Paul Scruggs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Paul Scruggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are arguing semantics here. The fact that Hami was considered a top 12 player at his age group in the country versus Wilkes being a top 20 (wilkes was part of last cuts) is a moot point. It could've even been that Hami was 12th and Wilkes was 13 in the coaches eyes. It also could have had to do with a better fit for the team. You are coming off as a guy who can't make a subjective assessment on your own, you just regurgitate what other people say, rank, or choose as their teams. You going to tell me next that there is no way that Alterique plays better than the 39 or whatever guys that were ranked higher in his class than him. Again I'm telling you from what games I have seen from them, which is somewhat limited, I think Wilkes is the better player, Hami the better athlete. Also, like someone said before Wilkes may be the better fit if Hami doesn't come in with a consistent shot. And there are NO facts in performance assessment sorry bro.

i think i'm approaching this objectively, i saw HD play 5 games in chile and was top 7 in minutes played, ie he was a major contributor. So i take this observation (wilkes being cut from that squad) and add it to my general knowledge of the C/O 2017 to make a statement like so and so is a better prospect. Wilkes is a good prospect too i just think hd is a cut above, and i guess ollie agrees with me seeing he had a hand in who made that usa team.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Hamidou diallo is a better player than wilkes at the moment, its just facts. wilkes got cut from a team HD made and contributed on, hd is ranked higher, and he has a better physical profile (longer arms).

But are his hands larger?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
idk but if they are thats actually a big deal in basketball. we all made fun of the kawhi leanord big hands talk in 2011, now his nickname as an all nba player and FMVP is the claw.

Yeah, I was just referencing that throwback joke. Carry on.

C

Chief00

Ham reminds me a little of Len Bias without Len's softer shooting touch. They both were/are electric. Hopefully, he can work the shooting part of his game up.

Len's performance at UNC was one of the best college performances I have ever seen against a top notch team on the road. Not talking statistics but impact and wow factor.

Reaction Score
Ham reminds me a little of Len Bias without Len's softer shooting touch. They both were/are electric. Hopefully, he can work the shooting part of his game up.

Len's performance at UNC was one of the best college performances I have ever seen against a top notch team on the road. Not talking statistics but impact and wow factor.
Anytime there is a Len Bias reference, it gets a like.

Reaction Score

Len Bias? Love him but I have to say there's little to compare other than the athleticism. Len was a brute on top of an electric guy, much bigger and made the mid range jumper with great consistency from what I remember. Top it off a proven lock down defender, ask Mike. Different players, long way to go sorry don't see it Chief.

Reaction Score

You might as well compare Hamidou to Jack Sikma, it's about as accurate as your Len Bias call.

C

Chief00

Len Bias? Love him but I have to say there's little to compare other than the athleticism. Len was a brute on top of an electric guy, much bigger and made the mid range jumper with great consistency from what I remember. Top it off a proven lock down defender, ask Mike. Different players, long way to go sorry don't see it Chief.

Ok - In my dreams - something he can aspire to. I did mention Len was a much better shooter. I was thinking athleticism and explosiveness. You bring up a good point, Len was a strong guy and had biceps probably without weight training. He could also play tough with an attitude - hence the defense.

Reaction Score
anyone see this twitter spat between the jackass himself gregg doyel and prolific prep? apparently based off this article

Seems like a lot of innuendo, 1000+ words of questioning why a blue chip recruiting is going to prep school... comes off pretty salty.

Reaction Score
anyone see this twitter spat between the jackass himself gregg doyel and prolific prep? apparently based off this article

Seems like a lot of innuendo, 1000+ words of questioning why a blue chip recruiting is going to prep school... comes off pretty salty.
I didn't see the twitter bit but as you say the article comes off salty. However, this prep/AAU/high school stuff is pretty difficult for me to understand. Do they switch schools/teams to get more exposure, which most of the top 100 recruits really don't need anyway, or are they switching to become academically eligible?

Reaction Score
I didn't see the twitter bit but as you say the article comes off salty. However, this prep/AAU/high school stuff is pretty difficult for me to understand. Do they switch schools/teams to get more exposure, which most of the top 100 recruits really don't need anyway, or are they switching to become academically eligible?

The whole thing with AAU and prep schools is very sketchy. I played AAU baseball because the competition was top notch and we had a great coach who coached for free, but hearing stories from other teams - even in baseball - was beyond weird. They paid thousands of dollars per year and would have random players added to their rosters all the time because a major league team or college wanted them on a roster and they would shuffler all around.

Reaction Score

i think it'll challenge him in the classroom more @ a private school, but definitely more on the basketball court where he'll be doing lots of d1 esque travelling to play the best hs teams during the grind session. How Simpson , prolific prep , his new aau team, and UA all connect i have no clue. I mean , paul scruggs isn't considering any UA schools

Last edited:
Reaction Score
i think it'll challenge him in the classroom more @ a private school, but definitely more on the basketball court where he'll be doing lots of d1 esque travelling to play the best hs teams during the grind session. How Simpson , prolific prep , his new aau team, and UA all connect i have no clue. I mean , paul scruggs isn't considering any UA schools

Prolific prep is very weird, though... If you read the article, and if everything he says is true, they're not even really a school.

Reaction Score
i'm a little confused by doyels findings, specifically the 'friction' between the two coaches and how that was the reason for the transfer. this excerpt

It’s confusing, but in a nutshell: Simpson was running the local AAU program, funded in part by Under Armor, that oversaw Peterson’s Indy Hoosiers. Two men with two different visions, Peterson took his Indy Hoosiers one way and Simpson took his Under Armor sponsorship another. Simpson is joining forces with former Broad Ripple, IUPUI and Indiana Pacers standout George Hill for an AAU program that will be called G3 Grind...

So he is saying that the hc, this guy , had a falling out with this guy... How is a hc of a major hs in indiana 'running' an aau team? and how do aau teams 'oversee' other teams? Could Jason Smith, from brewster, just take his UA sponsor and start an aau club to compete in UAA? I'm sure peterson could have gotten a sponsor when he showed UA he had two five stars in his stable.

Prolific prep is very weird, though... If you read the article, and if everything he says is true, they're not even really a school.

True, but this isn't new. Its not groundbreaking reporting, there are dozens of similar setups sprawled across north america. Nobody was losing their **** over wiggins & huntington prep.

Reaction Score
i'm a little confused by doyels findings, specifically the 'friction' between the two coaches and how that was the reason for the transfer. this excerpt

So he is saying that the hc, this guy , had a falling out with this guy... How is a hc of a major hs in indiana 'running' an aau team? and how do aau teams 'oversee' other teams? Could Jason Smith, from brewster, just take his UA sponsor and start an aau club to compete in UAA? I'm sure peterson could have gotten a sponsor when he showed UA he had two five stars in his stable.

True, but this isn't new. Its not groundbreaking reporting, there are dozens of similar setups sprawled across north america. Nobody was losing their **** over wiggins & huntington prep.

No I definitely agree but nonetheless it is a little.. odd

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score

I was reading this article earlier today and I felt like it was all over the place, so I decided to get back to it later. After reading it again and seeing Doyel's tweets it seems that this guy has completely lost it over Scruggs decision... Someone should take his keyboard away...

C

Chief00

OH NOOOOOO!!!! Not the dreaded Coach Miller facilities tour!!! Oh god no! All is lost!!!

Chief knows what he's talking about - the enhanced tour is being rolled out. At any rate, it gets interesting per article James posted - his HS and AAU coaches have had a big break-up - his AAU coach visits UConn and he is now playing for the PO Box school that DHam and VJ played for - article is attributing the move to Trent - maybe so - but then through the PO Box school - UConn is now active. But, Monday MAL signs. That's why for the casual fans - best leave the predictions to Chief.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...s-leave-southport-calif-prep-school/89911066/

Reaction Score
Chief knows what he's talking about - the enhanced tour is being rolled out. At any rate, it gets interesting per article James posted - his HS and AAU coaches have had a big break-up - his AAU coach visits UConn and he is now playing for the PO Box school that DHam and VJ played for - article is attributing the move to Trent - maybe so - but then through the PO Box school - UConn is now active. But, Monday MAL signs. That's why for the casual fans - best leave the predictions to Chief.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...s-leave-southport-calif-prep-school/89911066/

Or tcf;)

Reaction Score

DHam didn't play for Prolific Prep.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to feel, irrationally, that Scruggs and Wilkes combo deal is more likely than most here think. No inside info, just the fact that his aau coach is the one making plays here should make people feel like this is down to Ucla and uconn. Read this article by a pretty known blogger in the iubb community , dakich is also getting in on the fun on Twitter. Indy folks are stuck in a different century when it comes to grassroots ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom