OT: - Peloton reviews? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Peloton reviews?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Just a thought, but do you already own an actual bike? If so, direct-drive smart trainers (where you take the rear wheel off and attach your drivetrain to a cassette on the trainer) have come a LONG way. I bought an Elite trainer for $799 and pay $14.99 / mo for a Zwift subscription and I really like it. Since the trainer is fully bluetooth enabled, it was brainless plug-and -play with an old MacBook. It was up and running in about 10 minutes out of the box, and it's been flawless over 3 months.

Elite Suito review

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
The people I know who own it, love it.

I have rollers and a trainer for my road bike and I find any kind of riding indoors to be so insanely boring that I would rather ride in a snowstorm than endure it for even an hour.

Personally, I would spend the money on something you can use outdoors, but you do sound like something of a candy ass, so the Peloton may work for you? Is there any place you can try it out first?
They do have retail stores - one in Westport, but they are closed!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just a thought, but do you already own an actual bike? If so, direct-drive smart trainers (where you take the rear wheel off and attach your drivetrain to a cassette on the trainer) have come a LONG way. I bought an Elite trainer for $799 and pay $14.99 / mo for a Zwift subscription and I really like it. Since the trainer is fully bluetooth enabled, it was brainless plug-and -play with an old MacBook. It was up and running in about 10 minutes out of the box, and it's been flawless over 3 months.

Elite Suito review
I have a decent mountain bike (Gary Fisher "Big Sur") but I don't think it would be good for that purpose; and I want to keep that ready for riding outdoors, so this would be a bit too involved for me.

The thing I love most about running is that there are so few barriers to doing it and I have several options in terms of treadmill or four regular outdoor routes depending on where I am, so as long as I always have my bag with my running gear with me I am good to go. That's what made Planet Fitness easy, too; again I just always have my gym bag packed and on me, so I could hop into any one of them no matter where I was.

What I am trying to figure out with the Peloton is whether it will be that easy and have few barriers to prevent me from using it. Because that's what I need.

Reaction Score
OVERRATED **CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP**

My bike is a fraction the cost and does the exact same thing. Since I can get the subscription either way, makes no sense to invest that much in the bike.

Reaction Score
OVERRATED **CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP**

Never did understand that chant. Seems like its really putting down your own team. (if our crappy team can beat you, you must really be bad)

Reaction Score
Got one for my wife. She loves it. I hate working out but have used it to take rides through the south of France ect... Lots of classes- something for everyone. Easy to sneak in a work out - it does kick ur ass.
My wife has a global job and has been working 15 hour days from home so it's been great for her.

I put it in the corner of a spare room. Screen is large so you don't need a lot of open space like the commercials. It has a pretty small footprint so can go almost anywhere in house. It not cheap- but it lives up to expectations.
So you're that guy...

Reaction Score
Thanks. I had been curious about them because my joints are taking a beating now that all I am doing is running, and a friend happened to call me this morning to say they are running some friends and family deal where you get 50% off the bike, so I gather the bike is $1200 instead of something like $2400 normally. Obviously still need the other gear and subscription, and it looks like there is an individual digital membership for $13 a month or multi-user for $39 a month. Sounds like at least two of my daughters are also interested so that's what we'd be doing.
This bike has been a savior for my knees. I had got to the point where I was getting special injections to deal with knee arthritis. I always hated cycling, but I love my peloton and the strength I've built in my quads has eliminated all knee pain. I couldn't be happier with the purchase and the convenience makes it really hard not to work out.

Reaction Score
Coming up on 18 months for my wife and I, we both ride 5+ times a week and do the stretching/strength/yoga on the app occasionally as well. I'm a metrics/data guy and you can download all your rides/workouts and related data into a spreadsheet so you can spend an irrational amount of time analyzing the results as you try to improve various levels of your fitness (that would be me with the irrational amount of time). We like the flexibility of it...can't get back to sleep at 5am? Jump on for a 20 minute climb. Tough day at work? Jump on for a 30 minute high intensity ride when you get home. Tired on Sunday morning after a rough Saturday night? Jump on for a 20 minute low impact ride. Something for everyone and every mood and time frame. We are hooked...but we also got a relatively good financing deal at the right time...I highly recommend. Interesting note during the virus shut down, no more live rides at present (their NYC and London studios are shut down) but most of the instructors are very engaged in social media to keep you interested and motivated. There are thousands of on-demand rides to pick from anyway...as I said, something for everyone.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have a nice mountain bike and ride outdoors often, but not regularly enough to make it a fitness solution for me. I also prefer exercising outside and that's where I like to do most of my runs, but I mix in the treadmill for half of my daily distance most week days to go a little easier on my joints. I'm not a natural runner and it's starting to wear on my body; I've had to rehab and recover from a nagging lower leg issue in the calf/Achilles junction twice in the past six months and I really want to avoid that because it's a bad thing for everyone when I can't exercise daily. After running four miles outside both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend I tweaked my back just sitting at my computer desk, so yeah I guess my candy ass needs another option in the mix.

I've often thought about investing in a nice road bike, but I will admit that the number of accidents among friends, clients and acquaintances (not to mention JC's accidents) has dissuaded me a bit. I've occasionally used stationary bikes similar to the Peloton, but not nearly as nice, in hotel gyms while traveling for work. Not sure where I'd be able to try one of these during the shutdown, and that's when I want to start it.

I actually do not disagree about the car issues.

I have almost been hit dozens of times. Twice, someone I was riding with was hit. (Same guy, both times! He also got hit once when we were running. I feel safer with him because the cars go straight for him.)

If the money is fine, go for it. Good to try it out first, if possible.

Reaction Score
Coming up on 18 months for my wife and I, we both ride 5+ times a week and do the stretching/strength/yoga on the app occasionally as well. I'm a metrics/data guy and you can download all your rides/workouts and related data into a spreadsheet so you can spend an irrational amount of time analyzing the results as you try to improve various levels of your fitness (that would be me with the irrational amount of time). We like the flexibility of it...can't get back to sleep at 5am? Jump on for a 20 minute climb. Tough day at work? Jump on for a 30 minute high intensity ride when you get home. Tired on Sunday morning after a rough Saturday night? Jump on for a 20 minute low impact ride. Something for everyone and every mood and time frame. We are hooked...but we also got a relatively good financing deal at the right time...I highly recommend. Interesting note during the virus shut down, no more live rides at present (their NYC and London studios are shut down) but most of the instructors are very engaged in social media to keep you interested and motivated. There are thousands of on-demand rides to pick from anyway...as I said, something for everyone.
I've only done a couple live rides. I was pissed (not really) that I didn't get a shout out on my century ride which fell on my birthday! I prefer the recorded rides because I like seeing the metrics range that we're supposed to be on (that was a great addition since we first got the bike). But if you like the live rides, my wife has done a couple Encore rides and she got a couple high fives from the instructor who was a participant in the class.

Reaction Score
We have a ProForm Studio Bike Pro in our home gym that my girlfriend uses a ton. They offer interest free financing that includes their own class subscription service called "iFit".

It's got the digital resistance, same as the Peloton, built in screen, everything. There's a large variety of classes on the service as well. I'd say it does a good job at imitating what you get in a Peloton at half the price.

Reaction Score
I love my peloton bike. I've had it for 3 years. It's the only exercise I've ever stuck with.

Reaction Score
We have a Peloton our family uses and they like it a lot. I use it occasionally but don’t love it because I’m more of a strength and endurance athlete. I hooked up the screen to mirror to a large screen tv in the room though fire stick for the yoga, stretching, etc and that works well. They have a lot of workouts to choose from. I find them short and intense and always rate them highly when I ride them. But five days a week I’m on Zwift in the winter months training. Zwift now also has running which can be used on any treadmill. Peloton is $45/month and Zwift is $15 but you can’t really compare the two. If you use them they’re both worth it. Peloton is an excellent product, high quality, never had a problem. I’ve also stayed in city hotels where they have Peloton bikes you can use with your account. That is a great thing. Good luck. DM me if you have any questions.

Reaction Score
I actually do not disagree about the car issues.

I have almost been hit dozens of times. Twice, someone I was riding with was hit. (Same guy, both times! He also got hit once when we were running. I feel safer with him because the cars go straight for him.)

If the money is fine, go for it. Good to try it out first, if possible.
Sounds like a lucky guy to keep around.

Reaction Score
Can confirm there is a friends/family rate for refurb bikes, which are just bikes returned under the 30 day policy. The rate is $1500, but they are running an additional $250 off promo right now. I paid $1,332 after tax. I lucked out and was able to take advantage through a friend of a friend. Interestingly they wouldn’t deliver it directly to me (not sure if that was due to my friend being the “connected” one, or an issue with my actual location and their delivery area) - so both my buddy’s bike and mine had to go to his place and I went and picked it up (more of an ordeal than I expected - awkward shape and the thing weighs ~150 lbs).
Bike might as well be brand new, so if you’ve been on the fence and can find someone to hook you up with the refurb rate, it’s a great deal ...though still obviously a hefty check to write.
6DFE6548-322C-42A9-85E8-A9C84F8DC3A1.jpeg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Can confirm there is a friends/family rate for refurb bikes, which are just bikes returned under the 30 day policy. The rate is $1500, but they are running an additional $250 off promo right now. I paid $1,332 after tax. I lucked out and was able to take advantage through a friend of a friend. Interestingly they wouldn’t deliver it directly to me (not sure if that was due to my friend being the “connected” one, or an issue with my actual location and their delivery area) - so both my buddy’s bike and mine had to go to his place and I went and picked it up (more of an ordeal than I expected - awkward shape and the thing weighs ~150 lbs).
Bike might as well be brand new, so if you’ve been on the fence and can find someone to hook you up with the refurb rate, it’s a great deal ...though still obviously a hefty check to write.
Yes, this is the same deal I got ($1,250 plus tax). They also offer 39-month financing for 0% interest and no prepayment penalty, so that was a no-brainer for me.

I think your delivery issue has to do with the delivery area, because the first question they asked me was my zip code in order to determine whether I could get the deal. I ordered it yesterday and am waiting for delivery, which is currently set up for early June but I am told to expect it much sooner as they slot me in to cancellations. My buddy who turned me on to the deal was initially given a delivery date in the same range and ended up getting it delivered within two weeks, so I'm hoping to have it by mid-May or sooner.

Reaction Score
Yes, this is the same deal I got ($1,250 plus tax). They also offer 39-month financing for 0% interest and no prepayment penalty, so that was a no-brainer for me.

I think your delivery issue has to do with the delivery area, because the first question they asked me was my zip code in order to determine whether I could get the deal. I ordered it yesterday and am waiting for delivery, which is currently set up for early June but I am told to expect it much sooner as they slot me in to cancellations. My buddy who turned me on to the deal was initially given a delivery date in the same range and ended up getting it delivered within two weeks, so I'm hoping to have it by mid-May or sooner.

Yes, when we ordered we had to select a date online - the earliest option was late May. Our friend at Peloton then went into the system and changed our delivery date so we got them on Monday (we ordered on Friday). So you are probably right, he probably saw someone’s cancellation and took the slot for us.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Please let us know if it comes with one of the beautiful 6' models they have riding them in the commercials. You know those women that really look like they need a bike to lose a half ounce or so of body fat.

Reaction Score
my wife was begging me for one a couple years ago, so I reluctantly bought one.

Flash forward, I use it way more than she does, which isn’t saying much because she’s maybe used it 10 times since we bought it. I use it 2-3x per week and really like it. It gets a ton of work out of you, almost comparable to the amount of work a good coach would. it’s great to have something in the house - truly a game changer. I highly recommend it. it’s pricey yes, but worth it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom