OT: - Peloton reviews? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Peloton reviews?

Reaction Score
You don't have Wi-Fi already in your house?

I got the bike for half price and they threw in two months of the subscription for free because of their delay in being able to deliver the bike.

I am canceling my gym membership because I have no desire to be back in a closed environment with people sweating and breathing heavily. That savings alone halves the price of my Peloton subscription. Plus I can have endless users on my Peloton subscription, which is great for us because two of my daughters are getting into it now.

I have two to three pairs of running shoes in rotation at all times; they last less than a year.

I still jog/walk/hike several times a week, but I wanted the Peloton to give my legs a break from the impact. I would also have considered a home rowing machine, but the Peloton deal came my way first. I believe a commercial stairmaster like the one I use at the gym (Cybex Arc Trainer) is much, much more expensive than either a Peloton or rowing machine.

As others have noted, the Peloton screen and streaming content are really excellent. For me and my daughters who also use it, it makes a huge difference in terms of motivating you to get on the bike and providing instruction.

I'm also really digging the arms workouts. I've never been a weight-training guy and I scoffed at the fact that the heaviest dumbbells that I could order with the Peloton were 3lbs. Now two weeks in, doing some type of arms workout every other day, I am definitely feeling it. I'm also feeling a lot more of a core workout than I ever got with running, arc trainer or elliptical.

Instead of dreading my daily runs because I felt like I was beating my body up, I now look forward to mixing them in a few times a week, and I feel better before, during and after them than I did when I was running almost every day.

Hey @Deepster , you mentioned getting into a groove recently--who are your favorite Peloton instructors? As I sample them I notice that I have a much easier time syncing with some than others.
I can see where it would suit some people's lifestyle, it doesn't suit mine. I like getting out, and don't like a slick commercial that tries to sell me a very expensive virtual exercise package based on a stationary bike that tries very hard to be cool and tries to convince me I have my own instructor leading a spinning class, but in reality keeps me at home even more. Compare that to my gym membership which is $1.84 a week, and on a busy day since reopening has 10 people in it, with about 30 or 40 feet between me and the next person. Combine that with running or biking outside, we live in a very rural area in Litchfield county so seeing a car on the road is a big deal, and I see more other runners than cars, and everyone waves to everyone else. I'm sure the horses, cows, and Black Angus would wave too if they could. Lol. I will agree that a new Stairmaster is not cheap but my gym has two that are always open, it's rare when both are in use. Everyone at the gym gets their own disinfectant spray bottle, which are also disinfected after every use. Most people wear masks but they're not mandatory, and I see more seniors there than you would think. I would say one third are seniors. After closing, my gym has a disinfectant system that is released into the air that supposedly disinfects the entire gym, floors, ceilings, walls, machines, etc.

Good luck, stay safe. If I was going to buy some exercise machine for my house it would be the Concept 2 rower, very inexpensive compared to a Peloton or Stairmaster.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can see where it would suit some people's lifestyle, it doesn't suit mine. I like getting out, and don't like a slick commercial that tries to sell me a very expensive virtual exercise package based on a stationary bike that tries very hard to be cool and tries to convince me I have my own instructor leading a spinning class, but in reality keeps me at home even more. Compare that to my gym membership which is $1.84 a week, and on a busy day since reopening has 10 people in it, with about 30 or 40 feet between me and the next person. Combine that with running or biking outside, we live in a very rural area in Litchfield county so seeing a car on the road is a big deal, and I see more other runners than cars, and everyone waves to everyone else. I'm sure the horses, cows, and Black Angus would wave too if they could. Lol. I will agree that a new Stairmaster is not cheap but my gym has two that are always open, it's rare when both are in use. Everyone at the gym gets their own disinfectant spray bottle, which are also disinfected after every use. Most people wear masks but they're not mandatory, and I see more seniors there than you would think. I would say one third are seniors. After closing, my gym has a disinfectant system that is released into the air that supposedly disinfects the entire gym, floors, ceilings, walls, machines, etc.

Good luck, stay safe. If I was going to buy some exercise machine for my house it would be the Concept 2 rower, very inexpensive compared to a Peloton or Stairmaster.
No question, mixing it up and finding what you like to keep it interesting and effective for you is the key.

The Concept 2 rower is either $900 or $1,100 depending on model; I paid $1,200 for my Peloton.

Re the streaming content and instructors, all I can say is that it works for me. The gym worked fine for me pre-Covid but I never loved it. This is easier for me, and more comfortable for now. I love being outdoors and I love my runs, but this is a good thing for me to alternate.

I wouldn't be concerned about surface transmission at the gym; just the air.

Reaction Score
Back at the gym today and one of the first people I see is the 83 year old Russian guy who is the strongest bench presser in America for his age. You wonder who you will see again, especially when it's someone who is much older. Seeing him healthy and getting after it made me happy. He was lifting 2 and a half plates on each side of the shoulder press machine like it was nothing, the guy is an animal.

Reaction Score
No question, mixing it up and finding what you like to keep it interesting and effective for you is the key.

The Concept 2 rower is either $900 or $1,100 depending on model; I paid $1,200 for my Peloton.

Re the streaming content and instructors, all I can say is that it works for me. The gym worked fine for me pre-Covid but I never loved it. This is easier for me, and more comfortable for now. I love being outdoors and I love my runs, but this is a good thing for me to alternate.

I wouldn't be concerned about surface transmission at the gym; just the air.

$1200? How did you manage that? A new Peloton costs $2300, and I think that's just for the bike.

Reaction Score
Back at the gym today and one of the first people I see is the 83 year old Russian guy who is the strongest bench presser in America for his age. You wonder who you will see again, especially when it's someone who is much older. Seeing him healthy and getting after it made me happy. He was lifting 2 and a half plates on each side of the shoulder press machine like it was nothing, the guy is an animal.

What does he bench?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
$1200? How did you manage that? A new Peloton costs $2300, and I think that's just for the bike.
A friend of a friend connected me to the Peloton Friends and Family deal on a "refurbished" bike, i.e., one that someone returned within the first 30 days but has been fully checked and is fully warrantied. Refurbished Pelotons are normally $500 less expensive and the normal F&F deal is an additional $250 off of that. The special promotion that they run occasionally on top of that is another $250 off. That's the deal I got, for a total of $1,000 off the new Peloton price.

Reaction Score

Some folks don't have the time to leisurely roll through the bucolic Litchfield hills. My bike is in my bedroom and I can wake up, work up a good sweat in a half hour class and be out the door for work in 50 minutes. Or, as I've been doing while WFH, jumping on during an hour break between meetings here or there.

The weather is never bad. I don't have to worry about falling or a flat tire. No humidity. No concern about getting sideswiped by a car. Granted, I don't see many black Angus, but the instructors are pretty easy on the eyes.

Reaction Score
A friend of a friend connected me to the Peloton Friends and Family deal on a "refurbished" bike, i.e., one that someone returned within the first 30 days but has been fully checked and is fully warrantied. Refurbished Pelotons are normally $500 less expensive and the normal F&F deal is an additional $250 off of that. The special promotion that they run occasionally on top of that is another $250 off. That's the deal I got, for a total of $1,000 off the new Peloton price.
Nice!!!

Reaction Score

Definitely took a couple of month to get used it. The first couple of rides that I had for sweat steady or power zone where you were in the saddle for longer periods were rough.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Definitely took a couple of month to get used it. The first couple of rides that I had for sweat steady or power zone where you were in the saddle for longer periods were rough.
I also have a pair of Pearl Izumi shorts that I've had for a long time and the chamois in them definitely helped. Decided that one pair isn't enough so I ordered these as my second pair and like them:

Reaction Score
Holy crap. At 83? What a beast
He came up to me last year because he saw me benching with a reverse grip which is pretty much the only way I bench and it looks weird. He asked me about it and then asked me to guess how old he is. I guessed something like 54 to be nice but I legit thought he was 65 or under. He tells me he's 82 and then starts talking about the history of bench pressing...

He's from Russia and has lived all over but Chicago has been his home for a long time. He says he holds the American title for his age and used to have world titles. His wife always tries to get him to stop lifting heavy weights because he's so old but he loves it and says it keeps him alive. He looks and moves around better than all the 65 year olds and is a lot stronger than all of them, it's crazy impressive.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
The Subscription is probably more important than the bike. You can get any fixed gear stationary bike and do the rides through an ipad or smart tv. @Scot-e might be able to confirm this.

how much is the subscription?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Slightly off topic, but have any of you bought a rower? I have a stationary bike I rarely use, because I just don't like stationary bikes. But I always liked rowers and I believe some are now "Peloton like".

Reaction Score
I think it's $12.99 per month. I believe if you don't have a peloton product you can still do all the workouts it's just not a interactive.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I think it's $12.99 per month. I believe if you don't have a peloton product you can still do all the workouts it's just not a interactive.

Correct. $12.99 for individual subscription and $39.00 per month for unlimited family subscription.

Slightly off topic, but have any of you bought a rower? I have a stationary bike I rarely use, because I just don't like stationary bikes. But I always liked rowers and I believe some are now "Peloton like".

I looked into getting a Concept2 Rower when I got the Peloton. At that time they were backordered for several months and the only option was a waiting list. Supposed to be a great quality machine like the Peloton, but I don't believe there is any streaming content.

I have been surprised at how much I value the streaming content. Some may find it hokey, but I like the instruction, motivation and guidance. Makes the time pass more quickly, too.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the good info so far. I've been considering getting one since March and since I'm finishing my basement I think I'm going to bite the bullet now.

My biggest concern:
How tall do the ceilings need to be?
I'm 5'11" and I'm lucky if the basement ceiling will be 7ft (probably more like 6'10"ish).

I guess I could forgo doing anything with weights over my head, but I just want to be sure that I will have enough clearance to sit on the bike and not have my head up against the ceiling?

Anyone using one in basements with short ceilings?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the good info so far. I've been considering getting one since March and since I'm finishing my basement I think I'm going to bite the bullet now.

My biggest concern:
How tall do the ceilings need to be?
I'm 5'11" and I'm lucky if the basement ceiling will be 7ft (probably more like 6'10"ish).

I guess I could forgo doing anything with weights over my head, but I just want to be sure that I will have enough clearance to sit on the bike and not have my head up against the ceiling?

Anyone using one in basements with short ceilings?
I would check out the bike specs and do some math. You will not always be sitting on the bike; you come out of the saddle often. Here is an answer I found on the interwebs:
Hi. I'm thinking about purchasing a bike for my wife, but are house is a little small, and was thinking of keeping it in the finished basement. How much ceiling height is adequate for using the bike?
    FitRated October 3, 2019 at 12:04 pm

Hi Keith, it depends on how tall your wife is. Most users who have placed their bike in a basement have reported no issues standing on the bike with ceiling heights as low as 6'9". The only issue that some users face is not being able to fully raise their arms in some exercises. The pedals are only about a foot off the ground at its highest point. Hope this was helpful!

Reaction Score

My Concept 2 model D arrived last week there was an eight week wait.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My Concept 2 model D arrived last week there was an eight week wait.

Just did the research and it appears that the consensus of the rowers and fitness equipment folks that it is stupid to get anything else really. So I am on the wait list and signed up at Rouge as well. I like that they are in Vermont.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom