Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling): | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There will be no fans for college football. The players will have to undergo extreme testing and isolation.

This is exploration. The only reason college football will be played is for athletic departments strongly in need of revenue.

the cross country team isn’t going to run. The volleyball team isn’t going to play.

If all sports can’t play, but you want football to play, I just don’t find that ethical. There is no reason for colleges to play. They are Schools. They aren’t athletic businesses.

The framework of those teams makes playing games — just football — unethical in this environment. Athletics is a sidearm of the university.

nfl, nba, mlb and pro sports. They are there to play because their business is sports. Also, by nit playing, the players’ livelihoods are at stake. So they can then take that risk.
Agreed - as the days go by its hard to see any scenario but a no football scenario.

Reaction Score

>>Practice and other athletic training opportunities for enrolled student-athletes will be permitted provided they are structured in accordance with each institution’s procedures and applicable state regulations. The Ivy League will also issue guidelines on a phased approach to conditioning and practice activities to allow for interaction among student-athletes and coaches that will begin with limited individual and small group workouts and build to small group practice sessions, if public health conditions permit.

Fall sport student-athletes will not use a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility in the fall, whether or not they enroll. Students who wish to pursue competition during a fifth-year will need to work with their institutions in accordance with campus policy to determine their options beyond their current anticipated graduation date.

Local campus policies for the student body regarding return to campus and in-person learning will apply to student-athletes.

A decision on the remaining winter and spring sports competition calendar, and on whether fall sport competition would be feasible in the spring, will be determined at a later date.<<

Reaction Score
There will be no fans for college football. The players will have to undergo extreme testing and isolation.

This is exploration . The only reason college football will be played is for athletic departments strongly in need of revenue.

the cross country team isn’t going to run. The volleyball team isn’t going to play.

If all sports can’t play, but you want football to play, I just don’t find that ethical. There is no reason for colleges to play. They are Schools. They aren’t athletic businesses.

The framework of those teams makes playing games — just football — unethical in this environment. Athletics is a sidearm of the university.

nfl, nba, mlb and pro sports. They are there to play because their business is sports. Also, by nit playing, the players’ livelihoods are at stake. So they can then take that risk.
Nice post but you mean exploitation?

Reaction Score
Does ESPN still have to pay their chosen schools if there is no football season?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If we somehow get a college football season, which I put at 3%, what happens to independents? If all schools play a conference only schedule, which might not happen, it leaves UConn with only other independents? Is it even viable?

I'm assuming schools are staying within conference for travel purposes???? I'm not actually sure....money probably. Let's stick with travel because some of these conferences are in somewhat similar areas....does a conference like the AAC stay conference only while having Cincy and Temple so far north?

To be honest, I'm not sure why conference only games would even work. If you can play those games, why can't you play a whole season? I agree with others who say that if they decide they can pull off playing football, they'll need to regionalize it. However, that will never happen because the P5 money would be gone for this year because of no conferences.

Like usual, money trumps what might actually work.

Reaction Score
Any University president who allows students to take the field in the fall should be fired on the spot. This is reckless disregard for young people all in the name of making a buck.
If you have allowed your institution of higher learning to become dependent on revenue from athletics to function, you aren't fit for position.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
MLS to decide on Nashville COVID case overnight

Looks like we might have a second team drop out. MLS not off to a good start. Not a good look for professional sports leagues starting off in a bubble situation.

I will say, it does show how a league should react when teams/certain amount of players/staff test positive. They are doing the right thing by sending them home instead of just putting them in quarentine and allowing the team to play again. However, it also shows the fragile nature of trying to start and maintain any league during this time.

Reaction Score
SEC commissioner didn't sound too optimistic based on the quote I saw this morning. Certainly isn't full speed ahead.

Reaction Score
Right now, pushing the season to the spring is the best chance they have of getting in a complete schedule. The sooner they realize that and begin planning, the better. This way, there's tangible goals that can be set, data markers to watch to allow spring play to proceed, testing infrastructure setup, and with a stroke or two of luck perhaps science catches up as well.

It also improves the chances of having at least some fans at the games from 0% to more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom