Perspective on KLS vs. Asia and Arike | The Boneyard

Perspective on KLS vs. Asia and Arike

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
First, I must admit I am biased for KLS and any unwarranted criticism thrown her way irritates me.
Second, after reviewing the ND last night (and even the Tex AM-Mizzou game) I saw Arike was 4-16 and 1-6 in 3 pters, so I decided to look up hers, Asia Durr’s and KLS stats for a quick compare.
Below is the standard list of stats and I would love to see the more advanced stats of player values others know better than I do to get a more informed perspective of these players.
Third, I hope to provoke a more rational evaluation by some of my peers in here as their”critical eye” that they like to use, is usually misinformed, wrong or just play ignorant.

You are best judged by those of which you compete. ND, Louisville and UConn are expected to be good year in year out so I thought this set of comparisons on position, stature on their team and in the national consciousness of WCBB was logical. As always I want to hear from you.

Here’s the chart with the leader in each category highlighted.

A5C4468C-D2DD-4ADA-8171-BD980313A4F4.png

Reaction Score
Arike won a national semi-final and championship last season with her clutch shooting. She can go 0 for whatever after that, and no one at UConn has that unique ability to do what Arike can.

Reaction Score
Arike won a national semi-final and championship last season with her clutch shooting. She can go 0 for whatever after that, and no one at UConn has that unique ability to do what Arike can.
True AO did make 2 miracle shots, LAST year... but that was then. She stunk up the gym in Miami last night, and other games this year.. and her stats this year are not good compared to NPOY standards.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
2 tremendous clutch miracle shots, which every time, of the it seems thousands of times, ESPN replays brings up real memories of 3 terribly officiated games. The last non call cost MSST the chance to win the NC. That non call was as egregious as the non call in the Saints Rams game a few weeks ago.

Reaction Score
ESPN replays brings up real memories of 3 terribly officiated games. The last non call cost MSST the chance to win the NC. That non call was as egregious as the non call in the Saints Rams game a few weeks ago.

Absolutely! Arike never should have had the chance to take that shot! Notre Dame has the championship trophy. But they didn't "win" the game. The refs handed it to them.

1:54 on the linked video:

It will be interesting to see how the three stack up in the WNBA draft. Katie is a special shooter, but Durr is special shot maker with a defender(s) in her face. Durr gets the nod. The downside for Durr and Arike is their lack of ability to be team players. I think Durr can overcome that....not so sure about Arike.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
True AO did make 2 miracle shots, LAST year... but that was then. She stunk up the gym in Miami last night, and other games this year.. and her stats this year are not good compared to NPOY standards.

The shot against UConn wasn't really a miracle at all. It was a basic pull-up jumper. She's made that shot dozens of times in her college career.

As to the rest of your post, not disputing she is short of NPOY standards this year. I think if you polled the ND board, the consensus would be that Young is ND's best player.

I just don't see what's so miraculous about hitting a long two. Collier took a step back anticipating a drive so Arike pulled up for a jumper. It's ordinary stuff.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW, I would take Durr over KLS, and it's not that close. Also, I would take KLS over Ogunbowale, and it's not really close either.

Durr shoots about the same % as Lou from beyond the arc and is quicker and a better defender of guards. She also can create her own shot, something Lou can't really do. Don't get me wrong - Lou is much better than when she came to UCONN - a complete player in every way, but I think Durr will be able to do more in the WNBA.

Arike on the other hand - if I'm Bill Lambier I will probably love her. Other than that, just don't care for how she "plays" the game, and that goes for her extra-curriculars on the court.

Of course, I'm not a WNBA GM, nor am I an expert evaluator of talent. I know you can't just look at the numbers, but that's mainly why I'd pass on Arike.

Reaction Score
All the rage on the Boneyard seems to be the "new" and improved stats known as "Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 and so on"....which if I understand these "Tier's" correctly they show how week UConn's wins are against the AAC and therefore not deserving as the higher rankings/seeds. ;)

EDIT: if I had a sarcasm emoji I would have used it here.

Reaction Score
All the rage on the Boneyard seems to be the "new" and improved stats known as "Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 and so on"....which if I understand these "Tier's" correctly they show how week UConn's wins are against the AAC and therefore not deserving as the higher rankings/seeds. ;)

EDIT: if I had a sarcasm emoji I would have used it here.

A deliberate attempt to antagonize Huskies Fans?

Ponder this "tier": In the last 7 years UConn WB has had more victories against top ten ranked programs then the next three best programs combined.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
FWIW, I would take Durr over KLS, and it's not that close. Also, I would take KLS over Ogunbowale, and it's not really close either.

Durr shoots about the same % as Lou from beyond the arc and is quicker and a better defender of guards. She also can create her own shot, something Lou can't really do. Don't get me wrong - Lou is much better than when she came to UCONN - a complete player in every way, but I think Durr will be able to do more in the WNBA.

Arike on the other hand - if I'm Bill Lambier I will probably love her. Other than that, just don't care for how she "plays" the game, and that goes for her extra-curriculars on the court.

Of course, I'm not a WNBA GM, nor am I an expert evaluator of talent. I know you can't just look at the numbers, but that's mainly why I'd pass on Arike.
Not sure any of the metrics really support your hypothesis to be honest. Maybe Durr is more capable of creating her own shot or maybe Louisville runs more plays to get her shots. As far as defensively, we can agree Durr is slightly quicker but overall her defense is behind KLS, Steals are the same, KLS has more blocks and much more defensive rebounds.
Arike has one unique skill way above Asia or KLS and its her driving ability to get to the free throw line. She has another unique skill that shall go unmentioned by me.:rolleyes:
Durr and KLS are close in skills with KLS having a tad higher acumen based on the fact she always takes the ball out of bounds on key plays to hit the right player and with lower turnovers than both Asia or Arike.
And remember, if you protest too much on this thread, you risk a cancellation of your UConn fandom!

Reaction Score
You don't read sarcasm?

You got me.....but I didn't interpret it as sarcastic. But rather, as stating the obvious (this year). While you may have intended it to be sarcastic, imo it is very close to the truth.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The shot against UConn was far from a miracle. It was basic pull up jumper she probably hit a thousand times. I thought the one against MSU was kind of lucky.

Reaction Score

I’d pass on her with a high pick. I want Minnesota to pass on her with the #6 pick.... especially considering you can get a thrift store version of Ogunbowale with a great attitude in Cierra Dillard in the second round.
964444F7-F5E8-4B65-9109-C8FF1349A73F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Durr is the clear favorite this year among Lou & Arike when talking about POY. Yes, Lou’s numbers are comparable but let’s face the facts, she feasts against lesser competition with leak out layups. She hasn’t shown up in any big game this year from a NPOY standard. She can possibly play her way back into All-American status but still has work to do. She’s more than capable of that.

All 3 leave a lot to be desired from a defensive standpoint. Durr is the best on-ball defender of all 3 but that’s not saying much.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
These stats make it hard to see AO as NPOY in any of the awards...especially when coupled with the other aspect of her game that no one talks about at parties.
But she sure knows how to get to the Free Throw line!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Durr is the clear favorite this year among Lou & Arike when talking about POY. Yes, Lou’s numbers are comparable but let’s face the facts, she feasts against lesser competition with leak out layups. She hasn’t shown up in any big game this year from a NPOY standard. She can possibly play her way back into All-American status but still has work to do. She’s more than capable of that.

All 3 leave a lot to be desired from a defensive standpoint. Durr is the best on-ball defender of all 3 but that’s not saying much.
KLS against teams projected to make the tournament is 44-84

Reaction Score
I follow womens college but not the WNBA. The thing that sticks out for me about Lou regarding next level is that she seems to be the best player when playing with other superbly talented players. The best example is her freshman year and by the end of year she had not only fit right in but flourished. I am bias but I think she is one of the best passers in terms of getting the ball to the player at the right time. This year there have been numerous times she was open and did not get a timely pass. Both of these attributes will be important to getting floor time and fitting into the chemistry of whatever team she goes. Lastly, her FG% numbers are comparable to the others, but she is in a massive slump tgis year and her upside accuracy has already been proved by leading the nation in 3pt% last year. So in a prostyle offense I believe she can be as dangerous as either Asia or Arike.

That said I can see why Asia would be selected ahead of Lou but depends on team needs.

Reaction Score
why does no one talk defense? AO is terrible at defense. If Geno were her coach AO would be a yoyo.

Reaction Score
The shot against UConn was far from a miracle. It was basic pull up jumper she probably hit a thousand times. I thought the one against MSU was kind of lucky.
Given the situation, the time of the game, and a taller defender on her (Pheesa) it was kind of a "miracle" shot. One of 2 that ESPN went stop showing... in the old days they were on tape and we could hope the tape would wear out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom