OT: - Peloton reviews? | The Boneyard

OT: Peloton reviews?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who has one? Do you like it? Where do you keep it? Do you use it as much as you expected to? How many people in your house use it? Do you subscribe to the streaming classes? Family or individual membership? Do you think the streaming classes are essential to the experience?

Curious for reviews as I am considering one.

Reaction Score
Got one for my wife. She loves it. I hate working out but have used it to take rides through the south of France ect... Lots of classes- something for everyone. Easy to sneak in a work out - it does kick ur ass.
My wife has a global job and has been working 15 hour days from home so it's been great for her.

I put it in the corner of a spare room. Screen is large so you don't need a lot of open space like the commercials. It has a pretty small footprint so can go almost anywhere in house. It not cheap- but it lives up to expectations.

Reaction Score
Guy from my hometown is a trainer for Peloton and just had an an ESPN article written about him.

Reaction Score
I rigged one up at home. I got an actual spin bike for 425.00. I got pedal sensors to give me my cadence and I subscribe to the Peleton app for 13.00 a month. Throw in brackets to hold my iPad and iPhone and I think it was under 600.00 in total.

Pros: I get what I need. I take part in the classes. The knob adjustments are "close enough" meaning, I know what it feels like to be between 30-40 resistance, I just can't tell if it's exactly 35 like a real Peleton does. I use it 3-4 times a week in the morning.

Cons: It's not exact. If you're a hard core type of trainer who tracks and logs all your stats, you wouldn't get that here. You also aren't in on the class leaderboards and the teachers don't ever call you out personally, if you care about that.

Reaction Score
Who has one? Do you like it? Where do you keep it? Do you use it as much as you expected to? How many people in your house use it? Do you subscribe to the streaming classes? Family or individual membership? Do you think the streaming classes are essential to the experience?

Curious for reviews as I am considering one.
My whole family uses our bike. We're all different. My wife runs marathons and works out every day. She uses the bike a lot, and uses some of the strength training and other classes including treadmill classes for our non-Peloton treadmill. My son (14) uses the bike a couple days a week and uses some of the other classes. I use it a couple times per week and don't use the other classes. My daughter (14) only uses it occasionally.

We keep the bike in a small basement gym with a treadmill, and weight bench. I hung a cheap tv with a firestick. You can now stream the classes through the firestick which is great for the treadmill or strength training. We use it more than I expected after a year.

The bike requires the monthly membership, but you can put as many accounts as you want on it. To my knowledge there is no family or individual membership. We all have accounts, and we can add more if we wanted. Maybe they changed that.

In my opinion, the streaming classes are essential to the experience. The bike itself is overpriced, it's the content that makes it worth while. I know you can use the classes on a different bike (like Deepster), but I don't regret getting the Peloton bike vs another. It's made it easier for me to workout when I don't feel like the boring run on a treadmill. I have only done a couple live classes, but I have done a few rides with friends (live or recorded). There are other competitors jumping in at lower price points, but I think we're hooked. Happy to answer any other questions. Get someone you know to refer you because I think you get some extra gear, and the referrer does also. PM me if you want our code.

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
Here's some gold...

1587397708830.png

Reaction Score
I've been interested in a rowing machine such as Concept2 or maybe water rowing machine- just think I'd use it more and get a better overall workout. Haven't done anything about it yet, maybe when stimulus checks come

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My whole family uses our bike. We're all different. My wife runs marathons and works out every day. She uses the bike a lot, and uses some of the strength training and other classes including treadmill classes for our non-Peloton treadmill. My son (14) uses the bike a couple days a week and uses some of the other classes. I use it a couple times per week and don't use the other classes. My daughter (14) only uses it occasionally.

We keep the bike in a small basement gym with a treadmill, and weight bench. I hung a cheap tv with a firestick. You can now stream the classes through the firestick which is great for the treadmill or strength training. We use it more than I expected after a year.

The bike requires the monthly membership, but you can put as many accounts as you want on it. To my knowledge there is no family or individual membership. We all have accounts, and we can add more if we wanted. Maybe they changed that.

In my opinion, the streaming classes are essential to the experience. The bike itself is overpriced, it's the content that makes it worth while. I know you can use the classes on a different bike (like Deepster), but I don't regret getting the Peloton bike vs another. It's made it easier for me to workout when I don't feel like the boring run on a treadmill. I have only done a couple live classes, but I have done a few rides with friends (live or recorded). There are other competitors jumping in at lower price points, but I think we're hooked. Happy to answer any other questions. Get someone you know to refer you because I think you get some extra gear, and the referrer does also. PM me if you want our code.
Thanks. I had been curious about them because my joints are taking a beating now that all I am doing is running, and a friend happened to call me this morning to say they are running some friends and family deal where you get 50% off the bike, so I gather the bike is $1200 instead of something like $2400 normally. Obviously still need the other gear and subscription, and it looks like there is an individual digital membership for $13 a month or multi-user for $39 a month. Sounds like at least two of my daughters are also interested so that's what we'd be doing.

Reaction Score
I rigged one up at home. I got an actual spin bike for 425.00. I got pedal sensors to give me my cadence and I subscribe to the Peleton app for 13.00 a month. Throw in brackets to hold my iPad and iPhone and I think it was under 600.00 in total.

Pros: I get what I need. I take part in the classes. The knob adjustments are "close enough" meaning, I know what it feels like to be between 30-40 resistance, I just can't tell if it's exactly 35 like a real Peleton does. I use it 3-4 times a week in the morning.

Cons: It's not exact. If you're a hard core type of trainer who tracks and logs all your stats, you wouldn't get that here. You also aren't in on the class leaderboards and the teachers don't ever call you out personally, if you care about that.
i have exact same setup w/ schwinn ic3 bike ($499 at dicks) + wahoo cadence sensor.

the bike is much cheaper than peloton and the monthly subscription is actually cheaper as well (which seems backwards).

downside is it uses manual resistance (turn a knob) vs the “digital” resistance on peloton. so when they call out to set resistance to 35 you have to do a little guesswork. i have been able to make that work, so doesn’t bother me.

supposedly the schwinn ic4 is a more direct peloton replacement, but more expensive.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I had been curious about them because my joints are taking a beating now that all I am doing is running, and a friend happened to call me this morning to say they are running some friends and family deal where you get 50% off the bike, so I gather the bike is $1200 instead of something like $2400 normally. Obviously still need the other gear and subscription, and it looks like there is an individual digital membership for $13 a month or multi-user for $39 a month. Sounds like at least two of my daughters are also interested so that's what we'd be doing.
That's a fantastic price! The screen alone is a big reason it's more expensive than some others.

You don't need to get any of the accessories through them. For example, any biking shoes will do (with the right cleat). I bought mine on Amazon for a lot less than theirs cost.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I've had one for a while. Up until the work from home, my office of 7 people was sharing it. We had 10 people using the bike. I try to use it a couple times a week - 3 is ideal. I just brought mine home so its more convenient for me ( I can and do go into our offices as I'm the only one there). Its expensive but if you use it definitely worth it!

Drumguy

Reaction Score
Let me know if you find the bike for 50% off, I didn't see it, I'd get one for home )the one I have is in my office).

Drumguy

Reaction Score

Ditto, $100 apparel referral reward and you get $100 to use on extras!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's a fantastic price! The screen alone is a big reason it's more expensive than some others.

You don't need to get any of the accessories through them. For example, any biking shoes will do (with the right cleat). I bought mine on Amazon for a lot less than theirs cost.
Let me know if you find the bike for 50% off, I didn't see it, I'd get one for home )the one I have is in my office).
I should clarify that the 50% off is for a "refurbished" one, which I understand to mean someone returned it within 30 days or something and they replace the screen and make sure it's "like new" when you get it.

Reaction Score
i have exact same setup w/ schwinn ic3 bike ($499 at dicks) + wahoo cadence sensor.

the bike is much cheaper than peloton and the monthly subscription is actually cheaper as well (which seems backwards).

downside is it uses manual resistance (turn a knob) vs the “digital” resistance on peloton. so when they call out to set resistance to 35 you have to do a little guesswork. i have been able to make that work, so doesn’t bother me.

supposedly the schwinn ic4 is a more direct peloton replacement, but more expensive.

To add more detail on the resistance, I know a quarter turn of the knob is approximately 3-5% resistance. The instructors are very good at saying things like "Turn the resistance up to 40%, you should start to feel your thighs burning at this point" and those cues are very helpful.

Reaction Score
I should clarify that the 50% off is for a "refurbished" one, which I understand to mean someone returned it within 30 days or something and they replace the screen and make sure it's "like new" when you get it.
How do you get that deal? Seems like a no brainer for that price if you can afford it. I always use the peloton's at my work gym, but can't right now for obvious reasons. I would consider spending on one for that price. It's easy to get motivated before and during a workout as opposed to running and whatever else. The instructors are great and they have music, etc.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How do you get that deal?
I don't know. I think it's for friends and family of employees. My buddy called me and asked me if I was interested so I gather he knows somebody. I am supposed to follow up with him after I float it at home tonight. I think the biggest question for us will be where it goes. We already have a treadmill in the basement that I use almost every day and I want to put this up in the family room, which I sense will meet some resistance from Mrs. 8893 (who I do not expect to be among those using the bike).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
wealthy or not, that's gonna be an expensive coat rack in two months.
Yeah, that's the concern. That's what I said when my wife wanted a treadmill around 20 years ago. She stopped using it within a year or two but I still use it almost every day, and two of our daughters use it occasionally. I'm just trying to get a sense whether I would use this as much. It would be nice to have options to mix it up, which is why I liked having a gym membership. Now that that's no longer an option, I'm looking for something else to give me a break from running because my body is not built to do that much running.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's the concern. That's what I said when my wife wanted a treadmill around 20 years ago. She stopped using it within a year or two but I still use it almost every day, and two of our daughters use it occasionally. I'm just trying to get a sense whether I would use this as much. It would be nice to have options to mix it up, which is why I liked having a gym membership. Now that that's no longer an option, I'm looking for something else to give me a break from running because my body is not built to do that much running.
I don't think you will stop using it after a couple of months or even a year. Eventually you might not want to use it 3-4x per week, but you will still use it once per week or more if you have the time. The challenge I have with justifying the purchase if you are still paying each month for the software. I get that all for free with my gym membership if it ever opens back up.
I don't know. I think it's for friends and family of employees. My buddy called me and asked me if I was interested so I gather he knows somebody. I am supposed to follow up with him after I float it at home tonight. I think the biggest question for us will be where it goes. We already have a treadmill in the basement that I use almost every day and I want to put this up in the family room, which I sense will meet some resistance from Mrs. 8893 (who I do not expect to be among those using the bike).
If he wants to share the code, I am all ears lol

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The people I know who own it, love it.

I have rollers and a trainer for my road bike and I find any kind of riding indoors to be so insanely boring that I would rather ride in a snowstorm than endure it for even an hour.

Personally, I would spend the money on something you can use outdoors, but you do sound like something of a candy ass, so the Peloton may work for you? Is there any place you can try it out first?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The people I know who own it, love it.

I have rollers and a trainer for my road bike and I find any kind of riding indoors to be so insanely boring that I would rather ride in a snowstorm than endure it for even an hour.

Personally, I would spend the money on something you can use outdoors, but you do sound like something of a candy ass, so the Peloton may work for you? Is there any place you can try it out first?
I have a nice mountain bike and ride outdoors often, but not regularly enough to make it a fitness solution for me. I also prefer exercising outside and that's where I like to do most of my runs, but I mix in the treadmill for half of my daily distance most week days to go a little easier on my joints. I'm not a natural runner and it's starting to wear on my body; I've had to rehab and recover from a nagging lower leg issue in the calf/Achilles junction twice in the past six months and I really want to avoid that because it's a bad thing for everyone when I can't exercise daily. After running four miles outside both Saturday and Sunday this past weekend I tweaked my back just sitting at my computer desk, so yeah I guess my candy ass needs another option in the mix.

I've often thought about investing in a nice road bike, but I will admit that the number of accidents among friends, clients and acquaintances (not to mention JC's accidents) has dissuaded me a bit. I've occasionally used stationary bikes similar to the Peloton, but not nearly as nice, in hotel gyms while traveling for work. Not sure where I'd be able to try one of these during the shutdown, and that's when I want to start it.

Reaction Score
Love it.

I use it for the bike and strength training 3-4 times a week.

My wife occasionally rides but uses the app for yoga and “outdoor runs”.

For us it’s totally worth it because we have young kids and can squeeze work outs in our basement. Takes up little space—think a normal yoga mat footprint.

Reaction Score
Wife and I have used for a year and half. We still enjoy it and each use about 3x per week. 0% financing at $100 per month with Affirm. Legs were in shape for skiing this year. Think I’ll do a class in a few.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom