Paschal Chukwu Inside Info | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paschal Chukwu Inside Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well we went 0 for 10 in achieving our goal, so of course it will be disappointing. The 1 final four would be nice. The regular season winning % doesn't mean anything. Our program has reached a level where no amount of regular season winning is going to impress anyone or elevate our status. We're at the level where only final 4's and championships do that.

So last season was a dussapointment in your eyes?

Reaction Score
What does last season have to do with anything? We're talking about the next 10 seasons.

Reaction Score
So if in the next decade KO wins 85% of his games and gets to the elite 8 three times(including the NC game); you will be disappointed?

no championships in a decade? Who do we look like Syracuse? We RELOAD here we don't REBUILD seanmc, our aspirations are always NC's....

Reaction Score

That's kind of a moot point since we weren't eligible for the postseason. I know you're just playing devils advocate per usual, but it's hard to say last season was anything other than a drawn out exhibition. The only thing we really had to play for was the regular season title so I guess in that regard it was disappointing. However, I think we had an opportunity to make a pretty good run last year given the chance so it's tough to to say

Reaction Score
So if in the next decade KO wins 85% of his games and gets to the elite 8 three times(including the NC game); you will be disappointed?
That's just about what JC during his 1st 10 years.

Reaction Score

I think there's a big difference between what Calipari did at Memphis and what Pastner is doing. Calipari recruited well and was able to knock off the big boys and make runs consistently into the tournament. Pastner is also a good recruiter but has only won, what, one tournament game since he took the job? Personally, if this program accomplished over the next four years what Calipari accomplished in his final four years at Memphis (Four sweet 16's, three elite eight's, one title appearance), I would be ecstatic. He didn't win any titles, but when you're consistently winning a ton of games, reeling in big time talent, and advancing to the second weekend of the tournament, the title opportunities are going to come and with a little luck you'll win one or two. And frankly, even if Ollie coached here 20 years and didn't win a title, I could live with it as long as he was winning regular season/conference championships, keeping UConn in the national spotlight, and getting to a couple final fours. I'm sure many of my fellow fans will disagree, but we're at a point now with this program where we simply need to keep winning games. I'm not even worried about winning titles - if we keep winning games, the naysayers who projected this program to fall off the map upon Calhoun's retirement will be silenced, and this program will continue to be a brand name and test the waters of blue blood status. And that's what this is all about: I've been thoroughly entertained by UConn basketball for my entire life and all I want going forward is to be similarly entertained, even if they break my heart from time to time.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Sorry to disagree but the way PeeCee is recruiting they will become relevant in a very short time. Cooley might not be a great coach but the players they are involved with show me that climbing out of the Welch, Keno abyss is near. Add to that they don't have to play former BE heavyweights going forward. Agree?

I agree... Cooley can't coach but the recruits seem to like him. PC has a much easier go now in the new Big East. I see though that KO is what will make the difference for us in regards to overall wins and losses.

Reaction Score
...if we keep winning games, the naysayers who projected this program to fall off the map upon Calhoun's retirement will be silenced, and this program will continue to be a brand name and test the waters of blue blood status.

I agree with most of your point, but I think in order to truly get to blue blood status (which is what I want), we need to win another title.* And I'll be disappointed if, in the next 10 years, we don't manage it.

* Caveat: If we make like 5 or 6 final fours and produce another generation of lottery picks/all-stars/one bona fide Ray Allen-level Hall of Famer, that could do it as well. But I'd rather have another banner or two.

Reaction Score
Cooley is far from the worst D1 basketball coach, but he hasn't shown he deserves a 2 million dollar salary either. I would prefer not to offer 2 million to a coach who has never made a NCAAT appearance in 8 years. As a recruiter he is showing he can sell something, it's actually a minor miracle that he is getting all these top kids interested in PC.

As for Chukwu, I'll wait to hear something from his mouth directly.

Ed Cooley was hired more to overhaul the direction and atmosphere of the Basketball team. After that, it became his job to recruit and to win. He has certainly earned his contract so far. Obviously this will be a big year for him as this is the first year that the vast majority of his players are his recruits, since most of his recruits last year were sitting on the bench. That will be when we can see what he really can do (Or from Uconn fans perspective, if he can do it at all).

Coach Cooley is getting these top kids interested because he is getting in early in the recruiting game, he is passionate about his believe the PC will become a basketball powerhouse, and he does not back down when schools with better reputations (Yes, that means Uconn) try to jump in take the player he likes away. THAT is why you are going to be fighting PC for recruits for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley was hired more to overhaul the direction and atmosphere of the Basketball team. After that, it became his job to recruit and to win. He has certainly earned his contract so far. Obviously this will be a big year for him as this is the first year that the vast majority of his players are his recruits, since most of his recruits last year were sitting on the bench. That will be when we can see what he really can do (Or from Uconn fans perspective, if he can do it at all).

Coach Cooley is getting these top kids interested because he is getting in early in the recruiting game, he is passionate about his believe the PC will become a basketball powerhouse, and he does not back down when schools with better reputations (Yes, that means Uconn) try to jump in take the player he likes away. THAT is why you are going to be fighting PC for recruits for the foreseeable future.
Cool story...remind me why uconn fans care?

I hope chukwu and Abu commit asap (dont even really care where at this point) because then I'm hoping we shut the door on all things PC for good

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
these guys should be banned from recruiting threads. they ruin it for the people that want to read about a recruit and discuss with fellow yarders

Reaction Score
Izzo is a good example. I think Sean Miller will get there for Arizona. Pitino succeeded Crum a dozen years ago. Dean Smith and Frank Maguire way back at the dawn of time.

History shows that you're more likely to miss than hit when following up a big-time coach, but my money's on Ollie.

Bear in mind that we have the advantage of Calhoun in a pretty active GM role.

I read this board and I see the "we must win NC's or it's a failure" and I think man is this board only going to have the real fans on it in a couple years because it will take Ollie time to get to the level of coach JC was, and all the fans that demand NC's and HOF stars will be gone routing for the flavor of the day.

Well, that's what happens when you have 25 years of sustained excellence. It's hard for fans from small, regional schools that have only been good in fits and starts to understand. Butler grads will find that out soon enough, for example.

Anyway, I'd say that the fanbase was pared down only to the real fans over the last two years. I suspect there will be a bounce-back in the next couple.

Reaction Score
Cool story...remind me why uconn fans care?

I hope chukwu and Abu commit asap (dont even really care where at this point) because then I'm hoping we shut the door on all things PC for good
I don't care if UConn fans care. I simply responded to something Caw posted. I didn't post that in a vacuum.

Reaction Score
If you check the thread; it was UConn fans who brought up PC. UConn fans who stated that Cooley can't coach. Methinks they do care. Don't like it? Blame them. Not PC fans.

Reaction Score
If you check the thread; it was UConn fans who brought up PC. UConn fans who stated that Cooley can't coach. Methinks they do care. Don't like it? Blame them. Not PC fans.

I would agree. Sadly its as if some fans are concerned, with all the pee cee references. No other school attracts some many posts on this forum. However games aren't played on message boards.

With that said, take that as the only victory you will ever have with UConn.

Reaction Score
I would agree. Sadly its as if some fans are concerned, with all the pee cee references. No other school attracts some many posts on this forum. However games aren't played on message boards.

With that said, take that as the only victory you will ever have with UConn.

You are correct. Games are played on the court. With that said, during UConn's golden age; PC gave as good as it got head to head. Sadly, for now, that is over. Hopefully just for a short time.

Reaction Score
How many scholarships does PC even have open for 2014? It seems to me they have 4 and 1 is to be filled with jalen lindsey. All of these supposed recruits they are getting will not happen.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I don't care if UConn fans care. I simply responded to something Caw posted. I didn't post that in a vacuum.

go post in a vacuum. leave.

Reaction Score
You are correct. Games are played on the court. With that said, during UConn's golden age; PC gave as good as it got head to head. Sadly, for now, that is over. Hopefully just for a short time.

When I went back and looked up UConn vs. Providence head-to-head over the years, this statement simply was not true in the slightest. UConn always got the best of PC in the BE. Including in the 1980s. Go back and take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom