Pat Summitt Head Coach Emeritus | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Pat Summitt Head Coach Emeritus

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It is always difficult to be a new coach following a legendary one.

Think of Summitt as Bill Guthridge, the longtime assistant (30 years) for Dean Smith. Guthridge took over for the three years after Dean Smith retired, before transitioning to the true successor (supposed to be Roy Williams, but he shockingly said no; after three years of Matt Doherty, Roy Williams decided to go back to UNC).

At least Dean Smith didn't sit behind the UNC bench or didn't enter the locker room at halftime. At least I don't remember that happening. I'm sure Smith was available to Guthridge to offer his advice and counsel, but my memory is that Dean Smith tried as best he could to fade into the background and allow Guthridge to coach the team. For Warlick's sake, I hope Pat chooses not to sit behind the bench during games and I hope Pat refrains from entering the locker room at halftime. Holly should be allowed to coach the team in games without Pat's physical presence so close by.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I cannot even imagine women's basketball without Pat as part of it. To think of her as just a background figure is very sad. What a career and what a legacy she leaves behind as a head coach. Just to think of the thousands and thousands of lives that she has shaped in positive way.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Although that's an admissable perspective, the opposing viewpoint is that if she hasn't had head coaching opportunities elsewhere, what would make her the best candidate for one of the very top coaching opportunities anywhere? And yes, I'd have the exact same question for Chris Dailey in an analogous scenario. Either something didn't qualify her or she was happier being an assistant. Neither of those possibilities would give me a warm fuzzy.
I would note that Pokey Chapman took over capably for Sue Gunter in a situation affected by Sue's health, too.

Reaction Score
Former Coach:)
I do know Coach Wooden cont to have an office there,but he really did not play an active role
regarding the team after he retired in 75! After Dean Smith retired, I think he cont to have an office on the campus. No one is saying it,but Pat did not seem to be really there when I observed her on TV during games! OK I am a Clinician and my observations were that her condition appeared to be more advanced than when the public announcement was made,and what the public stance was. It really did appear to be obvious that what was aannounced today had to be done! Now if Pat is still in pretty good shape she realized this was the right decision for the program and for her. Stress is not good in general and in particular when one has Health issues! We will see how active she is. She now can be out of the llimelight as necessary. This disease is not pretty as it advances. I am guessing that this has been the plan that was developed during the season! Trt team evaluations were on going.

Is there really anyone who thought she was going to remain coach beyond the end of this past season??? I have been waiting for the announcement to be made. I think the timing in April long enough after the season was appropriate! This was at the moment the BEST decision given the circumstances.

What she will be able to do will cont to be evaluated. That process will never stop even if/when Pat is no longer in the public eye! Having a "wife" who has ALS I can tell you, these diseases are not fun or easy on anyone close oviousley including Pat! What she is lucky,given the whole thing sucks,is the support system,trt team, and finances she has available! I can go into that much deeper! For most Americans,who do not have all of the resources available to her, it is so much worse! It is really hard on the PT and the caregivers if they are the family and resources are so much more limoted!

I did not read this over,because this touches on my life,but I wanted to share Professional imput and some personal . Ira

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Geno retires he'll likely walk away as much as a retired coach can.
Maybe Geno the Restaurateur [spelled correctly for Wonkster] will take over the on-campus concessions. :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I do know Coach Wooden cont to have an office there,but he really did not play an active roll
regarding the team after he retired in 75! After Dean Smith retired, I think he cont to have an office on the campus. No one is saying it,but Pat did not seem to be really there when I observed her on TV during games! OK I am a Clinician and my observations were that her condition appeared to be more advanced than when the public announcement was made,and what the public stance was. It really did appear to be obvious that what was aannounced today had to be done! Now if Pat is still in pretty good shape she realized this was the right decision for the program and for her. Stress is not good in general and in particular when one has Health issues! We will see how active she is. She now can be out of the llimelight as necessary. This disease is not pretty as it advances. I am guessing that this has been the plan that was developed during the season! Trt team evaluations were on going.
Is there really anyone who thought she was going to remain coach beyond the end of this past season??? I have been waiting for the announcement to be made. I think the timing in April long enough after the season was appropriate! This was at the moment the BEST decision given the circumstances.
What she will be able to do will cont to be evaluated. That process will never stop even if/when Pat is no longer in the public eye! Having a "wife" who has ALS I can tell you, these diseases are not fun or easy on anyone close oviousley including Pat! What she is lucky,given the whole thing sucks,is the support system,trt team, and finances she has available! I can go into that much deeper! For most Americans,who do not have all of the resources available to her, it is so much worse! It is really hard on the PT and the caregivers if they are the family and resources are so much more limoted!
I did not read this over,because this touches on my life,but I wanted to share Professional imput and some personal . Ira

Ira, with my experience of demetia patients I am right there with everything you said. It was what I was observing, too.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife in your battle.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would note that Pokey Chapman took over capably for Sue Gunter in a situation affected by Sue's health, too.

Let's just hope that Warlick doesn't go down the same path that Pokey did.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
It's very strange to think of WCBB without Pat. Very strange.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The key difference is that Chatman was only 34 at the time. She was at a point in her career where it made sense for her to be a first-time HC somewhere, be it at LSU or elsewhere.

Also did not hurt to have Augustus on the squad and Fowles lined up. Tennessee is not without talent to be sure, but those were two pretty special players.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The key difference is that Chatman was only 34 at the time. She was at a point in her career where it made sense for her to be a first-time HC somewhere, be it at LSU or elsewhere.

Also did not hurt to have Augustus on the squad and Fowles lined up. Tennessee is not without talent to be sure, but those were two pretty special players.
No, it didn't but she was an assistant coach who successfully took over a program from an ailing coach.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
No, it didn't but she was an assistant coach who successfully took over a program from an ailing coach.
Understood. For me, though, the age is the key. One wouldn't ask, "Why hasn't Pokey had/taken a head coaching opportunity yet?" The response would more likely be, "Well, she was due for a HC gig somewhere. Circumstances aren't ideal, but I'm glad it's at her alma mater." You might say the second part of that vis a vis Holly, but not the first.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Understood. For me, though, the age is the key. One wouldn't ask, "Why hasn't Pokey had/taken a head coaching opportunity yet?" The response would more likely be, "Well, she was due for a HC gig somewhere. Circumstances aren't ideal, but I'm glad it's at her alma mater." You might say the second part of that vis a vis Holly, but not the first.

You might have said that about Glance at NCState - but the Wolfpack didn't go down that path and hired Harper.

Reaction Score
I do know Coach Wooden cont to have an office there,but he really did not play an active role

Thank you for sharing that with us. You are right that Pat is lucky to have the resources available to her but my heart tightened when I read that her only child will now be coaching at Marquette. I am certain she would never want him to put a hold on his own life but it made me sad to think that he will be so far away from her now.

Your wife is lucky to have you there for her. As the primary caretaker of an elderly parent I know the stress that can cause and your situation is much, much more difficult than mine. I hope you have someone to lean on too, Ira. All the best to you and your wife.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Although we knew it was coming, it's still hard to believe that we will never see Pat coach again.

Thinking of all the bitterness and anger most of us felt about Pat ending our rivalry ... doesn't this just prove that life is too short to waste on the unimportant stuff?

No one could have predicted it would end this way. So very, very sad.

You know, I appreciate her career, I respected her as an opponent back in the day, but frankly she hasn't been relevant to UConn basketball for quite a while. It's sad news when anyone is struck by an illness and certainly Alzheimer's is a terrible disease but, to be truthful, I can't say that her retirement is all that big a deal to me. Still wish her the best, though.

Reaction Score
While making Holly Warlick head coach may not make the most objective sense in terms of wins or losses, this is not that type of situation. I'm pretty sure I remember a giant mural of Pat Summitt's face on the interior wall of the practice facility. The first coach that takes over for Pat has to be able to live with Pat all over the walls. They may take a short term hit, but it will be better for the long term. The program needs to create some breathing room before bringing in an outsider, whether it is a former Lady Vol player or a true outsider.

Let Holly create that breathing room. If she turns out to be successful that's great for Tennessee, and if not you've bought some distance and time. Time for Pat time for Pat to settle into whatever role she's going to take on. Time to see if Nikki Caldwell or Kellie Harper really is worth bringing back to Knoxville. Time for a truly outstanding outside candidate to emerge because I don't see one right now. Not one that's going to take that job right now anyway. Tennessee can afford to wait because they have the SEC football money to pay top dollar for a coach even if the program's own revenue declines.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Excellent piece by Mechelle Voepel, both an emotional tribute to Pat Summitt and a reminder of the practical challenges facing Holly Warlick. http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7829577/tennessee-lady-vols-make-wise-practical-decisions

Mechelle is correct when she writes:

Warlick deserved this opportunity, but now she has to adjust her mindset to really take advantage of it. Warlick always reminded people this season that Summitt was still the head coach, and it's a tribute to her loyalty that her own ego/ambition never, ever seemed to even exist.

But it needs to exist now. The lifeblood for any program is recruiting, and having Warlick firmly in charge is what Tennessee must have. In February, Tennessee's top commitment for the Class of 2013 -- Kaela Davis -- announced she was reopening her recruitment because of concerns over Summitt's health/future at Tennessee.

Tennessee can and does sell its eight NCAA titles and 18 NCAA Final Four appearances, its large and passionate fan base, its track record for producing Olympians and pro players. Ultimately, though, most recruiting deals are closed by the head coach, and now the recruits know exactly who that will be: Warlick.

She will have to personally and philosophically adjust to that. She is no longer the first lieutenant; she is the captain. She has to think that way. Her touching deference to Summitt this season was 100 percent genuine, but now she is the boss.

This is why I think it's a bad idea for Summitt to sit behind the LV bench. That serves no purpose but to diminish Warlick. That's the last thing she needs.

Reaction Score
Excellent piece by Mechelle Voepel, both an emotional tribute to Pat Summitt and a reminder of the practical challenges facing Holly Warlick. http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7829577/tennessee-lady-vols-make-wise-practical-decisions

Mechelle is correct when she writes:

Warlick deserved this opportunity, but now she has to adjust her mindset to really take advantage of it. Warlick always reminded people this season that Summitt was still the head coach, and it's a tribute to her loyalty that her own ego/ambition never, ever seemed to even exist.

But it needs to exist now. The lifeblood for any program is recruiting, and having Warlick firmly in charge is what Tennessee must have. In February, Tennessee's top commitment for the Class of 2013 -- Kaela Davis -- announced she was reopening her recruitment because of concerns over Summitt's health/future at Tennessee.

Tennessee can and does sell its eight NCAA titles and 18 NCAA Final Four appearances, its large and passionate fan base, its track record for producing Olympians and pro players. Ultimately, though, most recruiting deals are closed by the head coach, and now the recruits know exactly who that will be: Warlick.

She will have to personally and philosophically adjust to that. She is no longer the first lieutenant; she is the captain. She has to think that way. Her touching deference to Summitt this season was 100 percent genuine, but now she is the boss.

This is why I think it's a bad idea for Summitt to sit behind the LV bench. That serves no purpose but to diminish Warlick. That's the last thing she needs.
Could not agree more...

Reaction Score

I don't know about that. I think it also serves to remind the players of the continuity between Summitt and Warlick and give them the benefit of whatever Summitt can still give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom