Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The US soccer teams are staying true to form with the men being defeated badly and the women winning easily. The women’s team has done a lot of house cleaning; I’m curious to see how the younger team does. Hoping I remembered to DVR the women’s game.

Reaction Score
The biggest show on earth starts today. The opening ceremonies begin at 1:30 p.m. Eastern time, with NBC once again as the broadcaster. If televising major sporting events were an Olympic discipline, the NBC television network would have no problem winning several medals, including longevity, having broadcast its first Olympic Games in 1936 when it was still a radio network. CBC will be the official Canadian broadcaster.

I've attached the official FIBA website for the women's basketball section of the Games. With the last three FIBA championships we've followed recently, we're used to this type of site, and I'd like to remind you that the times shown are Eastern times, if of course you're in that time zone. With Paris, there's a six-hour time difference compared with Eastern time on the North American continent.

I propose six players and three Countries to watch out for. For the USA: Napheesa Collier, Breanna Stewart and Diana Taurasi. For Canada: Aaliyah Edwards and Kia Nurse and finally for France: Gaby Williams. I wish you all a very good Games.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Reaction Score
Snoop Dogg is carrying the Olympic flame Pep Guardiola is shooting hoops in New York This is your sign to apply for that job even if you don’t fit the requirements!!

Reaction Score
The biggest show on earth starts today. The opening ceremonies begin at 1:30 p.m. Eastern time, with NBC once again as the broadcaster. If televising major sporting events were an Olympic discipline, the NBC television network would have no problem winning several medals, including longevity, having broadcast its first Olympic Games in 1936 when it was still a radio network. CBC will be the official Canadian broadcaster.

I've attached the official FIBA website for the women's basketball section of the Games. With the last three FIBA championships we've followed recently, we're used to this type of site, and I'd like to remind you that the times shown are Eastern times, if of course you're in that time zone. With Paris, there's a six-hour time difference compared with Eastern time on the North American continent.

I propose six players and three Countries to watch out for. For the USA: Napheesa Collier, Breanna Stewart and Diana Taurasi. For Canada: Aaliyah Edwards and Kia Nurse and finally for France: Gaby Williams. I wish you all a very good Games.

You mean UConn players to be fair.

Reaction Score
You mean UConn players to be fair.
I wanted to start a new thread that would talk about UConn alumni and the country they represent at the Olympics. Since there was already a thread on the Games, I didn't want to start a second thread on the same subject. If I had paid more attention, I would have realized that GamecockFam, who started this thread, wanted to open the discussion to all sports, without restriction, that are at the Paris Games. I tried to remove my post, but I couldn't. Sorry GamecockFam.

Reaction Score
I wanted to start a new thread that would talk about UConn alumni and the country they represent at the Olympics. Since there was already a thread on the Games, I didn't want to start a second thread on the same subject. If I had paid more attention, I would have realized that GamecockFam, who started this thread, wanted to open the discussion to all sports, without restriction, that are at the Paris Games. I tried to remove my post, but I couldn't. Sorry GamecockFam.
I think the UConn board has a thread to cover that.

Reaction Score
Agreed re NBC, From Canada.

As for the 'show,' Paris set a standard with its 'ceremony' that'll be just about impossible to approach. Good luck, LA. You've got a tough act to follow.

I'm prejudiced because Paris is my favorite city and it was just so cool to again see so many iconic historic sites. In the light of day on an ordinary day, Paris is so special. What I just saw was breathtaking.

It was wonderful to see all the countries' athletes, as it always is at an Olympics. Americans shone brightly, as I'm sure many of them will in competition.

I hope all of you who didn't get to see it live this afternoon will watch the replay this evening on NBC. I cherish each Olympics Games, as I have since my first memory of them in 1960. And now that feeling is even more passionate as I get closer to the day when I won't be around to celebrate more.

Go, USA! Go, athletes of the world!:cool:

Reaction Score
That was a really good opening ceremony but I have to wonder if the TV experience and the in-person experience were wildly different. It felt like the ceremony was made for TV. Half of what we saw probably looked like ants to the people in the audience. Nevertheless I had fun watching it at home!

Reaction Score
Sublime performance by Céline Dion - The script was written

La sublime performance de Céline Dion lors de la cérémonie d'ouverture de Paris 2024
After a 4-year absence from the stage for health reasons, suffering from a rare neurological disorder. Céline Dion made her entrance at the Paris Games ceremony with a sublime rendition of a song written and performed by Édith Piaf in 1950. Céline had already sung Hymne à l'amour at the American Music Awards in 2015 (attachment), but I thought her latest performance was even superior. She came closer to the interpretation of Édith Piaf, with slightly more emphasis on the R's. Rumors circulating in Quebec were that she would do a duet with Lady Gaga of another Édith Piaf song, La vie en rose. I thought some people might like to hear it in English (Hymn to Love), so I managed to find a version by the original performer, who had also recorded it in English. For the 3rd link, it's about today

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom