Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling): | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look I’ve also said if everyplace was like Connecticut we could play football this fall. Even said a schedule against regional opponents Might be feasible. And with proper planning and precautions we can open schools elementary and high schools. But here’s the thing. 18 States are currently rated as having out of control spreading and 8-9 more as serious problems. And not by me or even by some liberal eastern elite eggheads. This was reported by Fox News.

As far as the risk to some Manchester 8th grader I’m just guessing here but he or she is probably not traveling to any of those states Where our states wants you to quarantine when you arrive from. or playing a full contact sport against others from those places. It is a false comparison but you knew that.
Am I missing something or would all the athletes who are cleared to play the sport going to be negative for the virus? I assume they will be tested prior to each game? Anything I have said is based on that. If that is not true than I get your point. The Manchester 8th grader would have a better chance of a random person sneezing on them to get the virus then two football teams who tested negative? But again, in fairness I do not know the details of what the protocols are/will be.

Reaction Score
In this case it kind of is, not you but athletic directors governors college presidents who really do need to decide this because as I and others are saying, it isn’t just the players who are at risk. Frankly the entire medical system in some states is at risk. Players might have a relatively low risk of serious illness but this is a highly contagious disease and if one gets it it can easily be passed on to many others, In California it is estimated now that infected people infect an average of 5 others, not all of whom have such a low risk. Keep in mind that college basketball coaches can’t keep tabs on 10-12 players in normal times (see Bouknight, James, driving into a sign). Nobody is keeping 100 football players in quarantine. So nonsense about it is only the players at risk is exactly that.

Or 1.15 others (not 5). Still not good.

Reaction Score
Major hospitals in major U.S. cities are literally on the brink of overwhelming their capacity to treat critically I'll patients, but some think kids in a sport that depends on full body contact should happen.

Any person in a leadership position who sends a team out on the field this fall should be stoned to death in a public square...or maybe a nice grassy University quad.I'm kidding, of course.........

Push the seasons to spring and go from there.

Do you advocate on 100% lockdown for those cities?

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score

Only if people are generally too stupid to do what they're told to do by the virologists. Sometimes this is what has to be done.

Reaction Score

No. I advocate a 3 week lockdown for the nation, followed by mandated mask usage, and social distancing. Basically, those things that worked in most of the Industrialized World thus far. City by city won't work because of cars, planes, and trains, etc.

Had we done this 9 weeks ago, the current picture would be a lot different. But, we didn't. Therefore, there should not be football in the fall.

On a side note, anyone looking forward to the national reaction to a lockdown in the Winter months with no sports onTV? That is going to be a blast!

Reaction Score
No. I advocate a 3 week lockdown for the nation, followed by mandated mask usage, and social distancing. Basically, those things that worked in most of the Industrialized World thus far. City by city won't work because of cars, planes, and trains, etc.

Had we done this 9 weeks ago, the current picture would be a lot different. But, we didn't. Therefore, there should not be football in the fall.

On a side note, anyone looking forward to the national reaction to a lockdown in the Winter months with no sports onTV? That is going to be a blast!

I'm down for that plan.

Reaction Score

>>The rising cases in young people have coincided with the start of summer sports programs, and contact tracers have noted a link to participation in those activities.

"Given that decisions will be made soon about the reopening of public schools in St. Louis County, we're concerned," said county health department spokesman Christopher Ave. "Schools aren't even in session and we're seeing this increase."

Some school districts have asked the Missouri United School Insurance Council to provide liability waivers for COVID-19, although they are not required to use them, said the group's executive director Mark Stockwell.

The waivers are intended for voluntary activities like sports that may pose additional risk of illness, and do not apply to classroom instruction that schools are required to provide. The waivers, which are to be signed by parents or guardians, say students should not participate in activities if they have any symptoms or have been in close contact with an infected person. They also say the districts are released from liability if the student falls ill or dies from COVID-19.<<

Reaction Score
My father who is ND grad and gets tickets every year through the alumni lottery process got this email today from Notre Dame. It’s cute that think they are actually playing college football this Fall let alone playing with fans in the stadium.

>>Thank you for your patience as we navigate these uncertain times. Over the past few months, we have worked diligently on a seating plan that would incorporate proper physical distancing measures to ensure Notre Dame Stadium is as safe as possible this Fall. We are in the final stages of that planning process, which will greatly reduce our capacity.

>> Unfortunately, given the uncertainties surrounding the upcoming season and our commitment to maintaining physical distancing in all of our venues, we will be unable to offer single-game tickets or parking to 2020 home games through the lottery.

>> As it relates to away games, we are likely to receive greatly reduced allotments. These tickets may not be available for purchase. If tickets are available for any away games, we will communicate those purchasing instructions at a later time.

Reaction Score
All this energy being devoted to a lost cause this Fall. I'm not letting my daughter go back on campus this Fall....she'll be all remote. There have to be other parents of this mindset, parents of football players I mean...

I might have made that decision if there was nothing at stake for my son. But my choice was to send him or delay a year. Can't get a masters in athletic training without being around for clinicals/practicals. And then there is XC/Track - he has one year of grad eligibility - there may be no season - but I couldn't deny him his chance to run at the D1 level.

Reaction Score
I might have made that decision if there was nothing at stake for my son. But my choice was to send him or delay a year. Can't get a masters in athletic training without being around for clinicals/practicals. And then there is XC/Track - he has one year of grad eligibility - there may be no season - but I couldn't deny him his chance to run at the D1 level.
Makes sense. Mine is an undergrad with all classroom courses this fall. No labs etc. plus she attends in NYC.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Well somehow we are still on the path to at least starting the season which is rather unbelievable. Question du jour, will they permit fall practice to begin? It seems to be an issue that has to be addressed in the next two weeks at some capacity.

Reaction Score
What a joke these testing protocols are. The P5 leagues are dropping non league opponent they are afraid won’t meet these? LOL. As I expected this is PR not protection. Oh and based on these schools in Florida South Carolina, Texas California Arizona shouldn’t even start a season. Leave it to the NCAA to come up with pseudo science.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Once a week testing for 85+ people, in states that are being ravaged by COVID and people are waiting 2-3 weeks to hear their results back? Don’t get me wrong I want football to happen but this seems like an egregious waste of resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom