Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling): | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're comparing grown adults that are playing rec golf at their local course to STUDENT-athletes risking either catching, getting damaged by, or transmitting a virus all to play a game for your entertainment.

I think you are not seeing the fact that they can decide if they want to play or not. Fear for your safety.....opt out no problem. These kids will be protected much better than the average kid attending public school this fall. If you played/play sports it really has little to do with entertaining others compared to personal and team satisfaction.

Reaction Score
You're comparing grown adults that are playing rec golf at their local course to STUDENT-athletes risking either catching, getting damaged by, or transmitting a virus all to play a game for your entertainment.

Nope, not for my entertainment at all. I feel bad for these kids who want to play a sport that they love and will be denied a chance to do so. Especially football players because their window of opportunity to play this game is so small.

Reaction Score
It's most certainly not my decision to make a risk determination for athletes and their families. And no I don't feel like a hypocrite in my moderately civilized supermarket with my gloves, N95 and wipes. Not in the least. Not at work either. And yet I feel strongly about getting this under control and don't want to see coaches, teachers, doctors and nurses being put at risk for TV contracts. Whether I think they can do it safely is actually irrelevant because the affected people and the University leadership will ultimately decide what a worst case scenario would look like and go from there. Don't want to undersell their ability to come up with a strategy but they're dealing with a lot of moving parts. Lots of variables.

And this is funny from Sankey:

Sankey, when asked by @finebaum what he needs to see in public health trends before making a decision: "We need to see the ability for our hospitals and our health care systems to manage COVID-19."

Actually it's about OUR ability to manage our own behavior and employers commitment to worker safety. Hospital capacity is a symptom of that direct link.

I see your point - but *I* don't feel comfortable saying "screw the guy that works for the NFL - if his family ends up on the streets who cares because that is a non-essential job". That's my point. I don't get to make the determination about who is essential and who isn't. Every single person is in a complicated situation - and we are all taking some sort of risks. It isn't for me to decide what risks other people should or shouldn't take.

Reaction Score
In this case it kind of is, not you but athletic directors governors college presidents who really do need to decide this because as I and others are saying, it isn’t just the players who are at risk. Frankly the entire medical system in some states is at risk. Players might have a relatively low risk of serious illness but this is a highly contagious disease and if one gets it it can easily be passed on to many others, In California it is estimated now that infected people infect an average of 5 others, not all of whom have such a low risk. Keep in mind that college basketball coaches can’t keep tabs on 10-12 players in normal times (see Bouknight, James, driving into a sign). Nobody is keeping 100 football players in quarantine. So nonsense about it is only the players at risk is exactly that.

Reaction Score
In this case it kind of is, not you but athletic directors governors college presidents who really do need to decide this because as I and others are saying, it isn’t just the players who are at risk. Frankly the entire medical system in some states is at risk. Players might have a relatively low risk of serious illness but this is a highly contagious disease and if one gets it it can easily be passed on to many others, In California it is estimated now that infected people infect an average of 5 others, not all of whom have such a low risk. Keep in mind that college basketball coaches can’t keep tabs on 10-12 players in normal times (see Bouknight, James, driving into a sign). Nobody is keeping 100 football players in quarantine. So nonsense about it is only the players at risk is exactly that.

You at least are consistent and continue to repeat the same thing. Do you think these players are not taking this seriously? Do you think they are more at risk than an 8th grader in Manchester public schools? You must be in favor of not resuming any activity until there is a vaccine. If that’s your answer then put things on hold for 18 months. The mental and financial ruin better be worth it. We need to take measured risk to get things back to some sort of normalcy. These kids will be in a controlled environment. If the rest of the population was in that environment we would not be in the situation we are in now.

These kids are disciplined athletes who are aware this is serious and their ability to play depends on following the protocols.

That said, there will be no fall sports. Too many people like yourself will be the first to say “I told you so” when there is some sort of minor issue. And the powers that be ultimately won’t take the risk.

Reaction Score
Orgeron might want to look into manufacturing LSU gear locally.

Reaction Score
Major hospitals in major U.S. cities are literally on the brink of overwhelming their capacity to treat critically I'll patients, but some think kids in a sport that depends on full body contact should happen.

Any person in a leadership position who sends a team out on the field this fall should be stoned to death in a public square...or maybe a nice grassy University quad.I'm kidding, of course.........

Push the seasons to spring and go from there.

Reaction Score
Good honest answer from the AD. The $ are too great to just forego the season. Right now, they are hanging on to a prayer.

honest letter, he is right. ethically, considering the experience the players will have, risks to schools...there is no ethical way IMO to play the season. Why should college football players have to “generate revenue” so they can fund other sports?

that their purpose? If so, pay them handsomely. Not talking scholarships.

As far as jobs at stake, no crap. Every business and entity in America is struggling with this. Find other ways. These ADs can’t declare bankruptcy, which is a big problem. The universities are Gonna have to step in and bail athletics out.

To even think about playing in this environment is ridiculous. It is untenable.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
These kids are disciplined athletes who are aware this is serious and their ability to play depends on following the protocols.
NBA players, in a bubble, who are literally professionals, are not disciplined enough to follow their protocols. You really think a bunch of 18-22 year olds on a college campus are going to be more disciplined than grown adults?

Reaction Score
NBA players, in a bubble, who are literally professionals, are not disciplined enough to follow their protocols. You really think a bunch of 18-22 year olds on a college campus are going to be more disciplined than grown adults?

Was it 2 out of 322 who were in the bubble already? Wow.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Was it 2 out of 322 who were in the bubble already? Wow.
A few players have been caught leaving the bubble to get food, and there are rumors that players have been trying to meet up with women outside the bubble. If you think college players will be any more likely to follow the rules I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

Reaction Score
A few players have been caught leaving the bubble to get food, and there are rumors that players have been trying to meet up with women outside the bubble. If you think college players will be any more likely to follow the rules I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

This.

The idea that college students to say nothing of college athletes will adhere to social distancing protocols is total fiction. It simply will not happen. Decisions will eventually have to be made around either accepting the risk with realistic controls in place (that will be far from eliminating all infection) or cancelling/postponing the season. Everything else is a lot of noise...…...

Reaction Score
Northern Illinois AD Sean Frazier — amid financial strain, cancellations and the realities of COVID-19 — makes a push for spring football: ‘Time is running out’

>>How long is it going to take us to come to the realization that we can’t control COVID?” Frazier told the Tribune this week. “It seems like we’ve done a good job of trying to wait it out. OK, you want two or three more weeks to hope and pray the good Lord is going to bless us with something that is going to change. “But I’m seeing an uptick. I’m seeing states going backward. I’m seeing people increase the infection rate. Is that going to change in the next two months? I don’t have the answer, but I don’t think so. I’m trying to be a realist.”

For Frazier, that means conferences need to band together — or at least a few Power Five conferences need to take a stand — and announce they will move their seasons to the spring in hopes of buying time to return to a normal schedule by fall 2021.

“If we don’t start planning a year from now, it could be trouble,” he said. “Maybe get a six-game schedule for the spring and then hopefully get on track for next year — and even that might be ambitious. I’d rather start planning like that than say we’re just going to try to pack football and the fall sports in and hope to goodness that nothing goes wrong. It’s almost like a setup for failure.”<<

Reaction Score
Actually, I like the idea of a six game spring season. Has a lot of advantages. Might have a vaccine by they if they start late enough. Not ideal but a reasonable compromise pending the infection rate this fall and winter and the resulting academic calendar.

Agree that fall sports should not be played this year, at least in the fall. The issue is not so much the SA's themselves, but their role as super spreaders to the rest of the population.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
Sounds about right for Louisiana!

Reaction Score
You at least are consistent and continue to repeat the same thing. Do you think these players are not taking this seriously? Do you think they are more at risk than an 8th grader in Manchester public schools? You must be in favor of not resuming any activity until there is a vaccine. If that’s your answer then put things on hold for 18 months. The mental and financial ruin better be worth it. We need to take measured risk to get things back to some sort of normalcy. These kids will be in a controlled environment. If the rest of the population was in that environment we would not be in the situation we are in now.

That said, there will be no fall sports. Too many people like yourself will be the first to say “I told you so” when there is some sort of minor issue. And the powers that be ultimately won’t take the risk.
Look I’ve also said if everyplace was like Connecticut we could play football this fall. Even said a schedule against regional opponents Might be feasible. And with proper planning and precautions we can open schools elementary and high schools. But here’s the thing. 18 States are currently rated as having out of control spreading and 8-9 more as serious problems. And not by me or even by some liberal eastern elite eggheads. This was reported by Fox News.

As far as the risk to some Manchester 8th grader I’m just guessing here but he or she is probably not traveling to any of those states Where our states wants you to quarantine when you arrive from. or playing a full contact sport against others from those places. It is a false comparison but you knew that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom