Perspective - Article from Arkansas fan site | The Boneyard

Perspective - Article from Arkansas fan site

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And the Hogs played the Dogs even for the last 35 minutes of the game.
The point of the article, from Arkansas’s point of view, was that they were never ahead or never really in the game. After the first 5 minutes, I never had the feeling that the game was at risk for UConn, and neither did Mike Neighbors.

Reaction Score
Great recap. Sounds like a great coach
I think he is. They played us virtually even after the first 14-2 run. There was a huge talent and size gap. He uses a dribble drive to the basket offense and his team defends well. Interesting that he said in his post game that his team will understand now the importance of practicing at game speed. Who did it originally and famously? John Wooden. More modern disciples of the same approach? Jay Wright and Geno Auriemma.

Reaction Score
The point of the article, from Arkansas’s point of view, was that they were never ahead or never really in the game. After the first 5 minutes, I never had the feeling that the game was at risk for UConn, and neither did Mike Neighbors.
The article was a great find. Arkansas has nothing to hang their heads low about. With a few breaks, a few misses by P.B. and the game becomes win-able. AT UConn, homey crowd, 2 of the highest ranked players Azzi PB. and a superb supporting cast. Edwards, E, Caroline, Ohio Muhl, that showed this cast belongs with the big dogs. .The Hogs/Razorbacks will see the NCAA-how deep???
Great recap. Sounds like a great coach

Reaction Score
You don't think Neighbors thought his team had a chance down 4 pts with 4 to play in the half?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You don't think Neighbors thought his team had a chance down 4 pts with 4 to play in the half?
Mike Neighbors is a smart guy. I think he recognized that he was behind the eight ball as soon as UConn got off to a 17-2 lead. I’m not saying he didn’t think there was a chance, but I think he also knew that UConn could put there foot on the gas pedal at anytime, and Arkansas was going to be limited in their ability to respond.

Reaction Score
My perception of the game was: it was Paige B against Arkansas for 3 periods scoring 11 points per quarter. Obviously, there were other Huskies involved, but it appeared that Paige took over the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hand it to UConn opponents to put an accurate spin on the game. ;)
Two fans (observers) can look at the same game and come away with two totally different takes. This game was a case in point. I also looked at Neighbor's post game presser. He and his team saw things completely different than many of our fans. He mentioned things that no one commented on yesterday in the post game thread. Takes are based on perspective. A jail or custodial facility looks different depending on your perspective.......that is which side of the bars you're on.

Those on the inside looking out have a much different vantage point (perspective) than those on the outside looking in. Or to put it more simply, a butt whuppin is viewed differently depending on whether you're giving it, or receiving it. ;) The Dallas Cowboys beat the Atlanta Falcons yesterday 43-3. I guarantee the two head coaches and all of the players saw that game differently depending which side of the score they were on. :rolleyes:

I read most of the post game posts yesterday. Most of them expressed legitimate concerns and observations. I think some posters are not taking into account that this was their first game, and expected our team to be clicking on all cylinders like it was February. I agree that the game exposed some areas that need to be addressed.

It's always been my take to not make any judgements on players until after the 5th game. 5 games is a large enough sample size to make decisions on a player's performance and or future performance. One game is not enough. Anyone can have a bad game, or be nervous that first time out. Everyone in the rotation will be exposed after the games this weekend in the Bahamas. Three games in three days will tell Geno all he wants/needs to know about his team. Then he can make adjustments/changes for the short term (until conference play begins). I have no doubts that Geno and hi staff will sort things out by this weekend.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Paige had not been insanely hot yesterday Arkansas would have won that game. I watched Stanford lose to a young Texas team yesterday. They were something like 4 for 25 from the 3 point line. Pressure can do amazing things to people and especially young people. Arkansas absolutely was in that game and yes, I thought they could lose it and I bet Geno did also.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Paige had not been insanely hot yesterday Arkansas would have won that game. I watched Stanford lose to a young Texas team yesterday. They were something like 4 for 25 from the 3 point line. Pressure can do amazing things to people and especially young people. Arkansas absolutely was in that game and yes, I thought they could lose it and I bet Geno did also.
And if Stewie, Mo & Tuck weren’t Huskies, UConn would never have won 4 in a row, and UConn certainly wouldn’t have won 3 out of 4 had DT decided to stay closer to her CA home.

The point is, that Paige, like the Big 3 and DT, came to UConn for the opportunity to play in big games and succeed. Suggesting that things would be different if they weren’t at UConn is like trying to create an alternate universe that doesn’t exist.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Two fans (observers) can look at the same game and come away with two totally different takes. This game was a case in point. I also looked at Neighbor's post game presser. He and his team saw things completely different than many of our fans. He mentioned things that no one commented on yesterday in the post game thread. Takes are based on perspective. A jail or custodial facility looks different depending on your perspective.......that is which side of the bars you're on.

Those on the inside looking out have a much different vantage point (perspective) than those on the outside looking in. Or to put it more simply, a butt whuppin is viewed differently depending on whether you're giving it, or receiving it. ;) The Dallas Cowboys beat the Atlanta Falcons yesterday 43-3. I guarantee the two head coaches and all of the players saw that game differently depending which side of the score they were on. :rolleyes:

I read most of the post game posts yesterday. Most of them expressed legitimate concerns and observations. I think some posters are not taking into account that this was their first game, and expected our team to be clicking on all cylinders like it was February. I agree that the game exposed some areas that need to be addressed.

It's always been my take to not make any judgements on players until after the 5th game. 5 games is a large enough sample size to make decisions on a player's performance and or future performance. One game is not enough. Anyone can have a bad game, or be nervous that first time out. Everyone in the rotation will be exposed after the games this weekend in the Bahamas. Three games in three days will tell Geno all he wants/needs to know about his team. Then he can make adjustments/changes for the short term (until conference play begins). I have no doubts that Geno and hi staff will sort things out by this weekend.
Addendum....... The "waiting until after 5 games" is in reference to ME. Not Geno or his staff. They must make adjustments after every game (sometimes during a game). They see they players everyday. We only see them 40 minutes at a time once or twice a week. I need 5 games before I can form an honest and informed opinion about a player. One game tells me nothing.

The 3 most glaring aspects of the game to me:
1. We won the game. I'll take a 15 point win EVERY game for the rest of the year including the tournament, regardless of how our girls play. I wouldn't give a flip about how somebody looked or played if we win by 15. :D
2. UConn got the revenge they wanted.
3. No one got hurt. No one limped off, or had to be carried off the court. That is very important. We've got 3 games in 3 days coming up this weekend. We're going to need ALL HANDS ON DECK. Good or bad, every player will reveal themselves to the public this weekend.

#1 Stanford lost Sunday AT HOME to #25 Texas by 5. How do you think their players and fans feel this afternoon? :confused: I'll bet their fans are roasting their players like a steak. :mad: We're doing the same and we won.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Well said. One additional point that sometimes escapes some UConn fans is that our opponents are often talented teams that aren’t going to roll over just because they’re facing UConn. Arkansas is a good team with a good coach who scores lots of points against just about everyone they play.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Paige decided to be a spectator for a full half like last years game, then yes I would be a nut case. Once I saw Paige look like a NPOY in the 2nd Q, I had no doubt even if they kept it close. Just me.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Azzi defense needs a lot of work. She was getting beat and giving up on plays.
Agreed. I noticed that too. Like so many freshmen coming in the WCBB, they need to make that adjustment to the speed of the game, and to some of its quickest players. Look how long it's taken Christyn to be able to stay in front of a player.

Azzi must and will learn how to move her feet fast enough (and anticipate which direction the player is going) to keep from getting beat like she was yesterday. That's why the upperclassmen should have her back and carry her until she is able to make that adjustment. Not just her, but ALL freshmen.

Every freshman is not a Kia Nurse or a Moriah Jefferson. They were able to play defense soon after their arrival on campus as freshmen. High school players are NOT taught or expected to play "UConn" defense, especially the star players. They are OK just scoring lots of points and helping their team win. Defense be dammed.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Great interview by Neighbors. I think he is one the better coaches in the country. And I believe he is underrated in many circles. His team did not quit or fold. I think they will eventually crack the top 25. Not a team I would want to play come March.

We use to say "we have Diana and you don't." We can now say "we have Paige and you don't." It is that simple some times. Paige is the ultimate competitor never taking a play off. I did not see one shot that Paige took that was not in the flow of the game.

As to the rest. Geno knows what is to be done. Things will get fixed. This team is still developing their chemistry with the additions of Dorka, Azzi and Caroline. And we are missing Aubry and it seems we will be for a while longer.

And I'm glad that Geno doesn't schedule a bunch of cupcakes. Bring on the big programs and let's see were we stack up.

Reaction Score
If Paige decided to be a spectator for a full half like last years game, then yes I would be a nut case. Once I saw Paige look like a NPOY in the 2nd Q, I had no doubt even if they kept it close. Just me.
Some of these comments make me worry that we don't really understand what we're seeing on the floor in Paige. Are you saying that if she's not scoring, she's not a NPOY and if she's not scoring, she's taking the half off. Come on man.
She's the maestro. She's the conductor. She controls the game. If she has the space to flow, like she does most of the time, then she basically can do whatever she wants to do. Pass, shoot, drive, whatever. There is no way to stop her, except to grind our whole team to a stop, like AZ did to us. She's got too much game. (Geno has to have some sort of ace-in-the hole when teams physically slow our offense down.) Her instincts are to be a facilitator and thus get everyone involved in the flow of the offense. That's her default. We've seen it enough to know, that she can score and will take the onus to score when she has to.
IMO her greatest "gift" or "gift to the game" is her court awareness, vision, IQ. (words don't do it justice, maybe because it is so rare that not a lot of words have been applied to it)
She's my Larry. How many people get to see two such players in their lifetimes? I saw Russell in '68-'69. He may have had IT too?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The glaring weakness I saw in Uconn was their team defense in pick and roll. The communication between the guards and forwards/posts was terrible with none knowing if they were switching, hedging, and when to switch back if they had switched. That is fixable and not a surprising issue in the first game of the year.

Was also concerned about help defense, and was a little surprised not to see any zone even with a team that is good on their perimeter shots. To some degree I think Geno wanted to play straight up and was willing to give up the drives to prevent the penetration and dish out to the 3 point line.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
We were told by coaches and players before and after this game that: using more players in the rotation was going to make play a little more ragged; having two posts in the line-up was going to create problems for one of our posts against this particular team; a point of emphasis was preventing 3 pointers.

This was indeed telling it like it is for us, as once we got beyond the starting line-up things got a little ragged; our posts kept fouling when there were two of them in the game; and Arkansas did not shoot well from 3.

We also witnessed the starting line-up outscore Arkansas 29 - 7 at the start of the first and third quarters, before the foul trouble started digging into our reserves. Bueckers only scored 4 of those 29 points, or less than her "fair share." Considering that we have been victimized by slow starts in the recent past this should have come as good news. Rather than the hypothetical "without Bueckers we lose," we could have just as well come up with the hypothetical that "if we stick with our starters we quadruple them and Bueckers does not even have to score much."

Some are alarmed about the 80 points Arkansas scored, but they shot around 38% overall, a respectable goal for our defense against a good opponent, but at the cost of our posts fouling against a guard dominated offense that our inexperienced guards could not contain. You get to 80 despite shooting 38% by a game plan that creates a lot of possessions, a somewhat chaotic, quick score game plan that creates a problem for inexperienced players, but can backfire against experienced ones, which is precisely what we witnessed.

Had there been an average amount of possessions with the same shooting percentage, the final score might have been something like 77 - 65. Or, if those fewer possessions came at the expense of less possessions for our inexperienced crew, the final score might have been something like 80 - 60.

I see nothing from this one game that translates into automatic alarm against a team with decent bigs. Other teams like Arkansas could spell trouble if: 1. our inexperienced guards do not get sufficiently experienced over the course of the season; and/or 2. we cannot rely on what was really a very impressive starting line-up when the game is tight.

Reaction Score
The glaring weakness I saw in Uconn was their team defense in pick and roll. The communication between the guards and forwards/posts was terrible with none knowing if they were switching, hedging, and when to switch back if they had switched. That is fixable and not a surprising issue in the first game of the year.

Was also concerned about help defense, and was a little surprised not to see any zone even with a team that is good on their perimeter shots. To some degree I think Geno wanted to play straight up and was willing to give up the drives to prevent the penetration and dish out to the 3 point line.
I would argue that there is no rule that zone defense is not good against shooting teams. Just means your players have responsibilities in an area of the court instead of to a player. Zone can make it easier to spot up on shooters, especially if the zone communicates well.
The analogy in zone to the "dribble-drive kick" is when the O gets the ball inside against the zone (in the middle) and then the "flasher" finds the open player on the perimeter.
I like man -to -man better because I like to pressure the ball and to deny the wings and basically get in the passing lanes, includig fronting the post. Old school- Bobby Knight, Coach K stuff. UConn doesn't do much of any of that anyway. They get steals in the passing lanes, but they don't deny the wings or front posts or put much pressure on the ball. At least not yet.
Maybe they'd be a great zone team!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well said. One additional point that sometimes escapes some UConn fans is that our opponents are often talented teams that aren’t going to roll over just because they’re facing UConn. Arkansas is a good team with a good coach who scores lots of points against just about everyone they play.
By no means am I throwing shade at our BY brethren. They all have the right to express their opinions and concerns, and I’m always interested in reading them. I agree with 80% of the posts. A few IMO were just a wee-bit over the top after 1 game. It’s still early.

Things will work themselves out. I don’t count the exhibition game against a Division 2 opponent. I think by this time next week, the rotation should be set for meaningful minutes playing time. Like the Somali pirate kept telling Captain Phillips all through the movie, “everything is going to be alright.” :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom