Men - Penders needs to be suspended | The Boneyard

Men Penders needs to be suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If Petersen said he wasn't available, he wouldn't be out there. He wanted the ball to win a regional.
I'm sure he did. I'm also quite confident that a) he may not be able to realize that he could be reaching a point of fatigue where severe damage is imminent and b) even if he was starting to tire, he wouldn't say anything.

It can't be the pitcher's decision there.

Reaction Score
Should he be fired for going to the Super Regionals. You manage work loads during the season, so your pitcher doesn’t need to have one by the tournament you do what you gotta do to advance.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
If Penders should be fired for it, then the coaches at Texas State, Stanford, Oregon State, Maryland, Wake Forest, etc should be fired as well. Augie Garrido and Wayne Graham should be spending their retirement days in prison.

Look, I don't love it either (especially when we have a capable pen, unlike UMD who had no choice if they didn't want to give up 20 today), but that's the game. We're a big boy program...we're doing what the other programs are doing to have a chance to compete for a national title.

Reaction Score
109 pitches on Friday. Over 50 pitches today. It's inexcusable. The AD needs to step in and protect the athletes.
ok, pitching guru! from another school in our conference? ... it was his throw day. I'm so glad you have taken over as the expert on what every pitcher is capable of!

Reaction Score
I'm sure he did. I'm also quite confident that a) he may not be able to realize that he could be reaching a point of fatigue where severe damage is imminent and b) even if he was starting to tire, he wouldn't say anything.

It can't be the pitcher's decision there.
He’s not 10 years old. This is BS. Coaches across the country did the same thing today.

Reaction Score
I played higher level baseball than most people here. I know what this kind of crap does to the players. Other coaches doing it doesn't make it better. It's wrong. It shouldn't happen.

Reaction Score
I played higher level baseball than most people here. I know what this kind of crap does to the players. Other coaches doing it doesn't make it better. It's wrong. It shouldn't happen.
As many already covered here this happened across the country today… but maybe they should have even been more clear… UConn put Peterson in (pitched Friday and you’re losing your mind over it) but no mention of Maryland pitching their Saturday starter today… completely ridiculous comment for almost too many reasons to mention (teams all over the country took it to a far greater extreme than Penders did and has been the case for years - oh right, then let’s suspend everyone and especially Penders cause uhhh others doing terrible things doesn’t give Penders the license to do a less terrible thing / something that might not actually have been bad at all given very well might be Peterson’s throwing day but…. Yea)… Penders and his pitching coach I’m guessing played higher level baseball than you so I’ll go with their judgment on this one as opposed to taking your argument to its logical conclusion which would require suspending every team’s manager who played today (or something like that)….

Reaction Score
It’s his throw day. Also there are men younger than him who have been drafted by major league teams who are already throwing more than once a week and more innings a year than some college pitchers.
This kind of thing happens once a year it’s not a big deal.
Also on two days rest Derek Lowe threw 6 one-hit innings against the Yankees in game 7 of the ALCS. That may not be relevant to this in some peoples minds because he’s a professional, but i did at least want to remind Yankees fans of that oft-forgotten part of the miraculous 04 ALCS comeback

Reaction Score
"other people do morally questionable things so when our team does it it's ok"

"it was his throw day" mhmm because a throw day and an intense game situation are totally the same thing

"he's a young kid it's fine" mhmm that's why all these kids are ruining their arms and getting tommy john in HS and college

Reaction Score
First off, what kind of person after the program’s biggest win in over a decade starts a thread as absurd, as inflammatory, as accusatory as this one… towards a coach who is universally respected in the sport and has a long track record of not doing precisely what you’re accusing him of… the best answer would be a troll because the other options are worse… this whole thread should be shut down

Regarding your last post

1) “Morally questionable?” Have you considered the possibility that your entire premise may be wrong (as hard as it may be to believe)? You know for a fact Peterson is definitively overworked cause one time he threw 50 pitches on short rest? Definitive enough that Benedict should suspend Penders to save the kids (actually laughed out loud at this thought)? You don’t think widely respected baseball lifers like Penders and his staff have the wherewithal to make a one off call on a guy pitching on short rest on his throw day without compromising his arm health but somehow you can read the situation better? I mean maybe if we pitched our Saturday starter (like Maryland) you’d have a better case but even then how would you know? Not to mention we didn’t… Then again, maybe you’re simply omniscient and the joke is on us!

2) Who said throw day and a high leverage situation in a winner take all game were the same? Certainly not me… and didn’t see anyone else say precisely that either. Doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be considered in the broader context and factored in when considering the decision (for again, a one-off occurrence)… sometimes nuanced thinking is required…

3) I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s ok to overwork arms to the point of abuse just cause the pitcher happens to be young (and I certainly don’t condone that and yes there are times it happens)…but again I disagree with your premise that this was abuse of Peterson - there’s no way for you to know that and no significant evidence to support that notion…. Separately, people have very different ideas as to what constitutes “overwork”… I’m not interested in wading into that debate…

Reaction Score
This is just so mind-numbingly dumb. One massive, completely anonymous troll who is acting like they’re the Mother Theresa of College baseball, preaching and bleating on (I repeat, anonymously) as if Penders cut them from them baseball team and they’re still salty about it. Time for this thread to be deleted so we can focus on the outrageously impressive feat this team has accomplished, rather than wasting our precious time on earth on this loser.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
109 pitches on Friday. Over 50 pitches today. It's inexcusable. The AD needs to step in and protect the athletes.
I am not pleased that AP threw 50 pitches last night, Off 2 days rest. MD, however, threw a starter off 1 day rest twice against us. TWICE. My point isn’t that two wrongs make a right. My point is that it’s not realistic to think a coach or a program are going to play with one arm tied behind their backs and not take advantage of opportunities that their competitors are. NCAA baseball isn’t a morality test — it’s big time sports.

I would like to never see what happened last night happen again for the good of the future of the players. But if you want it to change, you need to look to the NCAA for pitch count rules, rather than blame coaches for trying to win within the rules.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Seems as if the OP doesn't realize he said Penders should be suspended.

If he just wanted to complain about the pitch count, many might concur.

But he chose to say Penders should be suspended, which is just plain stupid. Like he doesn't know the rules and he's oblivious to reality.

Furthermore, as already pointed out, it's his throwing day. How does a self described high level college player not understand what that means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom