Perspective - Article from Arkansas fan site | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Perspective - Article from Arkansas fan site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There's absolutely nothing wrong with utilizing different defenses. I get a sense that most people don't take kindly to a zone defense being utilized by UConn. If your talent is such that man to man defense is a problem (staying in front of your opponent) , then a switch to zone could/should be considered.

Reaction Score
There's absolutely nothing wrong with utilizing different defenses. I get a sense that most people don't take kindly to a zone defense being utilized by UConn. If your talent is such that man to man defense is a problem (staying in front of your opponent) , then a switch to zone could/should be considered.
In the late 70's it was in vogue for the better teams to switch defenses in order to keep opponents off balance. May have only been for a couple of possessions but if the strategy got you a couple of stops, rushed shots, turnovers, it was well worth it. I remember thinking about the transition from a full-court trapping defense back to a zone and even back to man, if you were smart.
I think Bobby Knight only believed in man and Coach K for most of his career only believed in man. ( is it one of those "real men....things", like real kayaking requires no skeg or rudder)
Here in Alaska, they only play zone in the villages. I'm going to shock the world by playing man. It is better for player development to play man.
What do you think about that guy in Syracuse? Funny how they always make a run in February and March.

Reaction Score
In the late 70's it was in vogue for the better teams to switch defenses in order to keep opponents off balance. May have only been for a couple of possessions but if the strategy got you a couple of stops, rushed shots, turnovers, it was well worth it. I remember thinking about the transition from a full-court trapping defense back to a zone and even back to man, if you were smart.
I think Bobby Knight only believed in man and Coach K for most of his career only believed in man. ( is it one of those "real men....things", like real kayaking requires no skeg or rudder)
Here in Alaska, they only play zone in the villages. I'm going to shock the world by playing man. It is better for player development to play man.
What do you think about that guy in Syracuse? Funny how they always make a run in February and Ma
There is just so much accuracy in this thread that I didn't know where to reply to so I picked the end. To take the last point first, Syracuse runs a 2-3 match up zone that is extremely well executed and teams that don't see it because it is almost always man to man during the regular season have great difficulties in the Big Dance. The weakness is in the middle but nobody regularly gets it there because it is usually the second, not first pass that gets in.

Many of the high school teams here in Jersey play their version of the 2-3 but that is because the kids either weren't taught man to man, can't play it, or the coach somehow feels it is easier to teach or a better defense. It's not when played that way. I have seen first hand how fundamentals are not even taught anymore, especially on defense. We all know you play defense first with your feet. If you lose that battle, you lose the war. If your feet don't give you a charge or a go no farther position your arms can't do it without fouling. If you don't beat your man to the spot you will get beat period.

Yes, it was a lot of "matador" defense. Go past my cape (me) and I let you go. I was upset with our guards and then our bigs for not picking up. He has a lot of work to do because it is both individual and team defense that has to be reworked. There was a reason why Dungee got 37 against us last year and MacDonald hurt us so much in the FF. You can't let somebody drive past you into the lane and try to defend when you are either backing up or at their side. Take a charge or try too. It sends a message. Too bad if you pick up fouls. We just have to be tougher on that end of the court.

Yes, foot on the throat but on both defense and offense and don't let up - ever. We have 10 or 11 players that can play that way if they realize that is the way to stay on the court or get PT. Offense wins games, defense wins... you all know this. Let's all see if this improves Sunday so that our mini subscription to FloHoops is worth it.

Reaction Score
Mike Neighbors is a smart guy. I think he recognized that he was behind the eight ball as soon as UConn got off to a 17-2 lead. I’m not saying he didn’t think there was a chance, but I think he also knew that UConn could put there foot on the gas pedal at anytime, and Arkansas was going to be limited in their ability to respond.
I’m sorry but I disagree that UConn had another gear in that game. Other than Gino playing the Biggs in foul trouble and going with the starting five the subs were struggling to score Azzi Caroline Nika. The Connecticut offense was good not great and the defense was bad not poor. A slightly better team and UConn would have had a much more difficult time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All coaches have to make adjustments on the fly. Sometimes you have to throw the game plan out the window and coach from your experience and instincts. While you're at it, you can throw convention out the door too. You pull out all the stops, and use everything and everyone at your disposal. If your man to man is not effective (their players are quicker that yours), then YOU MUST go to a zone. The best coaches in basketball all have the ability (and timing) to make the correct adjustments at the right time during a game.

How many times have we seen coaches make adjustments at halftime of a game they are behind in, that turns the game around in the 2nd half, and they win?

Reaction Score
I saw two such plays in yesterday's game: one by Liv when she had 3 fouls and one by Aaliyah when she had 4 fouls. In both cases, they were deliberately trying not to risk getting yet another foul by contesting the shot.

Sometimes, when you are in foul trouble, it is better to concede 2 points than to take yourself out of the game, particularly if there is no one behind you on the bench who can carry your load.

When Geno yelled at Aaliyah, he obviously thought that she could have done more to contest the shot (like getting her hands up vertically) with minimal risk of getting a foul call. But at that point in the game, I think he was willing to have her foul out if that is what happened. But neither Liv nor Aaliyah were just giving up because they were too lazy to play defense.
That is called a learning opportunity, and I can almost guarantee that Aaliyah will not forget it, nor will she feel bitter towards Geno. Sooner or later she has to learn when to foul, and when not to. Last year, she could accumulate four fouls in a heartbeat. This year it's taking her a bit longer.

Reaction Score
There is just so much accuracy in this thread that I didn't know where to reply to so I picked the end. To take the last point first, Syracuse runs a 2-3 match up zone that is extremely well executed and teams that don't see it because it is almost always man to man during the regular season have great difficulties in the Big Dance. The weakness is in the middle but nobody regularly gets it there because it is usually the second, not first pass that gets in.

Many of the high school teams here in Jersey play their version of the 2-3 but that is because the kids either weren't taught man to man, can't play it, or the coach somehow feels it is easier to teach or a better defense. It's not when played that way. I have seen first hand how fundamentals are not even taught anymore, especially on defense. We all know you play defense first with your feet. If you lose that battle, you lose the war. If your feet don't give you a charge or a go no farther position your arms can't do it without fouling. If you don't beat your man to the spot you will get beat period.

Yes, it was a lot of "matador" defense. Go past my cape (me) and I let you go. I was upset with our guards and then our bigs for not picking up. He has a lot of work to do because it is both individual and team defense that has to be reworked. There was a reason why Dungee got 37 against us last year and MacDonald hurt us so much in the FF. You can't let somebody drive past you into the lane and try to defend when you are either backing up or at their side. Take a charge or try too. It sends a message. Too bad if you pick up fouls. We just have to be tougher on that end of the court.

Yes, foot on the throat but on both defense and offense and don't let up - ever. We have 10 or 11 players that can play that way if they realize that is the way to stay on the court or get PT. Offense wins games, defense wins... you all know this. Let's all see if this improves Sunday so that our mini subscription to FloHoops is worth it.
Super post!
I don’t want to go overboard about Nika, but when she was playing well, I thought our team D was at its best. It starts with pressure on the ball and she gave us that. Then the entry pass is tougher and so on. Aubrey contributes in that way too. Paige is always gunna be like Larry or Diana, heady players that can get in the passing lanes, not on the ball defenders. Not sure where else that can come from. Maybe this team has to pack it in.

Reaction Score
I’d look at Texas too. Vic Schaefer is putting a very competitive team together in Austin. With Mulkey gone and Gary Blair retiring at Texas A&M after this season, Schaefer just might become the “Don Vito Corleone“ of the state of Texas, allowing him to have the pick of the litter of the elite talent the longhorn state produces every year.

So far, Texas beat New Orleans by 95 points, and Stanford by 5. Very interested to see how they fair against Tennessee (in Knoxville) in 5 days (Nov 21) 1:00 pm ET ESPN. Tennessee is currently ranked #16.

I'll take the under. Two tough defensive teams and not one good offense between them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m sorry but I disagree that UConn had another gear in that game. Other than Gino playing the Biggs in foul trouble and going with the starting five the subs were struggling to score Azzi Caroline Nika. The Connecticut offense was good not great and the defense was bad not poor. A slightly better team and UConn would have had a much more difficult time.
There is always room for improvement. You may not be happy with a 15 point win against a good team where UConn shot 57% while holding the Razorbacks to 38%. But I am, and I’ve watched UConn enough to know the Huskies will only get better under Geno and his staff.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why do people do this, imagine scenarios of games that never happened in order to make a win look worse? This makes me a little crazy.

UConn beat a good Arkansas team by double digits, 15 points, in a somewhat sloppy game with meager defense. Can they get better? Yes. Will they get better? Yes, but being human beings, different players will improve at different rates and in different ways. Why some people expect a team to be in mid-season form in the first game of the season is beyond me.

Reaction Score
I actually agree with everything you said above. I was a guard and was always lucky to have good/great post players on my high school and college teams. My perspective was that Sunday it looked like, as a team, AAU defense. I found a disturbing similarity on Sunday to the defense we played last year against the same Arkansas team and against Arizona. Nobody beat anyone to the spot. No charges against a team that drives more than it does anything else. Poor boxing out. The defense was mostly retreat defense and backing up which is doomed against a driving team. If you take a charge or try to take one that offensive player will have that in their head the next time down. Plus, if your man gets past you on this team, you couldn't be more correct about Liv. Once that arm comes down in the swat it's a called foul whether it is or not.

We are going to score a lot of points this year but until I see a lock down, you ain't getting the ball, physical defense, I worry about the FF again. You can only outscore teams so many times. A bad shooting night by you and a great shooting night by them and it's over. The greatest teams ever in college, men and women, were also great defensive teams. Great defense allows you to win when your offense is only so-so. I guarantee you see a different defensive team against MinnieSnowda on Saturday..
I agree, just recall TEXAS over Maryland. Great " D" from Texas shut down high scoring Maryland!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree, just recall TEXAS over Maryland. Great " D" from Texas shut down high scoring Maryland!
Texas also walked the ball up the court on offense and used the majority of the shot clock just about every possession. It reminds me that the top ppg defensive team through a good part of the 60’s, before the shot clock, was Pete Carrill’s Princeton Tigers, who thought nothing of running a 2-3 minute offensive set until they finally got a backdoor layup. If you limit an opposing team’s possessions, you will limit their ability to score.

In contrast, UConn played really fast on Sunday, as did Arkansas. The shot clock was seldom a concern as both teams played an uptempo style of play designed to score a lot of points. Certainly there are things the Huskies need to do better. But they shot it at 57% to Arkansas’s 38%, both of which are pretty darn good for Game 1 against a decent Razorback team.

Reaction Score
I want to see Geno play his zone defense where his players stand still with their hands in the air shouting "Miss!" :D They would likely still win as I think they can outscore almost everyone.

Seriously I do expect to see him try the zone although he prefers man. Got to be able to do both well to be prepared for all conditions.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That is called a learning opportunity, and I can almost guarantee that Aaliyah will not forget it, nor will she feel bitter towards Geno. Sooner or later she has to learn when to foul, and when not to. Last year, she could accumulate four fouls in a heartbeat. This year it's taking her a bit longer.
Last year just AFTER she announced her desire to attend UConn, she said one of the reasons she chose UConn is because "SHE WANTED TO BE COACHED HARD" Hello........she's getting her wish. But as you say, she'll be a better player for it. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I want to see Geno play his zone defense where his players stand still with their hands in the air shouting "Miss!" :D They would likely still win as I think they can outscore almost everyone.

Seriously I do expect to see him try the zone although he prefers man. Got to be able to do both well to be prepared for all conditions.
There were several "questionable" calls in that game. Liv got one for just standing in the paint with her arms raised. She didn't lean in or reach. I guess defensive players no longer have the right to the space (including vertical) they occupy on the floor. When you get called for just being there after the player jumps into you, it makes you a little gun shy.

I know what Aaliyah was thinking on that play. She didn't want to foul, but as Geno demonstrated, you have to present some kind of defensive presence. You can't just retreat and move out of the way and hope they miss.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Hey, that "miss' defense is hard. You have to have excellent timing, use different octaves, switch off ('boo') and maybe multilingual?

Reaction Score
Why do people do this, imagine scenarios of games that never happened in order to make a win look worse? This makes me a little crazy.

UConn beat a good Arkansas team by double digits, 15 points, in a somewhat sloppy game with meager defense. Can they get better? Yes. Will they get better? Yes but, being human beings, different players will improve at different rates and in different ways. Why some people expect a team to be in mid-season form in the first game of the season is beyond me.
Sorry to drive you a little crazy but my post was in response to another post with rose colored lenses thinking that Connecticut could just turn on a switch and blow out what you yourself said Was a good team in Arkansas. Geno acknowledged that Connecticut had some areas of the game that needed work mostly defensive and that some of the newer players looked nervous and excited. Usually teams with so many new players it’s unlikely to throw a switch and blow out a good team. 15 points is a good margin of victory and I believe by the end of the season that could have been a 30 point victory. It’s my opinion that Come tournament time Connecticut will have gelled and be ready for a run to the national championship. They will throw the switch at the jump and not look back.

Reaction Score
So, you're saying that by the tournament we will treat teams "like a piranha on a roast?"

Reaction Score
There is always room for improvement. You may not be happy with a 15 point win against a good team where UConn shot 57% while holding the Razorbacks to 38%. But I am, and I’ve watched UConn enough to know the Huskies will only get better under Geno and his staff.
I can’t agree with you more that there’s always room for improvement. I never said I was unhappy with a 15 point victory. What I said was that I didn’t believe an inexperienced young team in their first game could just throw a switch was my reply to a previous post I to believe that UConn will be a much different team midway through the season and that the coaching staff is the best in the country. It is also my belief that the newcomers to the team will settle in and live up to their expectations and make Connecticut the most formidable team in women’s college basketball. A lot of good will come from the Arkansas game and I am excited to see how the coaching staff handles it.

Reaction Score
Sorry to drive you a little crazy but my post was in response to another post with rose colored lenses thinking that Connecticut could just turn on a switch and blow out what you yourself said Was a good team in Arkansas. Geno acknowledged that Connecticut had some areas of the game that needed work mostly defensive and that some of the newer players looked nervous and excited. Usually teams with so many new players it’s unlikely to throw a switch and blow out a good team. 15 points is a good margin of victory and I believe by the end of the season that could have been a 30 point victory. It’s my opinion that Come tournament time Connecticut will have gelled and be ready for a run to the national championship. They will throw the switch at the jump and not look back.
Of course everyone is in "wait and see" mode. We are all psyched out of our minds for 3 games in 3 days. We can still banter back and forth about things we see. That's what fandom is. If everyone is casual then no one has anything to say. Living in Alaska (it's already -10), there's not much to do but watch games in the winter. I expect everyone else here to be crazy about sports like me, even the Eskimos. I get frustrated when there's no one to talk "inside baseball" with. So, there is the opposite extreme. I'd rather talk than not talk. Just try to disregard stuff that bugs us.
BTW UConn WCBB had zero graduating seniors. So, the new team angle I think is overstated. This is a veteran squad that made it to the final four with a relatively large group of newcomers this year. We shouldn't look like a bad middle school team on defense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I can’t agree with you more that there’s always room for improvement. I never said I was unhappy with a 15 point victory. What I said was that I didn’t believe an inexperienced young team in their first game could just throw a switch was my reply to a previous post I to believe that UConn will be a much different team midway through the season and that the coaching staff is the best in the country. It is also my belief that the newcomers to the team will settle in and live up to their expectations and make Connecticut the most formidable team in women’s college basketball. A lot of good will come from the Arkansas game and I am excited to see how the coaching staff handles it.
This UConn team was not inexperienced by any stretch of the imagination, with the same starting 5 returning from last year including 3 seniors. You refer to “turning on a switch.” That’s not the way I would couch what UConn does to opposing teams. UConn goes on runs. They did it at the beginning of the game, they did it at the start of the 2nd half and they did it again in the 4th qtr to put the game away.

Mike Neighbors knew that UConn was capable of such runs and after 17-2 to start the game, he also knew that his Razorbacks were probably not going to be able to stick with the Huskies.

Reaction Score
This UConn team was not inexperienced by any stretch of the imagination, with the same starting 5 returning from last year including 3 seniors. You refer to “turning on a switch.” That’s not the way I would couch what UConn does to opposing teams. UConn goes on runs. They did it at the beginning of the game, they did it at the start of the 2nd half and they did it again in the 4th qtr to put the game away.

Mike Neighbors knew that UConn was capable of such runs and after 17-2 to start the game, he also knew that his Razorbacks were probably not going to be able to stick with the Huskies.
OK you win. Try reading what I responded to for some perspective

Reaction Score
Arkansas was an excellent opening day opponent. I would like to see them become part of our OOC regulars. Arkansas is not a cupcake.
Carnac--I agree with this and your previous posts. No dispute. Especially, let us see what they look like after game 5. One other agreement; each game is a growing experience especially all those (Including the Ohio transfer) senior or below. Teaching never stops nor does learning---in Basketball and life. Thanks Carnac.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Of course everyone is in "wait and see" mode. We are all psyched out of our minds for 3 games in 3 days. We can still banter back and forth about things we see. That's what fandom is. If everyone is casual then no one has anything to say. Living in Alaska (it's already -10), there's not much to do but watch games in the winter. I expect everyone else here to be crazy about sports like me, even the Eskimos. I get frustrated when there's no one to talk "inside baseball" with. So, there is the opposite extreme. I'd rather talk than not talk. Just try to disregard stuff that bugs us.
BTW UConn WCBB had zero graduating seniors. So, the new team angle I think is overstated. This is a veteran squad that made it to the final four with a relatively large group of newcomers this year. We shouldn't look like a bad middle school team on defense.
I missed being born in Alaska by 3 months. My parents had very good jobs in Fairbanks. My mom refused to have me there. My father said if he had known Alaska was to become a state down the road, they never would have left. I’m glad they did. I don’t like cold weather.…….period!! 72 degrees and sunny in So Cal works for me just fine. I’ve never shoveled snow a day in my life. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac--I agree with this and your previous posts. No dispute. Especially, let us see what they look like after game 5. One other agreement; each game is a growing experience especially all those (Including the Ohio transfer) senior or below. Teaching never stops nor does learning---in Basketball and life. Thanks Carnac.
I expect Azzi, Caroline, Dorka and Aaliyah to settle down and settle in - in the next 2 weeks. Once they do, they along with Paige and Christyn can carry the team against anyone. That includes the elite teams as well. Sometime after the ND game. The issues and challenges they are having now will be addressed and solved by then. I think you’re going to like what you see this weekend. :) Their play will more closely resemble what we’re use to seeing from a Geno Auriemma coached team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom