Paul Scruggs

Discussion in 'UConn Men's Basketball' started by UConnStats, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James

James

how is wilkes the best player? hami just came back from that u18 tourney in chile... a team that wilkes got cut from, diallo played a key rotational role vs canada.

Another reason why diallo would be better is fit, he is very familiar with our current roster, even if its for one year.

2. kcc1442

kcc1442

You can think what you want. Thats just how I see it. Overall a better basketball player right now. Hami is an elite athlete who needs to improve his shot. And you could also say that with Wilkes and Scruggs you are getting more years out of those two than the one you are getting from Hami

3. husky99

husky99

KW is a better bball player but hami has a huge ceiling. Take both or who ever signed 1st.. with a smile

4. Wilkes can't reach Hami's ceiling. He's close to consensus top 10, with some feeling Diallo is the clear best SG in this class. The day his shooting is not a weakness, is the day he's top 3 in the NBA draft.

5. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Hami may not reach Hami's ceiling while in college and then get drafted for his potential. I will take either but always prefer the one that gives me more than 1 year as long as he's in the same area code ability wise. Seeing the skill set on video of both I like the guy who can make shots because getting to the rim gets tougher out of prep. Not saying he can't or won't just saying 19% from 3 makes it tougher.

Doheny likes this.
  6. Paesano

Paesano

And you are correct. Neither Hami or MAL are good shooters. That is 2/3 of our future backcourt. We need to add a third guy that can shoot. I think where Ollie may be struggling is that great shooters often don't want to play D and I think he values D, a lot.

Would a three guard lineup of Waters, MAL and Diallo be crazy due to the lack of size? A back court of Waters and MAL might look a lot like KEA and Ricky.

7. James

James

Hamidou diallo is a better player than wilkes at the moment, its just facts. wilkes got cut from a team HD made and contributed on, hd is ranked higher, and he has a better physical profile (longer arms).

8. Matrim55

Matrim55

Gilbert, Vital, Jackson & Durham are all considered good-to-great shooters at their respective positions. That's 4/5ths of the 2016 recruiting class...

9. Kemba'sYogurt

Kemba'sYogurt

But Wilkes has an easier time buying shirts!

Huskies4ever likes this.
  10. kcc1442

kcc1442

You are arguing semantics here. The fact that Hami was considered a top 12 player at his age group in the country versus Wilkes being a top 20 (wilkes was part of last cuts) is a moot point. It could've even been that Hami was 12th and Wilkes was 13 in the coaches eyes. It also could have had to do with a better fit for the team. You are coming off as a guy who can't make a subjective assessment on your own, you just regurgitate what other people say, rank, or choose as their teams. You going to tell me next that there is no way that Alterique plays better than the 39 or whatever guys that were ranked higher in his class than him. Again I'm telling you from what games I have seen from them, which is somewhat limited, I think Wilkes is the better player, Hami the better athlete. Also, like someone said before Wilkes may be the better fit if Hami doesn't come in with a consistent shot. And there are NO facts in performance assessment sorry bro.

11. James

James

i think i'm approaching this objectively, i saw HD play 5 games in chile and was top 7 in minutes played, ie he was a major contributor. So i take this observation (wilkes being cut from that squad) and add it to my general knowledge of the C/O 2017 to make a statement like so and so is a better prospect. Wilkes is a good prospect too i just think hd is a cut above, and i guess ollie agrees with me seeing he had a hand in who made that usa team.

12. MattMang23

MattMang23 Contrarian

But are his hands larger?

Doheny, mauconnfan and David 76 like this.
  13. James

James

idk but if they are thats actually a big deal in basketball. we all made fun of the kawhi leanord big hands talk in 2011, now his nickname as an all nba player and FMVP is the claw.

dennismenace and WideRight! like this.
  14. MattMang23

MattMang23 Contrarian

Yeah, I was just referencing that throwback joke. Carry on.

15. Chief00

Chief00

Ham reminds me a little of Len Bias without Len's softer shooting touch. They both were/are electric. Hopefully, he can work the shooting part of his game up.

Len's performance at UNC was one of the best college performances I have ever seen against a top notch team on the road. Not talking statistics but impact and wow factor.

djct1999 likes this.
  16. djct1999

djct1999

Anytime there is a Len Bias reference, it gets a like.

17. mauconnfan

mauconnfan

Len Bias? Love him but I have to say there's little to compare other than the athleticism. Len was a brute on top of an electric guy, much bigger and made the mid range jumper with great consistency from what I remember. Top it off a proven lock down defender, ask Mike. Different players, long way to go sorry don't see it Chief.

18. superjohn

superjohn

You might as well compare Hamidou to Jack Sikma, it's about as accurate as your Len Bias call.

Chin Diesel and dennismenace like this.
  19. Chief00

Chief00

Ok - In my dreams - something he can aspire to. I did mention Len was a much better shooter. I was thinking athleticism and explosiveness. You bring up a good point, Len was a strong guy and had biceps probably without weight training. He could also play tough with an attitude - hence the defense.

mauconnfan likes this.
  20. Chief00

Chief00

Think positive

21. James

James

anyone see this twitter spat between the jackass himself gregg doyel and prolific prep? apparently based off this article

Seems like a lot of innuendo, 1000+ words of questioning why a blue chip recruiting is going to prep school... comes off pretty salty.

22. 80shusky

80shusky

I didn't see the twitter bit but as you say the article comes off salty. However, this prep/AAU/high school stuff is pretty difficult for me to understand. Do they switch schools/teams to get more exposure, which most of the top 100 recruits really don't need anyway, or are they switching to become academically eligible?

JMick likes this.
  23. Rocktheworld

Rocktheworld

If we still had Bunk we would have both by now

24. JMick

JMick

The whole thing with AAU and prep schools is very sketchy. I played AAU baseball because the competition was top notch and we had a great coach who coached for free, but hearing stories from other teams - even in baseball - was beyond weird. They paid thousands of dollars per year and would have random players added to their rosters all the time because a major league team or college wanted them on a roster and they would shuffler all around.

25. James

James

i think it'll challenge him in the classroom more @ a private school, but definitely more on the basketball court where he'll be doing lots of d1 esque travelling to play the best hs teams during the grind session. How Simpson , prolific prep , his new aau team, and UA all connect i have no clue. I mean , paul scruggs isn't considering any UA schools

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  26. JMick

JMick

Prolific prep is very weird, though... If you read the article, and if everything he says is true, they're not even really a school.

27. James

James

i'm a little confused by doyels findings, specifically the 'friction' between the two coaches and how that was the reason for the transfer. this excerpt

So he is saying that the hc, this guy , had a falling out with this guy... How is a hc of a major hs in indiana 'running' an aau team? and how do aau teams 'oversee' other teams? Could Jason Smith, from brewster, just take his UA sponsor and start an aau club to compete in UAA? I'm sure peterson could have gotten a sponsor when he showed UA he had two five stars in his stable.

True, but this isn't new. Its not groundbreaking reporting, there are dozens of similar setups sprawled across north america. Nobody was losing their **** over wiggins & huntington prep.

28. JMick

JMick

No I definitely agree but nonetheless it is a little.. odd

29. AstarIsBorn31

AstarIsBorn31 Underrated Poster

I was reading this article earlier today and I felt like it was all over the place, so I decided to get back to it later. After reading it again and seeing Doyel's tweets it seems that this guy has completely lost it over Scruggs decision... Someone should take his keyboard away...

30. Chief00

Chief00

Chief knows what he's talking about - the enhanced tour is being rolled out. At any rate, it gets interesting per article James posted - his HS and AAU coaches have had a big break-up - his AAU coach visits UConn and he is now playing for the PO Box school that DHam and VJ played for - article is attributing the move to Trent - maybe so - but then through the PO Box school - UConn is now active. But, Monday MAL signs. That's why for the casual fans - best leave the predictions to Chief.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...s-leave-southport-calif-prep-school/89911066/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.