Parallels to 2011? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Parallels to 2011?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For this premise to be true these things need to be in place.

Jalen is an All American who can take over a game when needed. - TBD

A second guard emerges to prevent teams from keying on Jalen. - Check based on sheer volume of guards.

A rebounder and interior defender. - not that I can see, but maybe.

The rest of the team can defend as a unit and slow down the other teams guy. - TBD.

In short, we are a long way from 2011.

Reaction Score
The freshmen class we had in 2010-11 was leaps and bounds better than what we have this year. I think we can make the NCAA but let's not kid ourselves

As far as what? Did we expect to win the NC in 2011 and 2014 especially come postseason time? We have a very talented upperclassman lead guard with versatile talent around him just like in those years. If they win 20+ games and get a decent tournament seed which they are capable of then anything is possible.

Reaction Score
For this premise to be true these things need to be in place.

Jalen is an All American who can take over a game when needed. - TBD

A second guard emerges to prevent teams from keying on Jalen. - Check based on sheer volume of guards.

A rebounder and interior defender. - not that I can see, but maybe.

The rest of the team can defend as a unit and slow down the other teams guy. - TBD.

In short, we are a long way from 2011.

In fairness not really. I mean the way it ended in 2011 sure but not the way it began. We had little clue as to who our freshman were going in and how they would contribute, especially the impact of Lamb who was a relative unknown much like some of the players we have. We don't have an Oriahki going in and while Kemba was really special there's a chance our backcourt depth can create a similar situation there.

So you're right if you think there aren't similarities to the finished product of '11 but it is somewhat similar in regards to out of the gate. People need to step up and even if they do, this team will likely never be in position to make a run like that, but they still could bring some excitement back.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Stop me if you’ve heard this story before, a young Uconn team coming off a disappointing season is underrated and going to be lead by a junior guard ready to go to the league, with a chance to prove themselves early on in a huge preseason tournament.:D
If during the first early tournament game I'm txting my sister, "OMG, Jalen is the best player in college basketball," I'll take a closer look at how the other parts stack up.
In the meantime, I'll go back to wanting to see defensive stops, low turnovers, and made free throws.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a good season. Jalen will have a more productive year than the very nice season he had last year but with slightly less assists. Terry Larrier is going to have a breakout season with his scoring and snatching boards, and Alterique will have a very fine season both with scoring and assist to turnover ratio. All 3 will end up on the national radar as top tier players. Cobb and Company(Diarra and others) are going to get it done on the inside. The bench is deep with a mix of two very capable veteran guards(Vital and Anderson) and several other talented players who can play either the 3/4 or 4/5. Many combinations to choose from, these guys just need internal team competition and actual playing time to get better and produce. Some undetermined number of these players are going to step up and play well, get minutes and fill out the rotation. Polley, Williams, Carlton, Whaley, Onoruah, maybe Wilson will get the heartbreak waiver. I just ordered my XL center season tickets 117S row 11, and I can hardly wait for the season to start. Bleed Blue fellas!

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In fairness not really. I mean the way it ended in 2011 sure but not the way it began. We had little clue as to who our freshman were going in and how they would contribute, especially the impact of Lamb who was a relative unknown much like some of the players we have. We don't have an Oriahki going in and while Kemba was really special there's a chance our backcourt depth can create a similar situation there.

So you're right if you think there aren't similarities to the finished product of '11 but it is somewhat similar in regards to out of the gate. People need to step up and even if they do, this team will likely never be in position to make a run like that, but they still could bring some excitement back.

I disagree. They served a loud notice in Maui. It wasn't a fluke. They dominated FF caliber teams. The Big East record was the outlier.

After game 2 at MSG you knew this team was going places. After Pitt, you knew they'd be a tough out.

The PK80 is huge, both for at large purposes, and a look at their potential. Beating Oregon is a must.

Reaction Score
I disagree. They served a loud notice in Maui. It wasn't a fluke. They dominated FF caliber teams. The Big East record was the outlier.

After game 2 at MSG you knew this team was going places. After Pitt, you knew they'd be a tough out.

The PK80 is huge, both for at large purposes, and a look at their potential. Beating Oregon is a must.

Yeah I agree, but this team hasn't played yet is my point and that team prior to Maui was nothing to get any more excited about than this one. There was a lot of unknown. And that team was only decent in the Big East. AO played really good on both ends of the season but wasn't real good in the regular season league, or shall I say consistent. And Lamb really came out end of the year in spectacular fashion. It was the Kemba show in Maui although we certainly saw signs of some pretty good support around him. I'm not saying this team will reach any heights that team did, just saying going in prior to first tip, no one knew and anyone who said they did is a liar.

Reaction Score
There are, certainly, a good number of comparisons between looking at this team and looking at our team coming into 2011. But there are, also, two major differences. First, we entered 2011 with at least one big who we thought we should be able to count on. Two, the new pieces that we were going to have to plug in in 2011, while not our first choices in most cases, where not the last second plug ins to fill holes we didn't expect in our roster that we have this time around.

But we'll see. This is why they play the games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The parallels are incredible. In 99, 04, and 11, we won a total of 99 games. We also lost 17 games. 99-17=82. 82 is the opposite of 28. 2011 was championship #3. 28-3. The falcons blew a 28-3 lead. We've gotta be the favorites this year.
image-jpeg.12252

Conspiracy Kitty says: "Yes, yes...It's all so clear now!"

[CL82 says: We're still doomed.]

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure about parallels but I am sure about one thing. Jalen's sophomore statistics compared to Kemba's are close if not better.
Kemba - 14.6 PPG, 2.1 ST, 5.1 AST, 4.3 RB, .43 2P%, .339 3P%, .767 FT%
Jalen - 14.4 PPG, 1.1 ST, 6.1 AST, 4.3 RB, .43 2P%, >.35 3P%, >.828 FT%
Very close actually. Not saying he's going to be Kemba, one of our all time greats, but don't discount him. And he did that with some of his best teammates sidelined with injuries and all the pressure on him to run the show almost alone. If we get a jump from Jalen in his Junior year like we did with Kemba we will be very happy. I'm not sure he has the front court horses to compete for a National Championship like Kemba did so I wouldn't sign him up for that either, but don't count him out.
I hope this is a parallel though!

Kemba played much better defense. Twice the steals is the only stat here reflecting D. That said, I think Jalen is ready to step up and be a leader. That's the other thing we need to see from him. I don't think the pieces around him are as good as we had for Kemba in 2011, but they are certainly good enough that this team can surprise people and win a lot of games. Maybe make a run in the tournament.

That 2011 team also got a late season scoring boost as Lamb became more than a freshman. It would certainly help our chances if some freshman takes a similar late season leap.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a good season. Jalen will have a more productive year than the very nice season he had last year but with slightly less assists. Terry Larrier is going to have a breakout season with his scoring and snatching boards, and Alterique will have a very fine season both with scoring and assist to turnover ratio. All 3 will end up on the national radar as top tier players. Cobb and Company(Diarra and others) are going to get it done on the inside. The bench is deep with a mix of two very capable veteran guards(Vital and Anderson) and several other talented players who can play either the 3/4 or 4/5. Many combinations to choose from, these guys just need internal team competition and actual playing time to get better and produce. Some undetermined number of these players are going to step up and play well, get minutes and fill out the rotation. Polley, Williams, Carlton, Whaley, Onoruah, maybe Wilson will get the heartbreak waiver. I just ordered my XL center season tickets 117S row 11, and I can hardly wait for the season to start. Bleed Blue fellas!
Very nice, and I agree we have talent. One thing about Cobb and company getting it done on the inside, that is the question isn't it?

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Jalen has had spectacular games. It's the consistency that comes with maturity. "Jalen hasn't shown much?" He has shown me a lot. I wait for him to do it consistently, to do what he has already done, but more steadily.

I agree with this to an extent. I love Jalen, I think when he wants to be he's one of the best guards in the country.

However, last year I thought he took off to many plays on both sides of the ball. I know that morale was low last year, but quite simply, Adams can't afford that to happen again. He has to be invested and involved every. single. play for the Huskies to succeed this season.

Reaction Score
Very nice, and I agree we have talent. One thing about Cobb and company getting it done on the inside, that is the question isn't it?
Yeah, I'm praying for the best. One never knows til you throw the ball up. My post is just my optimistic self slinging good vibrations, rooting for the team in constructive fashion. Based on what I've seen and heard I think our frontcourt is going to be fine, I just don't know enough to be certain.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
There are, certainly, a good number of comparisons between looking at this team and looking at our team coming into 2011. But there are, also, two major differences. First, we entered 2011 with at least one big who we thought we should be able to count on. Two, the new pieces that we were going to have to plug in in 2011, while not our first choices in most cases, where not the last second plug ins to fill holes we didn't expect in our roster that we have this time around.

But we'll see. This is why they play the games.

For all intents and Purposes Larrier and Gilbert are still "new pieces." We seem to be factoring them into our year last year and writing them off in the process. I'm not as high on Larrier as others because I don't see very high BBall IQ and in our early season struggles he didn't look like he wanted the ball. That said, I could easily see him on a slow track to greatness like the evolution of Daniels in '14.

Gilbert though. Gilbert is a stud. As a freshman he was putting the team on his back during the game he got hurt. He's got KEA swag and when you put him and Adams together in the backcourt its a potent combo. I don't think a red shirt sophomore AG is a leap from Freshman Bazz.

Vital's BBall IQ and hustle make him the perfect 6th man 3 guard piece.

Reaction Score
For all intents and Purposes Larrier and Gilbert are still "new pieces." We seem to be factoring them into our year last year and writing them off in the process. I'm not as high on Larrier as others because I don't see very high BBall IQ and in our early season struggles he didn't look like he wanted the ball. That said, I could easily see him on a slow track to greatness like the evolution of Daniels in '14.

Gilbert though. Gilbert is a stud. As a freshman he was putting the team on his back during the game he got hurt. He's got KEA swag and when you put him and Adams together in the backcourt its a potent combo. I don't think a red shirt sophomore AG is a leap from Freshman Bazz.

Vital's BBall IQ and hustle make him the perfect 6th man 3 guard piece.

Huh. I thought he wanted the ball too much last year. In fact, I criticized him for it on this board. He was not selective enough. But that goes back to the whole team. Everyone wanted to be a hero: Jaylen, Terry, Rodney, Vance. I think only Alterique tried to play within the team concept the first few games.

Reaction Score
Look, we're not winning the national championship this year. But we're not not winning the national championship this year either. Know what I mean?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Huh. I thought he wanted the ball too much last year. In fact, I criticized him for it on this board. He was not selective enough. But that goes back to the whole team. Everyone wanted to be a hero: Jaylen, Terry, Rodney, Vance. I think only Alterique tried to play within the team concept the first few games.

Yeah I don't remember every detail of those early games, but I do remember Larrier being fairly "shot aggressive" on offense, which I'm not saying is a bad thing necessarily...

I do remember being impressed with some of the shots he was making while also being a little leery of the types of shots they were ... But that was during games where it looked like our offense was stagnant and he figured he'd be the aggressor.

Again, not a bad thing, possibly even a good thing, but that's my recollection of Terry last year.

Reaction Score
Parallels:

Jalen Adams was born 12/11/95. 95-11-12=72.
Kevin Ollie was born in 72, and is 44. 72-44=28.
Kemba Walker was born 5/8/90. 90-8-5=77.
77-74=3.
28-3.
The falcons blew a 28-3 lead.

This is our year. It was written.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Look, we're not winning the national championship this year

image-jpeg.12252

Conspiracy Kitty says: "Or are we?"

[CL82 says: "Still doomed."]

Reactions: pj

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm thinking this is more like post APR ban. We have a disappointing season, mumu2.0, defections and a junior pg from Roxbury.

I'm psyched.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
However, last year I thought he took off to many plays on both sides of the ball. I know that morale was low last year, but quite simply, Adams can't afford that to happen again. He has to be invested and involved every. single. play for the Huskies to succeed this season.

Yeah, we also had like 6 dudes available last year. I'll give him a pass

Reaction Score
I’m just excited for this season, baring injury *knocks on wooden desk furiously* I feel that we are going to be a really good team. I wouldn’t be surprised if we won the AAC in the regular season and/or tournament.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Jalen is a proven baller. I can't help but see parallels of 11 'and 14', but that is simply because we got spoiled into thinking every time we suck, we'll win a natty the next year. Not realistic, though I'll hope for it.

True but if we in it again this season itd definetly be aside from a euphoric moment itd definitely be a w.t.f again?!!! moment.

Reaction Score
The freshmen class we had in 2010-11 was leaps and bounds better than what we have this year. I think we can make the NCAA but let's not kid ourselves
pretty much the same sentiment around here in `11. Sure that recruiting class turned out great but before the season people werent to happy about our class especially since we got "the other Lamb" lol! I learned after `11 and `14 that until we`re officially out of it we have a chance to cut down the nets. Ill never bet against this program again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom