Perspective on Vital | The Boneyard

Perspective on Vital

Reaction Score
Hard to think of a more complicated legacy legacy for a player than Vital. He was the only member of that highly touted recruiting class to chose to stay put (AG didn't leave, but given his injuries... I'm not sure he had many options). A late signing, he was overlooked within that class and quickly won over fans with his energy and attitude. When everything was falling apart he could be counted on to always give a damn and try his absolute hardest, sparking runs with steals and rebounds that few other guards would grab. He entered this season with an outside shot at the career 3 point record, if I recall. He was the tough underdog that fought through some very lean years to become one of, if not the leader of a blue blood program.

And yet, in his senior year, it seems likely that his playing time will see a hit if Hurley prioritizes the youngsters in another lost season. Some of this is obviously on him, as a handful of very ill-advised late game decisions have contributed to our record thus far. Even still, the non-shooting attributes he brings to the game are impressive. Its hard not to wonder (like we have with Jalen) what might have been had he played under a coaching staff with continuity and an ability to develop players more from year to year. Some (not all) of his bad shots are probably due to the years he played on a team with zero offensive strategy and a constant need to bail out possessions with 3s.

I certainly hope we see a lot more of his best play this year, but regardless of how this season finishes, I'll always remember Christian for bringing an attitude and joy to the court when it was otherwise hard to find.

Reaction Score
Hard to think of a more complicated legacy legacy for a player than Vital. He was the only member of that highly touted recruiting class to chose to stay put (AG didn't leave, but given his injuries... I'm not sure he had many options). A late signing, he was overlooked within that class and quickly won over fans with his energy and attitude. When everything was falling apart he could be counted on to always give a damn and try his absolute hardest, sparking runs with steals and rebounds that few other guards would grab. He entered this season with an outside shot at the career 3 point record, if I recall. He was the tough underdog that fought through some very lean years to become one of, if not the leader of a blue blood program.

And yet, in his senior year, it seems likely that his playing time will see a hit if Hurley prioritizes the youngsters in another lost season. Some of this is obviously on him, as a handful of very ill-advised late game decisions have contributed to our record thus far. Even still, the non-shooting attributes he brings to the game are impressive. Its hard not to wonder (like we have with Jalen) what might have been had he played under a coaching staff with continuity and an ability to develop players more from year to year. Some (not all) of his bad shots are probably due to the years he played on a team with zero offensive strategy and a constant need to bail out possessions with 3s.

I certainly hope we see a lot more of his best play this year, but regardless of how this season finishes, I'll always remember Christian for bringing an attitude and joy to the court when it was otherwise hard to find.

You've captured it well. All the loses tend to color our perspective, but the kid has done some very good things. I'd love to see the team gel and win the NIT. That would be a good way for Vital to go out.

Reaction Score

The kid was an overachiever forced to do things beyond his limitations due to injuries and desertions.
UConn ‘s lack of success is more because of the. poor teams he was on than him.
in better times he is a beloved 6th guy. The kid plays his butt off.
Did anyone mention he hit three clutch FT ‘s to send the game to OT.
If anyone deserves to be a part of a success story it’s him

C

Chief00

Chief00 actually thinks CV is the one older player who can blend with the younger guys. He plays with energy/steals, rebounds and hits his foul shots.
The two limitations are shot selection/volume and ball security. The way to mitigate that is to effectively play CV as a 3 on offense. Chief00 will provide more details on that approach at a later time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Vital would make an incredible third or fourth option, jack of all trades piece on a great team. People that don’t appreciate him are looking for a star player on offense. Vital is pretty good on offense but where he is elite is in his hustle, heart, confidence, defense and rebounding. Just a strong and aggressive basketball player. He shouldn’t have to be an alpha scorer but he’s been left with little choice.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Vital would make an incredible third or fourth option, jack of all trades piece on a great team. People that don’t appreciate him are looking for a star player on offense. Vital is pretty good on offense but where he is elite is in his hustle, heart, confidence, defense and rebounding. Just a strong and aggressive basketball player. He shouldn’t have to be an alpha scorer but he’s been left with little choice.

If Vital had the talent around him to play the Rashad Anderson role, we would all absolutely love him. He’s nota good shooter off the dribble and struggles to create his own shot and finish at the rim. But if he could play that role of getting those open spot ups, he’d be fine with his d and rebounding

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Unless he gets arrested, you aren't going to get me to not like Vital. He represents everything that this program claims to represent in terms of hard nosed play, heart, and commitment.

To that end, I don't care if his shots dropx with all the other holes in the roster. People keep clamoring for an El Amin leader type. CV is as close as we can get minus the press appearances.

Reaction Score
Despite the shortcomings in his 4 years here, I will forever love Vital for bringing his desire and toughness to the team and that will be valuable to the young guys around him right now. As for the shots, our offense is so bad that he should just take the shots man

Reaction Score
C'mon, please. If he had talent around him, he'd be sitting.

Please. On a good team he would still be a spark off the bench. There is being critical, then there is just being unduly harsh. The kid rebounds, plays D, hustles and gives it everything he has. His faults are from trying too hard to be a star when he should really be a solid role player.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As for the shots, our offense is so bad that he should just take the shots man
Our offense is so bad because he's just taking shots, man. The offense started clicking on Sunday once he and Gilbert sat. It stalled again once he came back in. Hurley doesn't want to cut the cord with these guys but enough.

Reaction Score
Unless he gets arrested, you aren't going to get me to not like Vital. He represents everything that this program claims to represent in terms of hard nosed play, heart, and commitment.

To that end, I don't care if his shots dropx with all the other holes in the roster. People keep clamoring for an El Amin leader type. CV is as close as we can get minus the press appearances.

If his shots don't drop then please everyone stop with the El Amin and Rashad Anderson comparisons LOL. Their shots dropped and in very clutch situations and from all over the floor. He's not either of them nor is there a lot to compare him to. He played hard, out of control at times but again, hard! Not many can say the effort they put in was Vital like.

Look he should be given the utmost respect for what he has achieved during a 4 year span that must've sucked for him (well 3 2/3s because you never know). He plays hard like you would want all of our Huskies to do. He rebounds like a forward, has been better than most of our bigs at this for his career, amazing stuff. He goes after a rebound harder than most it's impressive and I respect the crap out of that. Wish he was 6'5 or so he'd be Adrien. Wish he had players around him for a couple of years, he's be John Gwynn like.

Unfortunately none of that happened for him so he was part of this unUConn-like run. But anyone not appreciating the effort from him is crazy. He's a true Husky no doubt. Good player during down years that's CV it's too bad but reality.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think he brings too many tangibles to see his minutes dip significantly. CV has given the program his best effort. Unfortunately the teams he has played on have been far worse than UConn fans have become accustomed to. That will always be a part of his career narrative. I hope he finishes his UConn career strong and is able to continue to play professionally afterwards. At the same time I'm looking forward to a changing of the guard(not just CV) because what we've had the last few years is not working.

Reaction Score
Our offense is so bad because he's just taking shots, man. The offense started clicking on Sunday once he and Gilbert sat. It stalled again once he came back in. Hurley doesn't want to cut the cord with these guys but enough.
must explain why coach Hurley put Vital back in the game and set him up for the corner 3 where he got fouled
?

Reaction Score
Off the top of my head Dyson is the only other player who comes to mind in terms of how polarizing they were, granted Vital is polarizing for different reasons.

Vital is a 4th guard on a vintage UConn team. During our recent lull he should be a sixth man. It's a classic case a guy being assigned a role that's one or two roles too high for him. He's being asked to do too much; he shouldn't have the ball in his hands in clutch moments and he sure as hell shouldn't be asked to create in those moments.

On the bright side, he's a flawed player but at least he gives his all and plays hard. On the downside, he's a flawed player who often makes things worse by trying to do too much or making stupid decisions. I don't think it's a wild leap to say, after watching him for four years, that he thinks he's much better than he actually is. He's "irrational confidence" guy.

Reaction Score
Before last game, Vital lead the team in offensive efficiency while simultaneously taking the highest percentage of shots. His offensive efficiency isn't good, but neither is anyone elses. If you want to blame a singular player instead of the entire team or the offensive system, go ahead. But you're wrong.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is all on CV. There was a number possessions in the previous games where Gaffney and others gave the ball over to CV 30 feet from the hoop with 5-10 seconds left in the shot clock. Some of the stupid shot comments are warranted but not all.

Reaction Score
To me it's more his turnover rate that is his biggest fault. Someone has got to shoot and I feel as confident in Christian as anyone currently playing especially since Polley went down. I'll admit CV has not shot the ball well this year but for many on this board every missed shot from Vital is a bad shot.

Reaction Score
Vital is due for a breakout game (30+ points) before he leaves. When that happens we all we proclaim our love for him, and profusely show appreciation of his work, forgetting his past.

Which will last until the next game.

Its who we are.

Reaction Score
To me it's more his turnover rate that is his biggest fault. Someone has got to shoot and I feel as confident in Christian as anyone currently playing especially since Polley went down. I'll admit CV has not shot the ball well this year but for many on this board every missed shot from Vital is a bad shot.
These are the players with a higher TO rate than Vital:

Brendan Adams
Alterique Gilbert
James Bouknight
Sidney Wilson
Josh Carlton
Jalen Gaffney

He has the lowest TO rate of any guard while having the most opportunities to turn it over (He's used on the highest amount of possessions). People here see what they want to see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love Vital. I love his hustle, his heart, his passion and energy. The kid wants to win. He wants to win so bad. I'd love to have more like him on the team. He's fiery and feisty. He's got his team's back even when things look bleak. I still think they turn things around this year. The freshmen are growing. And I think the lineups we saw at the end of the game and overtime are very telling of what to expect the rest of the way. I think we see a lot more of Gaffney, Bouknight and Vital on the floor together.

Reaction Score

Brendan Adams
Alterique Gilbert
James Bouknight
Sidney Wilson
Josh Carlton
Jalen Gaffney

He has the lowest TO rate than any other guard while having the most opportunities to turn it over (He' used on the highest amount of possessions). People here see what they want to see.
People rag on him so hard. I don't get it. He leads the team in scoring, rebounding, steals and FT % (by a wide margin). He's a senior leader that has given everything he can for this program and folks still continue to make him out to be the problem. Unreal.

Reaction Score

Brendan Adams
Alterique Gilbert
James Bouknight
Sidney Wilson
Josh Carlton
Jalen Gaffney

He has the lowest TO rate than any other guard while having the most opportunities to turn it over (He' used on the highest amount of possessions). People here see what they want to see.

Gilbert has the ball more, has to create to get the offense going (although it rarely goes) and gets into the lane more, sometimes to our chagrin. But while I believe they can't be compared we do allow others too much leeway I agree. Bouk especially who has had some very bad TO's in big spots but we give him the "freshman" ok. Josh is a TO waiting to happen if he has to put in on the floor. Sidney about the same but he's been playing better.

Nonetheless CV turns it over and so does AG and they are the elders on the floor so not a lot of forgiveness for careless TOs, bad shots late game and you know what there shouldn't be. If they were both better during this stretch we'd be at least 12-7.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom