arrogance
There is no simple answer because education is so uneven in this country - from town to town
I feel its up to the individual on how hard they work, how much they want to succeed and no matter what test is placed in front of them, if they prepared properly, in most cases they will succeed.
There has to be a standardized mechanism that will allow comparative results and until someone comes up with that piece, the SATs are one they have now.
I am not saying that the SATs are the answer but it beats what relying on GPA could do (UNC?)

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No apology necessary. Its an extremely sensitive subject and one that merits thoughtful debate. I found your points to be well thought out and I agree with much of what you said. I actually might have opposed your point of view until the last few years when I started mentoring kids in NYC. Some of these kids lack a very basic support system. My mom helped me fill out my college apps, first kid I worked with had a mother who was a lush and couldn't care less about his future. He had no idea how to approach the college application process, which as you know, is daunting for someone to take on by him/herself.

He's at Fordham now and actually scored in about the 70th percentile on the SAT. I don't know what the new test is like since they added the writing section, but he did pretty well and he fit in the average for Fordham students.

Very happy for him.
GREAT STORY

Reaction Score
The minority at UConn stats presented in this thread are way overblown. Look at the actual numbers. They count internationals and Asians (who are at 2 to 3x their representation in the population as minorities. The actual numbers at UConn for African-Americans are less than 5%, well below the representative population in Connecticut. After Affirmative Action admissions were struck down, schools nationwide saw a drop in AA enrollment. In the SUNY system in New York state, we have actually found that there are a good many students from cities who are not applying even though they have SATs higher than the average student.

Reaction Score
The minority at UConn stats presented in this thread are way overblown. Look at the actual numbers. They count internationals and Asians (who are at 2 to 3x their representation in the population as minorities. The actual numbers at UConn for African-Americans are less than 5%, well below the representative population in Connecticut. After Affirmative Action admissions were struck down, schools nationwide saw a drop in AA enrollment. In the SUNY system in New York state, we have actually found that there are a good many students from cities who are not applying even though they have SATs higher than the average student.
If those kids have the scores for the SUNY schools why aren't they applying?

pj

Reaction Score
They don't realize that Buffalo is in New York.

Reaction Score

Very happy for him.

You are part of the solution! We need more people like you and less people who just talk and complain.

C

Chief00

Very happy for him.

I have mentored kids in Hartford at different points throughout my career. As stated previously, I agree we need to do what's necessary to give them the opportunity to succeed - assuming they respond to the challenge with a little coaching. Some will, some won't.

When you are involved in such programs it is apparent all the distractions that are there to sidetrack kids. I saw gang attachment down to the 5th grade level - when kids would fight in the bathroom, who had bothers or cousins in competing gangs.

I had a Weaver student - who later went to Central come to me - because they needed a used car to go to college and their intern job - and they knew no one with good credit to co-sign. I did - because you either help people or you don't. It's not always smart but there's no middle ground. You built a trust.

Several years ago - I took some time off - so that I could do something with my own kids during the formative years - and when I told the boy I was mentoring at Sanchez school, who was the biggest discipline problem in the program, that I needed to take a year off - to my great surprise he cried - I had no idea what an emotional impact this type of program could develop and he would have been the last guy that I would have thought would miss me - since I did not cut him much slack - in a joking way most times. But, I would call him on stuff that others might not. He was naturally very bright but he could turn out to be a drug dealer or Doctor. The path that he will go down will make all the difference.

If you ever want to make a real impact on someone's life - I highly recommend it. Be prepared for some peaks and valleys along the way - but at the end of the day - it's all good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
They don't need to. The best suny is on long island.

I suppose it depends on what you want to do - it's pretty hard for any school to beat SUNY Albany's Micro & Nanoscale Science school

Reaction Score
Word is that Nova is making a strong push to add Waters. Just adding info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member