Parker off Olympic team? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Parker off Olympic team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL, looks like Dev Peters has weighed in, complete with a direct shot at Stewart :rolleyes::

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With all due respect to the Twitterati, let's not drag over tweets from anyone that ever dribbled a basketball. We get it already - people are miffed. I don't know how more foot stomping and breast beating from anyone with a Twitter account will change anything.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to the Twitterati, let's not drag over tweets from anyone that ever dribbled a basketball. We get it already - people are miffed. I don't know how more foot stomping and breast beating from anyone with a Twitter account will change anything.

Yes, that would probably be wisest. The scale of the gnashing of teeth has irritated me, and when I get irritated, I get a bit...cheeky. ;) Linking that Tweet was a cheeky thing to do.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, that would probably be wisest. The scale of the gnashing of teeth has irritated me, and when I get irritated, I get a bit...cheeky. ;) Linking that Tweet was a cheeky thing to do.
I like cheek. :).

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
LOL, looks like Dev Peters has weighed in, complete with a direct shot at Stewart :rolleyes::

We've spent 3 or 4 days getting into it and finally flamed out.
What the wider community...esp players think is significant, very significant
Has to do with the rights and prerogatives of labor and all that Jazz; very American.

Probably won't change anything, at least now.
But may very well affect the process in the future.

I think its important, very important.

Dev is a tough young lady, I commend her for being (the first)? active player to take a stance.
Will the floodgates now open?...we'll see.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Has to do with the rights and prerogatives of labor and all that Jazz; very American.

Dev is a tough young lady, I commend her for being (the first)? active player to take a stance.

What exactly is it that has to change?

Kelsey Bone and Devereaux Peters don't rank highly on my list of opinions to care about, to be honest. Peters has shown herself to be someone who lacks self-control in pressure situations.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

I did not interpret Nan's guidance to say that Dev should not give an opinion. The guidance was to not drag her opinion which was expressed elsewhere here to the Boneyard. Same direction was given of Magic's opinion. The "wider community" has any number of outlets to express their opinions. We have the Boneyard.

Reaction Score

This is an interesting view, and a valid one from the standpoint of viewing elite competitions like the Olympics as a vehicle for demonstrating respect toward our transcendent athletes. It's the view that made the men's Dream Team debut so memorable. Unfortunately, it's also the view that delivered successively worsening performances on the men's side until it became a stinging reminder that fielding a competitive team involves more than just respect shown toward the players, it involves a commitment on the part of everyone to fielding the most competitive team...and that requires balance between the respect due the players as individuals and the subservience those same individuals owe Team USA.

I've watched Dev Peters career, and I think she understands both...

I respect Candace Parker tremendously for her transcendent play, but I respect her grace, composure and continued support for Team USA under these circumstances even more...

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What is Parker's greatest liability? Reflect on that and answers may come easier than by trying to think of all the great skills she brings. I don't consider her a great defensive player and not particularly good at defensive rotation. Both of these are valued skills in international ball. I will gladly admit that since I don't watch a tremendous amount of WNBA ball other than playoffs her latest development is limited in my observation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What is Parker's greatest liability? Reflect on that and answers may come easier than by trying to think of all the great skills she brings. I don't consider her a great defensive player and not particularly good at defensive rotation. Both of these are valued skills in international ball. I will gladly admit that since I don't watch a tremendous amount of WNBA ball other than playoffs her latest development is limited in my observation.
Ice I'm surprised at you, this is simply not correct. In 2012 Olympic CP was the team's leading rebounder and shot blocker. She grabbed more rebounds (in fewer) minutes than Tina Charles and had twice as many block shots as Tina.
http://www.usab.com/basketball/medi...s/womens-national-team/12-woly-stats-usa.aspx

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ice I'm surprised at you, this is simply not correct. In 2012 Olympic CP was the team's leading rebounder and shot blocker. She grabbed more rebounds (in fewer) minutes than Tina Charles and had twice as many block shots as Tina.
http://www.usab.com/basketball/medi...s/womens-national-team/12-woly-stats-usa.aspx
thanks for providing facts. CP3 should be on the team. Bone and Peters are closer to the game than any of us and is just showing their respect for CP3's talent. You have your opinion and so should they

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So that's it. That's the sum total of Candace Parker's experience playing for Team USA. Can someone tell me why everyone cares so much that she's not on the Olympic team? I don't get it.

She's one of the 3 or 4 best players in the world. It's as simple as that. On a first reaction, people aren't thinking about her post defense or anything like that.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
thanks for providing facts. CP3 should be on the team. Bone and Peters are closer to the game than any of us and is just showing their respect for CP3's talent. You have your opinion and so should they
Of course players are entitled to their opinions. But do we really need to have all these tweets - that essentially agree with everyone in this thread - posted here? I'm just trying to stop a flood of tweets from everyone that's play d the game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Of course players are entitled to their opinions. But do we really need to have all these tweets - that essentially agree with everyone in this thread - posted here? I'm just trying to stop a flood of tweets from everyone that's play d the game.
I'm not complaining about your request... I'm talking to the few who thinks Peters nor Bone has a dog in this fight. I'm surprise you guys lets as much as you do be dragged over from Twitter, that's why the lines become blurred

Reaction Score
This reminds me a little like '96 when Rebecca was on the team. Tara didn't really seem to want Rebecca on the team, but Rebecca was a famous face from UConn's first championship, that has been said was the impetus for two women's professional basketball leagues (ABL & WNBA). I assume the committee then, as now, was trying to raise the exposure of women's basketball by including a current famous face. Even if that's the reason Stewie is on the team it shouldn't be the issue of picking Stewie over Parker, but why Parker was dropped instead of one of the other players. My opinion is that a healthy Parker is among the top 5 or 6 players today. It's also my opinion that Stewie is deserving of a place on the team based on skills and not just for publicity.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And I would say the USA NT committee is closer to the game from a better perspective than any current or former player, and much closer to the NT team dynamic than any player who has not been to any of the trials and competitions, and they have spoken, so deference and respect should be due them as well.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
And I would say the USA NT committee is closer to the game from a better perspective than any current or former player, and much closer to the NT team dynamic than any player who has not been to any of the trials and competitions, and they have spoken, so deference and respect should be due them as well.
nah... you know what I mean, we're a bunch of fat guys posting opinion. These players faced them all, but of course the committee does the selecting... let's throw in that "GOD" has the final say. People are discrediting Tina Thompson, a Top 10 20 all time geesh. I'm sure you had CP3 on you list 6 months ago, or maybe not, you don't like her attitude :rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

That is not the defense I was talking about nor specified. I said rotation and meant on ball, as well. I, also, noted I don't watch the W so mentioned I was unaware of any improvement she may have made so no need to be surprised.

I stand by the approach of considering her weaknesses and reflecting on how they may have been reflected in the decision.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is not the defense I was talking about nor specified. I said rotation and meant on ball, as well. I, also, noted I don't watch the W so mentioned I was unaware of any improvement she may have made so no need to be surprised.

I stand by the approach of considering her weaknesses and reflecting on how they may have been reflected in the decision.
You are right, statistics from the Olympics should never get in the way of a incorrectly conceived notion.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
You are right, statistics from the Olympics should never get in the way of a incorrectly conceived notion.

Well, there really aren't stats that track whether a player plays good on-ball defense. Steals are sometimes a result of good on-ball defense and sometimes a product of irresponsible gambling. There's even less of a statistical basis for tracking whether a player is making the proper rotations. That's all scouting.

Maybe there are some metrics in the NBA with the SportVU data. I don't think there's anything like that for wbb, at least not publicly available.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well, there really aren't stats that track whether a player plays good on-ball defense. Steals are sometimes a result of good on-ball defense and sometimes a product of irresponsible gambling. There's even less of a statistical basis for tracking whether a player is making the proper rotations. That's all scouting.

Maybe there are some metrics in the NBA with the SportVU data. I don't think there's anything like that for wbb, at least not publicly available.
Universal Basketball Truth: You can't block shots without playing "on ball defense or rotating to the ball"!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Universal Basketball Truth: You can't block shots without playing "on ball defense or rotating to the ball"!

When she was at Minnesota, I watched Zahui B. rack up a ton of blocked shots by basically standing just outside the line and stuffing people who were stupid enough to drive right at her.

Rotating to the ball =/= making proper rotations. If you always follow the ball, you'll get more blocks. You'll also leave the player you're supposed to be guarding wide open. It's a net negative, but your block total will look real good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom