Perspective - Article from Arkansas fan site | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Perspective - Article from Arkansas fan site

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Great interview by Neighbors. I think he is one the better coaches in the country. And I believe he is underrated in many circles. His team did not quit or fold. I think they will eventually crack the top 25. Not a team I would want to play come March.
Arkansas drastically underachieved last year and gave inconsistent efforts. His team beat both UCONN and Baylor, but finished only 6th in the SEC, lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to Ole Miss and lost to Wright State in the NCAA tournament.

He's a solid coach but I wouldn't consider him one of the better coaches in the country, nor would I call him underrated--he gets a lot of love from posters. I will say that I do think Arkansas will be dangerous and they could be a better team this year without a "me first" personality like Chelsea Dungee leading the team. Lots of young talent and his kids played hard yesterday, even if UCONN was steadily in control the whole way.

Reaction Score
Two fans (observers) can look at the same game and come away with two totally different takes. This game was a case in point. I also looked at Neighbor's post game presser. He and his team saw things completely different than many of our fans. He mentioned things that no one commented on yesterday in the post game thread. Takes are based on perspective. A jail or custodial facility looks different depending on your perspective.......that is which side of the bars you're on.

Those on the inside looking out have a much different vantage point (perspective) than those on the outside looking in. Or to put it more simply, a butt whuppin is viewed differently depending on whether you're giving it, or receiving it. ;) The Dallas Cowboys beat the Atlanta Falcons yesterday 43-3. I guarantee the two head coaches and all of the players saw that game differently depending which side of the score they were on. :rolleyes:

I read most of the post game posts yesterday. Most of them expressed legitimate concerns and observations. I think some posters are not taking into account that this was their first game, and expected our team to be clicking on all cylinders like it was February. I agree that the game exposed some areas that need to be addressed.

It's always been my take to not make any judgements on players until after the 5th game. 5 games is a large enough sample size to make decisions on a player's performance and or future performance. One game is not enough. Anyone can have a bad game, or be nervous that first time out. Everyone in the rotation will be exposed after the games this weekend in the Bahamas. Three games in three days will tell Geno all he wants/needs to know about his team. Then he can make adjustments/changes for the short term (until conference play begins). I have no doubts that Geno and hi staff will sort things out by this weekend.
While there is no doubt what you say is correct. It is also possible Geno was speaking to us and his players--sending a pointed message. The Arkansas coach was sending a message to his team and also acknowledging that Uconn is a very good team. Since he doesn't coach them he does not have to point out their weaknesses. Two points of view with very directed messages. The truth, as some of us biased Uconn fans see is a team that needs work on driving guards, and post strength. There was tremendous Positives to be taken from this game. Not the least of which were the kids. Azzi got her feet wet. She was NOT a deer in headlights. She will settle down. Caroline plays very good for the first game defense, it will improve. Muhl is trying too hard when the came comes to her she will be the lady we expect her to be. Geno too needs to relax a bit his trouble is US if we sit back and relax his job gets easier. All in all a 15 point win is a great win. Arkansas isn't a cupcake.

Reaction Score
Addendum....... The "waiting until after 5 games" is in reference to ME. Not Geno or his staff. They must make adjustments after every game (sometimes during a game). They see they players everyday. We only see them 40 minutes at a time once or twice a week. I need 5 games before I can form an honest and informed opinion about a player. One game tells me nothing.

The 3 most glaring aspects of the game to me:
1. We won the game. I'll take a 15 point win EVERY game for the rest of the year including the tournament, regardless of how our girls play. I wouldn't give a flip about how somebody looked or played if we win by 15. :D
2. UConn got the revenge they wanted.
3. No one got hurt. No one limped off, or had to be carried off the court. That is very important. We've got 3 games in 3 days coming up this weekend. We're going to need ALL HANDS ON DECK. Good or bad, every player will reveal themselves to the public this weekend.

#1 Stanford lost Sunday AT HOME to #25 Texas by 5. How do you think their players and fans feel this afternoon? :confused: I'll bet their fans are roasting their players like a steak. :mad: We're doing the same and we won.
I'm sorry but I just have a different take on it. To me it's not about seeing what individual players do after a certain number of games. It's about the defense being played by the team. They looked like they didn't know how to play it. It's about not a single charge taken against a team that drives at all costs. It's about the other team's offensive rebounds when they were greatly outsized.

Like Geno said the team forgot their defense back in Storrs. The defense just has to be so much better as a team to win it all. Otherwise a team that plays great defense and has a great day shooting can beat us. Sure it's early and we won, but we didn't win the way most of us wanted to, by shutting them down, not by outscoring them. Geno has a lot of work to do.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great interview by Neighbors. I think he is one the better coaches in the country. And I believe he is underrated in many circles. His team did not quit or fold. I think they will eventually crack the top 25. Not a team I would want to play come March.

We use to say "we have Diana and you don't." We can now say "we have Paige and you don't." It is that simple some times. Paige is the ultimate competitor never taking a play off. I did not see one shot that Paige took that was not in the flow of the game.

As to the rest. Geno knows what is to be done. Things will get fixed. This team is still developing their chemistry with the additions of Dorka, Azzi and Caroline. And we are missing Aubry and it seems we will be for a while longer.

And I'm glad that Geno doesn't schedule a bunch of cupcakes. Bring on the big programs and let's see were we stack up.
Arkansas was an excellent opening day opponent. I would like to see them become part of our OOC regulars. Arkansas is not a cupcake.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Arkansas was an excellent opening day opponent. I would like to see them become part of our OOC regulars. Arkansas is not a cupcake.
I agree with what you said, as we may need them to help teach our players defense. Taking in account all of LY and this game we just played, our two worst defensive games were against Arkansas. Maybe we can learn something from the game films, so I agree that we should try to set up a home and home with them. I believe that program will get better and become a contender in the SEC on a yearly basis. The more SEC teams we play each year the better. We should also look at Texas A&M and Georgia.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree with what you said, as we may need them to help teach our players defense. Taking in account all of LY and this game we just played, our two worst defensive games were against Arkansas. Maybe we can learn something from the game films, so I agree that we should try to set up a home and home with them. I believe that program will get better and become a contender in the SEC on a yearly basis. The more SEC teams we play each year the better. We should also look at Texas A&M and Georgia.
I’d look at Texas too. Vic Schaefer is putting a very competitive team together in Austin. With Mulkey gone and Gary Blair retiring at Texas A&M after this season, Schaefer just might become the “Don Vito Corleone“ of the state of Texas, allowing him to have the pick of the litter of the elite talent the longhorn state produces every year.

So far, Texas beat New Orleans by 95 points, and Stanford by 5. Very interested to see how they fair against Tennessee (in Knoxville) in 5 days (Nov 21) 1:00 pm ET ESPN. Tennessee is currently ranked #16.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Better than bring motivational speakers to Storr's ;)

Reaction Score
I’d look at Texas too. Vic Schaefer is putting a very competitive team together in Austin. With Mulkey gone and Gary Blair retiring at Texas A&M after this season, Schaefer just might become the “Don Vito Corleone“ of the state of Texas, allowing him to have the pick of the litter of the elite talent the longhorn state produces every year.

So far, Texas beat New Orleans by 95 points, and Stanford by 5. Very interested to see how they fair against Tennessee (in Knoxville) in 5 days (Nov 21) 1:00 pm ET ESPN. Tennessee is currently ranked #16.
The way Tennessee is playing, Texas will win by 50

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm sorry but I just have a different take on it. To me it's not about seeing what individual players do after a certain number of games. It's about the defense being played by the team. They looked like they didn't know how to play it. It's about not a single charge taken against a team that drives at all costs. It's about the other team's offensive rebounds when they were greatly outsized.

Like Geno said the team forgot their defense back in Storrs. The defense just has to be so much better as a team to win it all. Otherwise a team that plays great defense and has a great day shooting can beat us. Sure it's early and we won, but we didn't win the way most of us wanted to, by shutting them down, not by outscoring them. Geno has a lot of work to do.
My comments were directed at individual players, NOT the team. Individual players make up the team, and a 5 man unit on the floor at any given time. We know what the retuning players can do and what we'll get from them. I need a 4-5 game sample size to see what the freshmen and Dorka can do within the structure of our team, that is playing the type of offense and defense that Geno wants. Nika did not look like the Nika we saw at the end of the season last year. Aaliyah did not look like her old self either. Dorka failed to impress. I'm not going to make judgements from 1 game.

I agree that THE TEAM needs to play and execute better as a unit. Several times Azzi got beat and her man went by her to the basket where Liv did not stop her or pick her up. When Azzi's man got by her, she should have run directly into Liv, our rim protector. Liv didn't make any attempt to stop her. The player scored an easy lay up. I think Liv was afraid of picking up another foul.

That is what I mean by the starters and upperclassmen have to help or carry the newbies until they get their "sea legs." THAT will not happen in 1 game. Azzi and everyone else have to have confidence that if they get beat, Liv or whoever is guarding the paint has their back. That's the case in women's and men's basketball.

I was a post player. My guys knew that if they got beat, I'd pick up their man. THAT was my job. I'm either going to stop him, make him pass it, or shoot a shot he doesn't want to shoot. He's NOT getting a free pass to the rim. You don't have to block every shot. If you can make the payer change their shot, you've done your job. Liv has to guard the rim, and do it WITHOUT fouling. I saw her fly swat at a shot during the game (smh). Still has not learned after 3 years that fly swatting will put you on the bench with fouls.

Using that technique, you will almost surely foul the shooter. You NEVER try to block a shot while the ball is still in the player's hand. If you miss it, you're going to hit his hand and foul him. You aim for where the ball will be AFTER it leaves his hand. If you time it correctly like Paige did on her block, you don't foul the player, and you live to player another possession.

My first concern is ALWAYS to win the game. Second, that the team play good "in your face" defense, and hold the competition to 59 points or less. Any team is only as good as its weakest link. If the unit contains a player that can't keep their man in from of them, they are going to be exploited every time down the court. If you have a player that can't shoot free throws, that player is a liability late in a close game that may be decided by free throws. Remember, a player DOES NOT have to have the ball to get fouled. You can grab a player and get the ref's attention to get the foul called. We use to do it, and I've seen it done many times. Most refs will not call an intentional foul in that case, even though they should. :cool: It's perfectly OK if you don't agree with my view point. I appreciate your response.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Azzi defense needs a lot of work. She was getting beat and giving up on plays.
At the beginning of last season both Paige and Nika had problems keeping players in front of them and let the player have easy lay-ups or fouled them. At the end of the season they were very much improved. I see Azzi growing into that type of player with the tutelage from the coaching staff.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Arkansas drastically underachieved last year and gave inconsistent efforts. His team beat both UCONN and Baylor, but finished only 6th in the SEC, lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to Ole Miss and lost to Wright State in the NCAA tournament.

He's a solid coach but I wouldn't consider him one of the better coaches in the country, nor would I call him underrated--he gets a lot of love from posters. I will say that I do think Arkansas will be dangerous and they could be a better team this year without a "me first" personality like Chelsea Dungee leading the team. Lots of young talent and his kids played hard yesterday, even if UCONN was steadily in control the whole way.
Sort of a streaky team with some good talent that will make opponents work for a win.

Reaction Score
My comments were directed at individual players, NOT the team. Individual players make up the team, and a 5 man unit on the floor at any given time. We know what the retuning players can do and what we'll get from them. I need a 4-5 game sample size to see what the freshmen and Dorka can do within the structure of our team, that is playing the type of offense and defense that Geno wants. Nika did not look like the Nika we saw at the end of the season last year. Aaliyah did not look like her old self either. Dorka failed to impress. I'm not going to make judgements from 1 game.

I agree that THE TEAM needs to play and execute better as a unit. Several times Azzi got beat and her man went by her to the basket where Liv did not stop her or pick her up. When Azzi's man got by her, she should have run directly into Liv, our rim protector. Liv didn't make any attempt to stop her. The player scored an easy lay up. I think Liv was afraid of picking up another foul.

That is what I mean by the starters and upperclassmen have to help or carry the newbies until they get their "sea legs." THAT will not happen in 1 game. Azzi and everyone else have to have confidence that if they get beat, Liv or whoever is guarding the paint has their back. That's the case in women's and men's basketball.

I was a post player. My guys knew that if they got beat, I'd pick up their man. THAT was my job. I'm either going to stop him, make him pass it, or shoot a shot he doesn't want to shoot. He's NOT getting a free pass to the rim. You don't have to block every shot. If you can make the payer change their shot, you've done your job. Liv has to guard the rim, and do it WITHOUT fouling. I saw her fly swat at a shot during the game (smh). Still has not learned after 3 years that fly swatting will put you on the bench with fouls.

Using that technique, you will almost surely foul the shooter. You NEVER try to block a shot while the ball is still in the player's hand. If you miss it, you're going to hit his hand and foul him. You aim for where the ball will be AFTER it leaves his hand. If you time it correctly like Paige did on her block, you don't foul the player, and you live to player another possession.

My first concern is ALWAYS to win the game. Second, that the team play good "in your face" defense, and hold the competition to 59 points or less. Any team is only as good as its weakest link. If the unit contains a player that can't keep their man in from of them, they are going to be exploited every time down the court. If you have a player that can't shoot free throws, that player is a liability late in a close game that may be decided by free throws. Remember, a player DOES NOT have to have the ball to get fouled. You can grab a player and get the ref's attention to get the foul called. We use to do it, and I've seen it done many times. Most refs will not call an intentional foul in that case, even though they should. :cool: It's perfectly OK if you don't agree with my view point. I appreciate your response.
I actually agree with everything you said above. I was a guard and was always lucky to have good/great post players on my high school and college teams. My perspective was that Sunday it looked like, as a team, AAU defense. I found a disturbing similarity on Sunday to the defense we played last year against the same Arkansas team and against Arizona. Nobody beat anyone to the spot. No charges against a team that drives more than it does anything else. Poor boxing out. The defense was mostly retreat defense and backing up which is doomed against a driving team. If you take a charge or try to take one that offensive player will have that in their head the next time down. Plus, if your man gets past you on this team, you couldn't be more correct about Liv. Once that arm comes down in the swat it's a called foul whether it is or not.

We are going to score a lot of points this year but until I see a lock down, you ain't getting the ball, physical defense, I worry about the FF again. You can only outscore teams so many times. A bad shooting night by you and a great shooting night by them and it's over. The greatest teams ever in college, men and women, were also great defensive teams. Great defense allows you to win when your offense is only so-so. I guarantee you see a different defensive team against MinnieSnowda on Saturday..

Carnac

Reaction Score
I actually agree with everything you said above. I was a guard and was always lucky to have good/great post players on my high school and college teams. My perspective was that Sunday it looked like, as a team, AAU defense. I found a disturbing similarity on Sunday to the defense we played last year against the same Arkansas team and against Arizona. Nobody beat anyone to the spot. No charges against a team that drives more than it does anything else. Poor boxing out. The defense was mostly retreat defense and backing up which is doomed against a driving team. If you take a charge or try to take one that offensive player will have that in their head the next time down. Plus, if your man gets past you on this team, you couldn't be more correct about Liv. Once that arm comes down in the swat it's a called foul whether it is or not.

We are going to score a lot of points this year but until I see a lock down, you ain't getting the ball, physical defense, I worry about the FF again. You can only outscore teams so many times. A bad shooting night by you and a great shooting night by them and it's over. The greatest teams ever in college, men and women, were also great defensive teams. Great defense allows you to win when your offense is only so-so. I guarantee you see a different defensive team against MinnieSnowda on Saturday..
I agree 1000% with these comments. I watched the game again yesterday. I was appalled at some of the "matador" defense we played. On two occasions, I saw our post player casually STEP BACK out of the way of a Arkansas player driving to the basket (and both scored).
At the next time out when those players came to the bench, Geno was livid, as he should have been.

Even Jamelle Elliot was voicing her displeasure at the players. Our players had to be in fear of picking up another foul, but you can't retreat in the paint like that and just give up an uncontested basket, regardless of the score. We won, but Geno WAS NOT happy with the defensive display we played Sunday. Not everyone played poorly. Some of our girls played some defense.

The first two things I'm going to look for Saturday from our team:
1. A fast start. Jump on Minnesota early fast and hard. Insert foot on their neck and keep it there....... tip to buzzer. ;)
2. Lock down in your face defense. No concessions. Challenge EVERYTHING!!! Play like you're the # 2 ranked team in the country.

Carnac

Reaction Score
At the beginning of last season both Paige and Nika had problems keeping players in front of them and let the player have easy lay-ups or fouled them. At the end of the season they were very much improved. I see Azzi growing into that type of player with the tutelage from the coaching staff.
Sunday, I saw a couple of our newbies give up on their man as they were going around them. That can't happen. Geno should show the team what real man to man defense looks like.

All he has to do is show them clips of Kia Nurse and/or Moriah Jefferson sticking to their man throughout a play. Crystal Dangerfield became an elite lock-down defensive player in her junior year also. It took Saniya Chong 3 years to learn how to stay in front of her man to Geno's satisfaction.

We'll se how long it takes. Our opponents scout us too. They know (watch film of our latest game) who can do what, who is a liability, and who can be taken advantage of. I expect Minnesota to do a lot of driving to the basket until (unless) we prove to them that we can defend the paint. That might take a quarter. It might take a half, or it might not happen at all.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Sunday, I saw a couple of our newbies give up on their man as they were going around them. That can't happen. Geno should show the team what real man to man defense looks like.

All he has to do is show them clips of Kia Nurse and/or Moriah Jefferson sticking to their man throughout a play. Crystal Dangerfield became an elite lock-down defensive player in her junior year also. It took Saniya Chong 3 years to learn how to stay in front of her man to Geno's satisfaction. We'll se how long it takes Azzi.
It will be less than 3 years, I think she will come around sometime before we play in SC. Maybe even sooner.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It will be less than 3 years, I think she will come around sometime before we play in SC. Maybe even sooner.
She has to. We can't wait THAT long!!! :)

Reaction Score
Sunday, I saw a couple of our newbies give up on their man as they were going around them. Geno should show the team what real man to man defense looks like. All he has to do is show them clips of Kia Nurse or Moriah Jefferson sticking to their man throughout a play. Crystal Dangerfield became an elite lock-down defensive player in her junior year also. It took Saniya Chong 3 years to learn how to stay in front of her man to Geno's satisfaction. We'll se how long it takes Azzi.
Yes,
how about man-to-man on a ballhandler being akin to a boxer. The player has to figure out what works for them. 2 things that cannot happen is, playing so far off that you give up an open jumper and allowing the ballhandler to go by you. There is a wide "in-between" these 2 scenarios. Nika "solved" her problems last year by crowding the ball-handler. I would argue that it not only helped her but gave the team a real boost with her pressure out front. Paige has length and great anticipation, so she has learned (she probably figured it out in 10 minutes) to keep the ballhandler in front of her and get in the passing lanes for steals and also closeout on shooters. IMO Azzi will have to back off a step or two. She'll have to really concentrate on closeouts and like Paige, use her court sense to make an impact defensively. (kind of like what Diana does at age 40)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Azzi defense needs a lot of work. She was getting beat and giving up on plays.
I disagree about Azzi giving up. No way, take the time to relook at the game. Azzi's footwork was very bad, she had her feet flat on the court, often almost touching each of them together. She was unable to shift and follow the offensive player. There was no give up that I saw, just bad defensive fundamentals. She got beat, and beat badly at times, nothing that the coaches can't help Azzi correct. I hope we see better from her next game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes,
how about man-to-man on a ballhandler being akin to a boxer. The player has to figure out what works for them. 2 things that cannot happen is, playing so far off that you give up an open jumper and allowing the ballhandler to go by you. There is a wide "in-between" these 2 scenarios. Nika "solved" her problems last year by crowding the ball-handler. I would argue that it not only helped her but gave the team a real boost with her pressure out front. Paige has length and great anticipation, so she has learned (she probably figured it out in 10 minutes) to keep the ballhandler in front of her and get in the passing lanes for steals and also closeout on shooters. IMO Azzi will have to back off a step or two. She'll have to really concentrate on closeouts and like Paige, use her court sense to make an impact defensively. (kind of like what Diana does at age 40)
From your lips to Azzi's ears. Azzi has a very high BB IQ. It won't take her long to adjust to Geno's style of play. She already knows what her weaknesses are. I expect her to adjust and correct those challenges very very soon.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I saw two such plays in yesterday's game: one by Liv when she had 3 fouls and one by Aaliyah when she had 4 fouls. In both cases, they were deliberately trying not to risk getting yet another foul by contesting the shot.

Sometimes, when you are in foul trouble, it is better to concede 2 points than to take yourself out of the game, particularly if there is no one behind you on the bench who can carry your load.

When Geno yelled at Aaliyah, he obviously thought that she could have done more to contest the shot (like getting her hands up vertically) with minimal risk of getting a foul call. But at that point in the game, I think he was willing to have her foul out if that is what happened. But neither Liv nor Aaliyah were just giving up because they were too lazy to play defense.

Reaction Score
I disagree about Azzi giving up. No way, take the time to relook at the game. Azzi's footwork was very bad, she had her feet flat on the court, often almost touching each of them together. She was unable to shift and follow the offensive player. There was no give up that I saw, just bad defensive fundamentals. She got beat, and beat badly at times, nothing that the coaches can't help Azzi correct. I hope we see better from her next game.
2nd half and this happened a couple times
Ramirez drove right her and she stop and look as if she wanted help but realize there was no one there to help which wasn’t her fault. I think it was Dorka who was late on the play. But her body frame her defense the way she moves (a little quicker tho) heck even shoots reminds me of KML

Carnac

Reaction Score
I saw two such plays in yesterday's game: one by Liv when she had 3 fouls and one by Aaliyah when she had 4 fouls. In both cases, they were deliberately trying not to risk getting yet another foul by contesting the shot.

Sometimes, when you are in foul trouble, it is better to concede 2 points than to take yourself out of the game, particularly if there is no one behind you on the bench who can carry your load.

When Geno yelled at Aaliyah, he obviously thought that she could have done more to contest the shot (like getting her hands up vertically) with minimal risk of getting a foul call. But at that point in the game, I think he was willing to have her foul out if that is what happened. But neither Liv nor Aaliyah were just giving up because they were too lazy to play defense.
THAT was the play I was referring to.

Carnac

Reaction Score
2nd half and this happened a couple times
Ramirez drove right her and she stop and look as if she wanted help but realize there was no one there to help which wasn’t her fault. I think it was Dorka who was late on the play. But her body frame her defense the way she moves (a little quicker tho) heck even shoots reminds me of KML
That is EXACTLY what I meant when I said: "at times, the upperclassmen will have to carry the newbies until they get their sea-legs." If you get beat and your man goes around you to the basket, somebody on your team has got to have your back and pick that man up. That's not an unreasonable expectation.

Reaction Score
From your lips to Azzi's ears. Azzi has a very high BB IQ. It won't take her long to adjust to Geno's style of play. She already knows what her weaknesses are. I expect her to adjust and correct those challenges very very soon.
Wishing it too!
Trouble for me is that this stuff we're talking about is fundamental. Do you know if she played mostly zone in HS and/or AAU?
And, as I said in another thread, man-to-man fundamentals are things good programs practice from day 1 on. He can't do anything remotely sophisticated until they can at least do basic things like keep a ballhandler in front, or box out, or slide over to help, or challenge a shot. I'm always wanting UConn to press. (crickets on that so far)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom