Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Confusing - Link

Press Release - link

GoVolsXtra - Link

Pat is still going to be heavily involved in the program. Wonder how this impacts their recruiting. Can she make visits or talk to the recruits in the recruiting process?

LadyVol Basketball Tweet: Tennessee's Pat Summitt Named Head Coach Emeritus, Holly Warlick Named Head Women's Basketball Coach

I'll continue to add links as appropriate. Probably won't add any opinion links to this original post.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
No surprise there. i guess they feel the program is better off with Holly as the HC and Pat being involved in any way she can. However, players who commit there will no longer be playing for legendary HC Pat Summitt. they surely will get to rub elbows with her, but if the way the team was run this year is any indication of how Holly will be running the team, they are in a bit of trouble...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I thought she might take an Emeritus title at some point, so here it is. They're in a very delicate situation, obviously, because on one hand you're dealing with a legend but on the other hand you want to reduce the uncertainty as much as possibe, for recruits and for the current program as well.

This does help give *some* clarity to the situation, but personally I am doubtful that too many recruits will be drawn by Warlick as the HC given the program's recent turbulence. I am wondering if this also means that PHS will not be on the sideline? Guessing not, but can't be sure from this reading.

But as has been said already, there was really no possible way they were going to move up from having a legendary HC, and there was little hope that they could even move sideways with the coaching situation. The only way left was down. I don't mean this as a shot at Warlick but as an acknowledgment of PHS's status as a legendary coach. It's her and Geno at that level currently, IMHO, and then there's everyone else.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'll give Holly the benefit of the doubt. We know there's at least one new assistant coach and that could go a long way towards making the Lady Vols team next year Holly's team.

No surprise there. i guess they feel the program is better off with Holly as the HC and Pat being involved in any way she can. However, players who commit there will no longer be playing for legendary HC Pat Summitt. they surely will get to rub elbows with her, but if the way the team was run this year is any indication of how Holly will be running the team, they are in a bit of trouble...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
From the GoVolsXtra article:

It’s Summitt’s understanding that she still can attend practice and talk to the players. She also said that she can call recruits, which will be of paramount importance. The Lady Vols currently have just six returning players on campus and three high school seniors signed for next season.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Confusing - Link

Press Release - link

GoVolsXtra - Link

Pat is still going to be heavily involved in the program. Wonder how this impacts their recruiting. Can she make visits or talk to the recruits in the recruiting process?

LadyVol Basketball Tweet: Tennessee's Pat Summitt Named Head Coach Emeritus, Holly Warlick Named Head Women's Basketball Coach

I'll continue to add links as appropriate. Probably won't add any opinion links to this original post.

So sad to see her step aside, but I think it was the right move

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This from the Press Release

"Duties and Responsibilities of Head Coach Emeritus"

They are at pains here to show that Warlick and staff will do the coaching, not Pat. But I would think that if you're going to allow Pat into the halftime locker room, you should just go ahead and let her say pretty much anything she wants...!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Although not ideal, it'll certainly be a better situation for Holly than last season. PS will still be involved and looming over the program, but that's mostly unavoidable given her condition and her personality. For her own mental health it's probably better that PS stay involved. Holly likely won't feel as though it's her team completely (e.g., see list of HCE responsibilities and duties), but certainly more so without PS and DeMoss sitting on the bench.

Reaction Score

They are at pains here to show that Warlick and staff will do the coaching, not Pat. But I would think that if you're going to allow Pat into the halftime locker room, you should just go ahead and let her say pretty much anything she wants...!
I'm a bit surprised that the NCAA doesn't have 100 pages of "guidance" on this. Has it happened before in men'r or women's sports? What was Wooden's title at UCLA post retirement?

Reaction Score
Just formalizes what already evolved over the course of the year.

Ends at 1098 wins. Doubtful anyone comes close to that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Hmmm. Why would she enter the locker room at halftime if not to instruct? I guess a motivational talk is okay? Strange.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Ends at 1098 wins. Doubtful anyone comes close to that.

804–129.

That is 294 short. 8-9 more years. Geno can do it if he wants.

Reaction Score
804–129.

That is 294 short. 8-9 more years. Geno can do it if he wants.

My lack of sleep catches up to me.

Though he did once roll his eyes at the thought of sticking around to 1,000 wins. Hopefully the Uconn AD is going to watch the TN transition very closely to see what does/doesnt work.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
When there are a lot of restrictions on calling recruits how do you let some one with alzheimer's have these privileges?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hopefully the Uconn AD is going to watch the TN transition very closely to see what does/doesnt work.

The Tenn transition is very, very unique for a few reasons; I doubt it'll be particularly instructive for UConn given Geno's personality.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There's nothing pretty about Alzheimer's. It was the right decision for Pat. She can enjoy her remaining years with a less demanding and more flexible schedule.

Reaction Score
The Tenn transition is very, very unique for a few reasons; I doubt it'll be particularly instructive for UConn given Geno's personality.

Yes it's unique. But so is replacing a legendary coach in WCBB. And I was thinking more of the situation for the replacement than anything having to do with Geno.

JS

Reaction Score
Agree.

She maybe sits right behind the bench during games instead of on it. Would imagine the halftime visits to the locker room will be about what they were this past year.

She calls and writes recruits, they have a session with her on campus visits, she doesn't go on the road recruiting.

Unless she's really going to stop doing something she's been doing in practice (supposed to "observe" from now on -- quietly?), with a change of Assistant coaches it looks pretty much like last season.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
With this now being firmly Holly's team, she MAY have a chance to do things a bit differently from last year. We really don't know everything that was going on behind the scenes or what Holly ended up having to do versus was expected to do preseason, etc.

Having said that, I don't think she's the best HC available (i.e., who would make him/herself available for LV job), and although this direction may make the most immediate sense, it's not a five-year plan by any means. If I'm Tennessee, I have a strategy that includes a national coaching search if and at such time it becomes clear that Holly is not the best long-term fit.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Although this is not unexpected, I don't know why Tennessee wasn't planning for this all season. I can't believe Warlick is the best person for the job, I understand they want continuity, but it almost seems like they are going to try this approach for a year to see how it works...if I'm a recruit, no way am I getting near that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes it's unique. But so is replacing a legendary coach in WCBB. And I was thinking more of the situation for the replacement than anything having to do with Geno.

I understand. The situation for Summitt's replacement is going to be very unique. When Geno retires he'll likely walk away as much as a retired coach can. He'll make himself available to the next coach if s/he wants advice, but it will be nothing like the situation that will unfold for Warlick in Knoxville next year. I just read in the Wash Post story that Summitt intends to sit behind the LV bench during games next season:

But her role will be circumscribed by NCAA rules, which will permit her to watch practice, collaborate on game plans and continue as a motivator, disciplinarian and mentor but will preclude her from actively coaching. Rather than sit on the bench during games, she’ll sit directly behind the Volunteers’ staff, able to consult with Warlick and, no doubt, telegraph her impressions of what’s unfolding on court through her famously piercing glare.

Like I said, this situation is going to be very, very unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom